NewCelica.org Forum banner

LOOOONG. My racing history, and how to get out of tickets! USEFUL!

64K views 238 replies 101 participants last post by  nitsua93 
#1 · (Edited)
LOOOONG. How to get out of tickets! USEFUL!

Why should you trust me? Well, I've been ticketed for over $10 thousand dollars in fines through the later 2 of my 4 years driving. I've paid just under 6grand of that. Not all THAT impressive, I admit, but 4grand is 4grand. On the other hand I was stupid and paid many of these fines before I had a chance to argue them in court. I've never once developed a case, gone in front of a judge to fight a ticket, and lost. My Great Uncle whom I talk to all the time is a retired Sgt. with the St Louis PD. He's worked with Highway Patrol etc. I was a Criminal Justice major before I switched to Computer Science and then Business Administration. And last, 4 years of undefeated victories in Mock Trial and Debate (including State), plus a few little real life court hearings here and there for hell raising as a young kid have all given me a little extra knowledge as to the inner workings of the law.

First off, the most important ticket, speeding. I'll go over that first, as that is what I am most familiar with.

There are several different ways an office can give you a speeding ticket. They will undoubtedly use one of the following methods: Laser or "Lidar", Radar, Pacing, Visual Estimate &/or VASCAR.

We'll start with Radar. How radar works is when the radar device is pointed at your vehicle, it emits a radio waves on a particular frequency (I'll explain how important for you this frequency is later). These radio waves eventually travel to your vehicle, and bounce off, returning to the radar device on a different frequency. In theory, this change in frequency is directly proportional to how fast you are traveling. The radar devide merely calculates this difference, and comes up with an estimated speed. In order for the radar to work properly, it must be pointed DIRECTLY at you. There can be no obstructions in the way ie: other cars, bushes, trees, rocks etc. The device must also be relatively close to you in order to insure that it's reading your speed and not another vehicle's. Radar does not emit an even, narrow, direct beam, but instead is more like a sprinkler or headlight. It is emitted from the device, and spreads out wider and wider over a distance. It's proven that at only one eighth of a mile from the standard unit, a radar beam will be around 4 lanes wide, and sometimes wider. So if your speeding ticket is based on radar, make sure you ask the officer "How far away from me were you when you "clocked" me if you don't mind my asking?" If there was enough space, he could very well have clocked someone in a different lane, or even on the other side of the road.

In addition to all this, radar based speed reading devices have a tendancy to read speeds of bigger objects rather than smaller ones, so if there is some bigger truck near you, he may cause you to get a speeding ticket when you were only traveling the speed limit due to the fact that the radar device read the speed of the truck behind you, but the officer tickets you because you were in front. I've also read in a radar training manual (don't ask how I got it) that sometimes the radar unit can read the speed of blowing dust, branches, rain, leaves etc. So if you were ticketed under these conditions, you might have ample reason to get your ticket dismissed.

Now the how get ammo to fight the pigs. Far too many people think that if they get a radar ticket, thats means: pay, end of story. This couldn't be further from the truth. There are a vast amount of opportunities that will present themselves for you to get out of a radar ticket. First off, there are certain things that are a matter of public record and that you have a right to know and sometimes see. Radar is a VERY sensitive piece of machinery, and as such, it is VERY vulnerable to other variables causing it to be innacurate. If you can raise a reasonable doubt that any of these variables were involved with your ticket, the radar reading becomes inadmisable in court, and your case will have a VERY good chance of being dismissed.

If you get a radar ticket for exceeding a posted speed limit, make sure you find out if there has been a recent traffic and engineering survey taken on that road. Most often, they must be updated every 5 years in order to be valid. What they do is measure the speed of 85% of the traffic, and from this average, is supposed to be the basis of which speed limits are made. Often times, an officer CANNOT use radar for the purpose of ticketing people if there is not an up to date copy of the traffic and engineering survey present with him in court. Remember, the judge and the pig are friends, and they are expecting you not to know your sh!t when you show up in court so often times the judge will not ask the pig for this document, so its up to you to make sure you ask for it if the judge doesn't. In many places, the court will permit you to actually request the data that makes up these surveys, therefore, if your so inclined (like myself) you can often challenge the city's accuracy on the survey itself.

Most of these surveys are conducted using one of those remote radar trailers. I'm sure you've seen them around, they look like little boxes mounted onto a trailer with a little screen that shows you how fast your going. The main pain in the ass is the fact that when most people see these things they slam on their brakes because they think there is a little camera that will take a picture of their liscense plate and ticket them in the mail. This is NOT true. What IS true, is often times a pig will sit a little after one of these and radar people himself. So look around, if there are no cops, GUN IT, as soon as you pass the trailer, or it stops reading you, slam on the brakes and slow back down to the posted speed limit. You'll be doing everyone a favor.

When an officer pulls you over for speeding and he used radar to clock you, you may ask to see the reading on the unit at that time. Usually, it has been my experience that they'll allow me to look at it. If they say no, then I take note of that and will later use it as ammunition against the officer in court.

Many radar based speeding tickets are dismissed every year because the defendant may request any or all the following and does not receive them:
1. The Radar unit's calibration, maintenance, and history records.
2. The officer's certifications for radar training or other things.
3. The tuning fork(s) used to calibrate the radar unit as well as their calibration certificates.
4. The specific radar unit that was used.
5. That agency's FCC license
6. List of models, makes and serial numbers of every radar unit currently in use with that agency.

The things above are a matter of public record, which as most of us know, means that we all have a right to obtain these records to insure that a safe, fair, and truthful trial takes place. You may obtain these records one of a few different ways. The first is you may go to the officer's (who issued you the ticket) specific agency, and ask to speak with someone whom can help you with public records like the Public Records Custodian, or another officer. You give them a detailed list of what exactly it is you want. If they aren't *******s about it, they'll give you pretty much everything you asked for except probably the tuning forks and radar unit itself. They'll probably tell you that the officer will bring these with him to the trial.

If on the other hand, they ARE *******s and refuse you any of this information, you can call the State Attorney General whom is in charge of prosecuting all violations of public records laws. Mark my words, you'll get EXACTLY what you asked for in short order after notifiying the S.A.G. If you really want revenge you can even file a civil lawsuit against that agency for punitive damages.

You can also sobpoena anything reasonable you wish from the court. You may do this by requesting them at the court clerk explaining the things you want. The only catch to this is you need to do it 14days in advance, furthermore you won't get to check out the records until the actual court date, which takes valuable time from the construction of a bulletproof case. Look for any inconsistancies within whatever records you get, these leave the cop very unstable ground to testify upon.

Many times an agency will be sending and reveiving radar units for various reasons constantly. The FCC gives a liscense to the agency for every single radar unit being used, but this isn't automatic. The agency must request these liscenses from the FCC by giving them all the information on the unit, only then can they legally use them. Make sure that the serials and other information on the unit match the FCC liscense list that you look at. Because agencies are getting many new units in from time to time, sometimes they fail to register them with the FCC, which is grounds for immediate dismisal of your ticket, and the agency is in a heap of trouble! =) If it's not liscensed with the FCC, they can't use it against you in court, and when radar can't be used based on a radar ticket, your ticket is history.

In addition to what I've mentioned thusfar, there are a few other things that can be used as ammunition for you in court.

A Radar unit can sometimes read the speed of the patrol car's heater or AC fan.

An inadvertent false reasong can appear on a radar unit if the unit's antenna (which is moveable) is pointed for any period of time at the readout part of the unit.

Neon lights, power transformers, electrical storms, and other sources of harmonic frequencies can all influence radar readings as well.

Radio transmitters and towers are a great source of radar interference. Radar itself is a radio wave, CB radios are notorious for messing with radar speed readings. The fact is, many MANY cars have CB equipped, Police Cruisers included, this means that this error happens quite frequently.

Moving radar which is no different from stationary radar besides the fact that it has to calculate in the speed of the police vehicle into the equation. When an officer accelerates too quickly, this throws off the reading of the radar. Most units are unable to compensate for the sudden increase in ground speed from the officer, and until it does catch up, it will add the increase in the officer's speed to the target...which is usually YOU. When an officer makes this mistake, it is known as "batching". When "batching" occurs, it can cause a very substantial error in the speed reading, and this can in turn lead to an unwarranted citation.

Now onto Laser, or "Lidar"
Lidar stands for LIght Detection And Ranging. It works relatively on the same principal as radar only it uses a laser beam as opposed to a radar beam to detect your speed. A laser beam is however very direct, and will hardly ever give a readout of another vehicle. The narrowness of the beam however can be used to your advantage. For instance, if you drive a black RX-7 or Corvette, you have little to worry about. Since lidar uses light to measure speed, there has to be something to reflect that light in order to give a reading. When you drive a black vehicle with retracting headlights, there is very VERY little targeting area in which the Lidar can be used effectively. The only target now is your front liscense plate (if you even have one), if you do, simply tilt the liscense plate upwards a bit to deflect the straight travel of light, after all, its not illegal to make your vehicle invisible to lidar, as long as the cop can see your plates. If your vehicle deflects or absorbs most or all of the light, then the calculation cannot be completed. So if you drive a dark colored vehicle with retractable headlights and little or no chome etc, you are a VERY hard target. In addition to all this, Lidar involves a number of complex counterparts that mean problems for the officer trying to use it. Because of this, Lidar is not terribly popular with cops. An automotive "bra" is also a good way to help make your car invisible to lidar. Or if you drive a pile of crap and really don't care about areodynamics, you can use carpet...anything that absorbs light. Remember, DEFLECT not REFLECT.

Next is pacing.
I won't spend too long with this because anyone who gets a ticket from being paced, is not paying enough attention to their surroundings. Cops have tried to pace me hundreds of times, never with success. I have studied the headlight, taillight, and turn signal paterns for every known vehicle that my local law enforcement uses, and thus can spot that type of vehicle behind me, in front of me, or to the side of me, even at night. You should at LEAST be familiar with the paterns of Ford headlights, especially those of newer model Crown Victorias. They are pretty easy to spot for a few different reasons. The Amber turn signal area is on the inner part of the headlight pointing towards the grill, they are brighter than any other amber strip I've seen, and they have the scattered LED appearance. It's better to waste a little gas slowing down when you see a pair of lights you think might belong to a cop and then speed back up as soon as he passes you. Better safe than sorry. I slow down quite frequently at night when I'm doing 100-160 in the Supra for false alarms, but I can honestly say I've never once been paced by a Cop and received a ticket. The worst thing that happened was once I was doing like 100, saw a Cop come up quick behind and dropped it down a few gears as not to use my brakes. The cop pulled up along side of me and moved his finger back and forth in a "No-no" motion, and then sped off.

One of only a few attacks you have on pacing is the police cruiser's speedometer calibration records. You might ask the officer "Just out of curiosity, when was the last time your cruiser's speedometer was calibrated?" You will probably want to obtain as much of his vehicle's calibration records as possible. Go about obtaining these the same way I told you earlier with the radar records. You will want to try to establish a history of his speedometer being off by any substantial amount by looking over the service records, etc very very carefully as you would with radar documentation. When you actually do show up to court, never tell the officer you have his records. See if you can catch him contradicting himself or the records, regardless of what your talking about. People seem to think that officers are all angels with halos over their heads that would never in a million years do anything like this. Just like us, cops are people too. Try to use stratedgy and tactics. Often times an officer will not bring these records with him. I've put three different Cops in VERY uncomfortable situations in front of the judge by nagging them about the history of their vehicle's calibration records. Due to the fact that I had not yet "revealed my ace", I was able to force the officers to adlib in a last ditch effort to save credability. After I presented evidence that the officer was in fact mistaken, I had scored even more points with the judge. Remember, although the Judge and officer are on the same side, YOU can impress the judge. First impressions are everything. If you show up to court dressed sharp, with a well developed case and knowledge of the law, you impress the judge. Judges are supposed to be impartial to things like this, but they are just like employers, you impress them, you have a better chance of getting what you want. Its that simple. One last thing about pacing, remember, and officer can just as easily pace you while he is in front of you as he can behind you. Don't think for a second that just because a cop blows by you he is always on call or chasing someone else and its ok to follow.

Next is Visual Estimation
This is just a fancy term cops like to use instead of "guessing". It sounds better, and more technical. If your in court for a speeding ticket and at any point the officer says something along the lines of "I estimated your speed to be ___" you might want to use the following example...you have a chance to make him look REALLY bad in front of the judge yet again. Pick up any object, I usually use a pencil. Take any reference point, your shoulder, top of your head, waist, etc. Ask the officer to watch closely. Drop the pencil and then ask him to estimate the exact speed of the pencil at the moment of impact with the ground. Due to the fact that all object have the same rate of speed while falling, I will include a little chart. All you have to do is measure the distance between your reference point and the ground.

Distance Speed
=============================================================
3.5 ft..................................10.2mph
4.0 ft..................................10.9mph
4.5 ft..................................11.6mph
5.0 ft..................................12.2mph
5.5 ft..................................12.8mph
6.0 ft..................................13.4mph
6.5 ft..................................13.9mph

Lets say you dropped your pencil from 5.5ft (which is the height of my shoulder). Lets say the officer estimates the speed to be roughly 15mph. Pretty good guess right? Only about 2mph off! Your screwed now right? WRONG! If you were ticketed for around 60mph, the officer's estimation would have been off by roughly 10MPH! You can adapt the calculations to fit whatever your ticket was. The higher the speed is, the more the officer would have been off by. Just make SURE your math is right, YOU don't want to be the idiot.

The last method of speed estimation is known as VASCAR
VASCAR means Visual Average Speed Computer And Recorder. How it works is an officer will pick a begining and end point on a given road. He measures the distance between those two points, and waits for you to cross his "entry" line. Once you have crossed his entry line, he then waits for you to travel the distance to his "ending" line. After you've gone through the measured distance he quickly calculates your rate of speed based on how long it took for you to travel the given distance. The major problem with this type of estimation is usually the POV or point of view of the officer, due to the fact that he will most likely be trying to stay out of immediate site of commuters, will often have a poor line of site on you. If he mis judges the point where you cross his "entry" line, then the officer starts the time late, or stops it early, then your speed can read far over what you were actually going. Another one of many ways of using VASCAR is a CHiP will fly by you at some extremely high speed, as soon as he flys by you, he begins measuring time and distance. You think he's off on some call for a triple homicide, all the while he is still checking time and distance. A few miles down the highway, he pulls over, and waits for you with his watch still going. You think he's long gone and then WHAM, you cross his line, and he calculates once again, how fast you were going. The problem with this is VASCAR can be VERY innacurate at long distances, and especially because of the problems in the first example I gave you. For these reasons VASCAR has been outlawed in many areas due to the fact that is qualifies as a "speed trap".

Another thing I think is important to talk about is the use of patrol planes or choppers. If you get a ticket based on a reading from a patrol plane my first piece of advice is TAKE IT TO COURT. I don't care if your scared sh!tless of the judge and cops, take it to court. The reason is the patrolman in the air will radio down to an officer with a description of your vehicle, and if the officer on the ground does not get your speed himself, he must rely on the air patrol person. These pilots are very rare. There are not many Cops being certified to fly these planes or choppers and as such they get paid a lot. They rarely show to court. I've only been ticketed based on an aircraft reading once, but due to the fact that both the testimony of the ground cop as well as the air cop are required to hold case aginast you, your chances of having your case dismissed by default double.

Unless the officer on the ground actually obtains his own speed reading on you, all he has to go on is the word of the air patrol man and his discription of your vehicle. Obviously there are a lot of things that can go wrong here. Say you drive a common vehicle like an black pickup, or white Camary, etc they have no way of proving that it was in fact YOU that the air patrol man was targeting. They are unable to read your liscense plate number from those aircraft, so all they have to go on is description. Make sure you point out to the judge the fact that you drive one of the most popular cars in America, if that is in fact the case, popular colors will help as well. It will also help to get the sales figures from your local dealership for every year of your car that uses the same body style. If there are other cars made by different manufacturers on the same chasis or relatively same body style, get them too. From that high up they can rarely tell EXACTLY what model of car your driving, unless its an exotic, and lets face it, none of us drive exotics or we wouldn't give a rat's ass about tickets.

If for whatever reason the hand of God comes down, and both the air patrolman, and the ground officer show up, make sure to politely request to the judge that one leave the court room while the other gives his testimony. This will prevent them from prompting each other and building false facts against you...which happens ALL THE TIME.

Photo Radar...this is one of my FAVORITES.
You want advice now that you've received a photo radar ticket in the mail? Well, step one is...wipe your ass with it, and then throw it away, burn it, flush it, give it to your kid to draw on, whatever. FUK Photo radar. Photo radar is an invasion of our privacy. To make matters even worse, the photo radar units that are setup at intersections aren't even owned by law enforcement...most are owned by PRIVATE companies. They are very complex devices, in very hard to reach places, and they cost a LOT to keep and maintain. Because of this most law enforcement agencies across the country can do nothing more than lease them from private companies.

