drum to disc conversion - Page 3 - NewCelica.org Forum

Install Guides Parts Catalog Gallery Tech Info

Go Back   NewCelica.org Forum > Site Information & Features > NewCelica.org - Install Guides >    Suspension / Brakes

Support NCO
Google

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #101
andreww

woo, just finished. It's funny, I had little problem getting the handbrake cable bolts out (although I did snap one), but had MAJOR issues with getting the hub off of the knuckle. Stupid rust.
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 05:44 AM   #102
rg3777
VVTL-OL

So if I have all the parts listed from a gts with the new bolts this is a direct swap correct?

SKunk2 |MWR | Circuitworx | EnergySupsension | Hondata | Amsoil | Fidanza | CompetitionClutch | TRD | Custom Test Pipe
rg3777 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #103
andreww

yeah, just make sure you have the handbrake cables from the GT-S. It's really straight forward.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #104
analoq

I just bought the parts needed today.

But on the left rear assembly there's something loose inside it. I took off the caliper and the rotor and there was an arm looking thing just floating around in there.

It's the part that connects to the e-brake cable, I'm not really sure where it goes. Can anyone help?

"Granny shifting not double clutching like you should--"
analoq is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #105
andreww

could be. compare it to the other side. also post up some pics!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #106
analoq

Had a shop do it, gave them this guide and everything went smoothly. Stops and looks 10 times better, great mod!

One thing I may add, you may need to adjust the slack adjusters for the emergency brake when this is all done.

"Granny shifting not double clutching like you should--"
analoq is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #107
jdzacheis

Ok, to answer some questions about using GT hub instead of buying GTS hub.

The rear hubs ARE the same between the GT and GTS, and the bearings are internal and cannot be replaced (must replace hub if they get worn out), so no worries about bearing compatibility.
GTS Hubs
GT Hubs
Note the part numbers ARE the same.

The Knuckle is the same as you can see HERE from my subscription to AllDataDIY.

So it seems to me that all one really needs from the GTS is the backing plate, calipers and rotors for GTS. Other issues: e-brake cable, GT-Boss said he did drum to disc and didn't end up needing it.
jdzacheis is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:37 AM   #108
TRDoug

I think the keepers on the GT cables are round and the ones on the GTS have a flat spot on them. Someone said all you have to do is file the gt ones down so they'll go into the mounting hole on the back of the plate. I've had parts to do this for a couple years but marriage and kids take up my time, this summer I'm gonna finaly get them on. One of the ebrake cables was cut so I'm really hoping I can get my original cables to work! Oh and I'm looking forward to having braided goodridge lines too!!

Injen CAI|H&R SPRINGS|Tokico HP|APR Strutbrace|MWR Flywheel|ACT Street Clutch|TWM SS|Bronzoil shifter cable & base bushings|custom 2.25" midpipe & Invidia N1|Bronze 18x8 TSW Thruxton/TOYO Extensa HP 225/40zr18|Ichiban Pedals|TRD Fogs|TYC Red tails|Power Slot/EBC Greenstuff|Eclipse
TRDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #109
lilmexicanoboi
Paint Guru

Send a message via AIM to lilmexicanoboi Send a message via MSN to lilmexicanoboi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdzacheis View Post
Ok, to answer some questions about using GT hub instead of buying GTS hub.

The rear hubs ARE the same between the GT and GTS, and the bearings are internal and cannot be replaced (must replace hub if they get worn out), so no worries about bearing compatibility.
GTS Hubs
GT Hubs
Note the part numbers ARE the same.

The Knuckle is the same as you can see HERE from my subscription to AllDataDIY.

So it seems to me that all one really needs from the GTS is the backing plate, calipers and rotors for GTS. Other issues: e-brake cable, GT-Boss said he did drum to disc and didn't end up needing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDoug View Post
I think the keepers on the GT cables are round and the ones on the GTS have a flat spot on them. Someone said all you have to do is file the gt ones down so they'll go into the mounting hole on the back of the plate. I've had parts to do this for a couple years but marriage and kids take up my time, this summer I'm gonna finaly get them on. One of the ebrake cables was cut so I'm really hoping I can get my original cables to work! Oh and I'm looking forward to having braided goodridge lines too!!
Good to know! My drum brakes have been giving me issues lately, so it would be nice to just swap them out for discs instead of hassling with the drums :/ but.... dat price

^Sold! :'(
Now: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT WRB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateens4 View Post
cop: why loud exhaust?
me: because race car
lilmexicanoboi is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #110
jdzacheis

It seems that the Scion tC also has the same knuckle. As far as the backing plate goes, I will have to check on that.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #111
tinecidy627

Nice write up first! and helpful discussions

So, since 00 gt has smaller front discs, does any one know how to swap the front? What parts are required, I guess the calipers only? I'm wondering whether a gts rotor and pads can fit in a 00 gt.
tinecidy627 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #112
core2kid

Thinking of doing this to my 05 now. Couple questions:

Would I need to replace the GT knuckle with the GTS knuckle or do the calipers bolt on elsewhere?

Anybody selling these parts or can anybody point me in the right direction to get them?

Thanks!
core2kid is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #113
core2kid

Any recommendation on what type of screws to use to bolt the backplate to the knuckle? What type who t rust and break? 80ft-lb on those bolts?
core2kid is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #114
Erick

New brake lines?

So I'm assuming if we do this conversion and want to upgrade the brake lines.. we'd need to order the GT-S rear brake lines?

Carbing front strut bar, AEM CAI, TRD Exhaust, GTSPEC front strut 4 point ladder brace
Erick is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #115
jin602_05

no. The GT brake line works fine.

Boosted 2.0 Ported Header, Injen Cold Air Intake/Honeycomb mod, Catless, TRD Axle Back, 00-01 Redline conversion, Tanabe Front strut, Cusco Lower Tie bar, 3pt TRD rear strut, Ksport Coilover, 17x9 Varrostoen ES2, 03 Full interior conversion. FULL actionpack kit/wingless with BB Spoiler lip. SouthBend Stage 2 DD, Fidanza Light flywheel, TMW SS/with Soild cable bushing.
jin602_05 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #116
gregorio3
Supporter

im doing this conversion right now but i cant get the backplate off the knuckle i removed the four bolts. i've been hammering, torching, and PB blasting it for hours and it still wont budge. any suggestions on any other way off getting them off i tried putting the wheel on and lowering the car so that the weight would break it free but it still didnt move. or what would i have to do to get the knuckle off the two lower screws wouldnt budge but i got the bolts off with an impact.
gregorio3 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #117
jdzacheis

Try using a pry bar. Try using a pry bar and on another corner, at the same time, use a BFH. It shouldn't be nearly that difficult to get off. You can also try and to make a sacrifice to your car. Grab a flat head screwdriver and try to hammer/wedge it between the knuckle and the backing plate. If it is that difficult to get off, doing this will most likely screw up your screwdriver.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #118
gregorio3
Supporter

thanks after letting them soak with PB blaster for two days they final came out with the persuasion of the BFH. now just have to unhook the e-brake cables which were exactly are the brake cables under. i know they are under the exhaust but what portion are they under the resonator?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #119
jdzacheis

I haven't done this mod myself, however, I have read from others stating the e-brake cables are the same and you will not need to change them.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #120
gregorio3
Supporter

Is there a torque spec for the backing plate bolts or do you just get them as tight as possible?
Old 08-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #121
jin602_05

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorio3 View Post
do you just get them as tight as possible
this.

Boosted 2.0 Ported Header, Injen Cold Air Intake/Honeycomb mod, Catless, TRD Axle Back, 00-01 Redline conversion, Tanabe Front strut, Cusco Lower Tie bar, 3pt TRD rear strut, Ksport Coilover, 17x9 Varrostoen ES2, 03 Full interior conversion. FULL actionpack kit/wingless with BB Spoiler lip. SouthBend Stage 2 DD, Fidanza Light flywheel, TMW SS/with Soild cable bushing.
jin602_05 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #122
jdzacheis

Agreed
Old 08-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #123
gregorio3
Supporter

Ok thanks
Old 03-27-2014, 05:00 PM   #124
ksgts

For anyone that is going to do this mod let me try and clarify a few things.

