Install Guides Parts Catalog Gallery Track Times Dyno Database Tech Info Gear

Go Back   NewCelica.org Forum > Celica Discussion > Repair & Maintenance
Favorites Trader Ratings Register Blogs Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Repair & Maintenance Troubleshoot Your Problems Here.

Support NCO
Google

Old 08-26-2006, 11:43 AM   #1
MyCelicaYouNV

Send a message via AIM to MyCelicaYouNV
Clutch Adjustment ?

My brother just found out he can adjust his sock mustang clutch or clutch pedal to engage the clutch higher on the pedal then lower toward the floor.

My celicas clutch must be getting worn out or something because i have to push the pedal ALL the way to the floor to engage the clutch, sometimes i even catch myself halding the clutch at a redlight for a minute and if i let off about 2 inchs, or an inch, the clutch starts to engage, i think this is way too low because i have to slam the clutch to the floor to hold it down, even pushing against the carpet.

Is there anyway to adjust it so the clutch engages higher on the pedal?

-Steve-
[2000 Celica GTS 6 speed]
[Apexi' Power FC]
[Greddy Supercharged]
[230whp][160wtq]
MyCelicaYouNV is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:49 PM   #2
Glycerin256

well, my clutch did the same thing. my car is currently in the shop for having the tranny rebuilt (00 gts 6spd). i had a rps street clutch on there that was working the same way. my clutch engaged the same way that you just described. they ended up replacing that clutch with an OEM clutch and rebuilding it yet again. theyve had my car for 3 1/2 weeks now, but thats a whole nother story....

how to fix it? you might just need to bleed your lines. how to do that thought is beyond me...

glyc
Glycerin256 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Google
Support the Forums
Old 08-26-2006, 12:55 PM   #3
MyCelicaYouNV

hey man thanks for the reply, i should prolly look into bleeding the clutch lines, thank you for the tip, i did it on my saturn once when the tranny got rebuilt.

anyway hope you get your tranny back geez.

-Steve-
[Apexi' Power FC]
[Greddy Supercharged]
[230whp][160wtq]
Old 08-26-2006, 01:02 PM   #4
Smaay

your clutch is exactly the way i like it.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:06 PM   #5
MyCelicaYouNV

whys that homie? i hate having to throw the clutch ALL the way to the floor to switch gears, the upside is...i dont have to let off so much to get it to engage...it doesnt bother me too much really.

Only when im at a red light, and i start letting go a little, it could be 2 more inches higher then where it is and it would be nice, but its not a big deal, just wondering if it was adjustable like my brothers mustang.

I kind of like it but it could be better.

-Steve-
[Apexi' Power FC]
[Greddy Supercharged]
[230whp][160wtq]
Old 08-26-2006, 01:25 PM   #6
001s2000

my clutch pedal is mooshy....but still grips and holds strong.....I also have to push the pedal to the floor and it engages about 1 inch or so up off the floor.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:11 PM   #7
SLVR Stealth

What is the standard height before the clutch engages? On a GT and GT-S? Mine is at around 2 inches can the tension on the pedal as well? Just curious. That's crazy having your clutch engage on the floor.
SLVR Stealth is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:22 PM   #8
Celicasaur
Bring on the 12's...

on the original clutch from birth on my car, it was nice and low from the ground and felt like it pushed back more, but since having it changed the biting point is much higher, near the top and frankly i dont like it. its only good for racing this high. otherwise i prefer the wider area, smoother engagement near the carpet.
Goals for 2014:
12's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaay View Post
and you are in Kaliforniastan. your only tuning option is a stand alone and you will never pass SMOG with it
Celicasaur is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:38 PM   #9
2way
Electromagnetic Wave :-h

Spec is for approx. 1" off the floor for the beginning of engagement. Their engagement test involves using reverse... & I have found on mine that the reverse engagement point seems lower to the floor than the forward gears. In any event, the clutch pushrod @ the top of the clutch pedal that goes thru the firewall has a certain amount of adjustment range. Loosen the locknut on the pushrod @ the clutch pedal & rotate the pushrod by hand. You can rough guess by the pedal "freeplay" @ the top.. where the stopper/clutch switch(for those w/cruise) for the pedal is... push the pedal by hand till you begin to feel resistance & eyeball or measure the pedal gap... then adjust the pushrod... less gap @ the top... means it will engage further off the floor... more gap @ the top... & it will engage closer to the floor.... then retest the gap. As I recall... the factory position is darn near the middle of the pushrod adjustment range.

If you go too large a gap... you might not be disengaging completely & will have trouble shifting. With an aftermarket clutch.. you could very well need an extended slave pushrod.. available from SpeedSource.

PCIA Certified Mobile Communications Technician
2way is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:17 PM   #10
SLVR Stealth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2way
Spec is for approx. 1" off the floor for the beginning of engagement. Their engagement test involves using reverse... & I have found on mine that the reverse engagement point seems lower to the floor than the forward gears. In any event, the clutch pushrod @ the top of the clutch pedal that goes thru the firewall has a certain amount of adjustment range. Loosen the locknut on the pushrod @ the clutch pedal & rotate the pushrod by hand. You can rough guess by the pedal "freeplay" @ the top.. where the stopper/clutch switch(for those w/cruise) for the pedal is... push the pedal by hand till you begin to feel resistance & eyeball or measure the pedal gap... then adjust the pushrod... less gap @ the top... means it will engage further off the floor... more gap @ the top... & it will engage closer to the floor.... then retest the gap. As I recall... the factory position is darn near the middle of the pushrod adjustment range.

If you go too large a gap... you might not be disengaging completely & will have trouble shifting. With an aftermarket clutch.. you could very well need an extended slave pushrod.. available from SpeedSource.
Thank you what a very informative answer. Atleast someone knows what they're talking about.
SLVR Stealth is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 04:47 AM   #11
2way
Electromagnetic Wave :-h

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR Stealth
Atleast someone knows what they're talking about.
YW. I don't always I am only one ... there are quite a number of knowledegable folks on here, many of whom know a heck of alot more than I.
2way is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote