NewCelica.org Forum banner

2ZZ-GE into Celica GT swap (1ZZ to 2ZZ swap)

150K views 208 replies 90 participants last post by  blackdemon_tt 
#1 · (Edited)
By request I have started this as an FAQ, parts list, depository for peoples experiences etc. etc. etc.

Anyways basic parts list:

Complete 2ZZ with manifolds, injectors, sensors and engine harness
2ZZ flywheel
2ZZ ECU or 2ZZ Power FC
2ZZ knock sensor appropriate to your ECU choice
C60 tranny (if desired - not necessary)
pass. side engine mount
2ZZ CAI or stock air box and tubes
Throttle cable from cruise control to engine
Combination meter or aftermarket tach
GTS Midpipe (or at least the front flange from one)
2ZZ alternator

if you can think of any info you would like in this thread please post the questions here.

If you have done this or have info to add please feel free to do so

Additional information
* When you order your motor remember that 2003+ GTS engine came DBW
* Matrix / Vibe / Voltz / Corolla XRS intake manifolds are different and will require fabrication of a custom intake tube
* Air INjection started in 04 - if you get a full air injection motor and header you will have to cap the feed pipe or cut off and weld the air injection tube closed
* GTS Knock sensor changed in 2002 to a 2 wire sensor - this sensor is not compatible with the earlier ECUs
* The GTS got a lower rev limiter in 2002 and DBW in 2003+ so make sure to get a 2000 or 2001 ECU
* The 1ZZ clutch will bolt up to the 2ZZ flywheel, but the 1ZZ flywheel can NOT be bolted to the 2ZZ crank.

Links and Resources
2ZZ Manifold identification Guide:
http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=205642

See less See more
#188 ·
the 2 above are the lift OCV and lift oil pressure sensor. they are on the right side of the head.

you only need 1 hose to the brake booster. any hose the right size long enough will work.

yes the 2ZZ heater hose that i list in the thread.

everything is listed that you need.

#189 ·
issues

Hello,

I am performing swap with my friend, from 2004 GTS into 2001 GT. We followed this thread and Smaay's thread. Great info so far :)

Currently I am at work so I will just post a quick question, later I will post a full post with pictures and other details.

Now my question; we used 2004 GTS throttle cable, 2004 ECU. Do I need anything else from GTS for throttle pedal to work?

Cheers,
Peter

#193 ·
Anybody interested in helping a young man out with a swap. This would be my first one on my first car. :D Also wanting to know if the swap is done from a 1zz gt automatic to a 2zz is it possible to change the transmission to the 6spd man? Basically I am asking if I can transform my gt into a gts. And about how much would it cost? Just throw out some numbers, and labor hours for it. Really interested in doing this as a project. Its a 2002 Auto.

#194 ·
My 1ZZ to 2ZZ swap

Hello,

I am writing this info, because newcelica.org was mine main source of information for swap. I wish to help others, as this threads (Smaay, Boosted 2.0 and others) helped me.
The reason for swap was dead 1ZZ on my 2001 GT (huge oil consumption at first, missfire on one of the cylinders, clutch and tranny was worn out, ), so options was to get another 1zz or get 2zz. Luckily I had spare 1zz with tranny, anyway later we found out it has spun bearing...

So I started searching for 2ZZ, I found 2004 GTS wreck. Engine was good, no visible damage from crash. C60 tranny had broken casing (not much, but was leaking oil).

So we performed the swap, not to much of a hassle. Mechanical work was easy, we followed threads her on newcelica. First I wish to point out, LHD EURO 2004 GTS is not DBW, it uses throttle cable.
We used the following parts:
- 2004 GTS ECU
- 2004 GTS ABS&TRC/VSC ECU
- C63 6 spd manual tranny from GT (the one I had as spare on 2nd 1ZZ)
- GTS cluster
- full GTS exhaust system
- 1ZZ altenator
- 1ZZ air cointion pump
- GTS brake actuator
- full rear axleas with GTS brake disks & calipers
- new front GTS brake disks & calipers frorm wreck
- GTS HID headlights
- full wire harness from GTS (will explain why)

Now to the problems and issues:
- serpentine belt was pain in the ass, GTS serpentine belt is to long. We had to use GT one; 2 people job to put it on ( is a bit short..)
- Immobilizer (we had to use GTS key, GTS ignition lock) note1: EURO cars have immobilizers,.. engine didn't turn on.. after replacing immobilizer,lock and key car starts
- Car is on, but is bogging, does't rev as it should (CEL is on)... We didn't know what to do... We were checking different options. To get 2000-2001 ECU, replace the harness. We replaced the full harness from front to back (pain in the ass). That was hours of work, but as I will explain later: the correct path & cheap path. We decided to replace harness, because we had it. For 2001 ECU we would have to wait 7-10 days.
- car is running but not as it should... its lazy, doesn't rev over 7000, (CEL is on),...
After diagnostic, TPS was always open on 14%.. = bad TPS; probably because of crash and we noticed one of the OCV valves is leaking oil.
Also TRC&VSC light is on.
We replaced TPS and OCV. Car runs fine no more CEL :)
- TRC& VSC lights are still on until today, we didn't resolve that yet. Diagnostic throw error C1335 (open circuit). We will resolve that when we will have some spare time :)
- Climate control from 2001 GT doesn't work correctly on 2004 GTS wire harness. It only have two options: Full cold or full hot, any other setting have no effect whatsoever.

I was running car for abouth a month with C63 tranny, the gears were very long:
2nd 84 mph
3rd 115mph
4th 140 mph

5th and 6th were weird to drive, not much difference between them.
We tore apart my original c63, to get housing for c60. Replaced the tranny now car runs much, much, better. Can't really test it now, since we have snow, ice and wet roads :S

Costs:
- 2004 GTS wreck 1300$
- new GTS TPS & OCV 240$
- new front brake discs & pads 300$
- engine oil, tranny oil, brake fluid 140$
- HID headlight, HID ECU 700$ (brand new headlight from Toyota)
- labor and minor parts 1000$ (should be at least one time more, but we are friends and both learned some new stuff)

Probably this is not all, I am sure I spent some more money, but can't recall where.
Well this was mine swap, everything running now. Except for TRC&VSC, but we are getting there. Thanks all the posters here who made this so much easier :)

#197 ·
Anyone use GT shifter cables and have problems? Everything was fine for a while then I lost reverse, checked it out and the cable is too long, think it was the rubber boot that was holding it together until the boot broke and i lost reverse. Any fixes to this or do i need a GTS cable. The other one is fine.

#201 ·
Question

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and i had a question about this swap. I currently own a 2002 Celica GT 4 Speed Auto. If I bought a 2000 Celica GT-S With a blown motor and I bought a 2ZZ-GE motor would I have all of the necessary parts to make the swap? If not, what else would I need?

Thanks Guys

#204 · (Edited)
I hate to post in here but I still havent found an answer to my exact situation.

I have a 2000 GT manual, burns all the oil.

I picked up an 03 2zz, ECU, cluster, header, and full engine harness. Missing a couple parts but my main concern is that the motor is DBW and my car is cable. I don't have the cruise box or its cables.

Can I make this swap work or am I better off selling what i have and finding an 00 - 02 motor? Or is the motor fine and I just need an 00 - 02 intake manifold or throttle body? Then just rewire the TPS?

Update: From what I've read I need an 00 - 02 intake manifold and throttle body, engine harness, and ecu. is this correct?

#207 ·
what do you know about swapping in a turboed motor. Also what are some other good motors to swap with. And can you swap a 6speed transmission with the 1zz stock ft motor. Where can I go to learn about these different motors besides google I just want to do my own research on little nitpicks that I have without coming here every two seconds with a question.

#209 ·
Times have changed and most prices have dropped... I'm working on mine and so far, I'm about 2000 with engine, trans ECU, wiring harness, clutch pedal, brake Exedy clutch, Fidanza flywheel, and clutch linkage and gear oil. into mine with all parts and pieces... Just searching to see if I really need the axles, and the axle carrier. Local prices for a GTS in my area are 5k and up..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.