NewCelica.org Forum banner

1zz-fe build up

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  robthegr9 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Chen's car is not a good example of properly modified 1ZZ-FE. Check out Rob's Spyder from www.nleonline.com. Now that's done right! A buildup like there's isn't necessary unless you're planning for 300-400whp.

#3 ·
Not to mention he has more money then God!

#5 ·
If you just want a mild buildup (i.e. rods and pistons) it's not that expensive if you were to do the labor yourself.

#6 ·
unfortunately... most of us will not be able to do the labor ourself :( I wish I do though that would have saved me alot of money :D
Besides I would not trust myself to do it myself unless I have alot of experience with building the motor, it seem way too complicated and I know I will have extra part after I put the engine back together which I would not know where it came from :D

#9 ·
LilRocketSpyder said:
I have a shortblock I will build up for you for a small fee.
LR's definitely the man if you want a 1ZZ built up. He's working right now on swapping a 2ZZ into a Spyder.

If I was more sure of what I want exactly to do with my Spyder or how well the 1ZZ can hold up to "sports car" driving. Then I would've bought that shortblock off of you by now. Maybe after I ditch my s-afc thing's will start looking better...

#10 ·
Could you put a 100 shot of Nitrous in the 1zz with weisco pistons and crower rods? Or do you need to get valves as well? When you get different pistons and rods, do you have to do some tuning with the ecu, or just if the nitrous is added? Then what about the crank, is it stong enough to handle this? And then what about injectors?

Basically, what needs to be done to get 100 shot of Nitrous safely? Can you go higher than 100? Thanks for the input.

#12 ·
HoustonCelica said:
Could you put a 100 shot of Nitrous in the 1zz with weisco pistons and crower rods? Or do you need to get valves as well? When you get different pistons and rods, do you have to do some tuning with the ecu, or just if the nitrous is added? Then what about the crank, is it strong enough to handle this? And then what about injectors?

Basically, what needs to be done to get 100 shot of Nitrous safely? Can you go higher than 100? Thanks for the input.

Yes the 1zz bottom end will take a 100 shot if the rods and pistons are upgraded.

I would go with a wet kit and leave the injectors stock. The stock ECU is a pain to try and run larger injectors with. A greddy e-manage or a pfc is almost a necessity if you up the injector size.

Valves have nothing to do with N20 so the stock top end will do just fine. :)

#13 ·
Sup guys, rob from no limit. On here with an oooollld user name, but whatever. If anyone is interested in what i did to the 1zz, heres a quick summary, if you want details feel free to email me:

I had the block completly ripped apart and our machine shop fully sleeved it. I didnt use a block guard, but its probally not even needed, as the sleeving was done. I left the stock crank alone, didnt do anything with that. Used Crower rods and Weisco pistons 8.8:1 compression. Fully blue printed and balanced, but they said wasnt much needed as all the parts were mainly in spec anyhow. Replaced all bearings with OEM toyota stuff, and replaced the oil pump, all seals, etc... Head was fully ported & polished, valve job, springs & retainers, you name it, it was basically done. He said the head took a lot longer then most because of the size, and was a bit difficult to do, but it got done :) Oh yea, i had them maching the head and the block a bit, to hopefully raise the compression up a little, as i wasnt thrilled in what pistons i went with. Not sure what the actual compression turned out, probaly only about 8.9:1 I used stock Toyota head bolts, as i didnt have time to get APR to make some or match one up. Thats basically it on the motor internals, used stock cams and timing chain. Didnt see a reason to mess with any of that.

For the turbo setup, im using a Garret GT2540R turbo, same one as chen is using on the axxis one. Running 525cc injectors and the apexi power fc. I have water injection and DEI cryo O2 chiller, but never use that. Last dyno run was 285 HP w/ 250ft/lbs of torque. When all said and done, and everything is 100%, Im hoping to lay down 350 or so.

#15 ·
Is Chen still planning to switch out his 1ZZ? I would love to see what can be done with this engine. Honda has such a head start. I hope that playing around with the 1ZZ and 2ZZ will yield excellent HP results. Happy hunting. I would love to have seen what Chen's MR2 would have put down in the USCC competition.

#16 ·
"Cost before turbo and to reach 350 is tuning still the hold up or more parts to add'

No, not parts, just basically tuning and getting everything good before going on the dyno. I have a few exhaust leaks that are becoming quite annyoing. Anyway, the only thing to add now is NO2, but thats only if i wanna see the 400 marker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.