NewCelica.org Forum banner

Toyota paint sucks

4K views 46 replies 31 participants last post by  DesigningEcho 
#1 ·
I need to vent.

The durability of Toyota's paint jobs is pathetic :thumbdown:thumbdown. I'm considering rarely washing my car anymore because every time i wash it, it looks worse than before i wash it. A handful of new scratch marks, deep swirls, paint chips, bubbles, ect shows up as soon as the car dries. I am very careful when i drive. I drive on paved roads, garage the car and park in safe areas. I've also tried paint cleaner, polishing, and waxing and instead of causing the car appear cleaner it simply makes all the blemishes more visible.

What gives? does it scratch every time a leaf falls on it? I understand black cars show more. However my last car was GM and the front bumper had a chip or two and the paint still felt smooth even after 7 years. On my celica it looks like someone fired a shotgun at it and the doors are rough. Sad considering i've put more care into the celica than that car. Water stains are horrible as well. Unless the car is completely dry, every drop will stain

anyone feel my pain?

#34 ·
I have a red 2000 GT (w/92k on the body) and my paint job is pretty much trashed. There are horrible swirl marks across the hood that I have tried waxing & buffing out, nothing seems to work on that.

As far as the mirrors, on the top of the "arm" between the mirror & the door there are a tons of pin-hole sized white dots. On both side not just one mirror.

And there are some spots on the edges of the fenders & doors where the paint seems to have chipped from the edge.

The roof seems to be ok, besides the fact that the previous owner thought it would be a good idea to run over the edge of the sunroof when buffing the top of the car... Needless to say it stripped the tint off the top...

Most of the rest of the damage to the paint job I would just blame on the previous owner, some scratches & dings.... The hood could possible have been due to the previous owner as-well

Overall I am pretty disappointed in how the area around the mirror's look, and the chipping at the edges...

Oh-well, excuse to cough up the money for a new paint job I guess....

#35 ·
i got A 2000 black gts and theres defects in the paint everywhere, water spots that dont come out even after waxing and buffing and some parts of the paint even have an orange peel textured look so yea i hate the paint on my celi too and i feel your pain

#39 · (Edited)
this thread is too small of a sample size to represent the whole celica population. Not everyone is on this forum, or will post on the internet at all.

If you search around, numerous people are unhappy with the paint jobs on other Toyota models. The mechanical quality is still great ( for the most part) but they are slacking in areas such as this.

#38 ·
My 00 in silver looks great from 10 feet away but if you get close to it you will start to notice a lot more. The worst part by far are the chips all over the front clip. I take good care of the car to, garaged, baths, wax, clay bar, etc.

#40 · (Edited)
i got an 00' gts. midnight blue. when i bought my car it had a deep scratch and some scrapes on my rear bumber. my hood had a few paint chips too. luckily i can get all my body work done free. the easy stuff i do it myself like buffing or touch-up. the dents, deep scratches and pain job is all one by my bro-in law. all i have to do is buy the materials. i think if you're gonna paint your car, why not go all custom instead of a different stock color. and why copy stock colors from manufacturers.

my bro-in law's work. his RX-7.
:eek:riginal color, stock rx-7 red.
:custom blue w/ candy coat.

#42 ·
why not go all custom instead of a different stock color. and why copy stock colors from manufacturers.
Cool both easy questions this morning!!

1) Because custom most of the time is dumb, I'll leave the paint mixing and color decisions to the professionals to choose. And they typically choose a variety of stock colors to match all likings and such.

2) Because you can see in person tangibly exactly what the paint is going to look, feel, and hold up like before you pay thousands of dollars. And many times the paint is premier quality stuff. Like lexus's paint is all prismatic for example.

#44 ·
And what do you mean "You Checked if the car was painted" You do know that it is possible to have a car painted without showing up on a carfax? For example my car when I bought it from toyota was on a second painted roof, hood, and hatch that they failed to mention in the carfax and that same dealer did the work! I had to get my roof repainted because they didnt seal it right and it was bubbling. Yes the "Toyota Place" painted it bad.

#45 ·
mine is HORRIBLE! It's an 02 carbon blue. I'm pretty careful with it, so there aren't more than like 2 chips in it. but the rest is crap. the door handles are all scratched up, the edges along the roof and hatch look like somebody took sandpaper to them, the wing looks like the paint is like, boiling away or something, the bottom of the wing has drip spots and you can tell it was sitting on like newspaper or something when it was painted, there's even some red spots from whatever it was sitting on, not to mention tons of little dot kinda things, plus orange peel, plus all these spots that look like tiny dents, but from the inside out. On top of that my stock wheels are like, being corroded away or something.

When i have the money i'll def get it repainted, probably the same color too. I like spectra blue but carbon blue is growing on me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.