NewCelica.org Forum banner

Very worried about my tranny 02 GT-S 6 speed

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  dizzycel 
#1 ·
Hey guys its been a while since my last post. I wanted to ask you guys for your opinions on some things I am experiencing with my transmission. I have had the car for about 7-8 months now and I've put on 11,000 miles, now it's at 144,445. I still have much trouble shifting smoothly. I have a very hard time finding which gear to select after neutral coasting (which I do a lot of). And my gears grind every single downshift that I do not *double clutch* and rev match. If I only rev match they will grind. This is very bothering as I do not want to double clutch EVERY SINGLE downshift. What's more every shift is always notchy. I have never felt that buttery shift that I feel on many other manual cars. Why is my gearbox so prone to grinding? I literally have to focus 50% of my attention on shifting the celica to make it smooth(ish) and not feel rough.

Also when downshifting, if I blip the throttle too hard and it goes 1-2krpms higher than the "perfect rev match rpm"(just made that up) I encounter a lot of resistance putting the car into the selected gear and I have to really jam it in there. I just have never driven a car for 8 months and still had so much trouble. Some days I consider selling the car just because of the stress this g**d**n gearbox is causing me.

Any help or advice is very much appreciated! Let me know if you experience any of this. I know the celicas are known for pretty notchy shifters but how bad is it really for most? Mine as a (barely) audible "shiiienk!" Almost every up shift. Is any of this normal? I drove a 91 celica ST before this, and a b18 civic before that, both 5 speeds, and I mastered those in like a week each. Why do I have so much trouble on this car?

See less See more
#2 ·
Well im not expert but to me it sounds like all your synchros are either blown or your gear oil is low....a low amount of gear oil will make it loud also. Maybe try putting some redline synthetic MT90 into your trans and see if that helps. the 5 speed trans take 1.9-2 quarts and the 6 speeds take 2.4 quarts.

heres the guide i used to change mine
http://www.celicahobby.com/forums/u...l-Manual-Gear-Transmission-How-To-Change.html

#4 ·
Can't disagree with anything here. Easy first check is fluid.

#5 ·
What labor prices have you guys seen for rebuilds on our cars? Also how much down time would I be looking at? Should I attempt this myself? I'm fairly mechanically inclined and a fast learner but I've never attempted a project that big. I will say it is possible to shift fairly smoothly with minimal notchiness and zero grind but it takes extra work and focus

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.