1. GT and GTS hubs are the same. (Only difference is abs sensor or not)
2. GT hand brake cable can be used but the keeper at the end of the cable must be ground down to fit the hand brake arm of the disk brakes ( 3 minute per side with a mini grinder ).
3. The backing plate for the disk brake setup is thicker than the backing plate form the drum brakes, therefor if you are using the gt knuckles longer hub bolts are needed. They need to be about 10mm longer than bolts holding the hubs on the drum brakes. As posted earlier 10mm x 1.25 40mm. I got grade 10.9 yellow zinc coated at Advanced auto for 1.49 ea.
4. The stock caliper brake line attaches to the the hard line mounted in the wheel well exactly the same way the line for the drum brakes does.

I just completed this mod after doing the reading of this post and I hope this helps clarify a few points.

I have not confirmed but am almost positive the hub mounting surface on the GTS knuckle is 10mm thinner than the GT knuckle. Although the backing plate for the disk brake is 10mm thicker than the drums they use the same length bolts to mount the hub. This makes sense concidering that would keep the overall width of the hubs the same between the GT and GTS. The advantage with using the longer bolts with the gt knuckle is that it is like adding a 10mm spacer and getting negative offset for the rear wheels. In short the over all width of the rear hubs grows by 20mm doing this mod with the GT knuckles.

Last edited by ksgts; 03-28-2014 at 06:33 PM..
ksgts is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:03 AM   #125
wayne0

CL score

$65! My winter project!
Attached Images

wayne0 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:51 AM   #126
jdzacheis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne0 View Post
$65! My winter project!
Sweet! If you don't end up using them I will buy them off ya! I can't seem to find any used =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgts View Post
3. The backing plate for the disk brake setup is thicker than the backing plate form the drum brakes, therefor if you are using the gt knuckles longer hub bolts are needed.
The backing plates are different the knuckles are not, you need different bolts because of the backing plate differences, not because of the knuckles. Just want to clarify that so that some peeps don't end up getting knuckles when they don't need to.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #127
wayne0

I wont be using the knuckles or e-brake cables from these. They will be for sale after the work is done.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #128
wayne0

I'm doing this right now. The hubs do NOT want to come off. BFH was no good. After several hours of soaking in PB Blaster, I wound up cutting the back plate down the rear side (air chisel) so I could get a good whack on the hub itself. It finally came off. The brake line fitting was frozen so I had to detach the hose from the clip and unscrew the hose from the line. Broke one e-brake cable bracket bolt. Started this at 11:30, it's now 5:00. Swimming in PB Blaster. Passenger side tomorrow. What fun.
That's living in the "rust belt"!
Funny how the disk hubs just popped of the GTS knuckles on my shop floor. I figured it would be a cake walk!

Last edited by wayne0; 12-06-2014 at 02:40 PM..
Old 12-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #129
wayne0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdzacheis View Post
The backing plates are different the knuckles are not, you need different bolts because of the backing plate differences, not because of the knuckles. Just want to clarify that so that some peeps don't end up getting knuckles when they don't need to
If that is true, the GTS bolts would be longer than the GT, however they are the same length. I know as I have both in front of me.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #130
jdzacheis

Quote:
If that is true, the GTS bolts would be longer than the GT
That isn't the case.
Quote:
however they are the same length. I know as I have both in front of me.
ksgts already covered this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgts View Post
I have not confirmed but am almost positive the hub mounting surface on the GTS knuckle is 10mm thinner than the GT knuckle. Although the backing plate for the disk brake is 10mm thicker than the drums they use the same length bolts to mount the hub. This makes sense considering that would keep the overall width of the hubs the same between the GT and GTS. The advantage with using the longer bolts with the gt knuckle is that it is like adding a 10mm spacer and getting negative offset for the rear wheels. In short the overall width of the rear hubs grows by 20mm doing this mod with the GT knuckles.
50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone work way better than PB Blaster. A bucket under the part you're soaking works well. If you don't want to destroy your other backing plate you should use a torch to heat the hubs, then give them a good whack.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #131
wayne0

Yes, confirmed. The GTS knuckles are thinner, so they are not the same. I'll pick up some acetone and try it. I've heard of that before, but never tried it.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #132
wayne0

Quote:
Yes, confirmed. The GTS knuckles are thinner, so they are not the same. I'll pick up some acetone and try it. I've heard of that before, but never tried it.
Well, THAT didn't work! Had to cut the other backing plate as well.
Oh well, It's done and they work great!
Can't even give away rear drums anyway.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:14 AM   #133
jdzacheis

Just picked up GT-S rear brakes from a junkyard for $120 including backing plates, hubs, calipers, e-brake cables. I had to cut the brake lines because they were striped and I had time constraints (found a GT-S at the third yard I went to in one day) and the yard was close to closing. Not to mention the GT-S had rims with tuner lugs so I had to make a trip to parts store.

Anyhow I was going to take the opportunity to put stainless steel brake lines but they come in a set of four. I'm pretty sure if I order the set for GT-S it'll fit my front calipers but not 100% sure because I have gay Y2K brakes. Anyone can confirm or deny this?

BTW I will make an install video and link it to my YouTube channel.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:26 PM   #134
poleclimber63

Just picked up brake assemblies today from a junk yard for $120. It was super easy getting the backing plates off and the e brake cables removed, as the donor had no rust. I don't anticipate a problem with installing them, as my car also has no rust. I will have to pick up some bolts.

I also pulled the rear tail lights from the donor 2004, as mine is a 2001--- I like the look better. The car was only in the yard for 2 days and the spoiler and lower trim pieces (GTS action package) were already gone! Blast! While I was doing my thing, another guy showed up and pulled the front brakes and front strut bar(I missed that). I think he was disappointed I got to the rear brakes before him!
poleclimber63 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:18 AM   #135
itreflop117

i'm gonna bump this... seems like there's some misinformation being spread from the 4+ threads that pop up on google that I wanted to ask and clarify.

so everything here that is needed is the hub forward. knuckle is not needed.

my dumb question is, can I just slap a GTS rotor on, get a GTS caliper, grind down the ebrake cables and call it a day?

I guess now that I'm thinking about it, if I were to do just that, there would be no way to mount the caliper on my current 2000 GT correct?
Old 11-14-2018, 09:19 AM   #136
xlela

You need backing plates to mount GTS calipers
xlela is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:49 AM   #137
jdzacheis

Quote:
Originally Posted by itreflop117 View Post
i'm gonna bump this... seems like there's some misinformation being spread from the 4+ threads that pop up on google that I wanted to ask and clarify.

so everything here that is needed is the hub forward. knuckle is not needed.

my dumb question is, can I just slap a GTS rotor on, get a GTS caliper, grind down the ebrake cables and call it a day?

I guess now that I'm thinking about it, if I were to do just that, there would be no way to mount the caliper on my current 2000 GT correct?
FYI, GTS rotor's drum size and the GT drum size don't match. GT's have larger drums because they are the primary breaking system for the rear whereas the GTS' drum isn't meant to stop the car except during emergencies.

You need everything from the knuckle forward (not including the knuckle). That would be the backing plate (and everything attached to it), wheel bearings, rotor and caliper. I would recommend getting GTS cables and not modify the GT ones. They aren't that hard to do.

I have already done this to my GT a couple of years ago with some parts from a junkyard GTS. I would recommend getting new or re-manned calipers, new rotors and pads and new wheel bearings. Basically just grab the backing plate and the parking brake cables from your donor car, or else you might just be in there fixing it again in a couple of months if you put the other parts on your car. With cars this old, you don't know what you are getting when you use these kind of parts.