When you receive a normal ticket from a Cop, there is the little line at the bottom where it says something like "without admiting guilt, I promise to show up to court at the above date, or pay the fine..." When you get a photo radar ticket, you don't sign sh!t. Your not obligated to do sh!t. You didn't sign anything promising a damn thing. Hell, you didn't even know you GOT a ticket. They are not sent out registered mail, that costs too much. They can't prove that you received it either. This type of ticket pisses me off so much. The fact that they use a fuking camera hooked up to a radar unit because the Cops aren't doing their jobs and the county just wants to get it's greedy little hands on more revenue by praying on the idiocy and scare tactics impressed upon it's citizens is an angering thought indeed. The reason you will probably NEVER hear another thing about any of these tickets is there have been MANY law suits against multiple countys across the nation where people have successfully sued them for invasion of privacy, because thats exactly what photo radar is. They know of these law suits and will not press you for fear that you will become angry like the hoards of other people and fight back. Remember, they pray on the naive nature of the few people who are scared into paying the fine.

If for whatever reason you get arrested for one of these tickets, you can easily sue the county or appropriate other for pain and suffering, loss of wages, emotional distress, etc. Being arrested is a very stressful thing. Try to cry, and act deeply wounded that you would ever be arrested (it helps if you have never been arrested before). I don't advocate playing up things just to get money in court, but when a county stoops to the level of using cowardly, privacy invading, and basically WRONG tactics like this, play their own game. Use cheap tactics to fight cheap tactics.

If you so choose to fight your photo radar ticket (and this also works most of the time), make sure to request ANY of the pictures that were taken. They will usuaully not send the pictures along with the citation, they learned better to do that after a man sued the county for invasion of privacy when his spouse and him opened a ticket that had pictures of himself and an unknown female passenger "messing around" in the front seat. The wife split apart from her husband, and the husband sued, and he won, a lot...

Statistics indicate that the vast majority of photo radar pictures are illegible in at least ONE of the following three critical categories.
1. Legible license plate number
2. Make and model of the car identifiable
3. Clearly distinguishable driver.

Number three is usually pretty unclear as most windshields have that dark stripe across the top, people drive with hats on, sun visors down, hands are in the way, head is turned, etc. Even if the driver sort of looks like you (and probably is) you can say "Your honor, I don't know who that is in the driver's seat but I'm 100% sure it isn't me." if you get a reply along the lines of "You mean to tell me thats YOUR car and you don't know who's driving it?" you can reply "exactly...everyone in my family has keys to it, I let my friends use it from time to time, my family members lend it to people on occasion as well for emergencies, or whatnot." I seriously doubt the judge will subpoena everyone in your family, and all your friends, etc. for a speeding ticket.

If you have a truck, leave your tailgate down, you'll get better fuel economy, and it will obstruct your lisence plate. if you live in a state that does not require a front license plate, take it off. I take mine off even though I'm required to have one on for the simple fact that its only a repair violation, and most cops will ignore it anyway. "This is how I got the car officer."

Remember, FUK photo radar. Most of the devices aren't even owned by law enforcement, but are mearly leased from private companies in exchange for a percentage of the cash collected. So, think about it, this is nothing more than a cowardly, somewhat "pu$$yish" means of revenue generation. At no time is public saftey, or to protect anyone for that matter in mind, its ALL about the money. Funny, I seem to remember once seeing on the side of a Cop car "To Protect and to Serve." maybe they should change that "to fuk you over, and invade your privacy...because we need money"

To wrap this all up, I'll just say a few more things. Most Cops will tell you something like "I've heard them all." or something like that. Well let me tell you, I'm a good bullsh!tter, as many of you already know. I can think of stuff spurr of the moment with ease. Let me just give you a brief run down of a few things that have worked for me.

*Edited out*

Another time I was in San Luis Obispo on Oconor Way which leads to Cuesta College near Cal Poly. It's a long straight road that goes by farms and ranches and such. There is only one intersecting road, but it's flat land so you can see if there are any cars coming from miles away. Anyway, I was doing a top speed run, so I'm driving up the road, and hit the 145 on an uphill before I have to brake. I slow down, and turn around at the cross street. I head back towards the other way (which is downhill). When I am at around 70mph I see the horrid flashing red and blue some distance behind me. I think quickly...so I turn on my hazzards and start stomping on the brakes and letting off. I keep it floored, pick up speed to about 100, and continue stomping on the brakes. After about twenty seconds I let off the gas and pull over to the side of the road, pop the hood, put on my best "Holly sh!t I almost just died" look on my face, and get out of the car. I walk to the front of the car and pretend to kick it. The Cop finally pulls up behind me, and gets out asking me whats wrong. I explain to him I just put in a new clutch plate and had to move my throttle linkage. I was just doing some 0-60 runs out here where it's safe so I wouldn't put anyone in danger and I wouldn't brake the speed limit. The last time I did it, my throttle linkage got stuck somehow. As soon as I saw you I put on my hazzards to indicate there was a problem. So I started trying to break it loose by stomping on it and the brakes trying "desparately" to slow down. Eventually it unstuck and I slowed down and pulled over immediately. The officer informed me not to kick a car as nice as that, and asked me if I needed help getting a tow truck out there to help tow the car back to my house. I informed him I would be fine, and I would just take surface streets to get back to my house, my huge brakes can easily stop my car as long as I'm only doing 25. I thanked him for his concern, and he waved me off, following close for a little while to make sure I didn't have any further "problems".

*Edited out*

Anyway, I'm tired as hell now, and I'm sure no one will even read this far anyway. So tell me how useful you thought it was. Remember, none of this advice is meant to be construed as any sort of legal advice, and I will NOT be held responsible for anything that happens to you as a result of your mis-use of my information. Thats all I am giving you, information.

Special thanks to Alex Carroll for giving me some of this information. Thanks a million Alex.

See less See more
#77 ·
dude, if you were ticketed that many times in 4 years and racked up 10 grand in total tickets then you don't deserve to be driving at all. One would think that you would have learned sooner than that much money later. Man that's retarded. You could have put that money to more useful things. I guess that money had to be used to teach you a lesson since you couldn't learn from a $100 lesson. I can't imagine what your insurance must cost.

#78 ·
buckeye23: point taken...I thank you for presenting it in an intelligent, non arrogant way. The fact of the matter is, something can jump in front of you at any speed. Granted, it may very well be slightly more difficult to avoid something at near 100mph than at 60mph, but either way, it's not going to be a pretty picture. As I understand it (from an NHTSB study) you are just as likely to incur serious injuries driving at normal highway speeds (70mph) as you are speeding. If you are going to get shot in the head with either a shotgun, or a 44mag, either way you look at it, your still going to get shot in the head.

You all may not agree with me, you may think me stupid for spending so much money on something you see to be less than intelligent. You simply do not take driving as seriously as myself. Driving means everything to me. No ticket, no amount of money, no pig or judge is going to take driving away from me. I've spent a LOT of money to learn how to drive, and even more money purchasing a car that put me into the back of my 85 Ranger Pickup truck for more than half a year. I chose my car, and gave up house and home. None of you have any idea how much driving means to me. Driving gives me a chance to ignore EVERYTHING else that's happened during the day, and concentrate on one thing, one thing that I enjoy doing more than anything else (sex comes DAMN close, but not quite).

In fact, I don't really care what any of you think about my driving habbits. Until you've actually been IN the car with me, you know nothing. I NEVER touch lane lines, every turn I execute is taken with the best possible line of approach available to me without hitting or going outside any lane restrictions. I do NOT talk on my cellphone when driving, the only time I will even talk to other people in the car is when traffic is low or none. I have saved numerous cars from fishtailing, or losing control more times than I can count.

It all comes down to priorities. Some people snort, some people shoot a needle, some people sky dive, some people have a beer after work, some people smoke pot, some people bungie jump...I drive. It's the single most important thing in my life apart from my girlfriend. My driving means more to me than my car does. On the VERY rare occasion that I actually do TOUCH one of the lane lines, or execute a turn so that I clip the begining of the yellow line, I feel like a complete moron, and it is a VERY long time until I do it again. If something meant to you as much as driving means to me, you would pay the fines as well. While you may not share my same priorities, cars, and driving have given me something I didn't really have before, an outlet.

Thanks to Buckeye for presenting his opinion to me, as just that, his opinion. I can't stand it when people act like your "immature" simply because you don't share their exact same belief system. Just like Christians.

#79 ·
XFactor95SupraT said:
[It all comes down to priorities. Some people snort, some people shoot a needle, some people sky dive, some people have a beer after work, some people smoke pot, some people bungie jump...I drive. It's the single most important thing in my life apart from my girlfriend. My driving means more to me than my car does. On the VERY rare occasion that I actually do TOUCH one of the lane lines, or execute a turn so that I clip the begining of the yellow line, I feel like a complete moron, and it is a VERY long time until I do it again. If something meant to you as much as driving means to me, you would pay the fines as well. While you may not share my same priorities, cars, and driving have given me something I didn't really have before, an outlet.
I agree with you totally XFactor95SupraT. If something such as driving gives you so much enjoyment and driving fast just multiplies that enjoyment i say go for it. As long as you are only putting yourself into danger it is ok. Once other people could be harmed I think a line needs to be drawn. As long as you and the car can handle the speeds nobody should care how fast someone else drives in a secluded area.

#80 ·
before other people start jumping on your ass for agreeing with a stigma of society, such as myself, let me just say this.

I am fully aware that there is a CHANCE that something could dart in front of me at any point. But the fact of the matter is, that is no more likely than someone getting shot the moment they exit their house. Does this mean we should all become hermits due to this very distinct possibility of serious bodily injury? No...the joy of going outside exceeds the cost of the CHANCE that you could be shot. Something can dart out in front of your car at ANY time, if your driving 75 or 100 (and don't try to fukin tell me you've never driven 70-85mph before)...the speed isn't going to make a difference. It's just a simple matter of doing a cost/benefit analysis. I know for a FACT that EVERY SINGLE PERSON on this site has seen speeds of 100mph, so don't try taking this moral highground telling me I'm endangering everyone when you are guilty of the exact thing you condem me for.

"Do not call someone a sh!t-talker when you have a mouth full of poo."

#82 ·
Thanks for the help dude. Very informative.

I am working on my TBWD right now for a ticket back in early February. What makes it better is that my court appearance got extended from the end of this month to mid-May (when the declaration is due). Hopefully the officer will forget the details then. Even if he did take notes, he might find it more difficult to refresh his memory unless he remembers my face, especially after having written 150-200 citations a month.

Pacing tickets are the hardest to fight, but still easy to contest if you know how to work other vehicle code provisions in your favor.

#83 ·
so did this help at all?

And for those of you who do not know, TBWD is "Trial by written declaration"...it is an easy alternative to actually GOING to court and arguing your case in front of a judge against the citing officer. You just make a well written declaration of what happened, and why you think you are innocent etc.

I noticed your from So Cal...maybe we can do a cruise sometime or something. Sometimes I do community service, and I go hunting for "camping cops" waiting to ticket people...I carry a few sheets of BIG cardboard in my trunk and a marker along with a little duct-tape. I write stuff like "Beware of the Cop with Radar gun --------->"

On one of my lunch breaks, I once watched this cop clock every single person who was driving bye. A few domestics went bye, including a Mustang going more than 50mph (this is a 35 zone), then this little Celica GTS comes cruising bye at around 40mph. Way more than 10mph slower than the preceeding stang, but the cop pulled out and gave him a ticket. So I tell my boss "check this out" I went over to the shipping area and got a big ass piece of card board, wrote "Beware of CHiPy PIG with radar gun ahead!", and stuck it on a tree across the street from our building. I then watched, and laughed. Every single car slowed down to look at the sign, some of them even pointed and laughed. Every single person then drove by the cop at like 5mph under the posted limit. Eventually, a VERY frustrated CHP officer comes out from behind some bushes and looks around. He struts on up to my beautiful piece of art work, and shakes his head while he tears it down. About 5 minutes later, he rolled another import, despite the number of domestics cruising bye at MUCH higher speeds. So I went back and did the same thing. I then went back to our 2nd story office to watch and finish my lunch. Again, every single person slowed down, and the cop eventually came back out, looked at the sign, shook his head, walked back to his cruiser, and left.

I then walked across the street and took the sign down. =)

:fawk: da police :fawk:

#87 ·
lol, this is interesting...I am spending more time now responding to people's PM's about tickets than I am posting...

lol, chalk Brandon down as #24 and counting...already have a few unread since him =)

#88 ·
supratt, maaan, thats A+++ grade thread and post, my respect !!! even if its not much applicable in my country....I love your approach to the "trash-driver" problem, I thought there is nothing like that in US, I thought you all are just really affraid of them, some my buddys are like "but its fu..ing 100 bux and stuff", and I was like "so what, fight for them".

who the hell was that "brown eye" anus? he sounded like a pig in the court : "speeding is bad, is bad, is bad, is bad.........do you plea guilty ?!"

1 ?: did you get tired to type when you where done with the initial post?

good job

#89 ·
I didn;t get tired, I used to do database entry for a long while, I also did voice dictation, so I type around 85wpm. Didn't even take me that long.

