NewCelica.org Forum banner

Joey's Celi. Need all the help and advice I can get.

6K views 52 replies 25 participants last post by  R I C H I E 
#1 ·
Ok guys, I am new here and wanted to show you guys what I'm working with. My best friend passed away and left me this 2002 GT. He used to have it clean as fuck. Long story short, he died, it sat for nearly a year in probate. I need to revive this car in his name. Evidently someone messed with it while it was in holding. I'm just gonna show the pics instead of trying to explain every little detail of what happened to it.

When I first picked it up.

The next few pics will show what I've managed to accomplish so far. Mostly small stuff, ziptied the front bumper cover back on (currently looking for a new body kit), as far as under the hood ...it holds a brand new motor installed by Toyota, new fuel pump, two new rear Kumho tires, new hood, new passenger door window (was busted from punk kids), and I've painted most of the interior. It was poorly painted white and Joey never liked it ...so just for a temp fix bc it threw off a very bad glare on the windshield at night, I repainted.

So many things I want for this car. Thanks for looking and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I know nothing about Celicas. Slowly learning tho being a part of this forum.

See less See more
#2 ·
Damn, you must have meant a lot to him for him to leave you the car. My condolences. :sadwave:

Just get rid of the front bumper and the tail lights.

Complete the TRD kit.

The fenders look like they fit well, despite not being my tastes.

Other than that, I have nothing much to add.
Do you plan on totally revamping the car or leaving stuff that Joey had done to it?

#3 ·
Thanks Zero. I guess so, we spent a lot of time on it, but he was the mastermind, I just helped turn a wrench.

I just want to fulfill what he wanted for it. Which right now I just gotta get it back to the way he had it, then improve from there. I thought of getting a whole new body kit, maybe wide body, but not sure bc they get pricey. Def need new taillights, they're cracked. It's got 16's on it now, thought of going with 17's. He also wanted a cf hood, so I've been pricing those. And can someone tell me why the speedo is 13 miles faster than what it's really going? I know tire size can affect that but, 15's (stock) to 16's would lower the speedo, right? Maybe something electrical w the tranny? Or?

#4 ·
new front bumper(trd or stock bumper with ww lip),
stock fenders,
stock tail lights,
fix dent,
new sun roof glass,
remove lambo doors and go stock,
fill the holes on the hatch,
remove decals,
oil change,
coolant flush,
check spark plugs,
tranny fluid.

Then you can start modding. Just don't rice it. As for the speedo, maybe bad cluster or speed sensor.
Im glad youre doing such a good thing for a friend. Hope everything turns out well.

#10 ·
Thanks @CRBCelica and @boothten. Out of curiosity, do you guys know what type of front bumper that is? Is ...or was ..it the TRD?
It looks like a busted up invader front:

I called Toyota, they wanted $3000 for that kit. Lol. That might take some saving up.
Yeah, that's fucking extortion. Don't get to the dealer for it, you can usually find a kit for sale pretty regularly in the FS section here on nc.org for fairly cheap.

#8 ·
oil change,
coolant flush,
check spark plugs,
tranny fluid.

Doing all of this tmrw, plus an alignment. Gonna get the suspension and CV axles checked as well. Got a popping noise going on, but only when I turn the wheel all the way to right/left into a parking spot. It doesn't do it going down the road or on turns. Someone said it could be sway bar stabilizer end links? I'll just have them look it over real good.

#9 ·
try finding a used one. Theres a few that gets posted up on here for sale otherwise contact rafa. check out the for sale section.

#11 ·
Wow, no shit, yea looks like it. Cool. Yea I've been keeping an eye out there, but I'm just a little skeptical being that I've never bought anything like that, not to mention over the Internet. I am waiting on a price from a guy selling a full Bomex kit on here.

#13 ·
Wow, no shit, yea looks like it. Cool. Yea I've been keeping an eye out there, but I'm just a little skeptical being that I've never bought anything like that, not to mention over the Internet. I am waiting on a price from a guy selling a full Bomex kit on here.
Just, be aware of who you're buying from.
Whenever you're interested in buying something from someone on the forum, just check their iTrader + the seller feedback forum. Make sure they aren't on the shady sellers list, and that they haven't had any negative experiences associated with them and you should be good. Just don't be an idiot about it.

And yeah, like ^he said, I personally wouldn't get Bomex, but that's just me.

#15 ·
I would buy the used parts on here, especially body kits.
You'll find someone selling a decently fitting bumper or so. Like Boothten said, look around for a TRD front bumper here. Someone might be selling it and costs WAY less than what Toyota is.

Here's what the TRD front bumper looks like:

I am assuming that Joey's car came with it originally, since it had/has the sides and rear lip on it.

#16 ·
I think the owner before him changed it out. But I like the TRD. Not bad at all. I gotta find a passenger side skirt tho. It got ripped off during a tow, that's also what happened to the front bumper and passenger side fender. I plan on getting fenders as well. But with the lambo doors, I don't think stock fenders will work.

#19 ·
I would say keep the vertical doors. Its ricey,but can be pulled off. Keep it on for your bestie's memory. He wanted them,so keep them.

I would say dont change too much,just fix whatever is broken/dented. Keep the TRD sides and rear. They are common,but clean. Just get the TRD front. New TRD front from the dealership is $900+. I do believe musicrevolution still has his used TRD front for sale for $350+shipping . Just contact XBernie so he can get in touch with musicrevolution. Best part abt his TRD front is that its already painted spec blue.

How many miles is on the celica? Check to see if it's low on oil and fill her up. 00-02 1zz's tend to develop an.ooil burning issue. So either:
1)rebuild the engine +hone+03 updated piston rings
2)swap a 2zz
3)swap an 03+ 1zz

Just make sure u keep an eye on your oil levels
4) drive until the current engine is ran into the ground.
As for tails,I really like the 03+ tails on spec blue ccelica's.

#22 ·
How many miles is on the celica? Check to see if it's low on oil and fill her up. 00-02 1zz's tend to develop an.ooil burning issue. So either:
1)rebuild the engine +hone+03 updated piston rings
2)swap a 2zz
3)swap an 03+ 1zz
60,7xx miles on the actual car. New motor (not sure what kind) has less than break in mileage. Around 350 miles. he fried the previous with nitrous lol. He knew he would tho, already had plans of getting a new one.

I'm so unsure about the Lamborghini doors. I know it's ricey, but ...ahh idk. No one else has them where I live lol, so it kinda sets it off. Although the right side strut is getting weak.

#20 ·
I'm sorry to hear about your friend. You are really great for bringing your friend's celica back for him:thumbup:. Definitely get rid of the tails, get some 03+ taillights. Next, just like everyone said, be on the lookout for the TRD front bumper in the for sale section.

#21 ·
:sadwave:-I'm sorry to hear about your friend Joey (He has a cool name too).
He's lucky to have an awesome friend like yourself who is willing to bring back his CELICA.
Anyways, I wish you the best and good luck with everything.
Since it's Joey's car and you're willing to finish his ride, I suggest not doing too much with what he's already done to it.

Here's what I suggest doing...
Keep the Lambo doors and Fenders to honor a part of his idea.
Find a TRD front bumper to complete the side and rear TRD kit.
Shave the rear windshield wiper and antenna.
Get a BB lip spoiler.
Restore those headlights.
Fix all the dents and re-paint his whole car in white.
Paint the front and rear brakes Red.
Get some nice aftermarket Racing seats.
Get some nice pair of Aftermarket rims.
Find some TYC red tailights to replace those fugly ones.
Do a full Engine tune (Oil change and etc)
Once everything is done, point up, look into the sky and say, "I did it all for you!"

:popcorn::eatpop:

#23 ·
And thank you guys for all your kind words. A lot of ppl say I should do away with the lambo doors, I am giving that a lot of thought. And for me personally, being 6'2", it's hard as hell getting in and out haha.

So with the tail lights, aside from being cracked and needing replacement for that, you guys think I should go stock 03's? Or could I get some smoked ones? I'm not all up to speed on what makes a ricer. Other than making a car look fast that's not.

#28 ·
My condolances, it's awsome you are trying to get the celica back in shape for Joey.

I'm pretty much on the same level as most on here.

-get a TRD front bumper
-I don't know if your friend put on those fenders, or the previous owner. If it was the previous owner, I would go back to stock, if it was your friend, I would try to get the same one's..... same with the lambo doors.
-get rid of the holes on the trunk, rear windshieldwiper and antena
-get dent's and scratches fixed, maybe get a full paintjob? (if your friend mentioned changing the colour to for example white or whatever colour, I would paint it that colour)
-brashboy spoiler
-some nice 18" wheels would like nice
-lower it to get rid of that offroad-look
-some 03+ rearlights or the TYC-reds (those are pretty rare I believe)

That would make the car look clean and cool IMO

Good luck with whatever you decide, your an awsome friend for doing this.

#30 ·
-I don't know if your friend put on those fenders, or the previous owner.
-get dent's and scratches fixed, maybe get a full paintjob?
-lower it to get rid of that offroad-look
He did put those fenders on when he got the door kit. But he really wanted the F1 style, I remember him telling me that. I think the F1 style he mentioned had just one long vent instead of those two.

Definitely gonna get body work and paint done. He liked the blue tho so I'll keep it that color.

It is lowered. Not sure how much tho. It's got a nice set of coilovers. It's in the shop overnight. Went to get an alignment and the left wheel was 1 degree in so they had to order camber bolts.

Oh and about the antenna and rear wiper. Can you or someone show me a pic of what I should be looking for, especially for the wiper? I mean I know about the antenna as far as getting a smaller one, but is there a certain type?

#31 ·
get a honda s2000 antenna. The early model s2000's will work best

#33 ·
Thank you guys for all your opinions, advice and knowledge. I am gonna have someone take a look at the head, I hear some ticking. And the tranny, going into 3rd grinds ...I have to wait about 3 secs before I fully engage. Then I'll move onto wheels, I think I'll go with 18's. Headlights, tails ...then onto the body work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.