NewCelica.org Forum banner

Attenuating bass exhaust noise...

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Magusownz 
#1 ·
Hi!

I have a custom 3" exhaust for my setup which has a catalyst, a resonator and a big straight-through muffler. The thing is that after 3000rpm and at -0.1boost and above, it gets REALLY noisy. Specifically, bass frequencies resonate and all you hear is a REALLY loud hum which covers the engine sound and the sound of the tires.

I think that my problem will be solved by a chambered muffler. I know that I am going to have a performance loss but the noise is really unbearable for me. Do you have any recommendations to that? I was thinking of getting a factory muffler from a really big engine, is that a good idea? If so, can you recommend me one? Any info would be highly appreciated...

#3 ·
What brands of resonator and muffler? Magnaflow stuff is excellent at killing noise. I run a 16210 (I think) and it's almost as quiet as stock, just a little growl above 3000 and under hard acceleration. You being boosted with 3", obviously more sound. What kind of tip? Tip should be same size as muffler inlet, if bigger it's just a megaphone amplifier.

#5 ·
Thanks for the heads up guys. I have tried both Vibrant and Magnaflow and was not satisfied by the noise levels. I guess I am too peaky with noise and want to achieve an as close to stock quiteness as possible.

I will shoot ARK an e-mail and see how it goes...

#6 ·
You could line mufflers up, run a 3" can (if they make one like the 16210) where the stock was and another straight through at the back bumper, and maybe even one in right off the cat before the resonator.

#7 ·
Also, I know I asked before...what kind of tip/outlet are you using? Megaphone tips are horrible for noise control, I know it won't look fashionable but a tip that dumps straight down to the ground are much quieter.

#9 ·
That's good. Experiment with shoving different angles and lengths of pipe on the end to see if you and push the noise elsewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.