drum to disc conversion - Page 2 - NewCelica.org Forum

Install Guides Parts Catalog Gallery Tech Info

Go Back   NewCelica.org Forum > Site Information & Features > NewCelica.org - Install Guides >    Suspension / Brakes

Support NCO
Google

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 09:58 PM   #51
2k1soldierboy

I managed to pick up a 00 gts axle, do I even need it for this mod?
2k1soldierboy is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2008, 09:58 AM   #52
RyanBrenden

why does it say on step #8 replace heat shield and exhaust?
RyanBrenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:07 PM   #53
RyanBrenden

Im needing new brakes for my celica. it has front disc rear drum. ive already had leswab order the parts. my dad says i should put the brakes on myself. ive already taken auto classes in high school and ive taken apart drum brakes and disc brakes but it has been like a year is it very dificult or do all i have to do is put new pads on? my brakes arent even making a squeaking sound yet so i dont think they'll need to be machined.
RyanBrenden is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2009, 07:50 PM   #54
vtjkychan

So...
I found a deal with a FULL set of brake system from a 00 GTS WITH ABS.
For the rear... I got more that what I needed for this swap. Even got the hubs with ABS connectors on them, with speed sensor cables... but of course, no ABS module hehe.

Anyways, the brake is so dam dirty. They're pretty much 30% bathing with dirt and red paint are still on the backing plate and calipers. Gonna have to clean them up and sand them down.

The problem I have now is to identify the bad/defective parts on the set so I can replace them before installing everything on. So far, pads are still new, rotors look like they would be good again after getting in touch with the pads. Also, if I replace the entire set to GTS bearing with ABS, will there be a problem?

Surprisingly, NONE of the auto shop or brake shop would dare to do this conversion for me 0.o. They kept saying that it is too much liability... it's like they're saying that there WILL BE a problem. =/ I don't have all the proper tools at home to do it. No big jack, no air gun, no sockets, and I'm clueless on bleeding the brake. Thought they would do a better job since they're more far experienced with the brake parts than I do...

How many of you have done this conversion and DID NOT have ANY problem at braking? Please be honest and let me know. The ones that did this before, how are ya?

I'll probably gonna get on this during spring break.

sig was edited. sig size limit is 500x200 @ 75kb.
vtjkychan is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:20 AM   #55
Singlez

I done this conversion and my god... This is an awsome upgrade and something im really proud of... I got no problem after the install and my GT brake as a new 2009 car... If I done it, you can do it...
Singlez is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #56
vtjkychan

Thanks for replying
I'll be ordering new set of rotors first before I proceed with this xD

Old 03-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #57
CooBlueDAB

Ive done similar brake jobs... This seems very easy to me, feel free to PM if you have problems... I just ordered the parts from a junkyard myself... Ill probably take a week to clean them up before doing an install. But, I can walk you through any difficulties you have. Just make sure to have your bolts ready, if you are not sure about right quality etc.. get them from Toyota, but check on length, should just be the same 4 bolts each side from a gts...

If you do have difficulty.. it will be rust. The rest is silly, and bleeding, is not hard, just time consuming. Remember to drive VERY slow at first when you test them out. just to make sure it is gripping and you don't go out normally and find yourself needing brakes only to find out you have air and no brakes.
CooBlueDAB is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:53 PM   #58
CooBlueDAB

here is one last question though, Im doing this on my 2000 gt, with 2000 gts, or 2001 gts rears, I forget... in either case... Is there any reason to upgrade the front disks and calipers or whatever is needed to the larger size? or is it fine just the way they are at the smaller size?
CooBlueDAB is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:51 AM   #59
Singlez

There is no reason to change the front calipers or your front disk to a larger size one(big brake kit if I understand properly your question)... You can do it. But if you do, you will have to do the same at your rear ones... Don't ever install big brake kit at the front without big brake kit at the rear... Well I saw some people with that kind of brake config but personnally, I don't recommend that...
Old 04-15-2009, 09:24 AM   #60
vtjkychan

^ I think u didn't know that GTS front calipers and rotors are bigger than GT.
In fact, even the rear rotors are bigger than GT front rotors

Old 04-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #61
Singlez

Hum, weird thing, I think I didn't understand the question. I ordered GT-S front pads and rotors and they fit on my 2003 GT without changing my GT calliper...And when I'm looking my car right now, the rear rotors dont seams to be bigger than the front ones! What Im missing???

Last edited by Singlez; 04-15-2009 at 11:50 AM..
Old 04-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #62
vtjkychan

I don't get what you're saying...
it's not that the rotors wouldn't fit the GT calipers cuz only the diameter of the rotors were bigger.

it's the same idea like how you said do not install BBK for the front if you won't have BBK for the rear.

If you just gonna replace the rear disc on the GT with GTS and keep the front as is... you'll see that the rear disc diameter is bigger. Never heard anyone said anything about having problem with such set up. But I rather have the front rotors with same diameter and the right calipers for that.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:36 PM   #63
OnEBaDMuThA

Ok I'm just wondering where did you guys get the new bolts from. I don't really want to go to the stealership for a good set of bolts, but if there is no other choice so be it.
OnEBaDMuThA is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:26 AM   #64
widegt2000

my ? is . is it possible to use the same drum hub and just add the rotors and the caliper and the longer bolts or do i have to buy the gts hub.
widegt2000 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:42 PM   #65
bunkkaws84

Quote:
Originally Posted by widegt2000 View Post
my ? is . is it possible to use the same drum hub and just add the rotors and the caliper and the longer bolts or do i have to buy the gts hub.

Just did this and what a pain. And yes you have to buy the GTS hub because is has the caliper bracket on it that you need.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:23 PM   #66
bunkkaws84

So just did this mod and what a bi*ch!!!

I consider myself an OK mechanic and this took awhile.

Let me make some corrections to the other members comments, not the write up. (used the write up and very helpful)

1. You can NOT swap out the e-brake lines. The GTS uses a different bracket and the e-brake line has a different connector. (learned the hard way and 3 hours later)

2. Its best to get the knuckles with the plate. In my case the plate rusted to the knuckle and it was better to unbolt the whole thing and do the swap.

3. Make sure you have the brake lines. The guy I bought them from did not send the brake lines and the GT brake lines will NOT connect to the GTS properly. (they do screw in but the brake fluid leaks out) Also learned this the hard way.

Any other questions or so feel free to PM me.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #67
TRDoug

^I have the parts to do this, I got Goodridge stainless lines for a GTS to swap out all my lines with. Good upgrade I think, especially if you don't get lines with the conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtjkychan View Post
^ I think u didn't know that GTS front calipers and rotors are bigger than GT.
In fact, even the rear rotors are bigger than GT front rotors
Not sure what year they changed them but the front brake systems on GT and GTS where made the same. I have an '02 and the rotors and pads are the same for a GTS. The rear discs on any year are not bigger than the front. Most systems are biased to the front, so discs on most cars are bigger, even with BBK's the fronts are generally larger. Unless you've got a pretty high end exotic sports car and the discs are all the same.

I can't wait to do the swap. Just gotta get my car back from the body shop and paint all my calipers.

Injen CAI|H&R SPRINGS|Tokico HP|APR Strutbrace|MWR Flywheel|ACT Street Clutch|TWM SS|Bronzoil shifter cable & base bushings|custom 2.25" midpipe & Invidia N1|Bronze 18x8 TSW Thruxton/TOYO Extensa HP 225/40zr18|Ichiban Pedals|TRD Fogs|TYC Red tails|Power Slot/EBC Greenstuff|Eclipse
TRDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:34 PM   #68
vtjkychan

Just got this done last week. A few things to note.
You will just need
1. the 8 new bolts, I bought it at a hardware store 10bucks
2. the dust cover plate of GTS + its hub
3. gts rear calipers
4. rear pads and rotors.
The rest: e-brakes and wheel bearings were not necessary at all. The shop swapped out my oem bearing to use on the GTS hub. Also, they used the e-brakes from the car to connect to the hub.

I can't believe it could be done cheaper in parts. Thought it was an insane deal to have full front and back braking system for 300. Then to find out they used only the hub, dust cover, and calipers only.

As for the rotors, beware of a few things:
1. front GT rotors are SMALLER THAN GTS
2. rear GTS rotors are BIGGER THAN GT front rotors ( I have the set up right now so don't even argue with me)
3. front GTS calipers WILL NOT FIT GT front rotors
4. front GTS calipers are BIGGER than GT front calipers.

Everything is ok right now, just gotta buy better rotors and pads.
Pics will be up after I got everything

Old 05-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #69
TRDoug

So if the GTS FRONT brakes are larger than the GT, how come I go to Tirerack.com and pull up Rotors for the front for GT and GTS and the part numbers are the same for every replacement rotor? Oh yeah and the rotors in the parts catalog on this forum are also the same for front rotors on the GT and GTS.

I've got Powerslot rotors, front and rear for a GTS and they fit on my GT. The rear STOCK rotors that came with the conversion and my NEW POWERSLOT rotors are in NO WAY bigger than the rotors I've got on the front.

I don't want to cause a big fight, I'm just saying what I've got. I do know the earlier year GT had smaller brakes. What year is your car? Mine is an '02. It has the same front brakes as the GTS.

I really want to know how they used the GT ebrake cables too, I don't want to take mine off if I don't have too, and I've only got the driver's side intact. I don't want to but a new one, if I can use the ones already on the car.

Injen CAI|H&R SPRINGS|Tokico HP|APR Strutbrace|MWR Flywheel|ACT Street Clutch|TWM SS|Bronzoil shifter cable & base bushings|custom 2.25" midpipe & Invidia N1|Bronze 18x8 TSW Thruxton/TOYO Extensa HP 225/40zr18|Ichiban Pedals|TRD Fogs|TYC Red tails|Power Slot/EBC Greenstuff|Eclipse
Old 05-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #70
vtjkychan

eh, I'm not fighting, just telling it so you guys can save some money and trouble. I planned it all out just to find myself stuck and suck to have partial of everything done correctly.

I got a 2000 GT. For your car, the front rotors size are probably upgraded to bigger rotors. As for the rear rotors, I think there's no changes but according to the rotors size I just ordered from EBC, my front GTS (i'm upgrading to GTS front backing plate + calipers so the rotors will look even out) rotors are 10.8" while the rear rotors are 10.6".

As for the e-brake cable, I just told the mechanic that the pple on the forum did it and he should be able to do it. I, then, left to do some errand so I didn't get to see how he installed them on so I can't say anything about it. And trust me, u do not want to take it off. I was there to see my rear brake assembly uninstalled and it was complicated along with some unique tools required to remove the parts. But yeah, that's all I gotta say.

Now I'm waiting for my rotors. Gonna paint the GTS calipers and backing plate while I'm at it and hope to get everything installed next week to finish off this mod. xD

Old 05-07-2009, 09:22 PM   #71
OnEBaDMuThA

I just did the swap and my right rear passenger is squealing. I would like to know if anyone is having the same problem.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:52 AM   #72
vtjkychan

did u put new rotors and pads?
if u did, check the brake dust shield to see if it is touching the rotor.
OR it could be the shim, check if it is loose or even there.
other than that, I have no idea

Old 05-08-2009, 08:16 AM   #73
OnEBaDMuThA

I checked it this morning and it was the damn plate touching the rotor! Kind of stupid because it's new and now it has the circle line on the back rotor, but anyways I appreciate the help...
Old 05-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #74
OnEBaDMuThA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDoug View Post
Not sure what year they changed them but the front brake systems on GT and GTS where made the same. I have an '02 and the rotors and pads are the same for a GTS. The rear discs on any year are not bigger than the front. Most systems are biased to the front, so discs on most cars are bigger, even with BBK's the fronts are generally larger. Unless you've got a pretty high end exotic sports car and the discs are all the same.
I HAVE AN 05 GT AND MY FRONT IS BIGGER THAN THE REAR ROTOR AND THAT SHOULD BE NORMAL BECAUSE OF THE FRONT IS DOING MOST OF THE BRAKING.

ALSO IF ANYONE IS LOOKING FOR SOME GOOD BOLTS THAT'S RATED AT 170,000 PSI TENSILE STRENGTH (ARP) GO TO ALLENSFASTENERS.COM ($1.65 EACH), 8.8 THAT YOU GET ON THE PARTS STORE JUST DONT WORK ON THE CONVERSION. I BOUGHT 8 AND THEY ALL FIT DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY WERE SAYING ABOUT 2 DIFFERENT SIZES!

AS FOR ADJUSTING THE REAR BRAKE GO TO YOUTUBE AND TYPE REAR BRAKE ADJUSTMENT DRUM AND ROTOR SHOULD BE THE SAME..

FOR PAINTING I WENT WITH G2 PAINT CALIPER KIT AND I TELL YOU IT'S BETTER THAN DUPLICOLR HAD IT ON MY 2ND GEN RX7 AND AFTER A WHILE IT LOOKS OLD AND FADED. I HAD MY G2 ON MY FRONT FOR A MONTH AND IT'S STILL LOOKS FRESH AND SHINY..

I PERSONALLY WANT TO THANK COOLBLUEDAB INSISTING FOR ME TO GET A 12.9 GRADE METRIC BOLTS... IT SHOULD BE FINE TO GET10.9 METRIC BOLT=EQUAL TO 8.8 SAE.

Last edited by OnEBaDMuThA; 05-08-2009 at 09:02 AM..
Old 05-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #75
TRDoug

^do you have a part # for those bolts? I want to make sure I have really good ones before I do the swap.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #76
OnEBaDMuThA

Part #0535 $1.65 ($.75 for a 40 MM long) so $19.20 for 8 plus ship $11 but it's all worth it.. They also have stainless steel for $3.68 a piece #0543 (they rate it 170,000 psi on their website). It's all up to you..

Last edited by OnEBaDMuThA; 05-09-2009 at 09:32 AM..
Old 05-09-2009, 08:35 AM   #77
TRDoug

awesome, thanks! I still need to get new ebrake cables too, the guy I bought the parts off of didn't tell me one was cut off at the baking plate

Old 05-09-2009, 09:36 AM   #78
OnEBaDMuThA

The swap is pretty easy and don't forget to buy brake fluid because you will to need to fill it up after you bleed the brake. If you don't your brake light will keep poppin up..
Old 05-09-2009, 09:42 AM   #79
TRDoug

OH YEAH! haha, dot 3 or 4? I'd like to do a whole fluid swap with Motul, but I think I'll just get some Toyota fluid My Goodridge SS lines prolly will be the biggest difference and I won't be braking hard enough or long enough to need the motul.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:43 PM   #80
webbyboy

Quote:
eh, I'm not fighting, just telling it so you guys can save some money and trouble. I planned it all out just to find myself stuck and suck to have partial of everything done correctly.

I got a 2000 GT. For your car, the front rotors size are probably upgraded to bigger rotors. As for the rear rotors, I think there's no changes but according to the rotors size I just ordered from EBC, my front GTS (i'm upgrading to GTS front backing plate + calipers so the rotors will look even out) rotors are 10.8" while the rear rotors are 10.6".

As for the e-brake cable, I just told the mechanic that the pple on the forum did it and he should be able to do it. I, then, left to do some errand so I didn't get to see how he installed them on so I can't say anything about it. And trust me, u do not want to take it off. I was there to see my rear brake assembly uninstalled and it was complicated along with some unique tools required to remove the parts. But yeah, that's all I gotta say.

Now I'm waiting for my rotors. Gonna paint the GTS calipers and backing plate while I'm at it and hope to get everything installed next week to finish off this mod. xD
only 00 GT has smaller front rotors/calipers. 01 onwards GT/GTS shares the s ame front brakes
webbyboy is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:50 AM   #81
irindale

hi all,

i've been driving a celica GT (SS1 we call it in our country) for the past 2 years, but i'm still very new to the technical aspects of the ride.

recently, i've bought a set of ST205 brakes consisting of only the rotors and calipers. since it's without the knuckles / spindle / brackets, i'm wondering how difficult is it to:

1) convert the rear drums into disc brakes
2) installing a larger set of rotors to the conversion

thanks for taking the time to read this, i hope for some kind soul to explain the procedures to install the brakes.
irindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:17 PM   #82
2k1soldierboy

hey everybody

finally completed this conversion however ran into a questionable problem, figured I'd ask the community.

As my rear wheels spin, I get a constant ticking/roulette (as if your playing the roulette at the casino) type of sound. So I took everything off (ugh) and tried to figure out if my rotors were scraping the pads or backing plate --> not the case, and its definitely not the bearings either. Its speed sensitive meaning whenever I come to a stop whether gradual or sudden, it stops as well.

Took it into my trusted shop and they couldn't figure it out either, but I was glad to hear its safe to drive on however, the sound is constant enough to drive me insane..

Ordering new hubs could possibly solve the problem, >:[.. but the shop said it didn't seem to be the case. If anyone out there ran into a similar hiccup with this mod, please do recommend anything and everything you might think is the issue, and much appreciative to whomever is magically still reading this old thread.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:47 PM   #83
gumber

Send a message via ICQ to gumber
Quote:
Just got this done last week. A few things to note.
You will just need
1. the 8 new bolts, I bought it at a hardware store 10bucks
2. the dust cover plate of GTS + its hub
3. gts rear calipers
4. rear pads and rotors.
The rest: e-brakes and wheel bearings were not necessary at all. The shop swapped out my oem bearing to use on the GTS hub. Also, they used the e-brakes from the car to connect to the hub.

I can't believe it could be done cheaper in parts. Thought it was an insane deal to have full front and back braking system for 300. Then to find out they used only the hub, dust cover, and calipers only.

As for the rotors, beware of a few things:
1. front GT rotors are SMALLER THAN GTS
2. rear GTS rotors are BIGGER THAN GT front rotors ( I have the set up right now so don't even argue with me)
3. front GTS calipers WILL NOT FIT GT front rotors
4. front GTS calipers are BIGGER than GT front calipers.

Everything is ok right now, just gotta buy better rotors and pads.
Pics will be up after I got everything
I hate to break this to you vtjkychan... but anyways from EBC online reference... also I think you'll find toyotas oem # match as well... I have no idea what brakes you got on you'res

PRODUCT: Disc Brake Rotor
VEHICLE: 2002 TOYOTA CELICA GT 1.8L : : L4 : GAS FI : MFI Normal R : 1ZZFE
OPTIONS: None Selected
PREFERENCES: None Selected

3 Parts Found
Part # Description
GD7110 Rotor; 3GD EBC Sport; Set of Two; Front; 10.8 in. Dia.;
UPR7110 Rotor; Ultimax Replacement; Each; Front; 10.8 in. Dia.;
USR7110 USR EBC Sport Rotor Kit; Front; 10.8 in. Dia.; Set of Two;

Toyota # 43512

PRODUCT: Disc Brake Rotor
VEHICLE: 2002 TOYOTA CELICA GTS 1.8L : : L4 : GAS FI : MFI Normal 2ZZGE
OPTIONS: None Selected
PREFERENCES: Position: Front;

3 Parts Found
Part # Description
GD7110 Rotor; 3GD EBC Sport; Set of Two; Front; 10.8 in. Dia.;
UPR7110 Rotor; Ultimax Replacement; Each; Front; 10.8 in. Dia.;
USR7110 USR EBC Sport Rotor Kit; Front; 10.8 in. Dia.; Set of Two;

Toyota # 43512

... As for the hubs they're also the same... you don't need them.
gumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:13 AM   #84
2KGTrd
Turbo 2zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnEBaDMuThA View Post
Ok I'm just wondering where did you guys get the new bolts from. I don't really want to go to the stealership for a good set of bolts, but if there is no other choice so be it.
just go to any auto store, napa, advanced anyone who has #10 hardened bolts.
2KGTrd is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:21 AM   #85
2KGTrd
Turbo 2zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDoug View Post
OH YEAH! haha, dot 3 or 4? I'd like to do a whole fluid swap with Motul, but I think I'll just get some Toyota fluid My Goodridge SS lines prolly will be the biggest difference and I won't be braking hard enough or long enough to need the motul.
7th gen's are dot 3 brake fluid
Old 01-08-2010, 08:08 AM   #86
2KGTrd
Turbo 2zz

What's the difference between this conversion and the ABS conversion?

I know that the hubs are different, is there anything else?
What would be required besides the original parts list?
Old 02-04-2010, 12:04 AM   #87
lilmexicanoboi
Paint Guru

Send a message via AIM to lilmexicanoboi Send a message via MSN to lilmexicanoboi
can you go straight from a drum brake system to an aftermarket brake rotor like a slotted one or something? or do you need some stock pieces?

and what are the benefits of SS brake lines? i hear some ppl have those...

^Sold! :'(
Now: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT WRB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateens4 View Post
cop: why loud exhaust?
me: because race car
lilmexicanoboi is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:44 PM   #88
2k1soldierboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmexicanoboi View Post
can you go straight from a drum brake system to an aftermarket brake rotor like a slotted one or something? or do you need some stock pieces?

and what are the benefits of SS brake lines? i hear some ppl have those...
you can after the conversion (if you want new rotors anyways, tell whomever you are buying the drum to disc conversion from to not ship the rotors) I went with stoptech drilled/slotted rotors since I purchased their ss brake lines (great combo, more stiffness/durability and less play than factory lines, +1 to appearance) bf goodrich lines are also a very popular choice.

you can also be hot-sh!t and go bbk but obviously costs more. if you are thinking about upgrading the components separately, read some articles on pressure vs. torque to help you make a better decision
Old 03-07-2010, 08:52 AM   #89
johnnyd943

Are The Stock GT e-Brake Cables Compatible/Adaptable?

Did we ever find out......
Are The Stock GT e-brake cables Compatible/Adaptable for the conversion?

I have the GTS e-brake Cables that came with my newly acquired 02 GTS-brakes but will not be able to compare the two until I have it all apart. It would save allot of extra work to utilize the GT Cables.

Also.... The breeder screws are corroded on.... any idea on what will help break them free?
johnnyd943 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:30 PM   #90
Trm

GTS cables have a smaller cable stop on them then the gt drum cables. In order to use the existing gt cables you have to grind down the cable stop so it fits in the ebrake arm. The bolts holding the cable to the body were so rusted on my 2000 that it was easier to make the gt cables fit the new setup. Most of the bolts were going to simply snap if I ever did get the socket on them.
Trm is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #91
silveroak

I've done mine two weeks ago. Everything said here holds. For what's it worth, for my 03 GT the shop reused GTS e-brake cable that came with fathorsejr conversion parts. But I don't pretend to understand the subtle differences that may exist between GTS and GT breaking systems of different model years and don't want to add to confusion.

I convinced a Monroe shop that works on my celi to do it. The manger/master tech was hesitant at first but after being assured that all new parts will be there and printing this guide, we agreed that this is one of the simplest conversions in his experience. Props to Toyota I guess for making it all compatible.

I replaced all rotors, calipers, pads and lines on all 4 doing this, also replaced fluid with Castrol GT-LMA

lessons learned

- Check or replace bearings that come with the parts! One of mine turned out to be real bad. Ba-ba-ba-ba $$$ going going gone!

- If you are replacing break lines, handle new ones with utmost care! I don't know what I did to bang or scratch it, but one of them would leak through washer joint no matter what. Kept old one on driver side front.

- If you are buying new e-brake shoes make sure to get the GTS e-brake shoes not the damn GT shoes. Triple check part #s.

- Paint the damn calipers and read disc outer drum surfaces! The drum surfaces will start rusting day One, and the protective effect of coatings on calipers leaves much to be desired. I am currently in a losing battle against rust on those applying near-bedroom amounts of lubricants and greases. Of course only if you care about appearance, otherwise that rust does not matter.

it certainly stops better now. I don't get that immediate, strong bite experienced with some new cars I got to drive, but with some pedal travel it's sure stopping now, in a straight line. Pads are Akebono.

Last edited by silveroak; 09-08-2010 at 08:26 PM..
silveroak is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #92
2000celicagtmg
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to 2000celicagtmg
Hey....first of all....decent writeup...I scored the entire system from a bone yard for 140.00 , nice to know that a person can find stuff relatively cheap out there if they look.will be cleaning everything and getting new discs soon and installing the new brakes soon.
2000celicagtmg is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #93
2000celicagtmg
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to 2000celicagtmg
RYANBRENDEN........look through bone yards...thats what I did and came away with almost new brake system/with e cables and struts for my 02 gt for about 170.00....they came off a 02 gts and even the drum breaks are new....SCORE !!!!!!! as far as doing it....do it yourself...its real easy and there is a write up for it on here too
2000celicagtmg is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #94
sexyrexy89

disc to drum conversion.

All you need is the backing plates, calipers n rotors. Yes the hubs are the same. I don't know why someone thinks they need longer bolts the ones that come with the GTS hubs are the same. I know because the junkyard took the bolts out of the suspension and gave me the spindles too! Never could understand why the put the same cheesy little brake that a 1986 Tercel had on such a superior car! Oh yeah bleeding the brakes front and rear and replacing the 10year old fluid is a good idea.
sexyrexy89 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #95
I am Anonymous
The Best User

can you use the rear disk set up from a different car? none of the junk yards around me have any gts s
I am Anonymous is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #96
lilmexicanoboi
Paint Guru

Send a message via AIM to lilmexicanoboi Send a message via MSN to lilmexicanoboi
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Anonymous View Post
can you use the rear disk set up from a different car? none of the junk yards around me have any gts s
I've heard of some people fitting Camry (not sure what year/model) rear disc brakes on the Celica, but I think it needs some modification to fit. As far as how much modification, I have no clue

^Sold! :'(
Now: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT WRB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateens4 View Post
cop: why loud exhaust?
me: because race car
lilmexicanoboi is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #97
theguy216

Send a message via AIM to theguy216
Yeah, think i remember hearing that as well. I don't remember the year but I thought the only modification required was the parking brake cable. Not certain on that one though....

2013 Raven Black Scion FR-S - Unmolested, for now
theguy216 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #98
GTracer02

Hey does anybody have any recommendations on a good conversion kits. Just OEM for now.
GTracer02 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #99
andreww

I tried doing this today, but my hubs are rusted as all hell into the knuckle, and then, while trying to take off the knuckle, I snapped a bolt that is hella rusted in. Tomorrow is going to be a long one...
Old 09-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #100
chrisrodrigui01

Doing this in two weeks!
chrisrodrigui01 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote