Google

Old 09-24-2016, 03:18 PM   #51
Bitter

Ditto.
Originally Posted by JCMiller View Post
I'm gay
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98
no, don't even waste your time. if you want a honest sticker, at least get one that says "objects in mirror aren't really racing, so quit trying"...
Bitter is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2016, 06:45 PM   #52
newguy5

I dont remember how the image looked on ebay anymore but they were supposed to be supra sidemarkers. They are way too small for the celica.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:00 PM   #53
Bitter

Weird, the JDM Supra markers are more arrow shaped and have a bulge that rises up off them. USDM Supra markers are the same as Celica and MR2 markers.
I'm gay
Quote:
no, don't even waste your time. if you want a honest sticker, at least get one that says "objects in mirror aren't really racing, so quit trying"...

Old 09-25-2016, 01:50 AM   #54
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Those are not JDM Supra markers, hell... they aren't even any kind of 7th gen Celica markers.

This is how they should look.

C-ONE . TRIAL . MWR . VEILSIDE . ACT . VARRSTOEN . TEIN . ANSA . BEATRUSH . EBC . INJEN . TRD . BRASHBOY . OH MY!
Ghost Dragon is online now   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:51 AM   #55
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

I bet the ones you bought above are some kind of fender repeaters, that would be why they are so small.

C-ONE . TRIAL . MWR . VEILSIDE . ACT . VARRSTOEN . TEIN . ANSA . BEATRUSH . EBC . INJEN . TRD . BRASHBOY . OH MY!
Old 09-25-2016, 04:50 AM   #56
newguy5

They must have known they sent me the wrong thing because they didn't even argue and just refunded the money. I need to try again.
newguy5 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:11 AM   #57
Bitter

The only disadvantage, and why I haven't sprung for them yet, is that you loose your front side reflectors with the JDM markers. Doesn't seem like much but that's what makes the front of your car visible at night when parked, fine for a red car but I've got black.
I'm gay
Quote:
Old 09-25-2016, 04:10 PM   #58
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
The only disadvantage, you loose your front side reflectors with the JDM markers, fine for a red car but I've got black.
This is true, but most don't care much... and like he said it won't matter much with a red (or white ) car at night. But you will always still have the side reflector in your tails regardless... so just don't park with your nose sticking out near a dark road or driveway

Actually, if you were really anal about it... you could open the markers up and put reflective tape inside on the flat section to the side of where the bulb mounts with no problem.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:26 PM   #59
Bitter

I don't think the markers are easy to open, they're melted together.
I'm gay
Quote:
Old 09-25-2016, 07:27 PM   #60
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

I never said HOW you open them though. Bear in mind that I have opened and modified things like OEM tails which are not meant to be disassembled either.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:15 PM   #61
newguy5

Also over the weekend I removed my spoiler. I am trying to decide between going wingless for now or putting back the stock spoiler again. In the future possible an APR carbon fiber spoiler or the Brash Boy lip spoiler.

Sadly there is about 12 holes in my trunk as the person that installed that TRD spoiler driller 4 extra holes on the side to secure it and redrilled a couple of the original ones.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:45 PM   #62
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Yours does look a lot cleaner wingless, even the low stock wing looks better than the TRD style on your car.

But it does suck that you have all those holes in your deck. Too bad you have no custom hatch cover panel like this one, allowing for full switch out between various wings and Brashboy lip with a clean look.

You wanted to see it and here it is. I just finished it about a week ago, and it was a pain to make. lol

Old 09-26-2016, 07:20 PM   #63
Bitter

How does it stay on with no wing bolted through it?
I'm gay
Quote:
Old 09-26-2016, 08:36 PM   #64
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Quote:
How does it stay on with no wing bolted through it?

Many details help secure it, first the front edge slips under the rear glass weather stripping keeping the front down, then the sides curl around the hatch edges just enough to create a tension fit that snaps into place holding down both sides, and lastly just because I don't like the idea of someone ripping my Brashboy lip off in a lot... I modified the underside of the ends of the lip with threaded mounts and two bolts fit though small holes drilled on each side of the hatch and pass through matching holes on the panel, finally threading into the underside of the lip.

If you look closely, you can see the holes on the hatch in the pic with the panel off. Since I will always have either my Kami or Brashboy mounted, the small holes are always covered and won't show.

After all that, it is 100% secure and won't come off unless I remove it.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:06 AM   #65
newguy5

Wow that is really nice, really jealous of you. That is some fine craftsmanship right there.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:52 AM   #66
Bitter

Very cool.
I'm gay
Quote:
Old 09-27-2016, 08:48 PM   #67
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy5 View Post
Wow that is really nice, really jealous of you. That is some fine craftsmanship right there.
I appreciate the compliment, I am pretty pleased with it and wanted to get the BB lip on before I mount my new Trial rear since I think they look good together.

Quote:
Very cool.
Thanks very much.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:41 AM   #68
Bitter

Makes my little custom garnishes look like shit :lol:
I'm gay
Quote:
Old 09-28-2016, 04:20 PM   #69
newguy5

I think I may go with the BB lip spoiler. The more I drive wingless the more I am liking the look. I think the BB lip would complete it.

Anyone know where to get one before I start looking on websites?
Old 09-28-2016, 07:05 PM   #70
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Quote:
Makes my little custom garnishes look like shit :lol:

Quote:
I think I may go with the BB lip spoiler. The more I drive wingless the more I am liking the look. I think the BB lip would complete it.

Anyone know where to get one before I start looking on websites?
I agree, it would be best for your car. Here is a link, this is the cheapest I have found it in FRP. Good luck finding a CF one though if that is your preference.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BB-Style-Tru...lWKC1w&vxp=mtr

Old 09-29-2016, 06:18 PM   #71
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Also, here are links to two different sales on ebay for the Supra Mk IV type sidemarkers. The clear only comes as part of a full F/R set, but the smoked come alone. IMO, since you are doing a red/black theme with your car, the smoked would look much better than the clear. I think the clear would stick out like a sore thumb on your color scheme and would look cheap.

Clear

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-1998-TO...yo67aQ&vxp=mtr

Smoked

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1997-199...fJEL2w&vxp=mtr

Old 09-29-2016, 06:56 PM   #72
Bitter

If you get the smoked you'll need bulbs bright enough to shine through.

These will shine through real nice!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018GYMOZ0
They're super bright with OEM side markers, they'll light through the smoked ones even too.
I'm gay
Quote:
Old 09-30-2016, 02:27 AM   #73
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Quote:
If you get the smoked you'll need bulbs bright enough to shine through.

These will shine through real nice!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018GYMOZ0
They're super bright with OEM side markers, they'll light through the smoked ones even too.

Those seem good. Most decent LED bulbs will shine through the smoked fine, I have tried many with my smoked set and they all worked well. But if you want them really bright get a set of CREE T10 led bulbs. They are all over ebay and for cheap too. Personally, I wanted mine toned down a bit though, just bright enough to work as what they are... sidemarkers. If they are too damn bright they just look distracting.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:53 AM   #74
Bitter

Well I've wired mine as turn signal repeaters so I wanted them to be bright, they're on steady until the turn signals are on and then they flash opposite the turn signals or if the lights are off they flash with the turn signals. Gives some needed signaling visibility down the side of the car since our front signals only shine forward.
I'm gay
Quote:
Old 09-30-2016, 06:12 PM   #75
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Quote:
Well I've wired mine as turn signal repeaters so I wanted them to be bright, they're on steady until the turn signals are on and then they flash opposite the turn signals or if the lights are off they flash with the turn signals. Gives some needed signaling visibility down the side of the car since our front signals only shine forward.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that mod. That is a nice idea, and in that case having them brighter would make more sense. You didn't even need to add bulbs to the markers did you, you just modded the wiring right?

Old 09-30-2016, 07:05 PM   #76
Bitter

I already had the LED bulbs, I added a Diode Dynamics 'tail as turn' module to function the side marker like that. Flashing with turn signals when off and flashing when on with turn signals. Here's a dumb video showing how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5_c6vMiWX4
I'm gay
Quote:
Old 09-30-2016, 10:07 PM   #77
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

You can get essentially the same function as that by just splicing the neg sidemarker wire into the pos turn signal wire. And all that is needed is one short piece of wire for the entire mod. All functions will still work the same, but the markers and the signals should flash at the same rate that way. Here is a vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vRC6ed08Lg

Old 10-01-2016, 06:46 AM   #78
Bitter

Yes, but not when both bulbs are LED bulbs since they LED's are also Diodes and shouldn't pass current through in one direction (nor should the driver unless they're the "canbus" type which have a resistor across the +/- but that resistor just makes a ton of heat and burns up the LED or socket over a relatively short period of time). Passing current backward through a LED and it's driver can damage it, if not immediately then over time. With a normal turn signal bulb that wire trick works even if the side marker is LED, but with a LED turn signal and a LED side marker bulb it won't work or could damage the LED's or the driver circuit. The tail as turn module did exactly what I wanted with my LED's without any possibility of damaging them, and when the LED turn signals are sealed up inside the headlights, you don't want to damage them as it's a pain to service them....
I'm gay
Quote:
Old 10-01-2016, 02:59 PM   #79
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

I would think that having load resistors on your front turn signals would make a difference, and it isn't hard to access the turn bulbs in the headlight housings in any case.

Old 10-01-2016, 04:19 PM   #80
Bitter

I don't have any load resistors, I use an EP35 flasher.

I don't think you'v seen my turn signals, they're built INTO the headlight, it's an LED panel with a vreg.
http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/q...t/IMG_1241.jpg
I'm gay
Quote:
Old 10-01-2016, 05:09 PM   #81
newguy5

Yeah those smoked lights do look really good. You think they would look better than clear? I don't want a cheap look but I had seen a red Celica with clear that looked good. I'll compare them some more. I like the smoked price better obviously.

Yeah I did find a carbon fiber BB lip for like $170 which is a little pricey. I'll keep searching for a bit. Don't want to make an impulse buy.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:24 AM   #82
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Quote:
I don't think you'v seen my turn signals, they're built INTO the headlight, it's an LED panel with a vreg.
http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/q...t/IMG_1241.jpg
You're right, I didn't know you did something special to your signals. That certainly changes things. Also, your complaint about it being a pain to access makes sense now.

Quote:
Yeah those smoked lights do look really good. You think they would look better than clear? I don't want a cheap look but I had seen a red Celica with clear that looked good. I'll compare them some more. I like the smoked price better obviously.

Yeah I did find a carbon fiber BB lip for like $170 which is a little pricey. I'll keep searching for a bit. Don't want to make an impulse buy.
I definitely think the smoked will flow better with your theme, you should try em out... they grow on you more and more as you look at them. As for the BB lip, I have never seen one sell for less than $150. in CF. They also need to be cleared with a UV resistant clear coat when you get them, or the CF will fade and go green after a while.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:01 AM   #83
Bitter

Smoked will look the best on that red car with the other dark and black accents it has, it's about building a color theme on the car to me, to get the colors to flow from front to back of the vehicle and if possible through the inside too.
I'm gay
Quote:
Old 10-02-2016, 09:04 AM   #84
newguy5

Alright you guys sold me, I will try out the smoked ones.

Also, for the BB lip, do you think I would be better off getting a real CF one and having to coat it so it does not go green or pay less for a normal black one and wrap it in 4D CF wrap so that it never has an issue with going green?

Do you think the wrap looks cheap and I should go for the real CF?
Old 10-02-2016, 10:06 AM   #85
Bitter

The smoked marker will flow to the black end panel on the wing, not sure about the BB trunk lip though. I think it looks better on more stock-ish cars than it does one with a hood and front bumper like yours. I think the wing matches the aggressive front styling you got going on.
I'm gay
Quote:
Old 10-02-2016, 03:04 PM   #86
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Bottom line on both the lip and the sidemarkers is that any dark/black accents on your car will work with the overall 2 tone contrast color theme. The new dark additions will go with the dark center of the hood, dark fuel door and all other factory dark OEM accents on the car to create a more red/black look. One day you may even find that you want to try wrapping your roof and hatch.

Good choice on the markers, I think you will really like them... but even if you don't it is an easy part to change out.

For the BB... trust me on this as I have done the same look myself, just with back/white, it really won't matter if you go with CF or black or both CF and black accents on a red car, it will all work. Just so long as you avoid putting large real CF and black parts right next to each other. Also, I would really just go with the BB in FGR as it is, no CF. The FGR lip comes in a nice basic black and can literally just be put right on the car straight out of the box. That is what I did, you can see how it looks in my pics above.

I would not try to wrap the lip with anything either, trust me... the ends will be a pain in the ass to try to wrap, and I doubt you can even do it clean without ending up having to make cuts and leaving seams showing on both ends.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:49 PM   #87
newguy5

Did you wrap your hatch or is that a CF hatch? I have thought about wrapping the hatch before but I don't know what I would do about the decals. Do you have to pull them off and reattach them?

Also I still need to fix those holes. I could always wrap the hatch and cover the holes that way but that seems sloppy.

I think I will take your advice with getting the plain black BB spoiler. The stock spoiler in black that I test fit looked great.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:55 PM   #88
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

If you are asking about my hatch, I wrapped it in 3M 1080 CF vinyl. If you do the hatch it looks best to also do the roof, but I will warn you that neither is easy to wrap (especially the roof with sunroof opening). Some people prefer to plasti-dip spray instead of wrapping. Also, you can't just wrap right over the holes, they will still show through the wrap (why do you think I made a whole custom fiberglass cover panel?). They need to be blocked or covered before wrapping since the vinyl is thin and won't hide everything.

By "decals" I assume you mean the plastic OEM Toyota and GT-S emblems (decals are just flat stickers). Here is the basic process for removing/re-applying the emblems.

1. Check spacing from the hatch edges and note measurements on OEM position if you want to match it when reapplying the emblems.

2. Remove emblems with some dental floss or fishing line, a heat gun (on low) and some goo-gone and alcohol for final cleanup. Also remove all DS tape residue from the back of the emblem, clean well and apply new DS tape to cover the entire surface (I recommend 3M 3614). Next you just trim around the edges from the back to match the outline with an x-acto knife.

3. Wrap hatch with vinyl or spray dip (this has its own set of instructions). Wipe the area to mount the emblem with alcohol.

4. Measure out where you want the emblem on the hatch based on the original measurements you noted, and use painters/masking tape to mark the bottom edge and one side (to keep it evenly spaced & level when sticking it on, cause you will get one shot since this tape does not want to let go when it touches down). Peel edges of tape backing to have something to grab and pull when positioning the emblem in place. Stick it back on carefully and press down all over to secure.

I just left the Toyota off and repainted my GT-S black and put that back on. It looks cleaner imo.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:03 PM   #89
newguy5

That sounds like quite the project but I am intrigued. Do you have any additional pictures of your car/hatch/roof so I could get a feel for how it looks with the wrap on it?
Old 10-06-2016, 05:12 PM   #90
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Well you can see the hatch very well in the pics I posted above, but I will take a few of the roof at the show I am going to this weekend and post those too.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:25 PM   #91
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

OK, here is a couple shots of my wrapped roof as you requested.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:05 AM   #92
newguy5

That looks awesome, a really good job.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:07 AM   #93
Bitter

Yes, very nice! Any plans to paint the hinge area so it doesn't show white, I get OCD about little details that no one will ever see.
I'm gay
Quote:
Old 10-11-2016, 06:00 PM   #94
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Quote:
That looks awesome, a really good job.
Thanks, it was a real pain to get it all to lay down correctly, but worth it in the end. You think you might wrap your roof too?

Quote:
Yes, very nice! Any plans to paint the hinge area so it doesn't show white, I get OCD about little details that no one will ever see.
LOL, in person you never see the white the the narrow gap between the hatch edge and roof edge, it is just shadowed in there. It only shows in one pic because I was using the flash and had the camera high over the car shooting down on it.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:51 PM   #95
newguy5

I am thinking about it, I want to try something new. If it would look half as good as yours then I would be happy.

I am also starting to grow tired of the hood. I wonder if lots of people go through the aggressive phase and then want to move back to the cleaner look.

If I had unlimited money I would probably get a less aggressive hood of some sort and possibly a better fitting, cleaner front bumper as well.

Oh well, first things first I will look into wrapping the trunk/roof and also add a BB lip and fix the holes in the trunk.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:11 PM   #96
Bitter

I've always liked a more subtle looking car unless you've got gobs of power to back it up.
I'm gay
Quote:
Old 10-12-2016, 10:00 PM   #97
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Quote:
If it would look half as good as yours then I would be happy.

I wonder if lots of people go through the aggressive phase and then want to move back to the cleaner look.

I would probably get a less aggressive hood of some sort and possibly a better fitting, cleaner front bumper as well.

Oh well, first things first I will look into wrapping the trunk/roof and also add a BB lip and fix the holes in the trunk.

Thanks for the compliment. I think a lot of people do go through different phases with their cars, I have changed out parts (especially exterior aesthetics) numerous times. Sometimes a look I thought was great yesterday is not doing it for me today. Even funnier is the fact that some of the parts I currently have on my car and love were parts I originally didn't like when I saw them on other people's cars.

Later on if you want simple and clean with a little something extra for the front end, you might want to do an oem style cf hood like a Seibon or VIS and either leave it cf or paint it to match the car, maybe with a special subtle raised scoop like the Tsunami added. Your invader style hood is among the most aggressive hoods for this car (even more so with a 2-tone look). For the bumpers I think many agree that the cleanest front ends are oem bumpers (some with added lips), or perhaps a refined aftermarket like Kaminari. Some consistently popular oem fronts are the 03+, TRD and Tsunami... even the 00-02 fronts can look great with a nice lip. Some nice lips inclide C-One, Greddy, Visage, the Dynamic lip and a few Euro/Japanese oem lips.

But for now, taking care of your holes, BB lip and wrap seems a good inexpensive change.

Quote:
I've always liked a more subtle looking car unless you've got gobs of power to back it up.
There are many elaborate show car owners with lower performance cars. It really doesn't matter, all should feel comfortable doing what they like with their car, and shouldn't be intimidated or afraid just because their car isn't "fast enough" to live up to some imagined connection between aesthetics and performance... this is just an illusion anyway. In Japan the modified car scene is a lot more accepting and people there mod some of the slowest, oddest and most unlikely vehicles you can imagine, because to them it is more about individual creativity and not who's got the best performance.

Now that is a mentality to be greatly respected.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:13 AM   #98
2KGTS

Quote:
Spoken like a man who's car is a pooch.

For Sale Soon: 2000 Liquid Silver GT-S: 187fwhp@218,000 miles
DDPR | Cobb | Apexi | Magnaflow / BC Racing | Hotchkiss | TRD

Quote:
It's like sex with your cute but chubby cousin that one time when you had both had too much wine at Christmas dinner. You know it's wrong, you're not stopping, and you really regret it the next morning. That is poutine, Canada does this 24x7x365. Canada are a bunch of sick bi-lingual metric cousin f*ckers.
2KGTS is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:30 PM   #99
Bitter

You know it!
I'm gay
Quote:
Old 10-16-2016, 04:44 PM   #100
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Hey Newguy, in case you haven't seen it yet... I saw your post/query in the "one pic of your car" thread and left a reply for you with a pic that looks quite similar to the one you like.