NewCelica.org Forum banner

spilled vinegar in my trunk!

59K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Sty09 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
A bottle of vinegar fell over and spilled in my trunk, and try as I might get the smell out, it will not go away!!! :bang:

I have tried leaving the doors and hatch open for a couple of hours to air out the car. I have sprayed Lysol odour removal and febreeze and NOTHING! The smell is still there! What is the best way to get rid of this god-awful smell?!?!?!? :bang:

By the way.....febreeze plus vinegar is one of the worst smells in the world!!! :pUke:

#2 ·
Depending on where you spilled it, this option cleanup may be harder but give a box of baking soda a shot. if its on the carpet spread some over the spilled area. Now if its as bad as I think it is where is spilled and leak down into your spare then you'll need to remove it all and baking soda the spilled area there too, along with the "infected" items. "Spare, jack, plywood board, etc)

#3 ·
yeah it spilled all over the driver side of the trunk I'm not sure if it leaked down into the spare tire area or not that might be why I still smell it because I have cleaned the carpet and sprayed it with odor removal for 3 days straight now

THE SMELL IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!! :angry:

#4 ·
i read these 2 things. I would try number 2 first
1) "Make sure the carpet is completely dry. Sprinkle coffee grounds (unused fresh out of the can not the filter from your pot)over carpeting like you would a carpet freshner. Wait an hour or longer then vaccuum it up."
2)Sprinkle baking soda on the surface being cleaned. Scrub with a sponge or plastic brush to work in the baking soda. Rinse with clean water and the vinegar smell should disappear.

Gah you beat me to it while i was researching and making it look pretty xD

#6 ·
Best thing to do then is remove the carpet, plywood, spare etc... sprinkle baking soda over the inner body, maybe give her a scrub with a soft bristle brush, sprinkle more and leave it sit over night. same with the interior parts. carpet will need to be scrubbed with baking soda. This will not stain anything or leave marks. Interior just clean up with a old rag, spray bottle of water and some elbow grease. Same with other parts... GL :)

#11 ·
first off, big fail that sucks man. about the worst thing to spill back there.
a friend of mine spilled an entire 2 gallons of gasoline in his suv and it smelled like gas forever.:puke:

there are these "volcanic rock" odor remover/absorber things u can buy that really take the odor away. my mom left her sunroof open once and it rained and the car smelled like mildew so we used the volcanic rock stuff and it completely went away in a few days.

It comes in like a little tub or a baggie.
I'm pretty sure you can find it at a walmart.

goodluck.

#12 ·
"Zep" is a purple colored highly concentrated cleaner that I use for EVERYTHING. When I buy and fix up crappy cars and the carpet is all nasty I'll take a bottle of it (which I don't know where you would buy it because I get it from my dad's work who gets it in 55 gallon drums ;)), and spray it on the stain (in your case the spot of the smell). Then take a bucket of water and a scrub brush and with water in the brush, brush the spot. Get it really good and then vacuum it with a Shop Vac. That stuff will take ANY kind of stain out, it also eats paint, so be careful. I'm sure it would eliminate the smell as well. Well hope this helps if you haven't gotten it taken care of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.