Install Guides Parts Catalog Gallery Track Times Dyno Database Tech Info Gear

Go Back   NewCelica.org Forum > Celica Discussion > Performance Mods
Favorites Trader Ratings Register Blogs Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Performance Mods Sub Forums: ECU Tuning

Support NCO
Google

Old 01-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #151
Smaay

oh that reminds me, yes you can use the GT throttle cable if you delete the cruise. I had a GT-S cable from the cruise to the TB, so i used that.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:16 PM   #152
rg3777
VVTL-OL

Another thing, the gt cluster will work right? It will stop at 8k instead of 9, is that the only difference? What about A/t GT to M/t GTS? What is necessary for that?

SKunk2 |MWR | Circuitworx | EnergySupsension | Hondata | Amsoil | Fidanza | CompetitionClutch | TRD | Custom Test Pipe

Last edited by rg3777; 01-14-2011 at 07:21 PM..
rg3777 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:08 PM   #153
Smaay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg3777 View Post
Another thing, the gt cluster will work right?
yes im still running the GT cluster

Quote:
It will stop at 8k instead of 9, is that the only difference?
the needle goes all the way to 8000 and a little past it

Quote:
What about A/t GT to M/t GTS? What is necessary for that?
read the stickies
Old 01-14-2011, 11:33 PM   #154
many
Maunder Minimum

Great work Smaay!!
I'll add: if your swapping from a GT auto to a GT-S manual ...you would also need the cables......but let me advise you on those 2 little bolts holding the plate just under everything in the middle section of the console......THEY"RE A FREAKING BIIITCH *^@^$&^#$ to get at ....and to remove them..... a word of caution ....be very very relaxed and well rested before attempting! We also had to weld a 10mm key to a flat long screwdriver to get at them.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:29 AM   #155
Omnious
Argentum Chaos Vae Victis

Quote:
Originally Posted by many View Post
but let me advise you on those 2 little bolts holding the plate just under everything in the middle section of the console......THEY"RE A FREAKING BIIITCH *^@^$&^#$ to get at ....and to remove them..... a word of caution ....be very very relaxed and well rested before attempting! We also had to weld a 10mm key to a flat long screwdriver to get at them.
That was indeed a bitch to do...

I bruised an intercostal muscle trying to get those fvcking bolts out. The position was so awkward because you have to lie down with your ribcage against the doorsill, as you stretch out with your fingers to get at the bloody bolts.

And then Many saved the day with his custom-welded tools.

"Sharper than a page of Oscar Wilde's witticisms that has been rolled up into a point, sprinkled with lemon juice and jabbed into someone's eye."
Omnious is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #156
Smaay

i added pictures, solved a mystery, and put in a GT-S cluster. the swap is complete.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #157
supahfly

Are there any other new toyota OEM parts needed for the swap? I went to toyota the other day to pick up the exhaust seal the goes from the header to the down pipe, it was $80, I would have used the old one but it was damaged while taking the exhaust off.
supahfly is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:49 PM   #158
rg3777
VVTL-OL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaay View Post
read the stickies
Can someone show me a sticky for the c60 swap? I can't find it.

SKunk2 |MWR | Circuitworx | EnergySupsension | Hondata | Amsoil | Fidanza | CompetitionClutch | TRD | Custom Test Pipe
Old 03-03-2011, 05:39 AM   #159
GLERINK

Send a message via AIM to GLERINK Send a message via MSN to GLERINK
Great info I might be doing this or boosting my GT thinking

AEM - APR Performance - BFGoodrich - Enkei - DC SportHeader - Fidanza - Veilside - BC Racing - Hotchkis - Brembo - TRD - C-one - RMM - Vis Racing Sport
GLERINK is online now   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:28 AM   #160
CRBCelica

For the motor mount is it the one on the block, the bridge or the chassis part?

02 Celica GT- Garage Queen 2zz 6spd swapped
03 Celica GTS 6spd Fiance's
96 Celica GT- Daily Driver
14 Camry SE- Daily Driver

GT-2ZZ HKS C-ONE TRIAL TRD CarbignCraft BrashBoy RMM Skunk2 Projectkics BC Racing XXR

CRBCelica is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #161
GLERINK

I got a couple questions on this Im planning to go 2zz 5 speed because I think the less shifting the better but the question is.
1. Am im going to be able to still rev at the high 8400 and if so would that put some type of dangerous stress on the c56
2. Not sure if I asked this before but I got an ledmod gauge which we all know is crazy expensive if I keep my original gauge cluster will it work properly since im keeping the c56 or will it be off

AEM - APR Performance - BFGoodrich - Enkei - DC SportHeader - Fidanza - Veilside - BC Racing - Hotchkis - Brembo - TRD - C-one - RMM - Vis Racing Sport
Old 04-25-2011, 03:36 PM   #162
michaud80
2ZZ turbo

Quote:
Can someone show me a sticky for the c60 swap? I can't find it.
c60 and c56 is bolt on ... only pull out your 5 speed and replace the 6 speed and that it ....

sensor, shifter cable, motor mount, axle, starter always is the same on 6 or 5 speed
STANDARD SUSPENSION / WING WEST / XXR / VIBRANT / WEAPON R / AEM / TRD / B & G / MWR / FIDANZA / ACT / SPARCO / HOTCHKIS / TANABE / ENERGIE SUSPENSION / ARP / MISHIMOTO / GOODRIDGE / POWERSLOT BRAKE / HAWKS / CUSCO / APEXI / BFGOODRICH / SPEEDSOURCE
michaud80 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #163
rg3777
VVTL-OL

for auto to manual...

Old 07-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #164
xtonx

im plannin' on to the swap sumtime in the nxt 3 months after my money is settled. and was wonderin' if there are any additional stuff i will need that is not on the list alrdy. and seems those items list i can get from ppl sellin' on here right?

also if i buy a used engine from MWR is the lift bolts alrdy replaced wit the better bolts? or do i have to order them and do it myself?
xtonx is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:28 PM   #165
rg3777
VVTL-OL

I've searched the forums and all I've found is parts lists but no how to's. I'm pretty sure I have all the parts and a lift to do this on. We need a sticky for auto to manual conversion....or can someone pm me who has done AT GT to 6Spd GTS please....

Old 10-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #166
m-eight

Depending on what you want to build like a high compression for all motor power or lowe compression for turbo... Im doing 8.1.1. build right now on 1zzfe engine i was too thinking of a swap but 1zzfe is more capble in low compression then 2zzfe engines and thats a fact. So if you want to go turbo and not that cheap 1000$ crap then keep 1zzfe i am doing low compressing right now at 8.1.1 pistons all racing guts for engines valve springs ect. and raising from 7k to 9.5k rpm when i finish my build i will have around 400hp with a 4000$ turbo. So something to think abour if you want all power from motor or turbo if turbo keep 1zzfe if not go on with a swap but will be costly as low compression build.
m-eight is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #167
Boosted2.0

Umm No. The 1ZZ is not "better" at low compression. It is worse at EVERYTHING. But is is good enough. If your block and crank and valves are still good just do rods and pistons and the 1ZZ is fine as long as you only want 250 - 300 HP
We specialize in high end / high HP engines, intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds, suspension, custom wiring, custom turbos, tuning, etc. We can get any part you want, usually for less than you would expect!

WWW.DDPerformanceResearch.com
Boosted2.0 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #168
Smaay

^^^ your post is absolutely worthless! it has no business in this thread! if you are going to list a compression ratio then its done like this 8.1:1 and i don't know where you are getting 8.1 pistons. and as for a 1ZZ being a better engine to boost, you are full of crap and have no idea what you are talking about! Take your 9 posts and have a warm glass of STFU! Read the name tag, you are in MY world now!
Old 10-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #169
m-eight

1zzfe is a ****ty engine i agree boosted but not bad at all if its rebuilt right. all stock is coming out and being replaced with racing performance parts i have spend over 2900$ in parts only once done will have 8 to 1 compression so going to loose some power but will triple it one i get turbo put on.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #170
Smaay

Ill believe it when i see it, now quit posting in this thread! your project has nothing to do with the swap!
Old 10-19-2011, 02:59 PM   #171
Boosted2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-eight View Post
1zzfe is a ****ty engine i agree boosted but not bad at all if its rebuilt right. all stock is coming out and being replaced with racing performance parts i have spend over 2900$ in parts only once done will have 8 to 1 compression so going to loose some power but will triple it one i get turbo put on.