#94 ·
My insurance is ****ing HUGE...WHEN I can get it back, it will be $5900 for a year...and I have to pay up front. This is without ANY DUI's, accidents, insurance claims, etc...ONLY speeding.

Part 2 is currently being written.

#96 ·
Could I ask a favor of the people I've helped out with these tickets? If I've talked to you over PM's about a ticket of some sort, and you've already sent in your written declaration, or gone to court, please post here and tell me how it went...I really am curious if any of this is doing any good.

I KNOW there has to be someone out there who's used something, I have PM's from more than 50 DIFFERENT users on this board, and I've sent well over 200 replies to ticket people in the past few months...someone give me a testimonial, even if it sucks.

#97 · (Edited)
I'm still waiting on the outcome of both of the declarations, but I'll tell you what happened in both cases.

To rehash (cliff notes) what happened for each:

#1:
I was taking my gf home 1:45 AM ( Feb 8 ). I got to a fwy transition where the curve made a "U" over the fwy I was merging onto. When I completed the merge, a CHP appeared out of nowhere and followed me for 1.5 miles before pulling me over. Got cited for allegedly doing 80/65 (CVC 22349a). Conditions at the time were never noted (officer only needs to prove I was in excess of 65 MPH under the Max Speed Law, CVC 22349a).

43 hours after ticket #1, I got pulled out of the crowd by CHP and was cited for allegedly going 85/65 (CVC 22349a).

For ticket #1, I filed a 13-page declaration. Two pages was a witness account from my gf. In the declaration I explained, using concepts of curvilinear motion, Newton's Second Law, and the Impulse-Momentum theorem (complete with a diagram), that it would have been impossible to traverse the transition at 80 MPH given the nature of the curve. Considering the officer yelled at me at how I made him "barely keep control" of his patrol car, I challenged his decision to pull me over long after the alleged violation. I also included Mapquest downloads showing the transition (general area) and the location where the traffic stop took place relative to the transition. I also included photographs I took in the daytime while traversing it. Lastly, I realized that the recommended speed for the transition was 45 MPH, but the cop wrote 65 MPH as the prima facie. So I included a copy of the citation in hopes that the officer would perjure his testimony. I later learned that the officer was a rookie.

When I got to court, the clerk was pissed that I had a lot of paperwork, as she had to stamp "Filed" and stick a bar code sticker at the bottom of every page. Mid-way through the stamping she got so agitated she stamped "Filed" across my girlfriend's statement (I hope the judge can read it as the stamp was in black ink as well). I was not advised when the officer would have to turn in his declaration. The bail was $91.

For the second ticket, I wrote a 3 page (single spaced) declaration challenging the officer's method of "pacing" and argued the validity of traveling above 65 MPH using the Basic Speed Law (CVC 22350) and the Minimum Speed Law (CVC 22400) to establish competent evidence as per CVC 22351b (I quoted all three sections).

The clerk did not know what to do with the declaration, as it was supposedly rare to see one. I spent almost an hour waiting at the window while the clerk asked around on how to file it and what to do. I was advised as soon as I handed it in the officer would be contacted and asked to write a declaration due by May 12. Bail was $153.

I received plenty of help both from XFactor95SupraT and the Ticket Assassin. After doing plenty of research on trial by written declarations, as well as getting help on writing a complete and cogent statement of facts, I feel confident enough to challenge any future ticket (I hope not to ever receive one again).

If I am found guilty, I plan on exercising my right to a trial de novo. By the time I get to that trial, so much time would have passed since Feb. 8 and Feb. 9. After writing 150-250 citations/mo. I doubt either officer would remember the exact details of the traffic stop. Even if do lose the second time, there is still an option for fine reduction and/or traffic school.

We'll see. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I should know by the end of May at the least.

*Ironically, that very weekend (Feb 8/9), we went on Orange Alert and the CHP was deployed to 12 hour shifts. There was a significant increase in CHP presence. A lot of people I know got tickets that same weekend. I had a clean driving record for about 9 years (since getting a learner's permit at 15 1/2) until that weekend. I never changed my driving habits, but now I have to drive like an old lady, which is hard to do in Southern California.

#100 ·
Your post is off the hook

Specialy loved the stories about u, getting urself out of tickets. Ur a real class act...Mad Props to you....awesome preseance of mind....Thanks for all the info about how cops use their ammunition against peaceful citizens like us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.