Install Guides Parts Catalog Gallery Track Times Dyno Database Tech Info Gear

Go Back   NewCelica.org Forum > Other Vehicles > All Other Models
Favorites Trader Ratings Register Blogs Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

All Other Models Life changes and so does your car.

Support NCO
Google

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
Motor
I AM GROOT™

20__ Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution XI

Next-Gen Mitsubishi Evo to go Hybrid
Quote:
Wanting to make the company's most prized car more environmentally friendly, Mitsubishi executive Testuro Aikawa was heard to say that his R&D team were testing an Evo prototype fitted with the PX MiEV's hybrid system, and that "we could well see that system in the Evo within the next couple of years."
Plug-in tech for Lancer Evo XI
Quote:
The next-generation Mitsubishi Lancer Evo could use a plug-in hybrid system that is being shown at the Tokyo motor show, sources have told Autocar.

The plug-in technology is being showcased on the Mitsubishi PX-MiEV concept, and if applied to the Evo XI would dramatically alter its make-up.

With the PX-MiEV, front and rear wheels are powered by two 81bhp permanent magnet synchronous motors. There’s also a 1.6-litre MIVEC petrol engine which not only drives the front wheels but also serves as a generator.

However, the system is configured around Mitsubishi’s Evo-style S-AWC handling control system, and automatically switches between different drive modes depending on driving style and remaining power in the lithium ion battery pack.

It’s a highly sophisticated switchable system that borrows i-MiEV electric car tech for the back wheels but uses a new parallel-type hybrid system for the fronts. It also delivers over 140mpg economy, Mitsubishi says.

Mitsubishi hopes to have it on the market by 2013, but company insiders say the technology could be directed at the new Evo.

At present, development work on the next Evo has effectively stalled, according to a source familiar with the programme, which explains why there has been no serious tweaking of the Evo X in Japan since its launch in 2007.

Mitsubishi PX-MiEV concept
Scoop! Mitsubishi Evo XI Goes Hybrid!
Quote:
Mitsubishi's Performance Icon Goes Green. Sort Of.

You may have heard rumors the next generation Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution will be an electric car. Well, they're true. But before you start writing angry rants in the comments box, read on. According to one source inside Mitsubishi, the Evolution XI, due in 2013, will be the best Evo yet.

The new Evo's 2.0 litre MIVEC petrol engine, borrowed from the current Japan-spec Galant, will be mated to a new plug-in hybrid system with lithium-ion batteries. But here's the twist: the Evo's main power source will not be the gas engine, but an electric motor that will drive the front wheels. The 2.0 litre engine, when needed, will drive the rear wheels.

The Evo XI will give drivers the option of driving in EV mode, though only for short distances, improving fuel efficiency and CO2 emissions. But it won't be a namby-pamby eco-warrior. According to our source, the electric motor will be an upgraded version of the 63 hp permanent magnet synchronous motor used in the i-MiEV, and the 2.0 litre MIVEC gas engine is expected to generate around 320 hp. Depending on how Mitsubishi manages the power flow between the two, the Evo XI could effectively have up to 350 hp on tap. The current Evo makes do with a mere 291 hp.

Our sketches give one artist's impression of how the new Evo XI might look. Whatever the final design, this much is clear: Mitsubishi is determined to totally re-invent one of the world's great performance cars.

Let the rumors and speculation begin.

Last edited by Motor; 07-25-2013 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: dead image
Motor is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
jlitman

As I've always said, shed the two rear doors and I will care.
Support the Forums
Old 01-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
Colours

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlitman View Post
Agreed

00 GTS Turbo
Colours is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
Dasher17
Boobze

Quote:
I think those cost enough as it is to insure. Maybe the X was different but I remember anything up to and including the IX were one of the most expensive cars to insure, make it two doors and it only gets worse.

I like this though because if I should ever need a practical "family" car, I don't want to be stuck in a god damned SUV or a 4 door SI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmesofarmdgdn View Post
I'm stopped at a light looking around minding my own business thinking about that one fine chick who always passes by but I have yet to come up with a pick up line for...(I was thinking of just saying I drive a Celica

Dasher17 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
jlitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher17 View Post
I think those cost enough as it is to insure. Maybe the X was different but I remember anything up to and including the IX were one of the most expensive cars to insure, make it two doors and it only gets worse.

I like this though because if I should ever need a practical "family" car, I don't want to be stuck in a god damned SUV or a 4 door SI.
An Evo is not a practical car unless you are a rally racer. As for the family, open door, slide front seat forward, toss brat in back, slide seat to original position, done
Old 01-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
Carbonized_GT

Gay.

"Who needs fame, and who needs fortune?
Cause I've got guts, and I've got glory.
We took a shot in the dark, and we might have failed.
This is our one chance."
Carbonized_GT is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
terrj
Impossibru !

The concept doesn't look half bad but like JLITMAN said Forget the 2 rear doors !
If I didn't have a gun on me, I would have beat the **** out of them and then raped one of the kids in front of the others , just to prove a point, to be King Gorilla, to assert dominance and teach them a lesson.
terrj is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
Costco
Banned

Quote:
4 doors for more whores.

Coupes are cool, but sometimes a sedan is just cooler.
Costco is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:42 AM   #9
GSBoek
Daddy Daycare

Eclipse and Lancer rolled into one.

202 CREW ................................................. No. 1
GSBoek is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:03 AM   #10
legende

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBoek View Post
how do you figure?
and 4 doors isn't so bad. why hate if you can have a fast awd 4 door car when you finally become a family man?
the 2 door for weekends will always be there.
legende is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:27 AM   #11
GSBoek
Daddy Daycare

Quote:
Originally Posted by legende View Post
how do you figure?
I don't, I was just referring to the styling on the red rendering, but now that you mention it from that perspective it might not be a bad idea.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:12 PM   #12
Motor
I AM GROOT™

Update!

Next Evo goes diesel hybrid
Quote:
Mitsubishi is planning a radical overhaul of its Lancer Evolution by changing the next incarnation into a diesel hybrid. The switch of drivetrain is designed to save the Evo from tightening economy and emissions regs while preserving its trademark mid-range shove.

Mitsubishi is said to have given serious consideration to axing the Evo model altogether. As recently as a month ago, sources in Japan said an earlier project — to switch the car to a petrol hybrid powertrain and base it on the PX-MiEV SUV concept’s platform — was dead.

But now the firm’s R&D department has been given approval to push the car in a different direction: a diesel hybrid.

Engineers hope that the mix of clean-diesel torque and electric motor assistance will allow the Evo XI to deliver a 0-62mph time of under five seconds, yet cut CO2 emissions to well under 200g/km.

Handling will be entrusted to a revised version of the Evo’s highly rated four-wheel drive system, S-AWC, which integrates steering, braking and traction control.

The switch marks a big gamble for Mitsubishi. Diesel hybrid will, in effect, rule the Evo out of competition use and could limit its appeal in key markets such as the US and Japan, where diesels have yet to gain widespread acceptance.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #13
Bitter

they used to make a 2 door Evo, it was called an Eclipse GSX.
Originally Posted by JCMiller View Post
I'm gay
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98
no, don't even waste your time. if you want a honest sticker, at least get one that says "objects in mirror aren't really racing, so quit trying"...
Bitter is online now   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #14
EuGeNiLe GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
they used to make a 2 door Evo, it was called an Eclipse GSX.
and the plymouth laser? and the eagle talon..

but not 2 door EVOs, apples and oranges.

good thing we were able to scare people who shouldnt own them, by that story of crankwalk
EuGeNiLe GTS is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #15
2KGTS

Mine's always looked great with the baby seat in the back - especially at autocross!

2000 Liquid Silver GT-S: 187fwhp@218,000 miles -- DDPR | Cobb | Apexi | Magnaflow / BC Racing | Hotchkiss | TRD

Quote:
It's like sex with your cute but chubby cousin that one time when you had both had too much wine at Christmas dinner. You know it's wrong, you're not stopping, and you really regret it the next morning. That is poutine, Canada does this 24x7x365. Canada are a bunch of sick bi-lingual metric cousin f*ckers.
2KGTS is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:00 PM   #16
Dasher17
Boobze

I would hardly call a GSX an evo equivalent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmesofarmdgdn View Post
I'm stopped at a light looking around minding my own business thinking about that one fine chick who always passes by but I have yet to come up with a pick up line for...(I was thinking of just saying I drive a Celica

Dasher17 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:33 PM   #17
Motor
I AM GROOT™

Update!

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution XI
Quote:
If there is to be another Evolution, it will probably have some sort of hybrid option, which is an infinitely better scenario than having no Evolution at all.

With the launch of the Outlander Sport compact crossover as well as the electric i-MiEV, it seems Mitsubishi Motors is intent on adopting a green image. Word from Japan is that the company is slowly scrapping its sporty-car program in favor of more economical products.

The company’s in-house tuner, Ralliart, has been all but shut down, while plans for the next-generation Lancer Evolution have allegedly been put on hold. However, an inside source tells us that death reports of the next-generation Evo are premature. He informed us that there are still a few people within Mitsubishi who don’t want to see the company’s image car go away, and that development is underway on a plug-in hybrid version of the high-performance sports sedan.

“This way, it will conform to the company’s overall strategic plan of building fuel-efficient cars,” he says. “Yet it will have all the performance that the current Lancer Evo possesses.”

Although nothing is set in stone, it seems that at this point if there is to be another Evo, it will probably have some sort of hybrid option, which is an infinitely better scenario than having no Evo at all. And from what we’ve been told, the new car won’t be a slouch at the test track, either.
Photo-Illustration by Best Car

Last edited by Motor; 07-25-2013 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: dead image
Old 07-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #18
jlitman

Please.

Make.

A Coupe.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #19
Motor
I AM GROOT™

2012 Mitsubishi Lancer

2012 Mitsubishi Lancer
Quote:
The new Evolution may be powered by a turbodiesel. Really.

The beloved, overachieving current-generation Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X—the epitome of a rally car for the street, capable of conquering many so-called “sports cars” that cost far more—may be going the way of the dodo bird. Rumor has it that Mitsubishi will retire the legendary model for greener pastures after the Evo X’s production run ends. And our sources report that “green” is indeed the new policy for Mitsu*bishi these days. We hear that the company, conforming to the laws of automotive natural selection that favor a more environmentally friendly species of transport, is working on a new 300-plus-bhp sports sedan that will come wrapped in a more attractive upscale package, with either a turbocharged diesel engine or diesel hybrid under the hood. The car will be slightly larger than today’s Evo and get as much as 35 mpg combined. Greener for sure, and all this with the added benefit of having more torque on tap, due to the stout grunt today’s clean diesels deliver with their improved throttle response.

Likely to be built in China or Thailand—marking a significant change, as all Evos to date have been built in Japan—the replacement car is yet to be named, but should come out sometime in 2012. Our sources also tell us it will be less of a hard-core sports car/sedan and more of a supremely versatile, high-performance GT; one that might approach the ideal of an Audi S4 or BMW 335i, with prices in the $30,000 range. All-wheel drive, with perhaps a 4-wheel steering option, will continue to make this new Mitsubishi as capable in rain and snow as it is on the track, while a possible roll-stabilizing suspension system should improve the passengers’ in-cabin experience, as well as making the chassis more responsive to the driver.

Last edited by Motor; 07-25-2013 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: dead image
Old 01-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #20
KAT_Ayanami

****.... they are planning on making it EVEN BIGGER???

8th Gen Celica Test Driver
KAT_Ayanami is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #21
marc
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!

hybrid?

hasn't Honda shown TWICE that "performance hybrids" are miserable failures (Accord Hybrid, CR-Z).

People who want performance cars don't care about hybrid bull****.
People who want hybrid bull**** don't care about performance.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #22
KAT_Ayanami

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
hybrid?

hasn't Honda shown TWICE that "performance hybrids" are miserable failures (Accord Hybrid, CR-Z).

Good points! Although I still think that the CR-Z is a great sporty commuter.

It would be for example a good replacement for a SI or a Celica if you decide that you need to put more miles than normal.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #23
Blue Bomber
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku

Send a message via AIM to Blue Bomber
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT_Ayanami View Post
Good points! Although I still think that the CR-Z is a great sporty commuter.

It would be for example a good replacement for a SI or a Celica if you decide that you need to put more miles than normal.
It was one of the worst handling cars of last year. In the same league as minivans. Celica/SI replacement it is not.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #24
Motor
I AM GROOT™

Update!

Mitsubishi confirms Evolution successor
Quote:
Mitsubishi has confirmed there will be a replacement to the Evo X – but it will not be “advancing the concept in the same way as before”.

Mitsubishi’s global product director, Gayu Eusegi, revealed to Autocar at the recent Geneva show that although there was still a demand for the Evo, “we must stop” as there had been a “policy change” towards EV technology.

Eusegi’s comments attracted much negative publicity and internet campaigns to try and save the rally-bred sports saloon, and Mitsubishi’s president and CEO, Osamu Masuko, has now further clarified the future of the Evo.

“Production of the current Lancer Evolution X continues as planned,” he said. “As for its successor, regulations and market feedback will dictate its engineering package and architecture.

“MMC [Mitsubishi Motor Company] has kept the Lancer Evolution sedan evolving as the brand's highest performing model in the global market.

“However, as the markets need's and demands change, MMC is considering not advancing the Lancer Evolution concept in the same way as before, but to find a different direction for the Lancer Evolution model to evolve.

“The new direction, the technologies involved, and corresponding products will be disclosed in due course.”

Autocar understands that the next Evo will switch to a diesel-electric hybrid powertrain, designed to save the car from tightening economy and emissions regs, while preserving its trademark mid-range shove.

Engineers hope that the mix of clean-diesel torque and electric motor assistance will allow the Evo XI to deliver a 0-62mph time of under five seconds, yet cut CO2 emissions to well under 200g/km.

Handling will be entrusted to a revised version of the Evo’s highly rated four-wheel drive system, S-AWC, which integrates steering, braking and traction control.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:27 PM   #25
ateens4
fools runnin a Honda 2000

Quote:
why?
ateens4 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:43 PM   #26
HardtopGTS
Theoretical Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
hybrid?
Porsche 918?
HardtopGTS is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:47 AM   #27
KAT_Ayanami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bomber View Post
It was one of the worst handling cars of last year. In the same league as minivans. Celica/SI replacement it is not.
I forgot to ask about this.

Where did you read that? I looked for it and didn't find any reviews that complaints about handling.

I know they were not looking for that when reviewing the car, but even though.

Going back on topic.

Mitsubishi should make the Evo smaller and easier to live with. PERIOD.

Shorten the length of the car and wheelbase by a couple of inches, and lower the roof line another 2" or 3" (not car clearance or height) and you would be saving a few pounds that are not needed on that car as well as improving handling.

Then, remove all the crap from the trunk (battery and fluids). It does not really make that much of a difference. And sell the relocation of such items as an option.

Subaru is selling STis pretty decently. And most of those people dropped the Evo option due to these issues mentioned before.

The car looks great! But it is NOT a DD by any means.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #28
Motor
I AM GROOT™

Update!

New Hybrid Mitsubishi EVO
Quote:
Meaner and greener. Here’s hoping for the former.

BestCar, our Japanese print friends with sources deep within Mitsubishi, informs us that Osamu Masuko, president of Mitsubishi Motors Corporation, is so against participating in motorsports that no one dares mention the word around him. However, despite news regarding the discontinuation of the Evo (a statement that originated from a different Mitsubishi official), Masuko was heard stating that Mitsubishi is fully intent on producing a high-performance car in the future, albeit green. Based on that fact and other internal rumblings, BestCar asserts that in all likelihood Mitsubishi will produce a new Evo.

While we initially reported the next-generation Evo might be either a diesel or hybrid, the latest information has Mitsubishi leaning toward the latter, borrowing technology from the PX-MiEV concept shown at the 2009 Tokyo Motor Show. The PX-MiEV touts a plug-in hybrid system that relies on electric motors at low to middle speeds. Operating as a series hybrid, when the lithium-ion batteries run low, the 1.6- liter gasoline engine turns on and powers a generator that in turn provides charge to the electric motors. For higher vehicle speeds, the PX-MiEV’s hybrid system switches to a parallel hybrid system with the 1.6-liter engine providing additional combustion power to the wheels.

For the drivetrain, the PX-MiEV utilizes Mitsubishi’s S-AWC all-wheel-drive system and active yaw control, technologies both employed on the current Evo. Short of a turbocharger, the PX-MiEV’s powertrain is a striking vision of what a hybrid Evo could be. One can always hope.

Last edited by Motor; 07-25-2013 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: dead image
Old 06-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #29
Skooter
Pixel Pusher

Send a message via MSN to Skooter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor View Post
Osamu Masuko, president of Mitsubishi Motors Corporation, is so against participating in motorsports that no one dares mention the word around him.
lol wtf seriously?
Who the fvck put him in charge of Mitsubishi? Send his ass off to manage Kia or Hyundai...

Looking to buy OEM struts and Tein S-Techs. PM me if you're willing to sell.
Skooter is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:22 PM   #30
lVlemphizStylez
Banned

Send a message via AIM to lVlemphizStylez Send a message via MSN to lVlemphizStylez Send a message via Yahoo to lVlemphizStylez
sh!t it's a Civic with a Mitsubishi badge...
lVlemphizStylez is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #31
Nlkko

Fvcking hippies and their hybrid BS.
Nlkko is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:59 PM   #32
GSBoek
Daddy Daycare

Quote:
Originally Posted by lVlemphizStylez View Post
it's a Civic with a Mitsubishi badge...
What I thought too.

Last edited by Motor; 07-25-2013 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: dead image
Old 06-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #33
creekboi7

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costco View Post
4 doors for more whores.

Coupes are cool, but sometimes a sedan is just cooler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBoek View Post
i thought the same.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #34
Motor
I AM GROOT™

Update!

Hybrid Evolution gets green light
Quote:
The next Mitsubishi Evo will be powered by a hybrid powertrain and will go on sale within three years, company president Osamu Masuko has confirmed to Autocar. Although Masuko did not reveal the full technical details, it is understood that the Evo XI will switch to a diesel-electric hybrid powertrain, saving it from tightening emissions regulations while preserving its trademark mid-range shove.

“We will start work on the project next year, and it will be ready within three,” said Masuko. “I have set the goal of developing a sporting car featuring electric power.”

The Evo XI will feature a revised version of the S-AWC four-wheel drive system, which integrates braking, steering and traction control.

The future of the Evo has been the subject of much debate this year. Senior management initially claimed it would be axed in favour of investing in electric vehicles, but it reversed this decision following a backlash from fans.

Masuko is believed to have made the decision after being persuaded that a halo model such as the Evo could have a positive effect on the entire Mitsubishi range, which is set to become increasingly environmentally focused.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:05 PM   #35
DANZZT231

Interesting.
DANZZT231 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #36
Motor
I AM GROOT™

Update!

Next Mitsubishi Evo will be a hybrid
Quote:
-New hybrid Evo within three years
-Diesel-electric powertrain likely
-New four-wheel-drive system, too

Mitsubishi will launch a new Evo performance saloon with a hybrid powertrain within three years.

A plug-in diesel-electric hybrid system is currently the favoured option for the Evo. However, the company says it could yet make a plug-in petrol-electric car, because of doubts that diesel will be accepted by enthusiasts in countries such as Japan and the US.

Like the current car, the next Evo will be a halo model for the brand and an engineering showcase.
It's going to have something in common with the Prius.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:46 AM   #37
SilverBullet GTS

Send a message via AIM to SilverBullet GTS
Praying this is a marketing ploy to sell X's.
SilverBullet GTS is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:27 AM   #38
ajh1717
Can't touch this.

I'm so sick of "hybrid" performance cars.

ajh1717 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #39
HardtopGTS
Theoretical Gear Head

Cool idea. Can't wait till all electric.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #40
ajh1717
Can't touch this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardtopGTS View Post
Cool idea. Can't wait till all electric.
wut.

why?

Old 12-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #41
jlitman

Peak torque at 1 RPM.

If they ever get the charging issue sorted, electric cars will be way faster than any combustion powered jalopy.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #42
ajh1717
Can't touch this.

Quote:
Peak torque at 1 RPM.

If they ever get the charging issue sorted, electric cars will be way faster than any combustion powered jalopy.
True.

However, we don't have the technology yet to make a fully electric car efficient. Charge time, and battery size/amount are what kill this.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #43
The__J__Factor

1 electric engine on each corner = ultimate awd system.
Individual torque and wheels speeds per corner would be a machine.

But yeah sucks it will probably be even bigger, heavier and less raw.

MR-S (Manual) - Cusco Coilovers - More to come...
Evo X MR - 206kws 12.8sec Sold - Z4 M Coupe Sold - Rotrex Celica Sold
The__J__Factor is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #44
Motor
I AM GROOT™

Update!

Next Mitsubishi EVO to be 500bhp hybrid
Quote:
Lancer Evolution to get hybrid power and will rival the Nissan GT-R

Mitsubishi’s long-awaited 21st century replacement for the Lancer Evolution is inching closer to reality.

But if it happens, Autocar can reveal, it won’t be an Evo as we know it but, in all likelihood, a 500bhp plug-in hybrid rival to the Nissan GT-R.

With the new-generation Lancer hatchback being readied for global launch next year and a plug-in hybrid version of that car already in the product plan, highly placed Mitsubishi executives are discussing options for a petrol-electric performance car. The model would inherit technology directly from the company’s MiEV Evolution II Pikes Peak prototype racer and take the Evo into a new performance dimension.

It’s still early days for the car, whose viability depends on market acceptance of Mitsubishi’s new plug-in hybrid PHEV technology. But with the company’s all-electric prototype demonstrating the sporting potential of a fully asymmetric electric powertrain for performance and handling at the Pikes Peak event, there is renewed interest in transferring that performance to the road.

The potential is for a high-end, technologically sophisticated sporting option with greater all-wheel drive performance than any Lancer Evo has had before, combined with low emissions and the option of all-electric running.

If it is built, the new Evo, whose styling is likely to be influenced by the Concept-RA shown at Detroit in 2008, will follow a less performance-orientated Lancer PHEV in the mould of the existing Outlander PHEV, itself due in the UK later this year. Like the hybrid Outlander, the Lancer PHEV is expected to combine a 2.0-litre petrol engine with two 80bhp electric motors. It should be capable of at least 150mpg and 50g/km on the European combined economy and CO2 emissions test and have an all-electric range approaching 40 miles.

If the market takes to that car, it leaves the door open for the new Evo, and the early signs are that the Lancer PHEV could be a success. The Outlander PHEV has only been launched in Japan and the Netherlands, but Mitsubishi has already received more orders for it than expected — a situation that has slowed the car’s market rollout elsewhere.

But it’s far from a certainty. As Mitsubishi Motors North America executive vice-president of electric vehicle operations Masatoshi Hasegawa explained, there are still obstacles surrounding charging infrastructure to be negotiated before Mitsubishi’s PHEV cars can reach their full global sales potential.

"In North America particularly, agreement is slow to come on fast charging hardware," said Hasegawa. The USA’s domestic car makers are backing new fast charging hardware defined by the Society of Automotive Engineers, while Nissan and ourselves have been using the Chademo standard. There needs to be agreement before everyone can benefit from the investment in infrastructure.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #45
2KGTS

A $45,000 Evo...

2000 Liquid Silver GT-S: 187fwhp@218,000 miles -- DDPR | Cobb | Apexi | Magnaflow / BC Racing | Hotchkiss | TRD

Quote:
It's like sex with your cute but chubby cousin that one time when you had both had too much wine at Christmas dinner. You know it's wrong, you're not stopping, and you really regret it the next morning. That is poutine, Canada does this 24x7x365. Canada are a bunch of sick bi-lingual metric cousin f*ckers.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #46
Motor
I AM GROOT™

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KGTS View Post
A $45,000 Evo...
Yeah, we're getting there...

2014 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo Priced From $35,790
Quote:
Mitsubishi’s Lancer Evolution gets a $300 price bump for the 2014 model year to $35,790.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #47
2KGTS

OK, well then, more like $48,000. That hybrid BS will add 12K...

Quote:
Old 07-28-2013, 02:34 AM   #48
The__J__Factor

Evo x Mr is already 70k here lol

MR-S (Manual) - Cusco Coilovers - More to come...
Evo X MR - 206kws 12.8sec Sold - Z4 M Coupe Sold - Rotrex Celica Sold
The__J__Factor is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #49
Motor
I AM GROOT™

Update!

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Coming Back
Quote:
Same spirit, but so much has changed, it'll likely have a different name

In line with Mitsubishi's "New Stage 2016" business plan spanning 2014-2016, company CEO Osamu Masuko said that his R&D team will streamline Mitsubishi's current 23 models built on 12 different platforms to just 13 models on 7 platforms by 2016. Mitsubishi will also build two sedans using Renault platforms.

And here's a scoop: While the next-generation base Lancer will employ a Renault platform, the high-performance Evolution will not. "Huh, but we thought the Evo was in cryogenic freeze, never to see a successor to the current model Evo X," I hear you say. Not so.

In early 2011, one British publication reported that the "Evo series is dead with the Evo X." Masuko made the unprecedented move to counter those claims when he responded, "The Evo as you know it is no more. The new model will take a completely different direction. What you will see in the near future will be a totally new Evo that employs innovative technology and inspired handling."

Our source in Japan uncovered plans from inside the halls of Mitsubishi's Tokyo HQ that confirm the company is well into the development of a next-generation Evolution. The image you see here is an artist's impression of what the next-gen Evo might look like, following recent design cues from concept cars like the very stylish XR-PHEV concept revealed at Tokyo.

However, from what we are hearing, the next Evo will be so different from the 10 versions of Evos that were churned out every two years since 1993 that it will probably get a totally new name.

First, the demands on the performance and handling side are so great that no Renault platform could cope, says our insider. The next Evo will be an extension of the huge strides that Mitsubishi has made in plug-in electric vehicle (EV) and battery technology as witnessed in the Outlander PHEV. The next Evo will be a fusion of "uncompromised handling with state-of-the-art plug-in hybrid EV technology," stresses our contact.

That's why it has to employ a unique platform. The next Evo will be a showcase of technology and therefore has to sit on a specially developed platform. It all comes down to the cost effectiveness of next-generation EV technology that must achieve greater range while incorporating a smaller engine, smaller electric motors, and lighter, better-performing batteries.

The company's new modular technology will incorporate a "downsized" direct-injection turbo-diesel engine and a revised version of Mitsubishi's proven Super All-Wheel Control (S-AWC), a vehicle dynamics system that integrates management of its Active Centre Differential, Active Yaw Control, Active Stability Control, and Sports ABS.

Our source tells us the Evo's R&D team is currently evaluating an enhanced version of the 135-hp 1.1-liter three-cylinder turbocharged engine powering the sharp-edged XR-PHEV concept revealed at the Tokyo show in November. "This engine generates at least 35 percent more power than any comparably sized engine," says our source, "so it should be plenty for the new Evo."

The next-gen Evo will also be 4WD, but not as you know it. Like the Outlander PHEV, the Evo will employ motors front and aft, but while they will generate similar amounts of power, they will be significantly downsized and the battery pack will be slotted under the rear seats, producing a perfect 50/50 front/rear weight distribution.

Another source close to Mitsubishi informs us that when integrated with the front and rear electric motors, the next-generation S-AWC will achieve handling capabilities that will surpass any previous Evo, even the Evo X. And that is why, he says, the new Evo will not employ a Renault chassis. "Sure, the stock Lancer is slated to sit on a Renault Megane platform, but the Evo requires something quite special, a platform that can only be developed in-house."

Whatever name it gets, one thing's for sure. Mitsubishi believes the new "Evo" will rival any competitor for performance, handling, and fuel efficiency, and with state-of-the-art plug-in hybrid technology making it all possible.