Like I said - its good enough. But it is certainly not "better" than the 2ZZ at low compression - thats absurd.
We specialize in high end / high HP engines, intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds, suspension, custom wiring, custom turbos, tuning, etc. We can get any part you want, usually for less than you would expect!

Old 10-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #172
m-eight

i know lots of people go for 1zzfe crank then 2zz when they do low compression i will post up parts list i have ordered so you guys will know what my idia for the build is.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #173
bt216

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-eight View Post
1zzfe is more capble in low compression then 2zzfe engines and thats a fact.
bt216 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #174
Smaay

thats it! one more time and im banning you! quit cluttering up this thread with your
Old 12-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #175
Dammed

How easy is it to swap the ECU and kock sensor if the engine is out of the car?

I'm asking because I found a good deal on a 02 Celica GTS.

Last edited by Dammed; 12-10-2011 at 05:01 PM..
Dammed is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #176
crucialceli03

Send a message via AIM to crucialceli03
how difficult would it be to do the 03 dbw swap? what do you need to swap out in the gt? the wiring mainly.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #177
TFABe93
License to Speed

Well I have a friend who has a GT and one time they drove through a really deep puddle. Water got all over the block and blew a hole the size of a fist into the block. He pulled a few strings with the insurance company, and they delivered him a 2ZZ-GE engine! He didn't even have to pay much at all, I think maybe 100 bucks or something as a deductible. So now he has a sleeper GT with a GT-S motor in it. The thing is, the engine bay looks worse, even though it's clean, because it seems cluttered. You're best bet would probably be to sell the GT and use the money you would spend on the 2ZZ and other accessories and the GT sale money to buy a decent GT-S. That's just my opinion.

Remember, dying is bad for your health.
TFABe93 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #178
Smaay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammed View Post
How easy is it to swap the ECU and kock sensor if the engine is out of the car?
really super easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucialceli03 View Post
how difficult would it be to do the 03 dbw swap? what do you need to swap out in the gt? the wiring mainly.
you do NOT want to try to make your car a DBW. just find an 2000-2002 engine and use that for a swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFABe93 View Post
Well I have a friend who has a GT and one time they drove through a really deep puddle. Water got all over the block and blew a hole the size of a fist into the block. He pulled a few strings with the insurance company, and they delivered him a 2ZZ-GE engine! He didn't even have to pay much at all, I think maybe 100 bucks or something as a deductible. So now he has a sleeper GT with a GT-S motor in it. The thing is, the engine bay looks worse, even though it's clean, because it seems cluttered. You're best bet would probably be to sell the GT and use the money you would spend on the 2ZZ and other accessories and the GT sale money to buy a decent GT-S. That's just my opinion.
whoever did the swap cause it to look cluttered. if its done right, then it will look factory.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #179
GLERINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted2.0 View Post
By request I have started this as an FAQ, parts list, depository for peoples experiences etc. etc. etc.

* The 1ZZ clutch will bolt up to the 2ZZ flywheel, but the 1ZZ flywheel can NOT be bolted to the 2ZZ crank.
The whole 1zz clutch kit/pressure plate will bolt on to a 2zz flywheel, or are you talking about just the clutch disc?

Old 09-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #180
Boosted2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLERINK View Post
The whole 1zz clutch kit/pressure plate will bolt on to a 2zz flywheel, or are you talking about just the clutch disc?
The whole 1ZZ clutch kit bolts right up. But I would reccomend a clutch designed for the 2ZZ due to the differences in revs and torque.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:21 AM   #181
GLERINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted2.0 View Post
The whole 1ZZ clutch kit bolts right up. But I would reccomend a clutch designed for the 2ZZ due to the differences in revs and torque.
So this brings me to my next question, will a 2zz clutch kit fit the 1zz flywheel I'm guessing yes then

Old 09-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #182
Twarn

Help

Ok here it goes I bought a flipped gts and a good gt body what would be the easiest way to do the swap. The good body does not have motor or tranny
Thanks
Trav
Twarn is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #183
Jhawls

Engine harness

When removing the engine harness or putting it on your 1zz is it nessesary to remove the whole dash? How is everyone putting them on thier cars? Are you guys removing the whole dash and all or does it connect somewhere where u can reach?
Jhawls is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #184
triz

Your harness plugs into your ecu. IIRC in the Celica it sits in the engine bay. No I dont own a Celica just a 2zz swapped Spyder.
triz is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #185
T3HKMAN
Work Done, Sexy Time.

Send a message via AIM to T3HKMAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLERINK View Post
So this brings me to my next question, will a 2zz clutch kit fit the 1zz flywheel I'm guessing yes then
Yes but like Boosted said you want to get a clutch rated for the HP and torque you will be putting out. Also if you are still planning on the 2zz swap then you'll have a 2zz flywheel so it would be a moot point. Oh and your idea of a 5spd with a N/A 2zz is a bad one, trust me. You want a 6spd.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:48 AM   #186
Smaay

OMG i covered this before in my sticky. the 1ZZ and 2ZZ clutch are identical. the 2ZZ clutch is not rated any different for higher revs. every 2ZZ swap i have done i used the same clutch with no issues at all.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #187
w0lf

Smaay, correct me if i wrong

the list of additional parts i have to buy if i'm doing the swap

1) 90980-11162 x 1
2) 90980-11363 x 1
3) 82998-12440 x 3
4) 82998-12740 x 3
5) the hose to the brake booster x 2
6) the heater hose that goes into the side of the head
7) 2ZZ down-pipe that connects to the header

Is there something else i have not listed?

Also, i'm gonna to buy all this parts form some guy that is parting out his GT-S.
He asks the pictures of the parts i need, because he doesn't know which these part numbers are.

I'm assuming, that this is the one that is listed above:

Please, can you help me with the pictures of all these necessary parts
w0lf is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #188
Smaay

the 2 above are the lift OCV and lift oil pressure sensor. they are on the right side of the head.

you only need 1 hose to the brake booster. any hose the right size long enough will work.

yes the 2ZZ heater hose that i list in the thread.

everything is listed that you need.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #189
PeroGTS

issues

Hello,

I am performing swap with my friend, from 2004 GTS into 2001 GT. We followed this thread and Smaay's thread. Great info so far

Currently I am at work so I will just post a quick question, later I will post a full post with pictures and other details.

Now my question; we used 2004 GTS throttle cable, 2004 ECU. Do I need anything else from GTS for throttle pedal to work?

Cheers,
Peter
PeroGTS is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:33 AM   #190
CelicaGT-

What 2ZZ year is ideal?
CelicaGT- is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:34 AM   #191
CelicaGT-

What 2ZZ year is ideal?
CelicaGT- is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #192
PeroGTS

From my experience I would say 2000-2002. We are still performing swap with 2004 2zzge.
Will post all the info when completed.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #193
dragnboyfoo

Anybody interested in helping a young man out with a swap. This would be my first one on my first car. Also wanting to know if the swap is done from a 1zz gt automatic to a 2zz is it possible to change the transmission to the 6spd man? Basically I am asking if I can transform my gt into a gts. And about how much would it cost? Just throw out some numbers, and labor hours for it. Really interested in doing this as a project. Its a 2002 Auto.
dragnboyfoo is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:18 AM   #194
PeroGTS

My 1ZZ to 2ZZ swap

Hello,

I am writing this info, because newcelica.org was mine main source of information for swap. I wish to help others, as this threads (Smaay, Boosted 2.0 and others) helped me.
The reason for swap was dead 1ZZ on my 2001 GT (huge oil consumption at first, missfire on one of the cylinders, clutch and tranny was worn out, ), so options was to get another 1zz or get 2zz. Luckily I had spare 1zz with tranny, anyway later we found out it has spun bearing...

So I started searching for 2ZZ, I found 2004 GTS wreck. Engine was good, no visible damage from crash. C60 tranny had broken casing (not much, but was leaking oil).

So we performed the swap, not to much of a hassle. Mechanical work was easy, we followed threads her on newcelica. First I wish to point out, LHD EURO 2004 GTS is not DBW, it uses throttle cable.
We used the following parts:
- 2004 GTS ECU
- 2004 GTS ABS&TRC/VSC ECU
- C63 6 spd manual tranny from GT (the one I had as spare on 2nd 1ZZ)
- GTS cluster
- full GTS exhaust system
- 1ZZ altenator
- 1ZZ air cointion pump
- GTS brake actuator
- full rear axleas with GTS brake disks & calipers
- new front GTS brake disks & calipers frorm wreck
- GTS HID headlights
- full wire harness from GTS (will explain why)

Now to the problems and issues:
- serpentine belt was pain in the ass, GTS serpentine belt is to long. We had to use GT one; 2 people job to put it on ( is a bit short..)
- Immobilizer (we had to use GTS key, GTS ignition lock) note1: EURO cars have immobilizers,.. engine didn't turn on.. after replacing immobilizer,lock and key car starts
- Car is on, but is bogging, does't rev as it should (CEL is on)... We didn't know what to do... We were checking different options. To get 2000-2001 ECU, replace the harness. We replaced the full harness from front to back (pain in the ass). That was hours of work, but as I will explain later: the correct path & cheap path. We decided to replace harness, because we had it. For 2001 ECU we would have to wait 7-10 days.
- car is running but not as it should... its lazy, doesn't rev over 7000, (CEL is on),...
After diagnostic, TPS was always open on 14%.. = bad TPS; probably because of crash and we noticed one of the OCV valves is leaking oil.
Also TRC&VSC light is on.
We replaced TPS and OCV. Car runs fine no more CEL
- TRC& VSC lights are still on until today, we didn't resolve that yet. Diagnostic throw error C1335 (open circuit). We will resolve that when we will have some spare time
- Climate control from 2001 GT doesn't work correctly on 2004 GTS wire harness. It only have two options: Full cold or full hot, any other setting have no effect whatsoever.

I was running car for abouth a month with C63 tranny, the gears were very long:
2nd 84 mph
3rd 115mph
4th 140 mph

5th and 6th were weird to drive, not much difference between them.
We tore apart my original c63, to get housing for c60. Replaced the tranny now car runs much, much, better. Can't really test it now, since we have snow, ice and wet roads :S

Costs:
- 2004 GTS wreck 1300$
- new GTS TPS & OCV 240$
- new front brake discs & pads 300$
- engine oil, tranny oil, brake fluid 140$
- HID headlight, HID ECU 700$ (brand new headlight from Toyota)
- labor and minor parts 1000$ (should be at least one time more, but we are friends and both learned some new stuff)

Probably this is not all, I am sure I spent some more money, but can't recall where.
Well this was mine swap, everything running now. Except for TRC&VSC, but we are getting there. Thanks all the posters here who made this so much easier
Old 01-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #195
Boosted2.0

Moving this to the engine swaps thread

Old 04-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #196
Carldinho

2zz swap into 95 celica

How hard of a swap would this be? I have a base 1995 celica st. I know 3sgte is most obvious choice but cannot find one under 150k miles. Any info is appreciated
Carldinho is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #197
supahfly

Anyone use GT shifter cables and have problems? Everything was fine for a while then I lost reverse, checked it out and the cable is too long, think it was the rubber boot that was holding it together until the boot broke and i lost reverse. Any fixes to this or do i need a GTS cable. The other one is fine.
supahfly is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote