NewCelica.org Forum banner

Cylinder 1, Cylinder 2 misfire

16K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  oscarscelica 
#1 ·
Hi guys I know that you guys probably talk about it alot but im trying to figure out what to do if I read the code for the "check engine" light for my 2001 celica gts and it said cylinder 1 misfire and cylinder 2 misfire. What are the possibilities of what it could be? Am I better off having Toyota fix it or will I be able to do it myself? Thanks for all your input!

#7 ·
Cant be spark plugs

It cant be the spark plugs because 1) I already put it new ones and 2) the old ones, which are NGK, arent even bad, they arent burnt out or anything. It all started when I put in my cold air intake. when i turned on the car, i let it idle for a min or so and you can hear the intake kind of like suck in air and let it out, like real fast. i thought maybe there might have been air escaping from some other place on the intake so I made sure that all the sensors were sealed correctly and that no air was escaping. I reset it and now Im waiting to see if it comes up again. If it does im going to try switching the coils. Thanks guys!!

#10 ·
Got It....

ahh i just figured it out :) you meant cold air intake. For some reason that didnt sound familiar. Well I am sure that I routed the vacuum hoses right. but ill see if I can take pictures and if you can tell me if they are right that would be great. Thanks!

#12 ·
I found something.....

I was checking my hoses when I took the previous picture and I found that one of the hoses (the one that is noted in the picture) wasnt on correctly. I secured it onto its place, but I kept getting the huffing sound. Is that normal? if anyone could help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

#14 ·
The huffing sound coming from the air filter is quite normal. From the pictures I can't see anything noticeably wrong. If this only started after you installed your intake, my guess is that the intake is throwing off the MAFS readings and causing the misfires, the BB mod to the intake may fix the problem.

#17 ·
Remove the vacuum small hose coming off the plenum on your intake manifold (the one under the throttle body in that picture) and cap it and your problem will be solved.

That will be $20 please :D

#19 ·
oscarscelica said:
I was checking my hoses when I took the previous picture and I found that one of the hoses (the one that is noted in the picture) wasnt on correctly. I secured it onto its place, but I kept getting the huffing sound. Is that normal? if anyone could help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

FYI - that plastic tube just carries air from the fan to the ECU box - it doesn't have anything to do with the engine or intake system

#23 ·
Found problem.....?

I think I may have found the problem. I was reading some threads on here and I came across this one where they said that the 1st generation CAI (AEM) was causing CEL to go on because of the diameter of the piping (I then realized what you meant by the BB mod). Well guess what CAI I have? I have the 21-460R which is the first generation intake. I can almost bet that, that is the problem. I am going to get a new CAI 21-563. Not only to fix the problem (hopefully) but i've been wanting to get a new CAI anyways because the one I have is a used one that came with the car when I bought it a couple of months ago. Well if that doesnt fix the problem I will be back on here trying to find an answer. But in the mean time, thanks guys for all your input and advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.