NewCelica.org Forum banner

Gas Spring hood lift kit.

31K views 255 replies 45 participants last post by  anticorr 
#1 · (Edited)
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE PURCHASING!!!!!

This kits requires modification to install. It will require drilling into the drivers hood hinge, and into the plastic cowl for mounting points.
Gas struts are rated at 90lbs each, they do hold up the OEM hood no problem. I can not gurantee the life of the spring as this is a custom application with no history. There is a small interferance under the hood on the brace of the hood near the mounting point of the cowl when the hood is closed. A light tap with a hammer flattens it out to clear this. With this been said please buy at your own risk, It will work and fit with these modifications. I will not be held liable for any damages that this install may cause.
AGAIN BUY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!

So here we go... The kit will include all hardware to install. 2 ball studs mounts for under the cowl, 2 clevis ends for the hood hinge and bolts and screws to mount it. There will also be a spacer for each side of the cowl mounting point, and of course the two gas springs. I will also include drawings for where to drill holes and step by step install intructions.

I do not know if this will work with a carbon fiber hood because I dont have one. It will hold it up but I dony know how much force will be needed to close since its much lighter.

Price is $80 to lower 48. If you have any questions please dont hesitate to ask through here or PM.

1.purpleharo PAID
2.trdmsprts27 - must have these, want these, need these PAID
3. Ghodt dragon PAID
4. czar_jizzle12. PAID
5. Gts*Jason PAID
6. Fasteddy91 PAID
7.JOVY_11 PAID
8. DNAR PAID

See less See more
#231 ·
The gas springs do not push the hood up from a fully closed position and will therefor not cause the hood to fly up while driving. They only engage to push the hood up when it is already about one third open.

Besides, if you are using hood pins as most people do on cf hoods, there is no chance of it opening anyway. If not, it is still unlikely that the latch will release on it's own.

#235 ·
If you do want to do hood pins, a good quality and widely used type is the Sparco steel slider type.

It is true that you don't absolutely have to have pins on your cf hood, but most shops highly recommend them as the hoods are lighter and at higher speeds air can gather under the hood a generate a significant force on the underside.

There is a latch and a safety catch on all stock and decent aftermarket hood though. Personally, I had hood pins on my last cf hood, but this time round I manufactured a hidden custom steel back-up cable underneath that does not show on the surface, allowing for a cleaner look.

It is really up to you, but some members have reported having their hoods blow open. It is just a guarantee to prevent that.

#239 ·
I don't know what Tom has, but there are several ways to add hood security. It is true that technically any hood could go up given the right conditions, although it remains somewhat unlikely. Both the mechanical latch and the standard safety catch on the hood would have to fail first, then the hood pins, cable or whatever you have would be the next line of defense. Aside from this, some just like the look of hood pins & some don't.

It's really up to the individual as to how concerned they are about it, and what their aesthetic preference is. :gap:

#244 ·
I'll have to pick one of these up when I get my car back in the next week or so, if I can still afford it. My Bronco and Dodge have the spring-lift hoods, and mom's Taurus has the shocks, I just hate using the rod to hold up the hood.

Is the pricing still the same?

#246 ·
Is this still up for sale?
How much to ship to the Netherlands?
3906BE Veenendaal

#247 ·
I'm in read this whole thread and cant say I'm fossa punted good job man. Pm me that info and a guess on how long to ship. And I'll paypal the payment to ya.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.