NewCelica.org Forum banner

2ZZ-GE into Celica GT swap (1ZZ to 2ZZ swap)

150K views 208 replies 90 participants last post by  blackdemon_tt 
#1 · (Edited)
By request I have started this as an FAQ, parts list, depository for peoples experiences etc. etc. etc.

Anyways basic parts list:

Complete 2ZZ with manifolds, injectors, sensors and engine harness
2ZZ flywheel
2ZZ ECU or 2ZZ Power FC
2ZZ knock sensor appropriate to your ECU choice
C60 tranny (if desired - not necessary)
pass. side engine mount
2ZZ CAI or stock air box and tubes
Throttle cable from cruise control to engine
Combination meter or aftermarket tach
GTS Midpipe (or at least the front flange from one)
2ZZ alternator

if you can think of any info you would like in this thread please post the questions here.

If you have done this or have info to add please feel free to do so

Additional information
* When you order your motor remember that 2003+ GTS engine came DBW
* Matrix / Vibe / Voltz / Corolla XRS intake manifolds are different and will require fabrication of a custom intake tube
* Air INjection started in 04 - if you get a full air injection motor and header you will have to cap the feed pipe or cut off and weld the air injection tube closed
* GTS Knock sensor changed in 2002 to a 2 wire sensor - this sensor is not compatible with the earlier ECUs
* The GTS got a lower rev limiter in 2002 and DBW in 2003+ so make sure to get a 2000 or 2001 ECU
* The 1ZZ clutch will bolt up to the 2ZZ flywheel, but the 1ZZ flywheel can NOT be bolted to the 2ZZ crank.

Links and Resources
2ZZ Manifold identification Guide:
http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=205642

See less See more
#114 ·
sure its possible. If you have a full clip you just pull the engine with the harness and tranny attached, pull the mounts, then bolt them into your car. Then you put in the GTS ECU & gauge cluster and anything else you find that doesn't work. The 2 motors are physically almost identical in terms of mounting except for the pass side engine mount and the throttle cable.

If you can get the rear suspension you can also do the disc brake conversion.

#116 ·
That or jusy use your 5 speed - it bolts right up

#123 ·
Sup guys, i'm currently debating whether or not to do the swap bcuz i've got a hold of a complete 2004 corolla xrs motor and trans. But from what Boosted mentioned in his post about the air injection is it worth the effort to swap the motor and transmission in or just sell it and try to find a earlier 2zz motor? Also my car is automatic if that makes a difference.

#124 ·
hey guys...

i have a importent question.

this week i finished my 2ZZ-GE engine for the swap.
i have a 2000 GTS ECU + knock sensor and my problem or not is the ecu anti-theft. MWR tells me the oem GTS ECU hasn't a anti-theft.

can i get problems with my old GT car-key and the new GTS ECU and the anti-theft? can i start my engine without problems?

i hope anybody can help me:eek::

#125 ·
What would be the hardest part about the swap? (Going from 03gt to 00-02 gts)
I'll be buying a kit from a member of the forum more than likely, and will be doing the swap since the stealership wants 4.7k to put a used 1zz engine in mine after I misshifted. Heard you could re use the 1zz alternator w/ the 2zz swap.
This will be my first time ever doing anything that involves taking the engine completely out and messing with the harnesses. Wish there was a write up.

#128 ·
doubt there will be a response but do i really need to change the gauge face and cluster if i swap a 2zz in

#130 ·
reason i ask is because i got one from ledmod which cost me 150 with the center tach convertion and i dont want to spend that money again lol

#134 ·
Probably cheaper to sell it and get a GTS. You're looking at about 15-20 hours labor, pass side bridge mount, midpipe, ECU and an engine w/ manifolds, TB and harness at a minimum. If you want the trans too add more money accordingly.

Talk to Smaay though - He can handle the swap easily and he's in Lancaster and a lot more affordable than a regular shop.

#148 ·
ok im half way done with the swap, the 2ZZ is in the car. some things i noticed.

1. the heater hose that goes into the side of the head should come from a GT-S, the GT hose is shorter than i would like. the other heater hose with the big dip in it is just fine.

2. the GT passenger motor mount works with the GT-S bracket that bolts to the block. so that is the only 2ZZ part that you need, ill post a picture when i get done. of what it looks like.

3. while the 1ZZ harness seems to work, using a 2ZZ harness will make the swap so much cleaner. things like the injectors run is a little different. If you wanted to go crazy, then you could cut open the harness and reshape the hard cover around the wires.

4. you definitely need the 2ZZ down-pipe that connects to the header. the 1ZZ is too small and the bolt holes don't line up.

well thats all i can think of for now, im going to make this into a new thread with the pictures tomorrow

#149 · (Edited)
1ZZ to 2ZZ Swap important details

1. the heater hose that goes into the side of the head should come from a GT-S, the GT hose is shorter than i would like. the other heater hose with the big dip in it is just fine.

2. the GT passenger motor mount works with the GT-S bracket that bolts to the block. so that is the only 2ZZ part that you need, ill post a picture when i get done. of what it looks like.

3. while the 1ZZ harness seems to work, using a 2ZZ harness will make the swap so much cleaner. things like the injectors run is a little different. If you wanted to go crazy, then you could cut open the harness and reshape the hard cover around the wires.

4. you definitely need the 2ZZ down-pipe that connects to the header. the 1ZZ is too small and the bolt holes don't line up.

Here you can see the crank position sensor and the knock sensor run behind the oil dipstick tube. Don't use the clips on the dipstick to hold the plugs, they are not long enough.

Here you can see the injector harness. Everything fits and lines up but it will be a little tight

This is the GT motor mount bolted up to the 2ZZ engine mount on the passenger side. you will need the black engine mount when you do this swap. The body mount from the GT can still be used here.

Here you see the side of the head and lift actuator. on a GT-S the ECU grounds are bolted to the lift actuator. because the harness isn't quite long enough there is a good spot on the valve cover to put them. is right under the fuel rail line. You can also see the heater hose going into the side of the head. The one in the picture is from a GT-S since i had extra parts. the GT hose is not long enough.

You can also see the Lift OCV and the oil pressure sensor for lift. These are the two plugs you need to order. the part number for them are
90980-11162, 90980-11363 for the plugs and the pigtails are 82998-12440. You need 3 pigtails. The part number for the pigtails that go into the ECU plugs are 82998-12740 and you need 3 of these too. When they come in ill post pics and how to install them

This is the coil part of the harness. Again you can see that it does work but the holes to mount it to the valve cover do not fit. Its not too ugly, but if you open the harness up you can make it look cleaner.

This is the GT SRI. it also works with a long enough coupler to the 2ZZ throttle body.

1. the plugs needed for the lift actuator OVC and oil pressure sensor are, 11162 and 11363. tell those numbers to a parts guy and he should be able to get them. As soon as i get them ill post the actual part numbers and where to plug them into the ECU plugs.

2. the hose to the brake booster is much different between the GT and GT-S. you need to go to autozone or wherever and get about 2 feet of 5/16 hose and run a new line from the booster to the throttle body. Ill take a pic of this too when i get the plugs done.

3. Since i dont have the Lift OCV plugged in its throwing a CEL for 1690 and 1692. That doesnt stop you from driving the car. just keep the RPMs below 6000 and you will be fine.

4. Im using the GT alternator too. no promelms at all

5. You do need the throttle cable from the cruise control to the throttle body from a GT-S also

ok i discovered something new. The car was running a little crappy, at full throttle the engine was doing nothing. and it bogged really bad. well after some digging and experimenting, and thanks to Boosted2.0 also, I discovered that the GT and GT-S TPS (throttle position sensor) are wired backwards. so at idle the ECU saw 90% throttle. so here is what you have to do

remove the TPS plug.

This is looking into the plug

you need something like this to pry out the white pin lock. its not supposed to come all the way out but it makes the job much easier, just pull it out.

What you need to do is swap the red and brown wires. after pulling out the white lock use the pointy tool to lift the tab holding in the wire pin.

This is the GT configuration, you need to swap the red and brown wires.

#150 ·
Having recently done a 2ZZ 6spd MT swap from a GT AT with my friend Many (link), I can confirm first hand all of the points stated by Smaay.

I can also add that we were able to keep the 1ZZ throttle cable (no cruise control) by adjusting the bracket that holds it as it comes across the intake manifold. We were also able to keep the GT AT axles and the 1ZZ serpentine belt (since I kept the 1ZZ alternator).

#152 · (Edited)
Another thing, the gt cluster will work right? It will stop at 8k instead of 9, is that the only difference? What about A/t GT to M/t GTS? What is necessary for that?

#153 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.