How much Boost you can and should run - Page 2 - NewCelica.org Forum

Install Guides Parts Catalog Gallery Tech Info

Go Back   NewCelica.org Forum > Celica Discussion > Forced Induction & Nitrous

Forced Induction & Nitrous Turbo, S/C, Nitrous Posts Go Here.

Support NCO
Google

Old 10-13-2007, 07:43 AM   #51
Boosted2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ronin
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrcelicagt00
so there is still no record of failing rods due to hp?
Lotus motor sports had rod failure with 350bph>310rwhp..this car has to have 350hp for the entire race not just 12sec.
Hes talking about the 1ZZ I believe.
We specialize in Motor builds, tuning, custom fabrication, high end / high HP engines, intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds, suspension, custom wiring, custom turbos, tuning, etc. We can get any part you want, usually for less than you would expect!

WWW.DDPerformanceResearch.com
Boosted2.0 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2007, 08:39 AM   #52
slvrcelicagt00

Send a message via AIM to slvrcelicagt00
ok that seemed low if it was for the 2zz
slvrcelicagt00 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:17 AM   #53
the ronin

The 2ZZ rods have failed...remember it's all in the tune...if you throw detonation into the tune **** will happen......remember tune for the race....12sec or 24hrs
the ronin is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2007, 09:37 AM   #54
slvrcelicagt00

Send a message via AIM to slvrcelicagt00
yeah but I am only concerned with a tuned 2zz
slvrcelicagt00 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 11:03 AM   #55
Boosted2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ronin
The 2ZZ rods have failed...remember it's all in the tune...if you throw detonation into the tune **** will happen......remember tune for the race....12sec or 24hrs
yeah but they haven't failed in normal street use. If you're running 24 hour enduros then a lot of the stock parts are probably a poor choice.
We specialize in Motor builds, tuning, custom fabrication, high end / high HP engines, intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds, suspension, custom wiring, custom turbos, tuning, etc. We can get any part you want, usually for less than you would expect!

Old 12-11-2008, 10:27 PM   #56
nokrome racing

boosted, my question to you would be specifically what turbo system would you run for a 2zzge engine swapped into a 5spd 1zzfe setup. i bought the car about 8 months ago. 60k on the engine and about 133k on the car. im questioning whther or not it would be safe to run a turbo on my engine with the amount of wear its been through. your tagline says go fast, ask me how. im offering up my sacrifice to those with more knowledge than i, id like to build my lil celica into a high 12 1/4 mile car. im open to suggestions and ideas, help me out!
nokrome racing is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:28 AM   #57
Boosted2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokrome racing View Post
boosted, my question to you would be specifically what turbo system would you run for a 2zzge engine swapped into a 5spd 1zzfe setup. i bought the car about 8 months ago. 60k on the engine and about 133k on the car. im questioning whther or not it would be safe to run a turbo on my engine with the amount of wear its been through. your tagline says go fast, ask me how. im offering up my sacrifice to those with more knowledge than i, id like to build my lil celica into a high 12 1/4 mile car. im open to suggestions and ideas, help me out!

Step 1 is to read the turbo FAQ and follow all the links.

If you want high 12s you aren't going to hit it on stock internals - you're going to need Mahle pistons at a minimum in addition to the turbo kit, and there are a few other basic safety upgrades (oil pump, valves, valve springs, race bearings) you should consider as well.

Yes, you can safely turbo your stock engine as long as its healthy, but only at relatively low power levels. The stock pistons are on the weak side and won't support the kind of power you will need to make mid 12s.

but all this info is in the FAQ - start there.

If I wanted a RELIABLE 12 second drag Celica this would be MY formula:

Step 1 - LSD, lightweight 15" rims and slicks - learn to launch and drive car prior to turbo. Send Ronin money to get in on E153 tranny project - make sure you get one with an LSD
Step 2 - Heavy duty clutch and lightweight flywheel
Step 3 - Full suspension - heavy springs, especially in back - set dampers in rear rock hard - you want NO squat at all in the back
Step 4 - strip car - minimize weight
Step 5 - Power FC and wideband O2 sensor - learn to tune car and get it going as fast as you can with your current hardware
Step 6 - buy a beater
Step 7 - buy a spare motor. Build with the following setup:
* Crower rods
* Mahle low compression pistons (you could also go wiseco if you want to go with LR's bombproof bottom end or a sleeved block)
* ARP studs
* MWR ACL race bearings
* MWR springs, valves & retainers
* MWR circuitworx oil pump gears
* MWR oil pan
* ballance bottom end
* Piper stage 2 cams
* New stock water pump
* TRD thermostat
* P&P cylinder head

Step 8 - Once motor is built I would install it and break it in NA. Keep old motor for a spare
Step 9 - buy the following parts from Smaay:
Big boy turbo kit with GT35R or GT40R
Return system with fuel rail
Step 9 b - buy the following from MWR:
900 CC injectors
255 LPH pump
Step 9c - buy a good boost controller somewhere and a J&S safegaurd
Step 9d - get Smaay big boy turbo parts ceramic coated
Step 10 - Install E153 tranny
Step 11 - install turbo kit and fuel system parts
Step 12 - install custom 3" straight through exhaust
Step 13 - tune car.
Step 14 - Install J&S safeguard
Step 15 - go race car and enjoy - you're probably going to need a cage after your first successfull pass.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:24 PM   #58
UniQgTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkers7465 View Post
I just checked his 500whp thread as well as his website and it just says "built engine" but he only mentions the mahle pistons. He makes a point to say that the engine is not sleeved but I dont really know about the rods....
I've talked to the guys at Monkeywrench and they said that they have dynoed a celica with stock cams up to 500whp and havnt messed them up
UniQgTs is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:15 AM   #59
Smaay

new record, 2 hours 38 minutes. i had the movies Aliens running in the background and i had the engine out before the credits rolled.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:10 AM   #60
bt216

^!!!!!
bt216 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #61
wel_565

...I must have seen/heard him watch that thing bunch of times ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by celicajonz View Post
i love you.
wel_565 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:01 PM   #62
Markus123

Hi there everyone,

First time posting, I own a T23 Celica EU model and currently working on a engine build for a turbo setup.

I have wiseco 79.5 mm [8.8:1] forged pistons with crowler connecting rods. I am concerned if the engine has to be sleeved to manage later boost levels of around 17-20+ psi. I have already acquired the usual stuff for strengthening the bottom end from MWR e.g. better studs, bearings, new timing chain, almost virgin 1zz-fe crank, new clutch etc... but the challenge i face is with the block. This block was showing signs of piston ring wear [smoking under high acceleration] so i decided to get it rebuilt. Is sleeves mandatory for this application as the OEM bore is 79mm and these pistons are 79.5mm not a big difference i would say.

Main Question: Is the cylinder wall without sleeves able to withstand boost levels of what i am interested in [17-20+ psi [2bar]]and above. Please let me have your opinions as i have to make this decision on monday.

Cheers,

Markus
Markus123 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:48 PM   #63
slotoyo

Ok so i read the first post and wanted to run this set-up by you guys?

So this summer i either planon turboing my celica instead of getting coilovers heres the plan:

Ok so i found a good ebay turbo manifold-http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-1ZZ-2ZZ-Turbo-Exhaust-Manifold-T3-Flange_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ad63be8a7QQitem Z390141307047QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fA ccessories

and i plan on getting a small probaly 60 trim turbo from a local site here or maybe just buy one from ebay( i really dont want to but may have too).

so the plan is that a friend of mine is going to make a custom downpipe and pipiing for the turbo and i provide the manifold, turbo, intercooler, and injectors and bov/wastegate. all that for about $1000. dunno if its possible to find it for all that but yeah. so my questions are

1) should i keep the stock clutch( which is still very strong) or op up and get a stage 1?
2) keep my stock fuel pump since he says its capable of handeling that type of power
3) which are good injectors to run
4) and i plan on onnly putting maybe 7-10 pounds so nothing to crazy since im on stoack will that help me keep my stocks?

so yeah does this sound like a good plan? do you guys think it will work and how are you boost freaks running your setup?
slotoyo is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #64
youngxlos

Send a message via AIM to youngxlos
do not buy any performance or turbo related items on ebay, they are total GARBAGE!!!!

Build thread on the old 2ZZ-GTE
youngxlos is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:08 PM   #65
slotoyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngxlos View Post
do not buy any performance or turbo related items on ebay, they are total GARBAGE!!!!
well probaly the only thing ill buy from ebay is just the manifold thats it unless one of you guys from virginia has one? haha

how bout you youngxlos?
slotoyo is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:28 PM   #66
bt216

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotoyo View Post
well probaly the only thing ill buy from ebay is just the manifold
don't. Contact smaay or mwr.
bt216 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #67
v3bahumut
O_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotoyo View Post
So this summer i either planon turboing my celica instead of getting coilovers heres the plan:
Were the coilovers going to cost you $5,000, because a proper turbo setup if going to run you in that area.

Please please please, read, re-read and read again every sticky in the forced induction and tuning sections.

