NewCelica.org Forum

NewCelica.org Forum (https://www.newcelica.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.newcelica.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   gts on 87 octane (https://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=183911)

Nova_gts 08-12-2005 12:19 AM

gts on 87 octane

these gas prices are startin to break my pocket, has any one tried puttin 87 octane fuel into their gts engine? out come? mayb 89 instaid?

Pulsar1 08-12-2005 12:25 AM

Poorer(sp) mileage, less power and a case of the knocks. You knew the thing took the good stuff when you bought it don't try to get cheap now.

Blue Bomber 08-12-2005 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pulsar1
Poorer(sp) mileage, less power and a case of the knocks. You knew the thing took the good stuff when you bought it don't try to get cheap now.

:werd:
You can damage the engine by running lower octane gas.

XYRCNCP 08-12-2005 05:27 AM

:werd: x2

EasyC 08-12-2005 05:33 AM

I wonder if you can play with the ignition to run lower octane on a PFC lol.....Not that I'm going to try it lol.

harrison888 08-12-2005 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nova_gts
these gas prices are startin to break my pocket, has any one tried puttin 87 octane fuel into their gts engine? out come? mayb 89 instaid?

87 octane $2.39 X 14gal = 33.46
93 octane $2.59 X 14gal = 36.26

it's really not that big of a difference, may be when you go out on the weekend, try drinking 1 less bottle of beer and you'll make the money back.

Nova_gts 08-12-2005 06:44 AM

less beer... NOOOO

InSw1tchedFlame 08-12-2005 06:57 AM

when i first bought my gts, i put 87 in it for about a month until i was told, "you're a freaking idiot!!! put 93 in there!" after i put 93 in, i started getting a little worse gas mileage actually, so i dont know where some of you are getting your numbers from. However my car sounded much better on the higher octane, a whole lot healthier, so i stick with it. It also brought my ET down at the track

Gundam Whang 08-12-2005 07:29 AM

Use water instead of gas. You'll save yourself a whole lot of money. Haha :p:.

marc 08-12-2005 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gundam Whang
Use ethanol instead of gas. You'll save yourself a whole lot of money. Haha :p:.

:evil:

oONoGoAutoOo 08-12-2005 08:16 AM

Quote:

hahahahaha

Nova_gts 08-12-2005 09:20 AM

i was just asking, i never have put 87 in, my dad whos an engineer keeps tellin me day aftr day to switch, cutting out news paper articles that say theres no diff... and really the ecu should even it out, but i like to push my car so ima stick to 93

Gundam Whang 08-12-2005 09:24 AM

Quote:

i was just asking, i never have put 87 in, my dad whos an engineer keeps tellin me day aftr day to switch, cutting out news paper articles that say theres no diff... and really the ecu should even it out, but i like to push my car so ima stick to 93

If your car was a GT then it wouldn't really matter what octane gas you put it. But since yours is a GT-S, you need to put 93 in due to the engine's high compression ratio. If you use anything other than premium gas then you're basically killing your engine.

combatc87 08-12-2005 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrison888

it's really not that big of a difference, may be when you go out on the weekend, try drinking 1 less bottle of beer and you'll make the money back.

Wow, I wish premium was 2.59 here. At some places, it's 2.98. ****ing 2.98! Can you believe that ****.

Sky2king8 08-12-2005 10:27 AM

Two nights ago the gas station ****ed up and I got premium for 2.31 instead of 2.59!!! go me

treeh8r 08-12-2005 11:14 AM

Quote:

i my dad whos an engineer

What kind of engineer? Not all engineers are knowledgeable about all topics. I'm a chemical engineer; I don't build bridges. I would say, if your dad is so adamant about you switching, do so, but tell him when you destroy your motor, you want him to replace it.

On a side note, apparently prices are anticipated to come back down, due to /barrel cost reducing to less than $65/ea.

SmutasticGT 08-12-2005 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InSw1tchedFlame
when i first bought my gts, i put 87 in it for about a month until i was told, "you're a freaking idiot!!! put 93 in there!" after i put 93 in, i started getting a little worse gas mileage actually, so i dont know where some of you are getting your numbers from. However my car sounded much better on the higher octane, a whole lot healthier, so i stick with it. It also brought my ET down at the track

^^^check ur owners manual it says you need 93 in there for a gts.....

NoRulzAt140 Mph 08-12-2005 11:22 AM

Quote:

It gets worse mileage.

milesplume 08-12-2005 11:23 AM

Quote:

my gts just runs off of pee but the only downside is i get all cut up!! :nutkickhi

milesplume 08-12-2005 11:26 AM

if you all actually read your manualls then u would all know that a celica gt-s runs at min. off of 92 octane so priemium is not enough for the little champs u r all abusers!!(the less octane you use the more you will pay for it in the long run in engine damage and wear, too!)

milesplume 08-12-2005 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoRulzAt140 Mph
It gets worse mileage.

then dont drive all around town in first gear because u have better gas in the car
:no: :owned: :no: :owned: :no: :newbie:

02GTSgirl 08-12-2005 11:32 AM

Quote:

I did the same thing however, the only thing I really noticed was the gas mileage was a little better. Now I put 93 in.

2way 08-12-2005 02:05 PM

There is also a higher sulfer content in regular that doesn't play well with the MMC sleeves in a GTS.

BaLLnFoShO 08-12-2005 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marc
Quote:

Use ethanol instead of gas. You'll save yourself a whole lot of money. Haha :p:.

:evil:

full_metal_gts 08-12-2005 08:46 PM

i wish we got 93...max. ive seen is 91...boooo

slidr 08-12-2005 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milesplume
if you all actually read your manualls then u would all know that a celica gt-s runs at min. off of 92 octane so priemium is not enough for the little champs u r all abusers!!

:liar:

gtspaul2zzge 08-12-2005 08:59 PM

My fuel lid says 91 octane only, see owners manual.

NoRulzAt140 Mph 08-12-2005 11:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It gets worse mileage.

then dont drive all around town in first gear because u have better gas in the car
:no: :owned: :no: :owned: :no: :newbie:

WTF are you talking about?

aznsaiyan509 08-13-2005 01:38 AM

Gas prices are very high in Southern CA.

87 octane - $2.73
89 octane - $2.83
91 octane - $2.93

Zero 08-13-2005 01:55 AM

its in the manual book. 91 or higher for a GT-S.

if you put anything other than a rating of 91 or higher then your car deserves to crap out on you. thats just ignorance.

BTW, here is San Diego, Premium has reached $3.25

SmutasticGT 08-13-2005 10:38 AM

^^^holy ****!!!

SickCelica696 08-13-2005 11:06 AM

spend the 30 cents extra now for premium...unless your putting that money aside for the new motor your gotta need after blowing yours up from runnin 87

SickCelica696 08-13-2005 11:07 AM

btw my dad in hawaii pays like $4.36 a gallon.

natewan31 08-13-2005 08:33 PM

damn thats expensive, but i don't get into the whole complaining over prices, just cuz when it comes down to it, we aren't riding bikes yet, we still hit the pump every 7 to 10 days, complaining with no action is worthless. plus even when G-Dubya(no problem with him) isn't in office prices are gonna stay this high, so oh well~

SingleCamCivic 08-13-2005 08:36 PM

*ping* *ping* *POP* *tink-tink-tink-tink* "Yeah, tripple A?"

prometheum 08-13-2005 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrison888

not to mention you will get ****tier gas milage, but the car will automatically retard ignition timing to reduce knock or atleast it should.

prometheum 08-13-2005 09:35 PM

Quote:

if you all actually read your manualls then u would all know that a celica gt-s runs at min. off of 92 octane so priemium is not enough for the little champs u r all abusers!!(the less octane you use the more you will pay for it in the long run in engine damage and wear, too!)

no you are not the ecu will just retard the timing when it senses knock, and lots of places dont even offer anything higher than 91 for prenium, the highest octane gas you can ger here is 90 octane...

prometheum 08-13-2005 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero

if you put anything other than a rating of 91 or higher then your car deserves to crap out on you. thats just ignorance.

what if you live in a place that doesnt offer 91 :rolleyes:

Zero 08-13-2005 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prometheum

there must be something equivalent to 91 octane.

prometheum 08-13-2005 11:31 PM

Quote:

there must be something equivalent to 91 octane.

no there isnt we get 90 octane

CeliChick2003 08-14-2005 03:31 AM

I used to put 87 in my old auto gt-s for the longest time. I didn't notice any power difference because there was no power there to begin with. At the time I couldn't justify putting premium in a car that can get beaten by Civics. I finally started putting in 91 when my friends screamed at me. Didn't notice any differences. With my new 6spd gt-s I have never neglected to put premium in.

I don't complain too much about our prices because other countries pay WAY more than we do. Let's face it, the prices will never go back to .79 :(

Blue Bomber 08-14-2005 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CeliChick2003
I didn't notice any power difference because there was no power there to begin with.

:chuckles:

NoRulzAt140 Mph 08-14-2005 07:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

no you are not the ecu will just retard the timing when it senses knock, and lots of places dont even offer anything higher than 91 for prenium, the highest octane gas you can ger here is 90 octane...

It will not retard it to perfection. It WILL damamge the engine. Now 90 to 91, I think it can retard it adequately.
Quote:

Quote:

If there is no equvalent, then buy octane booster.

Blue Bomber 08-14-2005 10:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It will not retard it to perfection. It WILL damamge the engine. Now 90 to 91, I think it can retard it adequately.

:werd:
The stock ECU can only adjust timing so much. After that, you're on your own.

gttoy 08-14-2005 10:46 AM

Quote:

If your car was a GT then it wouldn't really matter what octane gas you put it. But since yours is a GT-S, you need to put 93 in due to the engine's high compression ratio. If you use anything other than premium gas then you're basically killing your engine.

I can notice a difference in my GT when using 89 octane.Mainly its when I'm starting from a stop,using 89 I can pretty much start off from idle where as using 87 it's not possible.But my next tank full will probably be 87 due to the cost savings..

GT-S_aia 08-14-2005 02:52 PM

ok ok...i just bought a 04 gt-s friday(8/12/05 .....havent put any gas in it yet...i was wondering if the first 6,800 miles(if ran on 87) could have damaged the engine...i know it needs a new starter because the woman that bought it could not drive a standard and had to restart alot. i plan on using 93 ofcourse, just wondering what damage could have been done at this mileage...

prometheum 08-14-2005 08:25 PM

Quote:

octane booster is worthless, its got poor energy density, and usually one bottle will only increase your octane rating by .1

NoRulzAt140 Mph 08-14-2005 08:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

octane booster is worthless, its got poor energy density, and usually one bottle will only increase your octane rating by .1

well it would help his 90 to 91 situation.

Thor 08-14-2005 09:24 PM

Quote:

less beer... NOOOO

Words of Wisdom there.
Cali absolutely sucks for gas. The highest prices and around some of the lowest octane.

I don't really care. The Celica gets great gas mileage and if I was one to think about gas prices and $20 for the drive around for the week or less in my Celica then I would have bought a cheap Suziki crap ass. No wait, a Ford Fu-k me. No wait, a Cronda Hicckup. No wait, those cars are similar and are worse on gas. Any Dodge Hemi. Any SUV. Any Hyundai Excel and a toaster oven thrown in for being stupid.

I got it a hybrid piece of junk getting 100000 miles to the gallon, 0-60 in 20 seconds, and the battery replacement cost at 5 grand every 5-10 years, whichever comes first and not covered under warranty.

Who cares. I really don't. The topic of which octane do you use, which gas company gas is better, and doesn't gas prices suck doesn't bother me comes up all too often.

I'm still running 100 or 94 exclusive. Why, because I can, I drive a Celica. I haven't looked at gas signs in 5 years. $2.55 or a Monday special at $2.50 isn't going to get my attention. I don't need to roll pennys to get 2 gallons of gas at 30 cents cheaper or a full tank at a $1.00 cheaper.
Most of us here drive Celicas and get amazing gas mileage. Why complain.
I'm banging on 100 octane which isn't much more than Cali drivers pay for 91 cruising around. It comes out about equal.
I can almost fill my car with $25 of 94 Sunoco and go more than the week. I'm happy.
My friend has a used Dodge Ram 1500. He spends in two days on gas just to drive to work what I spend in over a week.

I use to put octane booster 108 in my 85 SR5. Did absolutely nothing.
Putting 91 Shell insted of 86 or whatever the lowest at the time made more of a difference. That I remember.

Spend the money and put the highest octane gas that you have in your area.
92-93 would be great. Read the manual.

TRD S'Charger 08-14-2005 10:05 PM

Quote:

i disagree, maybe the cheap octane booster sucks, but there are good products out there that really work. i haven't used it since i sold my old mustang but i loved 104 octane boost. i suggest you try it.