NewCelica.org Forum banner

Unknown Car Issues?

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  AndrewMann 
#1 ·
Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong area, I'm new to this website. But I have a 2001 Toyota Celica GT 5-speed that I picked up off of craigslist about half a year ago, and am having a few issues with it. So far in the past week, my car has lost power completely while I was driving it. I was probably going around 60-70mph when all of a sudden my battery, oil, and airbag lights all came on, and I lost all power to my car, leaving me coasting down the road until I pulled over and restarted the car, in which it would run fine again until I reached my home, which coincidentally was only about 3 miles away each time it has happened. It has happened twice to me, both of them very recently, and I don't know what it could be? It has 185,000 miles on it but for the most part my car has been running very well up until now. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on? I really appreciate any help you guys are willing to offer, thank you!

#2 ·
This sounds random, but have you checked your terminal connections to the battery? I had one that was almost completely corroded and it would randomly shut off like that. It took me a while to notice what it was too.

#3 ·
This also happened to me and resulted in similar random power failures.

If you have a lot of corrosion, be careful trying to loosen the terminal connection as the screw can get weak. Mine broke, leaving the terminal permanently stuck to the battery. Had to get a new battery and terminal.

#5 ·
Thank you all so much, I really appreciate your help. I will definitely do a thorough check for corrosion tomorrow and then get back to you guys. Hopefully that's the only problem and there isn't any extreme engine problems. Thanks again you guys, wish me luck!

#6 ·
IF its only eletrical problem ,

the alternator is dying

if you have a bad ground but the battery is OK , you should see the battery light on in the dashboard while your driving

for the corrosion the terminals just pop the hood and see it if its bad , use W40 on the terminal, loose the terminal then use a flat head screwdriver and insert it where it tights whith 10 screw and give it budge then put the screw driver under the terminal and lift it it should come right of and no damage done any where .

but i supect a Bad alternator regulator

have the alternator checked or check it yourself

#9 ·
Ok I will, and I have also noticed that for the past month or so my car has been idling very low, mainly when I throw the car into nuetral and then brake after going at high speeds. The gauge has been going into the 500-600 range and its scary to look at, do you have any idea what that may be? Is this possibly related to the other issues we have been discussing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.