NewCelica.org Forum banner

ILL/Lightning wire on Pioneer deck?

8K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  J3adSeed 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have one minor detail left from my stereo installation last week.

I noticed in the Pioneer deck install docs, it says the orange/white wire is the "lightning terminal" wire, but on the wire, it has a ILL tag. Is this suppose to be connected to the green/white wire from the factory toyota wire harness (ILL wire for factory deck)?

Thanks!

#5 ·
Yep! The Pioneer Premier DEH-640 manual says the orange/white wire is to be connected to the "Lightning Terminal"! Then looking at the harness itself, it says ILL, which I assume means Illumination. Did they just mistype the wording in the install documentation? What does the ILL lead do?

Thanks!

#6 ·
it connects to your car's dimmer switch. so when you dim your gauges and center console it'll dim the head unit lights. you don't have to hook it up. mine's hooked up and doesn't even work (don't know off hand what color it was for sure). but then again someone broke my damn lighting in the center console so that may be why, although the gauges and dimmer for them and the clock still work, so i would think my radio dimmer lead would still work too.

#7 ·
J3adSpeed,

Thanks. Ya, I was thinking it was for the dimmer, as the wire off the Pioneer harness said ILL on it. I hooked it up to the ILL on the factory wire harness on the GTS, but like yours, mine does not dim either. Oh well, if you find any more info on this, let me know. Thanks again!

#8 ·
well i did notice that mine had an option to enable/disable the dimmer on the head unit. when i turned it on, the lighting got a tad bit dimmer, as if the ill wire was not quite the full 12v or whatever it was supposed to be. but when i dimmed the interior lights it didn't make the head unit dim at all so i just diabled it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.