NewCelica.org Forum banner

2015 Lexus RC 300 / 350 / RC F

48K views 357 replies 11 participants last post by  Motor 
#1 ·
See less See more
#106 ·
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/allT9JetPOI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1fRy-467qJM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dJvdbp_nfe4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/djEswns7I24?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LiT-bPq0_H0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bkHR56wPABE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#107 ·
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/K9PdFPKD6GM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TUn9teZTXWQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ICDNkEGm6Dc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#108 ·
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rPU0T466LTc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/elgQncXIGK8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#110 ·
Update!

Lexus RC F first drive review
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/lexus/rc-f/first-drives/lexus-rc-f-first-drive-review
Better on road than it is on track, but the RC F still feels like a car that was designed for the last decade, not the next

What is it like?
Key question here is therefore - can the Lexus RC F belie such apparent technical antiquation by being all warm and cuddly where it counts - on the road? The answer is both yes and no.

In many ways, what you see is what you get. The RC F makes a fabulous noise and goes as hard as you'd imagine it might given that it has 471bhp and 392lb ft but weighs two tonnes with two people on board.

In a straight line it's at least a seven out of 10, with a snappy eight-speed gearbox that features all sorts of different drive modes plus that NASCAR soundtrack doing all it can to enhance the excitement factor whenever possible. But even in a straight line, a BMW M3 it is not. Not by a long chalk.

But that doesn't matter because it goes round corners beautifully and has delicious steering and handling so can be forgiven for weighing a bit too much because the driver involvement it provides makes an M3 seem boring by comparison, correct? Not quite.

On the track we drove on in the USA, which had been chosen specifically by Lexus to demonstrate the car's abilities, the RC F felt surprisingly clumsy near the limit, with shuddering brakes and nowhere near enough precision to its handling.

It was, to be honest, a bit of a disappointment at eight tenths and beyond, with neither the composure nor the thrill factor you'd hope for, despite featuring a new Torsen differential.

As a road car, though, the RC F makes much more sense. Its ride is supple in all but the most aggressive drive mode, of which there are four in total to choose from.

Its electric power steering is also accurate and precise without ever delivering much in the way of genuine interaction between your palms and the road below. And the noise and thrust from its V8 engine is pretty magical on occasions, while even the handling seems more incisive at lower, less strenuous road speeds.

As a pure road car, in fact, the RC F is a highly desirable, rapid, and really rather lovely thing to drive - with a mostly brilliant new interior and a level of quality inside that few if any cars at this level can match.

If Lexus made a little bit less of a noise about the RC F being a great track car, it would be far easier to accept it for the soothing and refined sports GT car that it unquestionably is. But as a track weapon alone it lacks teeth, and in this class that's either a major drawback or a mild disappointment, depending on what you expect from such a machine.

Should I buy one?
Overall the RC F struggles to compete with the M3 on too many levels to be classed as a genuine contender. Like the IS F it loosely replaces, it's an intriguing outsider, nothing more, even if it is powered by one of the most naughty sounding V8s money can buy.

And for the 170 people who Lexus hopes will buy one in the UK next year, none of this will matter much because, if nothing else, the RC F looks so compellingly different from the herd. This alone will make it appeal to a certain kind of customer; to someone who wouldn't be seen dead in an Audi or an M3. And that's absolutely fine by us.
Lexus RC F 2014 review
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/lexus/rc/88491/lexus-rc-f-2014-review
Striking coupe stands out, but doesn’t have driver appeal to match its style

Verdict

The RC F enters a sector with incredibly high standards and tough competition – defined at this time by the new BMW M4. Its depth of engineering is incredible and the raw ingredients should make for a unique and enticing package. But despite the promise, the 5.0-litre V8 feels slightly breathless and the RC F’s weight blunts handling and erodes precision. It’s good, but it’s not the best this class has to offer.
Lexus RC F (2014) review
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives...es/Lexus-RC-F-2014-review-can-it-beat-the-M3/
Where did this Lexus RC F suddenly spring from?
It’s based on the RC coupe which US dealers get very soon, but which we won’t get in the UK until next year when a turbo four will replace the Yank-spec V6. But you might recognise the styling from a couple of previous Lexus concept cars, the LF-CC and LF-LC.

What’s under the skin?
The front end is from a GS, the back end from the old IS F saloon, and the bit in between, is borrowed from the IS C cabrio. Seventy percent of the suspension components are new, however, and Lexus says the structure is massively stiff, which it bloody well ought to be, given that it weighs 200kg more than a BMW M4 coupe.

To deal with that heft, it gets a reworked version of the IS F’s 5.0 V8, which receives a 48bhp boost and now sends 465bhp to the rear-wheels through an eight-speed automatic gearbox. At the back there’s a Torsen limited slip diff as standard, with the option of a torque-vectoring unit.

First impressions?
A smile when you see that the exhaust tailpipes are genuine this time, instead of the nasty fake plastic things stuck onto the bumper of the IS F. And an even bigger smile when the V8 wakes up with a growl and serves a perfect reminder of what’s wrong with the M4’s new engine. Then you squeeze the right pedal and realise what BMW got right. The truth is the RC F never feels that quick, not quick enough for the company it keeps, anyway. Lexus quotes 4.5sec to 62mph, but that’s 0.3sec down on an M4, and you really have to work it hard to get your kicks. It simply doesn’t produce enough torque for a car that’s too heavy. It’s around 6mpg thirstier than the BMW, too.

There are good points. On track, it feels absolutely faithful, the steering has a reassuring linearity to it and the brakes are strong. But it never feels as nimble or controlled as the BMW, even with the smart diff working its magic, and lacks the wallop you get in the M4 when you plant the throttle on the exit of a corner.

On the road it fares much better. The ride is mostly good, and while the paucity of low and mid-range power is even more apparent, the engine is actually a bit of a charmer. The interior, lifted straight from the IS saloon, is a lovely thing too. You twist the audio volume dial and everything from the texture and shape of the knob to the precision and gearing of the gubbins behind it exemplifies Lexus’s attention to detail. Less happily, the LFA’s unloved computer mouse controller has been swapped for a rubbish laptop-style trackpad to operate the multimedia system. It needs binned for a rotary dial. And while there are four seats, the rear is more cramped than an M4’s.

Anything else I need to know?
Well, you’d be advised to steer clear of the hideous RC F Carbon, which adds a massive £8000 to the £59,995 base price in exchange for a Mark Levinson hi-fi, heated Alcantara seats, tastier same-sized alloys and that trick diff, but also a carbon roof and bonnet. The roof, we could live with, and the two are said to save 15kg, but the bonnet is seriously OTT. Fortunately you should be able to cherry pick some of those options for the base car, which is predictably loaded with goodies anyway.

Verdict
We ran an IS F, a car that never troubled the old M3 much in group tests, as a long termer, and really came to admire it. Lexus cars have that effect on you. They’re about more than what you’ll discover on a brief test drive. But if you asked us where to put your coupe money today, we’d have to go for the BMW, or hang on for the new twin-turbo AMG C63 that’s due to pop up any time soon. As it stands the Lexus is heavier, thirstier, pricier, and not as much fun as the competition. It’s a three and half star car, but we don’t do half stars. The ray of sunlight that might turn those three stars into four is that Lexus’s engineers say there’s much more to come from the RC F. We’re ready when you are, boys.
Lexus RC F review
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/293191/lexus_rc_f_review_prices_and_specs.html
Can Lexus’ rival to the BMW M4 capture some of the brilliance of their LFA supercar and upset the established German rivals?

What is it?

This is Lexus’ M4 – a pumped-up coupe with a thumping 471bhp and a distinctive and seriously aggressive look. It follows on from the excellent IS F and is inspired by the simply breathtaking LFA… so it might just be a car to take the fight to the new BMW M4. The RC F costs from £59,995, over £3000 more than the BMW, but comes loaded with kit. The RC F Carbon saves 10kg, gets shiny black weave for the bonnet, roof and active rear spoiler plus more alcantara for the interior and a trick torque vectoring rear differential for £67,995. If you don’t fancy the bare carbon bonnet (it does look a bit Fast and Furious) but like the sound of the diff then it’s available as an option on the standard car, too.

Technical highlights?

Unlike BMW the people of Lexus have kept the faith with atmospheric engines. No turbos here, just 4969cc of pure V8 goodness. This approach nets a mighty 471bhp at 7100rpm and 391lb ft from 4800-5600rpm. Lexus claim 0-62mph in 4.5 seconds and a top speed of 168mph. As with the IS F, the V8 drives through an 8-speed automatic box and a torsen limited-slip differential or that torque-vectoring unit that works by actively pushing power to the wheel with the most grip, not simply braking an inside wheel as most other systems do.

There’s so much more: Four mode VDIM (vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management, which manipulates ABS, VSC and TRC) including an ‘Expert’ mode that only steps in to prevent a spin. You can also opt to switch it off altogether. The torque vectoring diff has a further three modes: Standard, Slalom and Track and the drivetrain can be tailored with Normal, Sport S, Sport S+ and Manual modes… Then there’s the new 6-piston 380mm front brakes, the V8’s ability to switch to the Atkinson cycle for efficiency. The list goes on. And on.

What’s it like to drive?

We tried the car on the fantastic Monticello Motor Club circuit near New York and the roads nearby. The former is a seriously tough environment to launch any new car but with ‘F’ signifying the Fuji Speedway and lots of talk of ‘race ready’ performance the RC F should shine here.

Sadly it doesn’t and its weight is the reason why. The RC F is a chunky 1765kg and it feels every one of those on the circuit. The brakes cope pretty well but are groaning within a handful of really hard laps, the car is slightly clumsy on turn-in and understeer sets in quickly and that engine – which sounds fantastic and promises so much – feels overly burdened. It never feels the full 471bhp and simply doesn’t deliver the instant, bruising torque you’d hope to find. Nor does it sparkle at the top end… It’s all a little underwhelming.

On the road things are much better. The steering is really nicely weighted and fluid and seems well tuned to the car’s reactions as it tackles a series of corners. Grip and traction feel strong, the ride is pretty supple and the gearbox might not be dual-clutch precise but does a pretty effective job. But still it doesn’t really feel fast or alive to your inputs. It’s fun but somehow not very exciting.

Fortunately it’s a lovely place to be with a really cool interior despite a few scratchy plastics in places. The seats are great but set slightly too high and overall it feels pretty special, helped when the V8 gives it the full bellow above 3800rpm. But special enough to overcome its dynamic shortcomings? I don’t think so. On a bumpy, wet road in the UK I suspect it’ll be more fun but I can’t believe it will transform from slightly reluctant to breathlessly exciting… And that’s a disappointment.

How does it compare?

Let’s discount the pretty horrid RS5, which leaves the BMW M4 and the forthcoming C63 AMG with the new 4-litre twin-turbocharged V8. On paper the RC F is right on the money, but it’s simply outclassed by the M4 and we suspect that the next C63 will feel much, much faster with its new torque-rich engine. We had high hopes for the RC F but unless it’s transformed by a bit of UK-spec Super Unleaded and gets some serious chassis tweaks to help disguise its weight then it can only be judged a missed opportunity.

Anything else I need to know?

The optional TVD torque vectoring diff is seriously clever, utilising two electric motors to control the pressure on a corresponding multi-plate clutch. The motors can be adjusted every one-thousandth of a second to ensure the optimum flow of power to each wheel.

#111 ·
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eAhUPk9yRxU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/87cXsEN42us?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#113 ·
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TsqSDkqSUdc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lmacNu3uwik?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#114 ·
Update!

LEXUS RC F: REVIEW
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=30817
Harris attempts to sideline the looming presence of the BMW M4 as he drives the new Lexus RC F

There is no finer theatre in the automotive world than a passionate Japanese engineer attempting to explain the inner working of his latest creation. Kazutoshi Mizuno, father of the modern GT-R, once gave a virtuoso performance to a few gawping hacks on his fast car philosophy, which as far as I could tell went against pretty much every accepted tenet of modern physics. But I left the room a believer.

Japanese engineers are design fundamentalists. They are pure perfectionists, and I love listening to them - Lexus's Yukihiko Yaguchi was no different. His message was less evangelical but saturated with pride at a career which began on the original LS400. His audience was struggling to concentrate as the bizarre acronyms flowed - the small Brit contingent had been delayed on their way into New York. So, as Yaguchi-san began his sermon on the origins of the new Lexus RC F, Steve Sutcliffe was wrestling with his overnight bag on his lap as Jethro Bovingdon and myself seemed to be unable to focus on the ten-foot Plasma screens - and I couldn't be sure Chris Chilton had actually found the meeting room. But that's not unusual. We were shagged, and accordingly had the attention spans of horny goldfish.

To the point
Mercifully, the presentation was short - Japanese tech briefings can last days, which is fine if you're in the mood but brutal if you've been awake for 23 hours.

It struck me as I watched my friends and colleagues pretending to earnestly take notes, just as I was doing, that this whole fanfare was potentially pointless - and through no fault of Lexus. The reason I'd reached that conclusion then began to seem a little disturbing, saddening, even. Because here was Lexus flying us to the US, giving us the wonderful Monticello Circuit to play with, here was Yaguchi-san bearing his heart about the development of the RC F and the typical fastidiousness displayed by a Japanese high-performance brand, and yet all anyone would ever want to know about the car was if it was better than a BMW M4.
That's it. All that passion, all that engineering - titanium intake and exhaust valves, the ability to switch between Otto and Atkinson cycles, and so much besides distilled down into one simple barometer of success. Is it as good as a certain BMW?

Inescapable truth
A sad situation, when you think about it. But, in the modern consumer age, an unavoidable one and one peddled by people like me. I mean, does it really matter if the RC F is better or worse than an M4? So long as it's a great car that people want to own, should the comparison matter?

No doubt my pangs of sympathy were brought about by a quick peek at the spec sheet as we'd walked in to the room. Here's Lexus attempting to elbow its way into the M4's marketplace with a coupe that will not seat four adults in any comfort and that weighs 1,840kg but offers 392lb ft of torque at a high 4,800rpm. Forget peak power outputs and claimed performance times, we all know that if you want to know how punchy something will be on your everyday grind, run some arithmetic on the torque-to-weight ratio, then see where the peak torque arrives. I'll do it for you this time. M4: 405lb ft, 1,850rpm, 1,537kg. RC F: 392lb ft, 4,800rpm, 1,840kg

To channel the great R Burgundy - this new Lexus is badly under-gunned. Which in a class that has quietly become a repository for small German muscle cars, is something of a worry.

All mouth
No matter that for those of you - make that us - who appreciate the styling. Who see the strands of LFA DNA and a shape which is more complicated than anything European in the class. Yes, Lexus appears intent on delivering a vehicle whose entire frontal area is an intake grille, but the rear haunches are spectacular, as is the way a few steps either side of a the square-on rear reveal different shapes and protrusions. The stacked exhausts? Not for me, ta.

The specification is a mixture of the sublime and the baffling - actually, it's almost all appealing but spoiled by the spectre of that kerb weight figure. The powertrain is IS F, plus quite a bit more. Capacity is now 5.0 litres, power is 478hp at 7,100rpm and you already know the torque figure. It runs the same eight-speed automatic gearbox as the old saloon. It's two-wheel drive only with a Torsen diff as standard with the option of a torque vectoring differential.

We trundled from Westchester to Monticello in Normal mode and, having written that, I now need to tell you about the modes. All cars in this class simply have to have 'modes'. I hate them. The RC F has four modes, Normal, Eco, Sport and Sport Plus. Each offers a different variation of throttle response, electronic chassis system intervention and dashboard layout. Eco is actually the most radical, because it's here that the combustion cycle is altered for increased fuel economy. Throttle response is wound right back too.

Chop chop
I hate judging ride comfort and chassis subtleties in the US for a European audience because the conditions are so different - in the States, you tend to either drive on perfectly smooth surfaces, or completely broken ones. And over the latter it won't come as a surprise to learn that the RC F crashes about.

On the smooth stuff it's firm, but controlled. I'd say it was more supple than an RS4, but less so than an M4 in its Comfort damper setting. But I'd want to drive them all in the UK to be certain. The transmission is easy in traffic and slushes neatly between eight ratios. Seven of those are performance related, the eighth is a true overdrive. The steering is notable for its clever weighting and I think if I back-to-backed it with a new M4 on the same road, I might prefer this aspect of the RC F to the BMW. But I haven't, so I can't make that call yet.

I simply love the cabin - in many ways it represents what I want from a fast Lexus, and that is simply a statement of Japanese style that doesn't conform to the German class norm. The centre console rises above thigh height, there are numerous decks and nooks and baffling shapes that meet to create a very, very special feel. The metal surround to the analogue clock is delicious.

But why go to all this effort, then design some special front seats and not allow them to drop low enough? Yep, you sit too high in this car, and that's a big minus-point for me.

Track and field
After a two hours trundling through New York state we arrived at the quite excellent Monticello circuit. This is a private member's track, run just like a golf course and the full lap is so good you just know Herr Tilke had nothing to do with its design.

There was much talk about the RC F's track abilities in Mr Yaguchis's preamble the night before, but it takes just two turns to realise those words were probably unwise. The RC F is a heavy car that struggles to cloak its mass. In terms of direction changes, turn-in and brakes, the new M4 runs rings around it.

The engine is, in isolation, quite joyous - screaming to 7,300rpm with a more sophisticated howl than an AMG. But if ever you wanted proof that the new bi-turbo generation of Germans have moved the game on, try the RC F on a track. Even with a claimed 392lb ft, it seems strangely flat exiting second gear corners, and at no point does the car feel anything like as quick as the BMW. The outgoing C63 507 would disappear in a straight line too. Lexus claims 4.4 to 60mph and a little shy of 170mph, which should be more than enough, but you really have to work to make it feel that quick.

Does motive force matter in this class? Not fractions of seconds, no. But the RC F is a good deal slower than those two, and I suspect the RS4 is a mite quicker too. Most importantly, given the 4,800rpm torque peak, this is a £60,000 hot coupe which could easily be handed some manners by an M235i. And I'm not sure that's the way things should be.

Hope yet
The RC F doesn't leave the game at that though. Yes, it felt too big and heavy on a very challenging track, even with the clever, optional torque vectoring differential working hard, and running sticky Michelin Super Sports, but then it's a street car, so does that really matter?

On the road you have to rev it to make it move, but the reward is sublime noise, a crisp gearshift from the steering wheel paddles (which felt a little cheap to me) and what an Autocar road test in 1977 would have called 'good road manners'. I left it in comfort mode, and found that the best balance of response and, er, comfort.

Look, it's just a very pleasant place to be. It ain't no M4, but then it'll be sold in tiny numbers, is arguably a much more appealing object, and for those who couldn't care less about long powerslides, lap times and beating M235is at the lights, I think it might prove to be a great car. There's also a suspicion that it would reveal further layers of character over time, in the way an M4 might not.

BMW can rest easy
, and Lexus has probably arrived at a 2014 party in 2008 clothes, but the RC F still has something about it. And it's not German, which for some people will be enough on its own.

#115 ·
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HORHW3ulpIY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BBGOm2AIeeU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#118 ·
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tBNWbp6rzKs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
The Lexus RC F Rift virtual reality simulator experience featuring the Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 (DK2) - a view from the driver’s seat.

As part of the launch of the first-ever Lexus RC and RC F, Lexus developed a motion-controlled virtual experience—a first in the automotive industry—and released it as a beta during the 2014 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance in Monterey, CA.

Virtual reality is just one part of the culture of innovation at Lexus that touches everything from design and manufacturing, to racing and the customer experience.

#Lexus
#LexusRC
#LexusRCF
#Performance

#125 ·
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IoKmrSQLnxY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9OZDk3lnsTc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PjOJsIVBJpY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6U_OGXWr688?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#126 ·
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aMdGDI-ezAM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VYttJ6S3yvA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#127 ·
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/i9A3eY8PRtQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8Vn-9eJIDK8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#129 ·
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/f79eSuTVTHU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Take a look behind the scenes as Wes Bentley, star of the RC commercial “Face-Off,” experiences the coupe for the first time.

#Lexus
#LexusRC
#NoGoingBack

#130 ·
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Gn-EnQQI1ig?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Lexus #Instabuilt was a crowd-sourced Instagram activation that resulted in this custom-built RC F for the 2014 SEMA Show. @lexususa followers voted on custom components including colors, aero mods, rims, tires and even steering-wheel design.

Watch this behind-the-scenes video and see how it all came together.

The final build was revealed on November 4, 2014.