NewCelica.org Forum banner

wassup

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Zero 
#1 ·
wassup people anyone from nz here.
i have a 1994 celica 2lt i haven't done much to it jus a straight throug airfilter connected to a pipe that goes into my bumper and a stainless exhaust o the back also taken out one of my resonators.

#2 ·
Hey welcome onboard :wiggle:

I'm from New Zealand. I drive a 2000 Celica and I live in Auckland. Great to see some Kiwi out here ;)

#4 ·
Choice! We have a few other Kiwi's around here, haven't seen them lately though! One of them lives around Parnell and has the new generation Celica as a lease car.

CAI is the Cold Air Intake, it replaces the air filter air box unit and the idea is to get cooler air into the engine.

The country's cracking down hard on boy-racers aye. Gonna be tough for us car enthusiasts.

#5 ·
oh ok i work in ellerslie stay in manukau. where bouts do you stay?
yea true that it will be hard for us to modify our cars especially with the carbon emissions coming out next year i fink.
so i guess i can say i have an CAI when i pop the bonnet after a drive my airfilter pretty cold.
so is yours a DIY CAI or is it a brand name one.

#6 ·
I live around Orakei. I got the AEM CAI which is an American brand. They just happened to be one of the 1st ones to offer CAIs for my Celica.

What's the carbon emissions thingy about? Sounds like something drastic!! Its bad enough that we're getting all these other stuff like LVV right now..

#7 ·
the carbon emmisions just heard about them bringing it out not to sure on the details though. Yea the vvtl-i engine i read somewhere they stopped production of it because it didn't pass the european carbon emmisions standards.But hopefully they will go easy on us over hear lols.
i test drove a 2000 celica yesterday with the vvtl-i engine feels quick but the guy wouldn't let me rev it out though got the nice toyota grumbling sound to it.

#8 ·
Awesome! Was it the 6 speed, VVTL-i model? The kick comes in just after 6k rpm. If it was from a dealership you should inform them that the engine was designed to rev'ed beyond 6k to utilize the Lift, or otherwise there'd be no point to have this VVTL-i engine and you might as well buy the cheaper imported VVT-i Celica (same model, but without the +40 HP Lift zone). I wonder how many salesman are actually aware of this obvious fact :<

#9 ·
it was the vvtl-i but it was automatic. apparently the manual ones are quite rear. pretty cool though it has a four speed manual option and the gear change is on the steering wheel. he knew that the engine was vvtl-i but i don't think he knew what that was.
i like the kick those engines give my mums altezza has it i think. around 4500 5000 it lags not sure if thats normal butthen it hits 6000 and the noise changes and pulls you back into your seat.
an extra 40hp when it lifts though thats awsome im guessing you can get more power out of those engines than you can a normal one?

#10 ·
You can, however that auto transmission, or more to the point, the torque converter is very limiting.

It may seem cool with all the buttons on the steering wheel, but that doesn't perform as well as it may seem. It actually isn't that "controllable" like a manual transmission. Unlike the 6speed, it is harder to land in Lift after shifting. :(

Cheers on the purchase, it's one heck of a handling performer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.