-2001 GT-T 6 speed-
-2001 4Runner Sr5 4x4-
-1974 VW Baja Beetle-
v3bahumut is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:58 AM   #68
lajlijthoj

I don't know if people have asked this on this forum but how much would the transmissions hold? How about with simple stuff like stage 1 upgraded clutch and lighter flywheel. Somebody told me the c60's snap at around 350hp -_- makes me not confident in doing 300whp goal.
1zz?
2zz?
lajlijthoj is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:20 PM   #69
v3bahumut
O_o

Really depends on how you drive

-2001 GT-T 6 speed-
-2001 4Runner Sr5 4x4-
-1974 VW Baja Beetle-
v3bahumut is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:12 AM   #70
justynsi

Send a message via Skype™ to justynsi
My C56 held 429whp on the dyno for tuning and as a daily driver for 5 months... but after the dyno i took it easy on it until i converted to E153..
Old 06-03-2016, 07:14 AM   #71
carlito

Hi guys.

I have some question about the ECU for my 1ZZ (2001) Celica.

I just ended to prepare and install my new Darton sleeved 1ZZ engine with Wiseco pistons (stock compression ratio), Pauter rods, King bearings, new Toyota kankshaft, ARP stud an bolts, Supertech valves, MWR titanium valve spring retainers, MWR valve springs, etc. etc.

The turbokit is completely custom (custom air2air intercooler, custom oil and water coolers, custom headers and 2,5" exhaust, custom fuel rail and return line, 265lph DeatschWerks fuel pump and 625cc fuel injectors etc. etc.

The turbo charger I'll use is a Garrett GT28RS and i'm going to run it at 0,5-0,6 bar.

I already have a PFC but I decide to don't use it, because fom my point of view it does not look too much reliable.

I'd like to buy a EMS Hydra Nemesis 2.7 (gamma version) with wiring for 1ZZ engines but I'm not sure about some things:

- will original gauge cluster work perfectly (also water temp display)?
- will original automatic AirConditioned work perfectly?

Somewhere, I don't remember where, I read that there could be some problem with water temp display and the AirConditioned.

Thanks a lot!
carlito is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:30 AM   #72
Boosted2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito View Post
Hi guys.

I have some question about the ECU for my 1ZZ (2001) Celica.

I just ended to prepare and install my new Darton sleeved 1ZZ engine with Wiseco pistons (stock compression ratio), Pauter rods, King bearings, new Toyota kankshaft, ARP stud an bolts, Supertech valves, MWR titanium valve spring retainers, MWR valve springs, etc. etc.

The turbokit is completely custom (custom air2air intercooler, custom oil and water coolers, custom headers and 2,5" exhaust, custom fuel rail and return line, 265lph DeatschWerks fuel pump and 625cc fuel injectors etc. etc.

The turbo charger I'll use is a Garrett GT28RS and i'm going to run it at 0,5-0,6 bar.

I already have a PFC but I decide to don't use it, because fom my point of view it does not look too much reliable.

I'd like to buy a EMS Hydra Nemesis 2.7 (gamma version) with wiring for 1ZZ engines but I'm not sure about some things:

- will original gauge cluster work perfectly (also water temp display)?
- will original automatic AirConditioned work perfectly?

Somewhere, I don't remember where, I read that there could be some problem with water temp display and the AirConditioned.

Thanks a lot!
The Nemesis 2.7 is installed in Parallel with the stock ECU. The stock ECU retains control of the temp gauge and the air conditioning, so they still work fine. The 2.7 runs everything else. If you install the 2.7 as a FULL standalone (no stock ecu) then yes - your AC and temp gauge will cease to function.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:38 AM   #73
Smaay

Quote:
with your engine specs you can go double that
Old 06-21-2016, 09:15 AM   #74
carlito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaay View Post
with your engine specs you can go double that
I know, but I'm also looking for reliability because I'd like to use the car in daily drive, and not only for track days.

Any other suggestion for others affordable (Motec it's too expensive) standalone fully manageble ECU tested on T23 celica on market?

Thanks.
carlito is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:38 AM   #75
hughesjasonk
^^ I'm with stupid ^^

Quote:
I know, but I'm also looking for reliability because I'd like to use the car in daily drive, and not only for track days.

Any other suggestion for others affordable (Motec it's too expensive) standalone fully manageble ECU tested on T23 celica on market?

Thanks.
I daily at 12psi

If you're going to daily on boost don't cheap out on your ems

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer View Post
no one likes to spoon feed
hughesjasonk is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:45 AM   #76
Luke352

Vipec, Link, Adaptronic, Haltech, and EMS are all quite capable of running your engine.

One of the key plug and play ecu manufacturers for the Lotus Elise 2zz use an Adaptro ecu in a different case and preconfigured for that setup.
Luke352 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote