NewCelica.org Forum banner

3S-GTE in a 7th Gen GT-S

90K views 151 replies 54 participants last post by  D man 
#1 · (Edited)
So can it be done?
Who makes a mount kit?
How much will it run?

JUST KIDDING!!!!! Not another one of those!
This is a project I have been thinking about for a few years, ya know take the bitch out of my 7th gen GTS...
I got a 3SGTE/Wiring harness/ECU/etc... about 6+ months ago and have been waiting for time.
I got some time this week and we got it hung so far! Axles are super straight! Making front and rear mounts next week and I am going to need a SMIM (Sheet Metal Intake manifold).
There is some space issues with the cowl and the long intake manifold that came with my 4th gen 3SGTE.
I could hack up the cowl and make it fit then fab somthing for the windshield wipers OR I could leave the cowl alone and make a SMIM to fit and the SMIM will make more power... No brainer there! SMIM it is!
This is not one of those 'Can I do It threads'
I am doing it and just going to fill ya'all in...
There will be more to come next week!
Not a great pic but that is a Caldina 3SGTE (Coil Pack Motor) sitting back with that S Engine Family Gangsta Lean.
My goal is to keep everything functioning like stock, AC, Gauges ETC...

BTW, the 3S motor fits pretty great so far... maybe there is something I have not run into yet that is the reason everyone acts like it is impossible. I cant believe no one makes a kit...
After i get this running in FWD mode I am buy the rear subframe assembly from a GT4 and going to explore the possibilitys!

See less See more
#34 ·
All i know is that there are monster 3sgte motors and is a well known motor with so much potential. The 2ZZ although a strong motor has not made it up the Engine God's list, i hate to say. 2 Motors that are well known when built right are the 3sgte on the 4cyl side and 2JZ on the 6 cyl side. 3sgte are very well known. I remember the 7 sec paseo running the 3sgte, Rod Millen's hill climb monster ~1200HP, HKS Celica FWD 3sgte, Rally winnings, Fensports a good example. There was a 3sgte 700HP Silvia. Im sure i like the lift of the 2zz but 3sgte is king for 4 cyl toyotas since the late 80s. 3sgtes make 2jz's on some to many occasions look like chumps. but thats just my opinion with a little bit of history/fact.

#35 · (Edited)
trdproven, I agree
This is a historical motor...
There are much higher tech motors made today...
2JZ is OLD technology... I dont hear many talking ish about it. (well not on Toyota Boards, might be differant on the LSx boards)

BTW, no one caught my trivia quetion before.
I asked if anyone else know what other Legendary Toyota motor shares the same bore and stroke as the 3S?
Answer is the 2JZ
2JZ is 86mm bore x 86 mm stroke - 6 cyl / 3.0
3S is 86mm bore x 86 mm stroke - 4 cyl / 2.0
huh...

Where can I have the mounts input into a cad design so I can have a run of them made out of a solid piece of Aluminum or steel? They would look alot nicer...
Im thinking I will find someone next to the CNC machines I play with at the PRI show every year in Orlando

#39 ·
I hope!

Got a little update, SMIM (sheet metal intake manifold) construction is slowly in progress!
Cut the base of the stock Caldina intake manifold, using it for a flange and base.
Started to shape the runners, Short runners with a big plenum is the goal.
There is really not alot of room left behind the motor in the 7th gen.
I snapped a couple pics of the progress so far...

You know what would be funny... If this was all just a really really elaborate game of photoshop. But still this is pretty cool. U should have just gone all out and do AWD too.
I thought of you today so threw the start of this SMIM on the motor and snapped a pic;

Photoshop that!

#41 ·
i dont know why people have such a boner for the 3S-GTE. its old, heavy and only makes a little over 250. the wiring to get it to run will be a nightmare. the stock gauges wont work with its ECU. the engine is backwards from the ZZ family. you will need a transmission and axles, more $$$$. add all that up and you will spend more than twice what it will cost to build a 2ZZ to make more power.

#45 ·
SMIM is almost done!
Need a TB plate and provisions for all the stock sensors!

It is installed from the bottom, like I said not alot of space there but it fits nicely and will work pretty well with some cams and more airflow in the future.

This design may evolve in the future.

#47 ·
Should be interesting. Nice job so far.

I'm with the others in that there is no real reason to do this - the 2ZZ is a way better motor than the 3S. I could see doing a 1AR / 2AR / 2GR swap, but 3S seems like a waste of time these days considering the effort involved.

Still - good job so far and if this makes you happy then have at it. I hope you get it sorted without too many issues.

#50 · (Edited)
BTW I REALLY, REALLY want to do a 2GR swap next. It would be cool in the celica but the Mr2's look tempting!
Has anyone put 2GR heads on a 1GR block yet? I have had that idea since 08 and have not done anything about it, yet
Since I an dreaming I might as well tell you about my dream truck, the way a X-Runner should have been made;
With a 3UR 5.7

Edit, Sorry I had too... Since the 2GR and all these newer motors are so much better I wonder why people are still doing swaps like this in dedicated race cars;

I wonder why they pulled that new motor and all its goodness to put a old school, low tech 2J in it?

#53 ·
you've got a nice project going here. How far is Macon from McDonough? I might want to come see that shop.

#60 ·
The 2GR has some goodness fo show...
I hope to rock in a project someday.

My 3S/7th Gen Project has been idle for a couple weeks. The first of the month came and all my money left! I am just getting moving on it again. About to order FMIC and piping and get that all sorted as well as the exhaust.
DSS is taking car of the axles, however I have been flirting with making my own hybrid axles. I will probably try that on swap #2 :)
I am going to need to build a fuel return system.
For now, i am planning to stay with the Caldina ECU, so stock injectors and about 350whp max.
A Walbro 255lph or 342 will be up to that task, but I have to do some more research on where to plumb the fuel back into the tank.
I know the turbo ZZ guys are using return systems so I should be able to get some good ideas by searching.
More updates coming soon. I am hoping to be driving this car soon as it is too hot to keep riding my bike everywhere.
Budget will dictate time though:(.

40-50 miles at most

This is true, but the 2JZ and 2ZZ and 4B11, and 4G63 wouldn't be were they are now had people not innovated, experimented, and pushed/tested the limits. We'd all still have 350 V8's with 4 barrel's making 200hp and 400lb/ft torque at 4500 RPM.
That would suck

#54 ·
Exactly, same reason EVO guys were dropping the MIVEC heads at first. They no know how to technology. You don't have to think to make a 2JZ with lots of power, it's been done. They'd have to put forth original effort, design, and thought to do something new with the 2GR. It has BIG potential, its pretty strong right out of the box. 2ZZ problem all over again, new hotness and everyone is scared. They run to the old n busted, like a pacifier when they're scared.

#55 ·
you familiar with the phrase "Don't need to reinvent the wheel"? If it's results someone is after and they see how to get it with less effort/error/$$ how is that a bad thing? More importantly...I hope nothing you own is "ordinary or typical" or else what are you really saying?

Your argument boils down to spending extra to be different....nothing wrong with that but you can't fault those that spend their money a little bit more wisely for the same if not better results

#56 ·
This is true, but the 2JZ and 2ZZ and 4B11, and 4G63 wouldn't be were they are now had people not innovated, experimented, and pushed/tested the limits. We'd all still have 350 V8's with 4 barrel's making 200hp and 400lb/ft torque at 4500 RPM.

Why innovate with the 2JZ, the 7M was a great engine and makes alot of power when built. Why are people bothering with the 2JZ at all when you can just 7M it for cheaper!

Get my drift? The 2GR has potential to make some BIG numbers AND it weighs less. Google says the 2JZ-GTE in stock trim weighs in right at almost 600lbs. The 2GR weighs in at under 400lbs. For 200lbs different is nothing to sneeze at.

#59 ·
^That's the 2GR-FE though, the 2GR-FSE is a slightly different beast.

OP didn't tell us he was on ToyNat. He already knows about the built, 800+ crank horsepower twin turbo 2GR-FE. :marky: :chuckles:

#62 · (Edited)
Thanks for the posts!
With regard to the Red AWD... I dont think that is the same one as the one I know of So I would have to say that is the second red AWD Russian 3SGTE AWD 7th Gen!
Edit: This is not the same one, correct? This is a crazy Russian AWD 3S 7th Gen also...

Update on my project.... i am waiting on the axles now and then some more money.
I am out of money for now but I am working on changing that.

#65 ·
DSMer: how much $ would you like for the wiring harness diagram you have or any other electrical info you have for ST215 3SGTE. I see you have a complete ECU harness wiring diagram, that page on right side is rare and I have never seen it, but would love to take a peak at it.
PM me so we can discuss the details.

#68 · (Edited)
doubt it
EDIT: I take this back, what the heck do I know. I am sure it can be done. Good thing I am not trying to beat a 2ZZ!

#75 ·
Parts are not that plentiful for the 3S... Not like you would think.
However, once we get past pistons, rods and valvetrain mostly everything else is going to be custom on any big power setup.
Make a SMIM, Make a Turbo Manifold, Standalone, Big turbos, Custom Fuel system etc...

The 2ZZ does have a much better designed head I am sure.

Please do not forget I am not out to best the 2ZZ, you people are making this that.
I have made alot of power and went pretty quick on cast iron block and that is just what I like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.