p1349 and process of elimination - NewCelica.org Forum

Install Guides Parts Catalog Gallery Tech Info

Go Back   NewCelica.org Forum > Celica Discussion > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Troubleshoot Your Problems Here.

Support NCO
Google

Old 04-28-2019, 02:52 PM   #1
Kirk

p1349 and process of elimination

Hi all,

Just a few tips I thought id share on how im currently trying to shake off the P1349 code permanently without clearing it with a diagnostic scanning tool after every other drive - both long distance and short going up the rev range. 2006 VVTi with 160,000 miles.

Steps taken:

1: Faulty VVT Solonoid - Replaced - code comes back.

2: VVT Solonoid Filter - Not dirty but still cleaned - code comes back.

3: VVT Actuator Gear - Checked; no visibile signs of dirt or excessive wear - code comes back.

I know that there are other threads that talk about a logical 3rd step to be an oil change. But this was done 2 thousand miles ago with Castrol Magnatec and Mann Filter. But without taking it for a full diagnostic I cant think of what else it could be. The steps i've taken previously wouldn't harm anything and are things I would have looked at with or without the code under my own servicing of the vehicle.

4: Oil and filter Change - To be updated

It shouldnt be the oil or filter being the problem but I will come back to post more information on what i've found. Hopefully it can help others

Update:

New oil and oil filter - P1349 code still appearing after every other drive.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Starting to think the actuator could be at fault even though it appeared to be in working condition.

regards

Last edited by Kirk; 05-05-2019 at 06:15 PM..
Kirk is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2019, 06:17 PM   #2
Kirk

Update

Update:

New oil and oil filter - P1349 code still appearing after every other drive.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Starting to think the actuator could be at fault even though it appeared to be in working condition.

Is there any way of testing that the oil is getting to the actuator and not being blocked?

regards
Kirk is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:37 PM   #3
PETER PAN 2009

P1349

There is an oil filter for the VVVT solenoid, the size of a AAA battery, at front top of the engine, passenger side, going into the valve head. It may be dirty and blocks oil therefore VVVT works intermittently

Instead of removing the filter, it's easier to Try Motor Medic GUNK engine cleaner (WALMART $6). Add half quart into engine oil and idle 10 minutes. It should dissolve oil sludge in many places and free up mechanisms. If the old oil is very black, you may need to do it more than once.

Good luck

P1349 Code - General
Variable Valve Timing System Malfunction - Bank 1

OBD-II code P1349 indicates a problem with the variable valve timing system in your Toyota.

Your Toyota's variable valve timing, or VVT, system is responsible for controlling and adjusting the intake valve timing according to driving conditions. The engine control module, or ECM, controls the oil control valve, or OCV, to make the intake valve timing accurate, and so that oil pressure controlled by the OCV is properly supplied to the VVT controller. From there, the VVT controller changes position between the cam and crankshaft. The code, P1349 is triggered when the valve timing isn't changing from the current valve timing state, or when the valve timing is fixed.

Possible causes of trouble code P1349 include:

Low or dirty engine oil
Incorrect valve timing
Faulty oil control valve
Faulty variable valve timing controlled assembly
Faulty engine control module (ECM)
Getting to the bottom of this problem can be tricky since possible causes vary so greatly. Checking the oil to determine if it is low or dirty can eliminate the easiest of the possible problems. From there, you will need to check the timing to see how off everything is. Considering the problem to be a faulty engine control module should be the very last on your list. If you have addressed every other issue and the light is still illuminated, try clearing the code to see if it returns -- if it does, it might be a sign of a bad ECM. Other signs of ECM problems include poor performance, failure to start, and erratic gear changes on automatic transmission.
PETER PAN 2009 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote