Misfire gts sounds like a Subaru - NewCelica.org Forum

Install Guides Parts Catalog Gallery Tech Info

Go Back   NewCelica.org Forum > Celica Discussion > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Troubleshoot Your Problems Here.

Support NCO
Google

Old 06-21-2019, 08:00 AM   #1
bintha530

Misfire gts sounds like a Subaru

Hello to the members of new celica I’ve owned my celica since 2011 recently I put a new head on the gts with a whole new head set sent to the machine shop with super tech Valvetrain 3 angle valve job pnp with the stock cams I had the machine shop set the valves and do the lash so all I had to do was throw the head on the block and go I put it all together and now my gts sounds like a Subaru literally a Subaru I have a misfire code in cly 1 I’ve done a little diagnosing but nothing concrete to narrow it down in a second post I will post what I’ve done help is appreciated please and thank you I’m advance
bintha530 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2019, 08:11 AM   #2
bintha530

Things I’ve done so far ....
Car gave me a misfire code p0301 misfire cyl 1 so I started at the fuel Injectors I switched 1 and 4 the car then gave me p0301 & p0304 now it misfiring in cyl 1 and cyl 4 not really knowing what to do I unplugged the maf and it kinda smoothed out the rpms Subaru sound when away so I’ve gone and got a new denso maf I’ve checked the continuity from the maf plug to the Ecu and it checks out fine before I put the new maf in I’m gonna check my original one that came in the car from Toyota I have an injen cai installed I noticed it had 2 holes on the tube that I repaired with jb weld I’ve also bought new plugs that I haven’t installed as the plugs I had before I bought right before I pulled the head long story short this is a junk year motor I put in three years ago I pulled the head of cause I drove it in the rain and it started running like crap undrivable please I need help please
Old 06-27-2019, 08:00 PM   #3
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Have you checked the simplest and most common reasons for misfires... like coilpacks & plugs? These are often the root of the problem.

TRIAL . C-ONE . MWR . VEILSIDE . ACT . VARRSTOEN . TEIN . ANSA . BEATRUSH . EBC . INJEN . TRD . BRASHBOY . OH MY!
Ghost Dragon is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2019, 08:28 PM   #4
bintha530

My car has brand new coil packs and brand new ngk plugs and brand new maf made by denso
Old 06-27-2019, 09:25 PM   #5
xcfool

are the new coils OEM? If by chance you went with Accel Supercoils that could be the problem as they are notoriously faulty.
TWM Short Shifter & Knob
Tokico HP, Progress Sway
Energy Suspension Bushings
xcfool is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:49 PM   #6
$ilverGTS

I had the same problem, my car was knocking and pinging, got the same codes you got and found out that it was my gas, a mechanic friend of mine said sometimes when they refill the tanks at the gas station, they put the wrong grade in the wrong tank. This wasn't my regular stop, so I put octane booster just to burn through that tank, after that i put what i regularly use, Chevron 91 octane gas, Big, big difference. The codes went away, no issues after that, ran smooth and had the power I was used to. This problem began immediately after I put the other gas, Just a thought.

Last edited by $ilverGTS; 06-27-2019 at 10:52 PM.. Reason: add more info
$ilverGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:42 AM   #7
Ghost Dragon
Klaatu barada nikto

Those are also true points. The wrong gas grade (always use 91 or above) and cheap coils can cause these issues. But it can be various other things ranging from a simple vacuum leak to a head gasket just starting to go out.

TRIAL . C-ONE . MWR . VEILSIDE . ACT . VARRSTOEN . TEIN . ANSA . BEATRUSH . EBC . INJEN . TRD . BRASHBOY . OH MY!
Ghost Dragon is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote