NewCelica.org Forum banner

Toyota paint sucks

4K views 46 replies 31 participants last post by  DesigningEcho 
#1 ·
I need to vent.

The durability of Toyota's paint jobs is pathetic :thumbdown:thumbdown. I'm considering rarely washing my car anymore because every time i wash it, it looks worse than before i wash it. A handful of new scratch marks, deep swirls, paint chips, bubbles, ect shows up as soon as the car dries. I am very careful when i drive. I drive on paved roads, garage the car and park in safe areas. I've also tried paint cleaner, polishing, and waxing and instead of causing the car appear cleaner it simply makes all the blemishes more visible.

What gives? does it scratch every time a leaf falls on it? I understand black cars show more. However my last car was GM and the front bumper had a chip or two and the paint still felt smooth even after 7 years. On my celica it looks like someone fired a shotgun at it and the doors are rough. Sad considering i've put more care into the celica than that car. Water stains are horrible as well. Unless the car is completely dry, every drop will stain

anyone feel my pain?

#5 ·
2000 and Black... still looks good for 129k miles. Toyota rarely has paint problems. Paint isn't a warranted item unless the car is still under the bumper-to-bumper time.

I'd have to guess repaint... and not by Toyota.

#8 ·
my 02's midnight blue paint is DESTROYED... but i blame the previous owner.

a nice cut n' polish will get rid of 90% of it tho. so im not too bothered on it.

#9 ·
I have a super white 02. From far away or at first glance it looks fine, but when you get close up you can see there are chips all over, and more chips that have been painted with some chip repair paint or something. You can tell the paint on the wing is just barely beginning to oxidize. Some gray liquid ran down the side in one spot and stained it. Also, if you look at the side in just the right light, you can see all kinds of orange peel.

Now I make it sound all terrible, but really I am just a super picky person and notice stuff like that. If you dont know its there, from a little ways away the car looks just fine. Still though, I plan to put at least 100k miles on this car, so Im going to have it repainted. There are just some things I cant tolerate. I really like that tricoat Starfire Pearl they put on the Lexus IS250/350

#12 ·
mine is also plagued with 'chip repairs' *cringes*

...but, as for the gripe with orange peel...even $50k cars will be plagued with orange peel... because the sad truth is that factory paint jobs are typically the worst paint jobs out there... PERIOD. (more-so for domestic cars) ...They WILL however provide the best corrosion resistance.

#10 ·
Toyota's paint job on the Celica is pretty shoddy. It's like they shot a few layers of each, color and clear coat. :faint: It's very noticable on the side mirrors.

Despite this shoddy job, I am not experiencing your problems with my car's paint only with the mirrors.

#27 ·
I got the same problem, the paint on my mirrors and on the stock hoodscoop have faded and are starting to look really oxidized, i dunno if its just the red paint or what.

On the other hand, I also have an 86 MR2 thats painted bright red and the paint looks better on it then on my 2000 celica in some places.

#14 ·
they are the best in that, they cover the base metal more thoroughly then a bodyshop would be capable of... but from an appearance stand-point... they are a little on the crappy side. a good paint shop will cut and polish out any clear defects. (the factory doesnt have the time or the desire to do so, and most customers wont notice)

also... i've heard horror stories of color miss-match from one side of a car to the other from the factory (sad when the front of a mini-van is 3 color variances from the rear)

#16 ·
toyota paint is pretty good as compared to body shops.. bodyshops always cut corners.
the factory paint on TRD poly kits is better than any bodyshop will ever paint. just and try to make the factory paint chip or come off . i have had someone back into my bumper distroying my hood and still didn't damage my paint on my bumper. since then i have had my front repainted time and time again by multiple body shops and none of them can get paint to stick to the poly kit like toyota can.

#23 ·
-thats why i said 'good' paint shop... realisticly... id only throw about 8% of shops into that category.

...and the plastic bumpers on modern cars are notoriously difficult to refinish. because of a chemical injected into the plastic, so that it is easily removed from the mold in which it was cast. this chemical likes to leach out over time, and therefore causes problems with the paint... shops have to pre-bake most plastic bumpers over 140degrees (F) for 15 minutes or more to try and flash off the chemicals, and that still doesnt always get rid of the release chemicals.

Factory paint jobs DO adhere better then a body-shop paintjob will (hence the better corrosion protection), but visually are... well, lacking >.< ...because, like said before, there isnt enough time or money to polish out the factory paint, And there are many color match issues (not as much nowa-days)

so, in my eyes... a good quality re-spray over a thuroughly sanded factory paint job, cut and polished... will be FAR superior to the original paint job ^-~ (visually, and slightly more durable)

#25 ·
Yeah I gotta say for an 8 year old car with 160k on it my paint has held up remarkably well. Our Kia minivan is only 6 years old and it flakes all over the place. My step dad's miata is the same way. The only car that I can say has held up better than my celica paint wise, is my dads protege 5 but it has always been parked in the garage whereas my car has been outside for the last two or three years

#30 ·
forgot about this thread..... i tried taking pictures but my camera isn't good enough to capture what i want to show. numerous pinpoint sized white/grey dots all over the paint. primer showing?

i checked, the car was never repainted. Next time i purchase a car, it'll be a honda

#31 ·
forgot about this thread..... i tried taking pictures but my camera isn't good enough to capture what i want to show. numerous pinpoint sized white/grey dots all over the paint. primer showing?

i checked, the car was never repainted. Next time i purchase a car, it'll be a honda
umm...lol?

#33 ·
i think you got a bad celica or its just your eyes :laugh: Don't blame a whole company cus only you got paint problems. And why do you blame a company that does not specializing in paint? Not all toyota vehicles coming out from the factory have the same company painting them :eslap:. Most of the people here have stock paint and it stays pretty well. My stock paint still looks like new and its an 8 year old car :shrugs:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.