Go Back   NewCelica.org Forum > Celica Discussion > Performance Mods

Performance Mods Sub Forums: ECU Tuning

Support NCO
Google

Old 03-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Illusive

Send a message via AIM to Illusive
March 2-6th 2KGTS Install + Dyno Tuning results

Had 2KGTS stop by to drop his car off on Friday March 2nd for our DDIM install with a Cobb SRI and a full dyno tuning session.

We did some additional work cleaning up his engine bay and re-painting some parts that needed some much needed TLC. The car has 200K miles on it and the engine bay had showed:

We took off his Valve cover and wire wheeled it and some light sanding. Resprayed with High temp engine paint black. We also cleaned and repainted his Fuel rail, Valve cover breather tube, and the OCV.

We extended his Injector wires and routed them up from below the manifold, as well as ran all hoses and lines under the manifold to clean up the look. We also kept the coolant circulating through the throttle body as 2KGTS has some below freezing winters in Illinois.

We also did a light detail on his engine bay plastics, hoses and anything that we could get to in reason.

This is the end result:

We spent around 27 hours tuning his car. Unfortunately, we thought we had a good map to start with and it turned out not working at all for 2KGTS's car, so we had to start from scratch. We went through and reworked all the VVT load cells for the low cam and High speed cam, reworked the entire fuel and ignition maps, and smoothed them out for consistency.

Also to note 2KGTS's car did not like a lower lift engagement, the low cam torque curve crossed the high cam torque curve at 6100 rpm after all the vvt adjustments were finalized. It's working in his favor as the low speed cam's torque curve is a giant torque plateau.

The car came in and was cooled down for an hour and strapped on the dyno and made 165 wheel horsepower.

Our final run we massaged out 187 wheel horsepower.

I'll let the graph speak for the amount of tuning that was completed. The area under the curve is phenomenal.

Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Smaay

wow where was that car stored? is it a TX car its entire life? thats some east coast corrosion there. What are those green injectors too?

good job on the results!

Last edited by Smaay; 03-06-2012 at 02:40 PM..
Smaay is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
pandemonium
Registered Beer User

Can't. Flippin. Wait. I'm still working out a date between work and school to get my arse down there.
pandemonium is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
Illusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaay View Post
wow where was that car stored? is it a TX car its entire life? thats some east coast corrosion there. What are those green injectors too?

good job on the results!
2KGTS lives in IL.

He had lotus 440cc inj to go with the DDIM. Part of the reason we spent so much extra time getting his a/f map outside of max power pulls to be good with the time we had.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
trd_gts

Wow thats good numbers for just those mods! Keep it up

2000 GTS - K&N | MagnaFlow | Enkei | Greddy | TRD | Tein | LedMod
trd_gts is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
mrfunny107

yeah like his fenders and hood where rustyly spotted and his hatch handle had missing paint. I know.

Great #'s

Too much.....
mrfunny107 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
Illusive

Being a previous celica owner, what impressed me the most was making 128wtq at 2,000 rpm, and holding 120+ wtq to 5,000 rpm. It totally transforms the car as a daily driver.

For example here is a old old old 2004 dyno of my celica (before it was totaled in 2005), blue trace is before I did some clean up tuning, and the green trace is after about 2 hours of dyno tuning. Look at the torque at 2k rpm's to 5K rpms, and compare it to 2KGTS's plot.

Makes me wish our Intake manifold was around back then in 2004. Heck I'd have loved to even have had aftermarket cam choices, but that stuff was non existent in 2003-2004.

Last edited by Illusive; 03-06-2012 at 06:45 PM..
Illusive is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
jasonc624
:B

What other mods are on the engine? What ems?
jasonc624 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
Illusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc624 View Post
What other mods are on the engine? What ems?
2KGTS mods for his 1st pull (165 whp) Ebay SRI, DDPR ported header, High-flow cat, magnaflow exhaust, stock ecu

mods for his 187 whp pull, DDPR intake manifold with Q45 TB, cobb SRI, Lotus 440cc inj, DDPR ported header, high flow cat, magnaflow exhaust, Apexi Power FC, and our custom dyno & road tuning of course.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #10
Boosted2.0

Yeah, this was a great project. Very happy with the clean up work on the engine bay, and also with the tune. The torque curve on this car is fantastic, and it totally transformed the car.

We only claim 18 WHP gain with manifold and tuned PFC, so to pick up 22 or 23 HP and that much torque is awesome.

It helped a lot that we have our own dyno now. We did a full map from scratch for this car and taking that extra time allowed us to find all that power down low.
We specialize in Motor builds, tuning, custom fabrication, high end / high HP engines, intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds, suspension, custom wiring, custom turbos, tuning, etc. We can get any part you want, usually for less than you would expect!

WWW.DDPerformanceResearch.com
Boosted2.0 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #11
trdmsprts27

does he still have coolant lines going to the iacv or just through the TB? only asking cuz i have the same TB but i dont have coolant running through it and i gets purdy cold up here but really havent had a issue lol

also nice to see (judging by 2kgts's dyno) what numbers i would be putting down after i get my header and midpipe

i also might take time off this summer and have you guys tune my car and fix a few bugs i may have
trdmsprts27 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #12
jdmravi

Wow that is some great results.. Maybe in the future my car might take a trip to Texas for a tune from you guys..

2000 GTS-Auto - Sold - 8/22/11
Mods- Butterfly removal, Full custom mandrel bend cat-back with HKS Hi-Power muffler, TRD Springs, 190lph Walbro fuel pump

2003 GTS-6sp-
Mods- AEM CAI, BC Coils extreme drop 8k/F 10k/R, Sebion OEM CF hood, PPE header, Custom exhaust with TRD tip
jdmravi is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #13
Boosted2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdmsprts27 View Post
does he still have coolant lines going to the iacv or just through the TB? only asking cuz i have the same TB but i dont have coolant running through it and i gets purdy cold up here but really havent had a issue lol

also nice to see (judging by 2kgts's dyno) what numbers i would be putting down after i get my header and midpipe

i also might take time off this summer and have you guys tune my car and fix a few bugs i may have
Just to the TB, but we could easily have hooked up the IAC with some Ts or in series as well. The can TB tends to freeze because of the massive quantities of sub-freezing air that pass by it at some sub freezing temps. (Not an issue in the south obviously) The IAC has relatively little flow by comparison and is also on a huge aluminum block welded to the plenum and hence is both substantially less likely to freeze and substantially more likely to add un-needed heat soak to the manifold as a result.
We specialize in Motor builds, tuning, custom fabrication, high end / high HP engines, intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds, suspension, custom wiring, custom turbos, tuning, etc. We can get any part you want, usually for less than you would expect!

Old 03-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #14
2KGTS

I gave Boosted and Illusive the go-ahead to post these results because it took me two days to drive home - grinning all the way. Unfortunately, I was at interstate speeds the whole time, really. So I've not wrung out the car as much as I could have were I just screwing around. But it's evident at all times what's waiting to be done with the go pedal at any moment.

Goosing the gas a bit to get by a car or semi or to make a lane change is much easier. The amazing thing is how the response and power improvement is everywhere. It's really deceiving. The increase is there and, while not immense, it's clearly evident - but it's there throughout the range. DDPR tuned the cruising range rather lean while both responsive to changes and able to adjust to load and revs easily.

Some of you may know this is my second (silver) Celica GT-S. I purchased the first one in my region in 1999 and put 112K miles on it. God that car was in beautiful shape when I traded it in on my Evo. Then, about 3 years later, looking for a "commuter", I found this one with 125K miles, covered in crap plastic body kit, clearly driven hard her whole life. I cleaned it up with some maintenance, helped the suspension out with new parts, got the DDPR ported exhaust manifold, and commuted for three years. Since then I've put few miles on her while going back to school. But I purchased the DDPR IM two years ago along with all the other add-ons and have never been able to find anyone I could trust to get it all set up and running (including myself). So the new DDPR dyno and an unfortunate turn of family events made letting Boosted and Illusive do their magic a no-brainer.

I've now put, easily, over 200K miles on 2000 model year GT-S Celicas. Once I hit 31mpg. My most common gas mileage was just under 30mpg. Driving from the DDPR shop through Houston traffic and NE Texas hill country to Hope, Arkansas yielded 29.5mpg. Pretty amazing.

Unfortunately, I'm heading out of town for a week starting Friday so I'm not sure how much more I can report back here before I return. But the car's truly transformed. And there was no reason to remove even the valve cover (other than paint) for this. It's all bolt-ons. And this is all WITH a catalytic converter! I can't stand the smell otherwise. LOL

The professionalism and perseverence of Boosted and Illusive was amazing and it shows. I can't thank you guys enough.

Watch this space for more imagery, impressions and results!

For Sale Soon: 2000 Liquid Silver GT-S: 187fwhp@218,000 miles
DDPR | Cobb | Apexi | Magnaflow / BC Racing | Hotchkiss | TRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
It's like sex with your cute but chubby cousin that one time when you had both had too much wine at Christmas dinner. You know it's wrong, you're not stopping, and you really regret it the next morning. That is poutine, Canada does this 24x7x365. Canada are a bunch of sick bi-lingual metric cousin f*ckers.
2KGTS is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #15
Illusive

Thanks

Have a great trip. Glad we could get ya back in time for it
Old 03-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #16
kortik

Great Service top class!!!
Progress RSB, TRD STB, Custom Borla 3", Tein SS, TWM SS, GT2860RS -700cc TK.com kit, JDM helical LSD from spyder, RPS Max/Street, C-One Type R Flywheel, Urethane Filled Motor Mounts, 18" Volks GT-S, HYDRA EMS
kortik is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:28 AM   #17
Celicasaur
Bring on the 12's...

Very very nice results! How long are you going to make us wait till you make the obligatory youtube 20-100 pull?
Goals for 2014:
12's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2way View Post
While your speaking to your clergy about marriage ceremony, see if he does exorcisms.
Celicasaur is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:16 AM   #18
GSBoek
Daddy Daycare

Congrats on the nice numbers. My turn will come.

202 CREW ........................... No. 30002
GSBoek is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #19
blacktsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celicasaur View Post
Very very nice results! How long are you going to make us wait till you make the obligatory youtube 20-100 pull?
Hahaha THIS!

Great results and that torque looks impressive enough without the extra slab of top end power. Great work.

Sad times were had.
blacktsport is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #20
Illusive

Quote:
2KGTS showed up on tuesday at the perfect time to record his final 187 whp 4th gear pull. Hopefully when he gets back next week he can post it up for you all.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #21
2KGTS

Best run, stock ECU:

http://youtu.be/KKazHSSBceQ

Final run, DD Performance Research install & tune:

http://youtu.be/Bwzi7LSbmxA

I clearly don't know how to post a Youtube vid, sorry...

Quote:
It's like sex with your cute but chubby cousin that one time when you had both had too much wine at Christmas dinner. You know it's wrong, you're not stopping, and you really regret it the next morning. That is poutine, Canada does this 24x7x365. Canada are a bunch of sick bi-lingual metric cousin f*ckers.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #22
many
Maunder Minimum

Excellent result! I posted also on LotusSport!
Old 03-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #23
SCT09

DAMN!

I wish I lived in texas or somewhere close so DDperformance could tune me
Old 03-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #24
Magusownz

Good numbers and quality work done! Looks and sounds good man.

Looks stock to me. Baby on board crew member #2!
Magusownz is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #25
2KGTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by many View Post
excellent result! I posted also on lotussport!
link!

Quote:
Old 03-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #26
2KGTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magusownz View Post
Good numbers and quality work done! Looks and sounds good man.
Hey, thanks for all your help with the PFC before I got this install done!

Quote:
Old 03-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #27
Motor
It was justified.™

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KGTS View Post
link!
It might be this: http://www.lotussport.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4747
Motor is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #28
brownbomber1988

Quote:
Best run, stock ECU:

http://youtu.be/KKazHSSBceQ

Final run, DD Performance Research install & tune:

http://youtu.be/Bwzi7LSbmxA

I clearly don't know how to post a Youtube vid, sorry...
like the commentary at the end haha

out of curiosity has anyone dyno'd a ddim with turbo?

2000 040 GT-S
brownbomber1988 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:37 AM   #29
Celicasaur
Bring on the 12's...

I've just remembered...2kgts....didn't I sell you some injectors like...two years ago?!

and yep, loving the commentary, "yep that's one eighty seven"...thinking of making that my sig.
Goals for 2014:
12's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2way View Post
While your speaking to your clergy about marriage ceremony, see if he does exorcisms.
Celicasaur is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:03 AM   #30
2KGTS

Quote:
I've just remembered...2kgts....didn't I sell you some injectors like...two years ago?!

and yep, loving the commentary, "yep that's one eighty seven"...thinking of making that my sig.
Yep. Those are the injectors you sold me two damned years ago. Along with new, Toyota, OEM o-rings. And my sig's busy enough. But definitely about to change. *Laugh* We'll see what it looks like when I get back in a week or so...

Quote:
Old 03-09-2012, 06:04 AM   #31
2KGTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber1988 View Post

I think the FI community needed a shorter-runner intake. Not to say someone couldn't do (have done) it...

Quote:
Old 03-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #32
Boosted2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber1988 View Post

Not that I am aware of. Hopefully we can rectify that soon

Old 03-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #33
Boosted2.0

Quote:
I think the FI community needed a shorter-runner intake. Not to say someone couldn't do (have done) it...
We actually have a prototype Celica shortrunner just about finished. Its REALLY tight to the hood though. You have to either run a Varis hood or cut some of the underbracing on the stock one.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #34
Celicatechgts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted2.0 View Post
We actually have a prototype Celica shortrunner just about finished. Its REALLY tight to the hood though. You have to either run a Varis hood or cut some of the underbracing on the stock one.
What's the expected eta on the shortrunner?
Celicatechgts is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #35
Boosted2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celicatechgts View Post
What's the expected eta on the shortrunner?
The manifold itself we could build at any time. The throttle body will need to be one of the new CNC ones (the Q45 doesn't fit) and we need toi do a custom welded elbow on it.

So it could be done in a week, but we have a lot of stuff on our plate and no immediate need to finish it, so who knows.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #36
sdsu_celica01
Murse Practitioner.

Send a message via AIM to sdsu_celica01
Quote:
Not that I am aware of. Hopefully we can rectify that soon
I would love to use the 2zz adapter and bolt this manifold to my turbo 1zz, just can't afford to spend the $2000 it would be in parts and retuning my pfc.

{the8M6syndicate} - 003
sdsu_celica01 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #37
Celicatechgts

Quote:
The manifold itself we could build at any time. The throttle body will need to be one of the new CNC ones (the Q45 doesn't fit) and we need toi do a custom welded elbow on it.

So it could be done in a week, but we have a lot of stuff on our plate and no immediate need to finish it, so who knows.
Gotcha I understand. I remember seeing it on one of your videos on a lotus.
Celicatechgts is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #38
2KGTS

And the underhood appearance improves:

Still need to mod the stock IM cover and get it installed. That and fab up some kind of intake shield for the Cobb 70mm intake...

Quote:
Old 03-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #39
narly charley
Poopin' on Scrubz

Quote:
Looks good man... When you put the factory plastics back in, which you should, paint them and clear them. Sexy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfunny107 View Post
I am a small Asian person

narly charley is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #40
2KGTS

Thanks! I have some factory plastics. The large, left piece doesn't really work in that it covers up quite a bit of the left front of the IM and the DD PR logo. So, I think that's gonna need some hacking up as well.

Further, I purchased them from a member here and the large piece is painted red but has a lot of scrapes, etc. The small piece for in front of the intake is still black. What color do we think is going to really work?

And quit trying to sell your goddamn car.

Quote:
Old 03-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #41
Illusive

Quote:

Still need to mod the stock IM cover and get it installed. That and fab up some kind of intake shield for the Cobb 70mm intake...
That is a sexy engine bay! Lightyears better. Glad we got ya started on it
Old 03-21-2012, 04:43 AM   #42
narly charley
Poopin' on Scrubz

Quote:
Thanks! I have some factory plastics. The large, left piece doesn't really work in that it covers up quite a bit of the left front of the IM and the DD PR logo. So, I think that's gonna need some hacking up as well.

Further, I purchased them from a member here and the large piece is painted red but has a lot of scrapes, etc. The small piece for in front of the intake is still black. What color do we think is going to really work?

And quit trying to sell your goddamn car.
I probably won't sell my car...

And I would just paint the plastics black. Hit them with a primer before and then it should turn out very well.

Quote:

Old 03-21-2012, 05:48 AM   #43
2KGTS

Once I get the modded IM cover on I'll take another look at the plastics. DON'T sell, DRIVE!

Quote:
Old 03-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #44
trdmsprts27

Quote:
The large, left piece doesn't really work in that it covers up quite a bit of the left front of the IM and the DD PR logo. So, I think that's gonna need some hacking up as well.
yea you will need to hack it for it to fit
Old 03-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #45
Boosted2.0

Quote:

Man - that cover does look nice. We need to make some of those in Billet with out logo on them.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #46
Boosted2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdmsprts27 View Post
yea you will need to hack it for it to fit
Sweet - this just turned into an engine porn thread!

Old 03-21-2012, 07:37 AM   #47
trdmsprts27

Quote:
Sweet - this just turned into an engine porn thread!
heres another lol
Old 03-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #48
StrikerFury

Send a message via AIM to StrikerFury Send a message via MSN to StrikerFury
Stop showing off my engine bay MIKE
Old 03-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #49
2KGTS

VERY nice look! And that's about how I figured I'd have to cut it. Thanks!

Quote:
Old 03-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #50
narly charley
Poopin' on Scrubz

Quote:
VERY nice look! And that's about how I figured I'd have to cut it. Thanks!
Sawzall...

Quote: