NewCelica.org Forum banner

MWR Flywheel - Problems

7K views 47 replies 18 participants last post by  vegeta4ss 
#1 ·
Just about to order one. . .

anyone had any grief/ used one, before i get it?

its still a fairly new product, i beleive, just wondering if anyone has had a chance to show faults yet?
are users happy with it?

not trying to start the ''what are the effects debate'' its not required :p im just asking about the quality / reviews

thanks guys

#11 ·
its a flywheel what could go wrong???
Believe me, something can go wrong! I know what you mean and I use to think it's a simple and safe mod too. However, The flywheel has a direct impact on the disengagement. My brand new fidanza wasn't disengaging properly and caused me troubles all the time I had it. That was a nightmare for me. Nothing cured it but a new TRD flywheel (I tried different clutches including a stock one, extended pushrod, ...). And, unfortunately, it ended up destroying my third gear and replacing the whole tranny for a new one. Everything is perfect with the tranny/clutch/flywheel since then. I am not saying all fidanza flywheels are bad (since a lot of members seems to like theirs) but mine was and I heard of at least 2-3 others that had similar issues with it. Bad production batch maybe, I dunno, but the thickness was slightly wrong on mine. In any case, that is enough for me to avoid any fidanza product and to suggest people not to buy this flywheel.

Soo, yea, it's good thing to check the different experiences people had with the flywheel you are about to buy. But, I can't say anything on the MWR flywheel, I've never tried it ..

#3 ·
Lol. you keep changing your Sig - :)

well, hopefully not alot. looking for things like poor mating with certain clutch materials, juddering. and anyhing that may possibly go wrong.

theres a clip on eBay of a flywheel with the ring gear seperated from the rest of the ''1 peice'' flywheel. wether that was due to fault, driver, or what i dont know. but looking for such problems (or, lack of problems) like that :)
think the above was a fidanza. havent got a link to it though.

#6 ·
just had a dig... yea Kami sell it for $504 (compared to MWR's being $315)

pretty big difference for ~0.1lbs. MWR's is ''under 9lbs'' ... found a guy in Oz who weighed his at ~4.01kg (8.8lbs) so, is actuallythe same as the Tyre-R in total mass anyway.

Tom's looks favorable. thats up for grabs for about $440 from a USA seller.

#14 · (Edited)
Not really, but this can happen after running with lack of disengagement.

Soo, my previous tranny never really grinded. But, with the fidanza, I almost always felt something was not right while putting the stick on/off gear even though the clutch was floored. Like, it wasn't smooth. The most obvious was taking the stick out of the first gear. It felt like it was almost stuck there sometimes (you don't want to force it out to much either ..). It was worst when cold. It felt better with heat but, with the outcome, it clearly was wearing the tranny, it was a matter of time. The reason, the clutch/flywheel was not disengaging the drivetrain properly. Soo, I adjusted the clutch to the maximum, used the pushrod, change the clutch .. I did it all spending big $$$ removing the tranny several times. It sometimes temporarily helped but I never found a setup/setting that would make it disengage correctly and permanently with the fidanza. And then one day, the third gear got destroyed while driving smoothly. I should have removed it the first time I suspected it to be at fault. But since it was not too bad when hot, I ended up adjusting/changing everything else and using it for too long.

Now the good news, I then made sure the blown third gear (that I was hearing moving around in the tranny after it broke) damages the tranny so much that they had no choice but to give me a brand new one (under warranty). ;)

#13 ·
i received mine on 03/09/2010, i'll hopefully get to it sometime next week, but i won't be running my engine for a while

#18 ·
damn, seriously? A couple weeks ago I find out my southbend clutch is crap from some reviews and now I am also seeing that the Fidanza is troublesome.

I read on here about good experiences and I buy the part and set it aside waiting to collect other stuff and right before installation time comes I start seeing negative marks against the parts I bought. This is continuing to happen lately so maybe that is a sign I should stop modding this car and begin parting out?

good luck with your mwr flywheel, I didn't know they made their own.

#19 ·
I also bought it because everyone like theirs on this site. And btw, my experience with the flywheel was 4-5 years ago.

Soo, that makes 2 more people having problems with the fidanza (most likely). I have a local friend who had trouble with his (he bought his around the same time as mine). Mine and his are the only 2 that we've proved without a doubt to be at fault. I have also seen another celica at a local dealer having similar issues too, he had that same flywheel. And recently, I was checking for an MR-S online (2zz). In the description, it said everything was fine except for a trouble similar to what I experienced with the transmission. And guess what ? Yeah, he had a fidanza flywheel on. And that's just a few example of similar situations. Soo, given the good reviews of this flywheel around here, I guess it's a matter of being lucky or not with the fidanza. Which is, imo, not acceptable from a performance company.

My advice, if you think you are experiencing similar issues and plan on keeping your car a while, change this flywheel before something else is screwed up. If you're happy with yours, than great!

#20 ·
I know a guy who bought two fidanza flywheels one for him and one for a friend. HE goes to put his on and the clutch won't disnengage. Takes it off and puts the other one on and it works properly.

I've driven the Fiddy flywheel cars and I don't like it. I'll stick with my MWR 10.5lb earlier generation flywheel, which I love.

#21 ·
when you looking at ordering? as you know i'm also v.interested in these mwr jobs - what clutch are you gonna run with it. my clutch is on its lasts so i'm looking at end of May if you want to work something out?

#22 ·
Going to consider the MWR flywheel aswell, Im currently running an exedy organic stage 1 clutch with stock flywheel and i dont like the feel of the clutch itself. Its great when disengaging but the pedal feels very light. I recently drove a friends SP charged compressor with a helix clutch and fidanza and it tottaly won me over. For the price however the MWR is what im swaying towards nearer summer.

#28 ·
Sorry, I didn't mean to scare people! But that's some experience worth sharing. Chances are, if you never experienced anything like I and other members have described running it for several miles, you should be fine ..

#25 ·
dan did your car ever shake or chatter when starting from a dead stop?
I just resurfaced my flywheel and have an aftermarket clutch (stage 1 competition clutch 6-puck spring centered)
Everytime I let out the pedal unless the RPM's are over 2,000 the car shakes.
Not to jack the thread but what in the hell could be causing this??
I also had the problem with the tranny wanting to stick in 1st, but it was only when I got on the gas then let off, and shifted at mid RPM, high RPM it was fine....

#29 · (Edited)
My $0.02

We've been selling these flywheels for a few years now with just one design revision which dropped the weight a bit. They're still a little heavier than the aluminum flywheels.

I have our steel flywheels in both my street cars and our LSR car. For the street I feel the weight (yes, about 8.8 lbs) is a perfect balance between performance and drivability. For the race car I don't have to worry about every ounce since I'm racing for at least a mile at a time but I find the weight makes it easy to launch with a big sticky tire and a big turbo. If I had an NA engine and less tire I'd probably run an aluminum flywheel. The steel flywheel has done great at 700+ hp and 9500, no problems.

In both cases it's nice to be able to resurface the flywheel just like a stock piece when the clutch is replaced.

And on the functional concerns, I don't believe we've ever had anyone report a clutch engagement problem with our flywheels. Occasionally people have had issues when using the stock flywheel and the fidanza but in every case I can think of it has been an issue with the clutch or the hydraulic system, not the flywheel. I have never seen any of these flywheels with an incorrect step height.

#31 · (Edited)
Occasionally people have had issues when using the stock flywheel and the fidanza but in every case I can think of it has been an issue with the clutch or the hydraulic system, not the flywheel. I have never seen any of these flywheels with an incorrect step height.
As an info, I have never changed anything on my hydraulic system. It's been working like a charm now with the same hydraulic system for several years. I also have tried 3 different clucthes (2 RPS street max and 1 stock clutch) with that fidanza flywheel. Same problem every time.

#36 ·
I have an MWR 9Lb Chromoly flywheel with ARP bolts and LOVE IT! Revs are quick, engagement is smooth and solid. I have an ACT heavy duty clutch with a performance street disk, never slips and I get on it quite often, I live on a highway and take another major highway to work so I like to have some fun running through the gears. I've had this setup for over two years now and it's still very strong. MWR is awesome, good service and fast shipping. I will order from them again and again!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.