"warning for being too low"? - NewCelica.org Forum

Install Guides Parts Catalog Gallery Tech Info

Go Back   NewCelica.org Forum > Celica Discussion > Racing Stories > Police Stories/Tickets

Police Stories/Tickets Police Stories & Help With Tickets

Support NCO
Google

Old 09-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
gjkissel2

"warning for being too low"?

so i was driving home from work the other day, was around 11 pm, and my friend called me, so seeing as how i didn't want a ticket, i pulled over and put my hazards on to answer the call. After about 2 minutes of talking on the phone, a police officer pulls up behind me and turns on his lights, so i just sighed and thought "here we go what'd i do this time", and he walks up and says "any problems today buddy?" to which i replied "no, i was just on the phone with a friend and decided to pull off so i wouldn't get a ticket for talking on the phone" etc etc, then he went to say "well i pulled over and checked your license, and i see it's being revoked tomorrow ( in maryland teenagers recieve a provisional license, and if you get two tickets within the time of the of the provisional period, you get it suspended for 30 days, i received two moving violations 17 months apart, when the period for a provisional license is 18 months, so yeah i know im stupid for speeding/failing to stop for a full three seconds at a stop sign ( i stopped for two so i got a ticket lol ).

ANYWAYS he went on to say "i wanted to make sure you weren't doing anything reckless, also im here to tell you that you need to raise your car up because it is way to low, and you're lucky i don't write a ticket for it"

i just said thanks for the kindness officer and went on my way
but can you really get a ticket for being too low lol?

i remember reading the only laws there were in the US about it is "headlights have to be 22 inches above the ground" or "the lowest body piece cannot be below the lowest part of the rim" neither of which i believe are enforced in maryland, and i pass both of those tests

anyone else ever get yelled at for being "too low" even though im not low compared to half of you guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMiller View Post
I'm fucking cool. My e-cred just went up 7 pts.
gjkissel2 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
jin602_05

Maryland
A person may not operate a vehicle on any highway if the height of the vehicle’s bumpers exceed:

20 inches for passenger vehicles;
28 inches for multipurpose vehicles and trucks with GVW of 10,000 lbs. or less;
30 inches for trucks with a GVW exceeding 10,000 lbs.; or
32 inches for trucks used for spraying agricultural crops.
A bumper may not be modified or extended upward or downward to compensate for vehicle suspension or body alterations or modifications

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/bumper-height/

Boosted 2.0 Ported Header, Injen Cold Air Intake/Honeycomb mod, Catless, TRD Axle Back, 00-01 Redline conversion, Tanabe Front strut, Cusco Lower Tie bar, 3pt TRD rear strut, Ksport Coilover, 17x9 Varrostoen ES2, 03 Full interior conversion. FULL actionpack kit/wingless with BB Spoiler lip. SouthBend Stage 2 DD, Fidanza Light flywheel, TMW SS/with Soild cable bushing.
jin602_05 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
Pave High
(..+

^
That

The bottom line is, 85+% of modifications are illegal in most (40+) States.

It's just a matter of enforcement, cops react differently to different things in different cities. I've heard of cops having a 0 tolerance policy on dark tint in the city neighboring mine yet I've rolled around for years with 10-12% below the legal limit and never had a cop say anything on any of my many, many traffic stops. Another good example being tail light tint. It is 100% illegal here yet i drove around for years without a problem and see it on tons of cars around here while some of my friends have gotten tickets for it.

I'm sure he could have found something in the penal code to write you a ticket for but he kinda just sounded like a douche.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
gjkissel2

seeing as how i can't afford tickets 24/7 i always get right at the limit, ie my exhaust with the silencer in is like 94 DB

my tints are 35% (the legal limit in MD)

my skirts barely reach the bottom of the rim, which is apparently what the cop said he was going to charge me for

most cops i've run into are fairly decent but this one probs had something uphis ass

Quote:
Old 09-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
DOJAGUY
DA General of the ARMY

its called "unsafe ride height"

happens all the time.

there is a cop in my city with a tennis ball. if he cant roll it under your car than your too low.

im too low
DOJAGUY is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
2004GTS

This is why you need bags.

"Officer, I'm not even low." Drop the height to body on the ground and watch his expression.

I'm going to tell you right now. He didn't originally pull you over for ride height. He stopped because he probably saw a young face out at night and immediately assumed you were intoxicated. When he saw that you weren't, he simply wanted to get you for something else so he didn't make a fool of himself.
2004GTS is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
Pave High
(..+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOJAGUY View Post

happens all the time.

there is a cop in my city with a tennis ball. if he cant roll it under your car than your too low.

im too low
is wondering how people get away with supercars in your area..
Old 09-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
gjkissel2

Quote:

happens all the time.

im too low
i don't know if i would pass that, i might

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004GTS View Post
This is why you need bags.

"Officer, I'm not even low." Drop the height to body on the ground and watch his expression.

I'm going to tell you right now. He didn't originally pull you over for ride height. He stopped because he probably saw a young face out at night and immediately assumed you were intoxicated. When he saw that you weren't, he simply wanted to get you for something else so he didn't make a fool of himself.
i think bags as themselves are illegal for street use, not entirely sure

also i agree with you, i got pulled over once and the officer forced me to do a dui test (walked in a straight line, etc), and once i passed and he realized i was sober he tried to find something else to give me a ticket for, so that's how i ended up getting an exhaust ticket lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pave High View Post
is wondering how people get away with supercars in your area..
right? my car isn't much lower than some cars that come stock, so i don't see the big deal honestly, i consider it more dangerous to raise those HUGE pickup trucks than to lower my car, like seriously lol

Quote:
Old 09-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
2KGTS

Quote:
I'm going to tell you right now. He didn't originally pull you over for ride height. He stopped because he probably saw a young face out at night and immediately assumed you were fill-in-the-blank. When he saw that you weren't, he simply wanted to get you for something else so he didn't make a fool of himself.
+1

Also, elections have consequences. Mayor, town council, etc. help set these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
It's like sex with your cute but chubby cousin that one time when you had both had too much wine at Christmas dinner. You know it's wrong, you're not stopping, and you really regret it the next morning. That is poutine, Canada does this 24x7x365. Canada are a bunch of sick bi-lingual metric cousin f*ckers.
2KGTS is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
gjkissel2

whenever i hate my local laws i just realize i don't live in CA

Quote:
Old 09-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
DOJAGUY
DA General of the ARMY

fuck you. just pay the ticket.

so what if you have to pay $80 a month for a ticket

if thats the cost of being low than thats fine
DOJAGUY is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #12
2004GTS

^ They will pull his license. You need to realize his age.
2004GTS is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #13
Pave High
(..+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjkissel2 View Post
also i agree with you, i got pulled over once and the officer forced me to do a dui test (walked in a straight line, etc), and once i passed and he realized i was sober he tried to find something else to give me a ticket for, so that's how i ended up getting an exhaust ticket lol
Same here, i blew a red light (in fairness it did turn yellow when i was about 25 feet away from it doing 55 MPH So i accelerated to about 4500 RPM to clear it) and a cop at the cross street pulled out, followed me for a few miles then pulled me over. After a good bit of arguing about how I wouldn't have had time to stop. i left that TS with an exhaust ticket...
Old 09-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #14
gjkissel2

Quote:
fuck you. just pay the ticket.

so what if you have to pay $80 a month for a ticket

if thats the cost of being low than thats fine
no i agree with you, i knew if i modified my car it'll get attention, including attention from the police lol

Quote:
^ They will pull his license. You need to realize his age.
this^

it already happened sadly lol, just turned my license in for 30 days because i received two moving violations in the process of 3 years of driving

Quote:
Same here, i blew a red light (in fairness it did turn yellow when i was about 25 feet away from it doing 55 MPH So i accelerated to about 4500 RPM to clear it) and a cop at the cross street pulled out, followed me for a few miles then pulled me over. After a good bit of arguing about how I wouldn't have had time to stop. i left that TS with an exhaust ticket...
it sucks how that you can be pulled over for no reason then they just look for something to ticket you with lol

Quote:
Old 09-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #15
Jacobgt

When i got pulled over the cop complemented on how low my car was, but where i live cops don't care about that stuff, but if you get a ticket for that fight it maybe but i definitely would raise my car back up, or get new rims raise you up a little.
Jacobgt is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #16
Pave High
(..+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjkissel2 View Post
it sucks how that you can be pulled over for no reason then they just look for something to ticket you with lol
Yea, it's a big problem in Florida right now. It's turning into NYC in this bitch, you'll get stop and frisked in downtown parts of cities if you're wearing the wrong kind of clothes etc, Same thing with driving. I've had friends get pulled over for the most petty shit like "Not using your blinker a full 75 feet before a turn signal" Only to have the cop ask to search the car and them etc.

Sigh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobgt View Post
When i got pulled over the cop complemented on how low my car was, but where i live cops don't care about that stuff,
The funny part is im sure your car is breaking at least 1 code, all about the cops and what they care about

Quote:
but i definitely would raise my car back up, or get new rims raise you up a little.
ROFL. the benefit of coils. Show up to your court date 4x4 as fuck and be like.. idk why he said he couldnt roll a tennis ball under my car

Problem?

Old 09-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #17
Jacobgt

Quote:
ROFL. the benefit of coils. Show up to your court date 4x4 as fuck and be like.. idk why he said he couldnt roll a tennis ball under my car

Problem?
lol just reread that i meant wouldn't but yea afterwords slam it agian.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #18
ekindbest

Send a message via AIM to ekindbest
When I first got my black GTS I went to county clerk's office to have the car transfer under me, I left all the papers at home including insurance. With no plate or temp plates on I got pulled over, say hi to the officers and told him I just got the car, heading to the clerks office. As soon as he notice my windshield he became so nice and he said drive carefully and went back to his car. I called him over and asked him if my kazuma is too loud at idle he said its good, reved it to 3k rpm and he said its cool, just don't redline infront of them and I'll be good.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #19
fathorsejr

that's garbage!
Old 09-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #20
gjkissel2

i told my parents about it, my dad flipped out about it lol, my mom was just like "that's bs, good for standing your ground" my dad is in the process of forcing me to raise my car up but i honestly won't do that, as stubborn and "spoiled" as that sounds, it's my car, i paid for it, paid for the BC's, why should he get to choose what i do to it lol

either way i've never heard of being too low in america at least, unless you're shooting up sparks in front of a cop lol

Quote:
Old 09-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #21
JaKKaL

Sounds like he was just dicking you around. I've had a few experiences with that, they can pretty much tell you what ever they want. For example I was pulled over in my impreza a few yrs ago for my windows being to "dark." The reality of the situation was they saw some kids cruising around late night & assumed they must be carrying, so they just tossed out a reason for a full car search. Pigs tend to be @$$holes
Old 09-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #22
JaKKaL

And they didn't even seem to notice I was running w virtually no exhaust I.e. "open headers" while I was saving up for my hks pipes
Old 09-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #23
gjkissel2

yup cops around here tend to look up the driver with the plates or however they do it, realize it's a young driver, especially if you have a really cheap beat up car, or a modified car, you will be pulled over and they will find a good ( in their eyes) to search your car, as that is a dead give away you have stuff you shouldn't
thankfully im not dumb enough to roll around in a car that gets the attention that mine does with drugs and or alcohol especially since i'm underage

Quote:
Old 09-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #24
Jacobgt

Correct me if i'm wrong i have no idea but don't they technically haft to have a warrant to do a search?
Old 09-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #25
gjkissel2

Quote:
Correct me if i'm wrong i have no idea but don't they technically haft to have a warrant to do a search?
meh, there's so much grey area's when it comes to cops lol

i know that they can search with a "reasonable suspicion" for example, if you're speeding, and swerving around, they could search your car for booze or something you know?

Quote:
Old 09-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #26
ekindbest

Send a message via AIM to ekindbest
they can always come up with some BS suspicious reason to search ur car.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #27
gjkissel2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekindbest View Post
you can always deny a search, half of the time if you deny a search they'll drop it since they obviously don't have a legitimate reason to search your car.

but meh like i said before, cops around here aren't that big of dicks, i've been complimented on how clean my car (meaning washed and inside wasn't full of trash...unless he meant it looked sick lol ) was by a cop "even though i was a teen" lol

Quote:
Old 09-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #28
JaKKaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekindbest View Post
X2

They can basicly do anything they want. Who you gona call to complain??

I've personaly heard; not specificly being the driver of the car; "if you don't hand over your stash right now then we will call in the K9 & if they bark you and your friends are going to jail too if you don't tell us right now where it's stashed we'll ripp your car apart untill we find it.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #29
JaKKaL

Most of the time it's a bluff & they're trying to get you to give yourself up.

I'm not advocating & admitting to anything just sharing my experience w the same type of shitty situations.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #30
Jacobgt

Jay-z lied to me "Well, do you mind if I look around the car a little bit?"
Well, my glove compartment is locked, so is the trunk in the back
And I know my rights, so you gon' need a warrant for that
Old 09-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #31
Pave High
(..+

Quote:
Probable cause, which can be just about anything these days. (Dark tint, Aftermarket exhaust, being too low etc)

A cop can say he smelled weed coming from your vehicle and then search(how are you going to disprove that in court?) if he finds it.. He was right if he doesn't because there was nothing to be found its just brushed under the rug.

There is a video on YT of a kid video recording at a DUI checkpoint and ended up getting his car searched by a dog and you can see the handler of the dog giving commands to make the dog act a certain way to trigger a "Positive" they ripped his car apart, never found any drugs. Sent him on his way. With how sharp drug dogs sense of smell / training is... there should be no reason for a "False positive" as they call them in law enforcement. I'm sorry but a dog's nose is not programmed to alert on a positive scent for a drug when there isnt a microgram of anything in the car, nor has there ever been. Doesn't work that way.

Stuff like that i consider to be constitutional violations but meh, what do i know.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #32
forzaforreal
Lurk

Quote:
Jay-z lied to me "Well, do you mind if I look around the car a little bit?"
Well, my glove compartment is locked, so is the trunk in the back
And I know my rights, so you gon' need a warrant for that
That's not a lie. If it's locked, they'll need a warrant unless you willingly open it for them. As long as you don't act like a complete buffoon, they won't have reasonable suspicion.

There was a couple of doctors here recently, husband and wife, accused of selling drugs. The police came to investigate at their house, and when they got there, they found large, locked safes. The couple claimed they didn't know where the keys were, so they got off basically with a verbal warning.

Quote:
A cop can say he smelled weed coming from your vehicle and then search(how are you going to disprove that in court?)
From what I've seen, if you calmly state that you don't smell anything, it seems to be your best bet in this situation.

Lots of YT videos on this subject. I can't remember the name of the uploader, but some are very informative and I would encourage anyone to watch them.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #33
Pave High
(..+

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzaforreal View Post
From what I've seen, if you calmly state that you don't smell anything, it seems to be your best bet in this situation.
Yea but thats where it gets tricky. It's your word of the word of a LEO. No matter how upstanding of a citizen you are thats a battle you lose 7/10.

Imagine if you had a really small bag of weed (talking like a gram or two) under your passenger seat and he pulls the "i smell weed" thing, and finds it. then he can be like.. see told ya so.

I mean its never a good idea to drive around with illegals in your car, I'm just saying no way is he smelling that but you're still going to jail and you cant use the "no way did he smell that" defense, yet if its the same situation and you don't have weed and he searches and comes up with nothing he'll send you on your way. It's a totally slanted system because every time something like that happens there needs to be suits for unlawful searches. (as in the case with the dog handler forcing a false positive from the dog)

Edit: Heres the video i spoke of

http://youtu.be/w-WMn_zHCVo

Sorry it's not letting me embed
Old 09-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #34
forzaforreal
Lurk

The YT user I was thinking of is named Flex Your Rights. Not sure if he is a law student or just fairly knowledgable, but several of his videos make some good points. The video I had in mind is titled "What if Police Say They Smell Marijuana?" Fitting for this convo, right?
Old 09-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #35
gjkissel2

Quote:
The YT user I was thinking of is named Flex Your Rights. Not sure if he is a law student or just fairly knowledgable, but several of his videos make some good points. The video I had in mind is titled "What if Police Say They Smell Marijuana?" Fitting for this convo, right?
i remember that video
but honestly seeing as how im still a new driver and im a nervous wreck, i could never defend myself that well lol meh

but yeah either way, the best bet to play with the cops is always be nice, as it really can help you out, it'll show that you're a reasonable person, i can name at least 2 times by a cop expecting a punk kid but finding me and realizing im nice and understanding, i got let off with a warning lol

Quote:
Old 09-18-2013, 05:53 AM   #36
2KGTS

"Yes, sir."

"No, sir."

"Thank you, Officer."

Your three most helpful phrases when pulled over, regardless of age or situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
It's like sex with your cute but chubby cousin that one time when you had both had too much wine at Christmas dinner. You know it's wrong, you're not stopping, and you really regret it the next morning. That is poutine, Canada does this 24x7x365. Canada are a bunch of sick bi-lingual metric cousin f*ckers.
2KGTS is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:14 AM   #37
Jacobgt

Quote:
That's not a lie. If it's locked, they'll need a warrant unless you willingly open it for them. As long as you don't act like a complete buffoon, they won't have reasonable suspicion.

There was a couple of doctors here recently, husband and wife, accused of selling drugs. The police came to investigate at their house, and when they got there, they found large, locked safes. The couple claimed they didn't know where the keys were, so they got off basically with a verbal warning.
Got ya makes sense thanks.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #38
Pave High
(..+

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KGTS View Post
"Yes, sir."

"No, sir."

"Thank you, Officer."

Your three most helpful phrases when pulled over, regardless of age or situation.
Yep. that and try to be sociable, treat them like a girls parents you're trying to impress. Any notions of hostility / fear will get you jammed up.

fast