Red 2003 GT-S - Page 3 - NewCelica.org Forum

Install Guides Parts Catalog Gallery Tech Info

Go Back   NewCelica.org Forum > Celica Discussion > Multimedia > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Lets See Your Rides

Support NCO
Google

Old 10-17-2016, 03:46 PM   #101
newguy5

Thanks for pointing that out. I did not mean to post there, I meant to post here. Nice job on catching that.

I don't even know what to say about your car, that is pure beauty. It may well be my favorite celica of all time, I'm really jealous.That looks amazing.

You also have the tinted side markers, right? I also really like that hood. A little more than a stock CF one, but not too aggressive like that invader. That looks awesome.

How did you wrap the roof of your car? Did you get the wrap under the edges of the moonroof or is it just right up against?

Also, what do you think of the rain shields on your car? I thought of them before but didnt know if they would look out of place or not.

That car looks so good, almost makes me wish mine were white.

I am really thinking about a stock front again with a lip, yours looks really good.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:34 PM   #102
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Oh, I thought you did mean to post there... but it does make more sense now considering you didn't put up a current shot of your car.

Cheers on the appreciation for my girl too, I have worked diligently to get her to where she is today.

Yep, my sidemarkers are the smoked Supra type I recommended to you. My FFGT hood is more elaborate than an oem style cf hood, but more subtle than many other cf hoods. Essentially it has a hood scoop that sits very similarly to a Tsunami and the gill-vents added on both sides, otherwise the basic shape is like oem.

I love the rain visors too, they work very well (and remember I am in the pacific NW) and I like the look. I went with the genuine Toyota type instead of the AVS type some people use, mainly because they stick out less and look cleaner. They also mount better with metal clips instead of just tape.

When I wrapped my roof I removed everything to do it right. I took out the sunroof glass and removed the molding strips on both sides to get the vinyl fully down in all the cracks to avoid it peeling up on the edges. I highly recommend doing this.

I think your car would look much improved with an oem front+lip... but then again, I am obviously prejudiced.

C-ONE . TRIAL . MWR . VEILSIDE . ACT . VARRSTOEN . TEIN . ANSA . BEATRUSH . EBC . INJEN . TRD . BRASHBOY . OH MY!
Ghost Dragon is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #103
newguy5

I will definitely look into the oem front + lip. In the meantime I am going to try and search for pictures with that + the veilside side skirt to see how they look together.

Maybe in the next month or so I can try and wrap my hatch and see how that looks. Do I have to have a heat gun to get the Toyota/GTS logo off or can I just use floss and work it off?

Old 10-18-2016, 04:10 PM   #104
Bitter

Use the heat gun, I broke my shit using floss and the reside was a bitch to get off. I think it looks better with nothing back there personally, I got some CELICA vinyl reflective inserts for the hatch handle cut that look cool against my black car, maybe reflective black for your red car.
Originally Posted by JCMiller View Post
I'm gay
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98
no, don't even waste your time. if you want a honest sticker, at least get one that says "objects in mirror aren't really racing, so quit trying"...
Bitter is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:05 PM   #105
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy5 View Post
Do I have to have a heat gun to get the Toyota/GTS logo off or can I just use floss and work it off?
YES. Bitter is correct, you must use a heat gun (on low only) to soften the adhesive enough to get the floss to cut it off much more easily. Otherwise you get breakage as he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
I think it looks better with nothing back there personally, I got some CELICA vinyl reflective inserts for the hatch handle cut that look cool against my black car, maybe reflective black for your red car.
He does have a point. I thought it looked too busy factory style, which is why I ditched the Toyota emblem all together. But I still wanted the GT-S one... so I masked mine off and painted the center black as you can see in the pic below. I like the subtle look far more than the original red on my black wrapped hatch.

C-ONE . TRIAL . MWR . VEILSIDE . ACT . VARRSTOEN . TEIN . ANSA . BEATRUSH . EBC . INJEN . TRD . BRASHBOY . OH MY!

Last edited by Ghost Dragon; 10-19-2016 at 01:35 AM..
Old 10-23-2016, 04:36 PM   #106
newguy5

So I think I mentioned it before but I decided to remove my Invader hood as I felt it was a little too aggressive for a wingless (hopefully a BB lip soon) car.

I put my stock hood back on but kept the carbon fiber hood scoop to continue with the red/CF color scheme. Personally I think it looks better. Also a huge plus was that the hood matches up a LOT better with the front bumper and it looks normal again. I am very happy with the fitment of the front bumper now.

While at it I used a Meguires head light cleaner kit and polished my front headlights. It may be hard to tell from the picture but they look brand new again. It made an unbelievable difference.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:40 PM   #107
Bitter

Love it!
I'm gay
Quote:
no, don't even waste your time. if you want a honest sticker, at least get one that says "objects in mirror aren't really racing, so quit trying"...
Old 10-23-2016, 06:23 PM   #108
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Good choices, she is much improved with just those few changes. I never really liked the invader hood anyway, your oem looks much cleaner. Good work.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:08 PM   #109
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

More pics, less talk.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:26 PM   #110
newguy5

I am looking into getting the Carbon fiber wrap. What length x width would you recommend? Below there is a list of different sizes, not cheap though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3221814...&ul_noapp=true

Maybe there is somewhere cheaper. Most look to be this price range though.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:04 PM   #111
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Its a lot cheaper than getting it painted. What do you plan to wrap, just the hatch or the complete hatch and roof?

If you want to do the roof, top edge of hatch and bottom of the hatch, you need a bare minimum of 6 feet at 4 feet wide. If you just want to do the hatch it would be about 2ft x 4ft. The width of everything on your car you want to wrap is close to 4ft. I spent around $125. when I got my vinyl, and that is cheap for such a major change to a large area of the car.

Don't forget you will also need a heat gun (around $20.+), plastic squeegee with a felt edge (about $4.), a pair of scissors, some alcohol and a few other little things. You will also need an assistant, don't try to do this alone it will only frustrate you... and will be much harder.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:23 PM   #112
newguy5

Random picture from today. I think it looks cleaner now. Yeah I may start with just the hatch to see how that goes. Not sure when I will get the time though. Hopefully I can get the side markers sooner than later.
newguy5 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:39 AM   #113
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Yes... losing the wing and the hood made a real difference. I suggest your next big changes be to wrap the roof/hatch and upgrade to a new oem front bumper. Oh yeah, just my opinion... but your black fuel door looks so much less impressive than a clear smoked Toyota sports lid. Pick one of these babies up and you won't regret it

Old 10-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #114
newguy5

Yeah I wish I could get that lid but I think it is like 175 dollars from some Japanese site if I recall.

Also I would like to tint the windows some time. Is 35% everywhere but the front good? I dont want to be so dark I get cop attention
Old 10-28-2016, 02:39 PM   #115
Bitter

I think the TRD door and cap looks gaudy.
I'm gay
Quote:
Old 10-28-2016, 04:03 PM   #116
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Quote:
Yeah I wish I could get that lid but I think it is like 175 dollars from some Japanese site if I recall.

Also I would like to tint the windows some time. Is 35% everywhere but the front good? I dont want to be so dark I get cop attention
Yeah, the lid is expensive, but of all the things I have done to my car the sports lid gets commented on by people probably more than any other single part on the car. Besides, you are modding an import car, some parts are just expensive and/or rare. We have all been through it.

On tint, unfortunately if you are in PA you can only legally have 70% on both sides and in the rear. As long as you don't go much darker than legally allowed, you will be fine. You will get stopped for 35% but probably not for a bit darker like 65%. I love that we get 35% in OR.

Quote:
I think the TRD door and cap looks gaudy.
I did too because I don't much like chrome, which is why I replaced it with the one below. I just love the fuel lid itself, you can use almost any cap underneath.

Old 10-28-2016, 05:31 PM   #117
Bitter

I guess I just never got what was so cool about having a transparent gas door?
I'm gay
Quote:
Old 10-28-2016, 05:43 PM   #118
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

I didn't either until I put it on and got a feel for it. It is just a really nice looking cosmetic upgrade that goes well with 2-tone cars and is a very nice subtle accent on black cars.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:08 PM   #119
Bitter

Hmm...I guess. I'm sure people don't get why I like/do the things I do either.
I'm gay
Quote:
Old 10-28-2016, 06:28 PM   #120
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Yeah, it is ultimately down to individual taste I'm sure.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:18 AM   #121
cmcontroversy

So where can I get his gas lid and cap? ?
cmcontroversy is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:54 AM   #122
Bitter

Anywhere that'll take your first born son as payment :lol:
I'm gay
Quote:
Old 10-29-2016, 06:55 PM   #123
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Quote:
Anywhere that'll take your first born son as payment :lol:

True.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:23 PM   #124
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

And then all was still...

Old 11-05-2016, 06:01 AM   #125
newguy5

I'm still here! Just not much to report on right now. I definitely will not get 70% tint, that is hardly noticeable.
I see a lot of cars in PA that have illegal tint. That is why I was thinking in the 30% range. It shouldn't attract too much attention as I see many 20%s or less.

I am also thinking of getting a heat gun soonish to try and remove the logos from the car in preparation for sometime attempting to wrap the hatch.

Did you just tuck it in real good around the rear window?
Old 11-05-2016, 06:28 AM   #126
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Don't forget that your car is (by many people's standards) ricey/sporty looking, and of course is... RED ....... so cops will automatically pay more attention to you than a lot of other cars. If they want to pick on you, the tint will be an obvious reason to stop you. Then if they want to ticket you for any other mods they feel are illegal, they probably will.

But if they just focus on the tint at least its just a fix-it ticket, so you should try the 35% to 50% range and see how it goes. I think 50% will be easy to get by with, but 35% will be a lot more obvious. Remember that darker interiors also make the tint look darker than it does in the shop, or on a car with a light interior.

If you mean my cf wrap, I tucked it in underneath all the weather stripping. Heat guns go for cheap on ebay, and are usually pretty cheap at stores like Home Depot and OSH.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:36 PM   #127
TRlPPlN

Send a message via AIM to TRlPPlN Send a message via Yahoo to TRlPPlN
looking much better man!!!

{the8M6syndicate} - 004
TRlPPlN is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:22 PM   #128
newguy5

Thank you very much Trippin!

Alright I am looking at carbon fiber vinyls again. Does anyone have experience with different kinds and is there a less expensive kind that isn't garbage?

How about these?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01914XPPC?psc=1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/60-x72-BLACK...tW2TTw&vxp=mtr

The 4D one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3D-4D-5D-6D-...3D400338025723
Old 11-22-2016, 09:02 PM   #129
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Cmon, don't be so cheap about it. Consider that you need something that lays down properly on a wide range of curves, vents air as it goes down, has a good elongation/stretch, is very durable and highly UV resistant. My film has already lasted almost 6 years through sun, rain, snow and ice, and it isn't even showing signs of wear yet.

There is a reason that 3M has the reputation for quality materials they have. These vinyls are not all equal quality you know. I have tried several other films and none compared. In fact that 3D to 6D stuff doesn't do compound curves well at all, if you have a surface curved in one direction its fine, but otherwise it doesn't work with you well at all.

Just spend a few extra bucks to get the best quality available, unless you plan to pull it all off in a few months. In that case just get a couple cans of plastidip and call it a day.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:54 AM   #130
newguy5

I kinda figured you'd say that but it couldn't hurt to ask. The premium wrap it is. I don't want a slop job.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:47 PM   #131
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Old 11-25-2016, 10:09 AM   #132
newguy5

So I got the smoked side markers for my birthday and installed them today. I think they look way better.

Sorry this one is upside down.

I think I may try and get some clear coat for the hood scoop next. When it is wet it looks perfectly new and clean so I am hoping the clear coat gives it that look permanently.

I am also in the process of acquiring the materials I need to fill in the holes in my trunk myself. I figured I would do it for a good learning experience, probably will save money too.

Last edited by newguy5; 11-25-2016 at 10:18 AM..
Old 11-25-2016, 01:14 PM   #133
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Quote:
So I got the smoked side markers for my birthday and installed them today. I think they look way better.
Of course they do, exactly as I told you they would. See how they go well with the black/red theme? The clear would have looked tacky.

Quote:
I think I may try and get some clear coat for the hood scoop next. When it is wet it looks perfectly new and clean so I am hoping the clear coat gives it that look permanently.
Just spraying on clear won't do it, if you intend to do a rattlecan job. It will look better at first, but it won't really look the way it should, and it won't last unless you do it the right way with all the prep sanding and buffing.

Quote:
I am also in the process of acquiring the materials I need to fill in the holes in my trunk myself. I figured I would do it for a good learning experience, probably will save money too.
Usually cheaper and often I find best to do things yourself.

Old 11-25-2016, 04:42 PM   #134
Bitter

I think painting the "teeth" on the front bumper black might look good along with the side markers. Any opinions?
I'm gay
Quote:
Old 11-25-2016, 04:58 PM   #135
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

By "teeth" I am guessing that you mean the two protruding ridges at the bottom of the front bumper on the lip portion, and on either side of the opening into the radiator... correct?

If so, it is an interesting idea, I haven't seen it done before with this bumper.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:25 PM   #136
Bitter

Yes, those "teeth", I don't know what else to call them :lol:
I'm gay
Quote:
Old 11-26-2016, 12:35 AM   #137
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Seems like a fair description, it got across. lol

I think he could paint or wrap the whole middle lip section in between those too and it would also look good.

Old 11-26-2016, 07:36 AM   #138
Bitter

Yea! Like a CF blade to match the scoop.
I'm gay
Quote:
Old 11-26-2016, 04:49 PM   #139
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Exactly.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:10 PM   #140
newguy5

Hmm that is certainly an interesting idea
Old 11-27-2016, 01:03 PM   #141
newguy5

I used JB Weld and put metal plates over all the holes in my trunk today. Hopefully later this week I can use Bondo to fill them in.

Before: I wasnt kidding about how many holes were drilled.

After:

Old 11-27-2016, 01:12 PM   #142
Bitter

Damn. Did you put some glass fiber tape in with the jbweld?
I'm gay
Quote:
Old 11-27-2016, 01:15 PM   #143
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Damn, somebody got crazy with a drill on that hatch. I'm glad you were clever enough to use the metal plates on the bottom. This is a pretty standard permanent way to do the hatch holes, I have seen a lot of guys do it the same way.

You should shave the wiper too while you are at it, it looks so much cleaner wingless and wiperless in the rear. Besides, the wiper really isn't necessary... and I would know, living in one of the rainiest states in the country.

Old 11-27-2016, 02:54 PM   #144
newguy5

I did not put some glass fiber tape in with it, how would that help? I was following the guide created by lilmexicanoboi.

Yeah I thought about the wiper but I actually use it a decent amount and don't think I am ready to part with it.

Bondo later and then I got a heat gun so I can start removing the GTS and toyota emblems.

THen I will need to order the 3M wrap.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:36 PM   #145
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Fiberglass tape is sometimes used on repairs like this, but it is more necessary for rusted out holes etc. As long as you roughed up the underside of the hatch and the metal plates well with sandpaper or a grinder before bonding with JB weld, it will definitely hold fine. Then I assume you used a bit more weld in the holes on top to seal it up.

Gio (Lilmex) is a buddy of mine from when I was living down in SoCal, and his work always lasted just fine.

You'll be sorry later, the wiper looks cumbersome as hell without a wing on. PA isn't that bad on rain either, I used to live there. There is no way you need a rear wiper more than anyone in the Pacific NW either, and I don't really need it. I use Rain X on my glass and the water just sheds off instantly like from a waxed body. But if you want it, its up to you.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:20 PM   #146
newguy5

Sorry for not getting pictures up faster. Here is what the trunk looks after I filled the holes in using Bondo.

It was pretty miserable sanding everything down again. I accidentally got down to the metal a place or two but since I will be wrapping the trunk it doesn't bother me too much.

We had an unseasonably warm day today so I was able to remove the decals. Heat gun for about 20 seconds and dental floss got it right off.

I then used Goof Off to remove the rest of the residue. This was the easiest part of the project so far.

I also got the BB lip spoiler and am waiting for the 3M wrap to arrive so that I can wrap the trunk.

It looks like removing the hatch handle may be difficult yet as well but I will wait to do that until I can wrap the same day.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:49 PM   #147
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Yeah, removing the emblems isn't a big deal. Removing the hatch handle is easy too, you'll see.

But let me emphasize that you should NOT try to wrap the hatch outside. Do it in a garage, because if any debris (no matter how small) falls under the film it will be a bitch to get it all out, and it will show if you leave it under the film.

Also, do NOT wrap when it is too cold. The material doesn't like cold, or extreme heat/cold changes while being applied. It won't stretch right, and may very well tear under such circumstances.

Do not underestimate wrapping the bottom of the hatch, it has a lot more compound curves than you think, and wrinkling will occur while wrapping. The heat gun and your felt wrapped squeegee will be your best friends while working out all the wrinkles, puckers and air-traps.

Good luck.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:04 PM   #148
newguy5

Thank you. I have a felt squeegee and the wrap. Possibly this weekend it will be warm enough to wrap the hatch.

Any final tips? I will wash it real good and get off any wax so that the wrap will bond tightly. I will use a heat gun to try and get it around the contours.

Did you remove the black strip against the back window first? If so, how did you do that and could you put it back again? Is it glued in there?
Old 01-09-2017, 08:37 PM   #149
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Be sure to refer to all the info I previously listed here regarding wrapping... especially the part about having an assistant. Aside from all that, the only things I would add is that after washing & drying it isn't a bad idea to wipe down all surfaces with some iso alcohol to be sure the adhesive sticks well and all residue is removed. Also, only peel the backing off the portion you are working with rather than the whole piece, or it will try to grab everything.

As for the weather stripping, you can't remove that without taking out the window glass since it will destroy the molding. But it doesn't matter since all you need to do is after you are done wrapping, cut the final edge with an excess of about 1/2" and slide a credit card (or something similar) between the molding and the metal, prying it away just enough to tuck the wrap edge underneath with your squeegee.

The most important factor of all is PATIENCE! Take your time and do not rush or get frustrated, it can be a little tricky for some who haven't done it before.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:58 AM   #150
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

So what is your plan now for the front? I noticed in a sale thread you were inquiring about a 2000 oem bumper.