Install Guides Parts Catalog Gallery Track Times Dyno Database Tech Info Gear

Go Back   NewCelica.org Forum > Celica Discussion > Repair & Maintenance
Favorites Trader Ratings Register Blogs Classifieds Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Repair & Maintenance Troubleshoot Your Problems Here.

Support NCO
Google

Old 10-26-2006, 05:29 PM   #1
burton12

Replaceing my Engine need some help/advice...

Hey guys,

I curently own a 2001 celica gt and will be removeing my engine and replceing it with a newer low KMs 05 1zz Matrix engine.

Just looking for some info/tips/techniques from people who have pulled and replaced there engine, for example tools that I will need any other parts things that may make it somewhat easyer, problems that I might run in to and so on...

I have a shop that I can use for 2 days max! so I need to make shure I have all the required things to get it done in one shot

also do I need to pull the tranny with it cuz all I'm replaceing is the engine it self, will I have to do any mods to the new engine to get it to work/ fit properly, I already have the new axle mount bracket holes drilled and tapped the company I got the engine from did that for me... ummm

I also have a friend of mine helping me hes a heavy duty mechanic, and I'm somewhat mechanicly inclined... I think

what fluids will I need?

ohhh and will any of the sensors be different? or can I use all the ones from my old engine?

Thanks

mark

Last edited by burton12; 10-26-2006 at 05:36 PM..
burton12 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:36 PM   #2
timm3r

read the repair manual in the tech info section. If you've never done this before, good luck trying to get this out in two days. you most likely will be there all day long both days and even then i doubt you will get it out. the only thing you need is just a basic 8mm-16mm ratchet set and wrench set, you will also need extensions which will also be very useful, a two feet ratchet extension to get the rear mount out, and you will need a torque wrench when you are putting parts back together such as flywheel, clutch, intake manifold, etc.
timm3r is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Google
Support the Forums
Old 10-26-2006, 05:42 PM   #3
burton12

Thanks for the info! can anyone go into more depth/detail? and I do have the manual
Old 10-26-2006, 05:54 PM   #4
timm3r

the manual has a great write up already. the only part of the manual instructions you can skip is taking out the fuse box. just unplug the whole harness and you're ok.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:10 PM   #5
burton12

have you pulled and replaced your engine? how hard is it?
Old 10-26-2006, 11:28 PM   #6
burton12

no one has any in depth info on this?? i could really use some help
Old 10-27-2006, 05:37 AM   #7
GSBoek
Daddy Daycare

I have done this 3 times and it's a lot of fun. I can now laugh but the first time was a pain. I it was a lot more fun the last time cuz I put the engine back in piece by piece and it was a cynch getting the block in and then putting the rest on.

But since you are pulling the whole engine and installing another one it's more like what I did the first time. Besides the engine hoist you'll need a floor jack to support the engine temporarily. You don't need to pull the tranny to get it out, but you'll need a tranny jack to assist in getting the new engine in.

Here are just the basics:
1. Remove battery (Negative first) and unplug harness from engine.
2. Remove all accesories from the engine (ALT, PS, AC). Space is tight so you want as much as you can get.
3. Remove intake manifold and starter, hoses and other stuff that can't go with the engine.
4. Exhaust header can stay, but unbolt the rest, inlcuding bracket.
5. Unbolt passenger side drive axle from block
6. Support engine and remove pasenger side mount completely.
7. Support tranny and LOSEN the three mounts to give tranny some play.
8. Get hoist in place, attach engine and unbolt engine from tranny. You'll probably have to shake things around a bit. Go slow, you'll have to tilt engine as you go up, otherwise it will get stuck at the passenger side frame rail.

Reverse order obviously to get engine in. Would be good to tilt tranny up a bit to help accept engine.

These are just the basics, so don't hold me liable if there are things I overlooked hehehe. Good luck. If you are experienced it can be done in a day.

202 CREW .................................................. No. 1
GSBoek is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:52 AM   #8
timm3r

just look at the instructions in the repair manual. i forgot the exact pages but i'll give it to you when im home on my computer.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:36 AM   #9
burton12

yah I have the manual and I have been looking at it, any others with some info/advice for me?
Old 10-28-2006, 01:55 PM   #10
Archer2KGTS

Send a message via MSN to Archer2KGTS Send a message via Yahoo to Archer2KGTS
Nope... Read the BGB, take your time, do everything right the first time, don't take shortcuts, and be prepared for setbacks here and there.
Archer2KGTS is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:02 PM   #11
WHITECELICAGTS

Send a message via AIM to WHITECELICAGTS
Ive done this before and im curently rebuilding everything. Just take your time and go by what the repair manual says, especially since you have never done this before. ive been able to remove my engine with transmission and exhaust manifold attached. Remove the front bumber, radiator and all the accessories in the front of the engine bay. You dont want to try this with all that stff intact. Otherwise you will be replacing stuff because of things getting smashed. If you have any problems PM and ill give you my number if you need any assistance with anything. Good luck! the first time will take a while but after that it only takes a few hours. it will teach you a lot about your car doing it yourself

Xbox Live gamertag = KevinSeiple
WHITECELICAGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:57 PM   #12
Smaay

buy the BGB (big green book) from toyota. it has step by step pictures. also, im not sure if the matrix has the support for the passenger axle like the celica does. we ran into this when we tried to install a Carolla engine. the support bracket wasnt there and we had to drill and tap the holes ourselves
Old 10-29-2006, 05:05 PM   #13
burton12

ya I already have that done smaay the company I got the engine from was aware of the support bracket and drilled n tapped the holes for me.

thanks though

I have printed off the the engine removal guide from the repair manual this should be good for me? or should I have any other sections on hand from the manual also?

Thanks for the help guys!