NewCelica.org Forum banner

What sort of OBD protocol do JDM cars use?

42K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Cap 
#1 ·
Hi guys - I hope somone knows the answer to this - there's a guy in the UK with a JDM Gen 7 that has a CEL. I have tried scanning it with my OBD reader that works on my UK car, but it won't read his. Furthermore, Toyota UK had a go at scanning his car, failed completely and still charged him for scanning it!

So, what diagnostic protocol do JDM cars use?

Cheers.

#3 ·
I don't think we are on can-bus, if we were we would see much faster updates than 3/second :( I'll check next time I have stuff connected up, but pretty sure we are on an ISO standard too.

Gravel, have you tried a software reader rather than hardware thing? they seem so support a wider range of protocols cause its easy to add stuff to software rather than some ROM storage that is manufactured in.

Avendit

#5 ·
Not positive... but, I think the '03+ are possibly CAN. I don't know about the euro versions, though. They may have been CAN. I know my USDM '02 is ISO.

Either ISO 9141 or CAN for late model Toyotas.

#6 ·
I have Nooooo idea what they used for a protocol on the Japanese cars.

You might call a company like Drew Technologies and see if they know.

#8 · (Edited)
Up to 2008 most European Toyotas don't use Can-Bus, we are ISO OBD-II (EOBD).

As for your 7th gen Celica you might want to try OBD 1 scanner. This is the protocol most aging Hondas use from that time as well.

Edit: although in many parts of the world OBD-II was mandatory after 2000-2001 I found info that many JDM Toyotas do not use OBD-II up until 2003. Try with some older OBD-1 scanner I think it will work.

You can use alternative method to flash the CEL using the check engine light and then manually decode it.

Try this ukraine website and translate with google:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=sl&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http://www.alflash.com.ua/dtctoyota.htm

#12 ·
#9 ·
OK, on the JDM machines what i use to do dignostic scanning is the LAUNCH diagnostic computer...allows you full access to all systems, eg. engage and disengage lift at standstill, AC system dignostic and real time dignostics while moving. the OBDII scanners will not work. They will detect the ECu but will not be able to conect sucessufully to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.