For Reference - Nitrious Installs / FAQ - NewCelica.org Forum

Install Guides Parts Catalog Gallery Tech Info

Go Back   NewCelica.org Forum > Celica Discussion > Forced Induction & Nitrous

Forced Induction & Nitrous Turbo, S/C, Nitrous Posts Go Here.

Support NCO
Google

Old 09-15-2002, 09:47 PM   #1
gachamann

For Reference - Nitrious Installs / FAQ

Seen quite a few requests for learning the basics of NOS (hehe), and here's an excellent link...it should give you all the basics!

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/.../nitrous.shtml

And here is a cautionary take of how NOT to install nitrous:
https://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=347363

Notice how he continually ignores advice and doesn't read instructions. Its a good way to burn your car to the ground if you arent lucky.

Last edited by Boosted2.0; 03-20-2013 at 09:25 AM..
gachamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2002, 09:53 PM   #2
GTS LAID

Send a message via ICQ to GTS LAID Send a message via AIM to GTS LAID
thanks for looking out... very awesome post...

GTS LAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 12:31 AM   #3
larryd

Send a message via AIM to larryd Send a message via Yahoo to larryd
yes thankyou for the information.. I may sticky this
larryd is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2002, 09:26 AM   #4
GTS LAID

Send a message via ICQ to GTS LAID Send a message via AIM to GTS LAID
you mean like in a sticky of the week sort of way

lol...

GTS LAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 12:18 AM   #5
larryd

no i mean like a sticky for good since its a common question
Old 09-24-2002, 03:14 PM   #6
ToyoGT
Banned

so who makes a good NOS kit?
ToyoGT is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 11:15 AM   #7
brandon6976

Send a message via MSN to brandon6976
ok I'm sure I'm going to get flammed like crazy for this, but I'd done a little research on Nitrous systems and it seems like a great thing if done properly. Now here is the question. I've done all the research on how it works and how to hook it up and the pro's and con's of wet vs dry and dirt port systems. What I'm unsure of is Do you only run Nitrous through one gear, multiple or say only in 1st gear, 3rd ?? etc etc.

Repping Canada's C7 Performance
brandon6976 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 07:41 PM   #8
charlez13

Send a message via Yahoo to charlez13
as long as you're running WOT then you can run it through any or all of the gears (i think, im still new to nitrous also)

Current Ride: 1979 T/A 6.6L
charlez13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 10:59 PM   #9
BoyRacer

Send a message via ICQ to BoyRacer Send a message via AIM to BoyRacer
good info

2005 RSX Type-S
BoyRacer is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 09:39 AM   #10
NASupraMK3

Quote:
Originally posted by ToyoGT
so who makes a good NOS kit?
who makes a good NOS kit? i think NOS does. (nitrous oxide systems) lol. But Nitrous Express/NX makes some good n20 kits also
NASupraMK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 11:38 PM   #11
knightridergts

Send a message via AIM to knightridergts Send a message via Yahoo to knightridergts
this thread did absolutly nothing for me sorry, i want to know if i can safely run a dry 75 shot with a gt-s because of the high compression ratio the gt-s has i am worried about detonation. i know cars with 10.1/1 compression ratios that have ran a 75 shot safely but our gt-s have a 11.5/1 CR!!!!! and that alone creates more heat due to the presure and can cause detonation easily with any kind of forced induction, your article was good or "their" article but that doesnt tell you much about whats good for "our" cars
Old 10-09-2002, 09:32 AM   #12
Quick_GT-S

Quote:
Originally posted by knightridergts
this thread did absolutly nothing for me sorry, i want to know if i can safely run a dry 75 shot with a gt-s because of the high compression ratio the gt-s has i am worried about detonation. i know cars with 10.1/1 compression ratios that have ran a 75 shot safely but our gt-s have a 11.5/1 CR!!!!! and that alone creates more heat due to the presure and can cause detonation easily with any kind of forced induction, your article was good or "their" article but that doesnt tell you much about whats good for "our" cars
Many people want to know that question including myself, but time will tell. The consensus is that 50 hp is safe, 75 hp is marginal, and 100 hp is very risky. The other thing that is important to remember is NX rates their hp to the wheels and the others to the crank. This is important because if you are running NX, you have more hp than the shot rating. I am running NX 62 shot and it should be giving me about 70hp boost at the crank. I have been running 50 shot for a year and 62 shot for almost a half year. Stock original plugs still look good after 27k miles. Proper setup and use makes the difference. My MR2 had 2 years of 100 shot and was running good with 167k miles when I sold it.
Old 10-09-2002, 08:53 PM   #13
knightridergts

Send a message via AIM to knightridergts Send a message via Yahoo to knightridergts
you ran stock plugs and stock timing with your nitrous set up???
Old 10-10-2002, 08:52 AM   #14
Quick_GT-S

Yes my car is 100% stock, air box, plugs, and timing. I have not seen any problems after 1.5 years. On my old 2ng Gen MR2 I had 1 degree cooler NGK's and the rest stock. The MR2 stock clutch would not hold up to the extra 120hp, but my GTS clutch is holding up to the 70hp just fine.
Old 10-11-2002, 11:44 PM   #15
IRL

Send a message via ICQ to IRL
Since most newbies will read this, hopefully this diagram I made will help a few out there when it comes to wiring their systems up.

If anyone here see's something on the diagram that doesnt look right to them, or see's an area that would need improving...please post back to discuss and possibly change.

In the following diagram the Fuel Pressure Safety switch is placed right after main system "On". If fuel pressure isnt proper...the system wont arm in the first place...also not allowing you to Purge, or use the Bottle Heater. I figure this is probably the safest way to run it...regardless, take a look...tell me what you think.

IRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 12:15 AM   #16
celicauk

I think the diagram is a good basepoint for the wiring, however how are you increasing the fuel pressure? In this system the fuel is provided from the stock rail which as we all know is fed from a regulator on the fuel pump, hence no return line.

What happens here is the fuel pressure varies in the feed line so by adding in a tee to tap off fuel, what you are getting is a varied fuel pressure, it varies a lot BTW. How are you going to balance the nitrous to fuel? As the nitrous is supplied at a constant pressure (well it should be ) the fuel varies and you get an imbalance meaning that you cannot match the jets correctly. You run a risk of running very lean or over rich, neither of which is that good for the engine or cat etc.

What I did on mine was first establish the pressure variance, this was done by fitting a fuel gaage onto the tee and going for a drive, big swings. The answer was to fit an inline regulator, drop the pressure to 10psi, which is well within the capability of the fuel system, and match jets from there.

The results were excellent, my original setup was supposed to be 50 shot, frankly I could have got more power with octane boost. With the regulator in place I got what felt like 50bhp more, probably not but definitely damn close.

As for whats the correct amount to run, my shop is an authorised NOS dealer, we never fit more than 50% of the stock engines power to an engine with stock internals. Beef up your innards and the gloves are off Its also best on high shot system to fit a secondary fuel system purely for the nitrous side of things.

Also note that on any not FI car with an FPR and return line up front, you should really be fitting a dry kit, such as the NOS one, this has a pressure device which adjusts the FPR to give more pressure thereby matching the pressure to the nitrous feed, and it works very well indeed. Unfortunately with the G7 there is no such fuel system available so wet is the only way to go, treat it like an FI car and things should be fine.

As a side note, the setup on my G7 will be direct port, I will also be fitting a secondary fuel feed and return. My car is supercharged.

Simon Smith

Celica Club (UK)
celicauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 12:40 AM   #17
Lilsupra

I dont think u should run it in 1st cuz ull hit redline so fast u might suk at shifting...u may not hoook up at the line either
Lilsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 12:05 PM   #18
ZigRig

Send a message via AIM to ZigRig Send a message via Yahoo to ZigRig
Run your 75 shot on an independant fuel cell with 104 octane, done this way you can juice to the moon..

Zig

Quote:
Originally posted by knightridergts
Old 12-21-2002, 12:40 PM   #19
HowlerMonkey

In my 20 years of doing N20, I have never thought of using a dry kit.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:31 PM   #20
00gtNX

I just got a 75 shot on my celica gt about a week ago and I have never felt such a rush. It is an NX system, wet of course, and I love every bet of it. So far I have beaten Two 5.0 mustangs and an AWD turbo Talan, all which had a lot of work done to. There is nothing more fun than seeing them get pissed for losing by a 4 cylinder. The celicas run great with the bottle and anyone thinking of doing this should not have any doubts. Just make certain who ever installs it takes there time and test every thing before using it.
H&R lowering springs
17" white ICW DV-8s
TRD exhaust
HS header
injen CAI
Fidanza flywheel
ACT clutch
AEM alter pulley
Wissco high comp pistons
Crower rods

Blitz ft, Buddy Club s&r kit for sale
00gtNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 07:43 PM   #21
GTSCHRIS2001

Send a message via AIM to GTSCHRIS2001
OK 75 shot on the GT i just put a 55shot on my GTS today and MAN of MAN ! u wanna talk about a Rush... 75 Shot ok for the GTS also ?... Right now my jets are a .0022 for Fuel and a .0037 for nitrous... What would be the correct pills to run a 75 shot. And oh yeah i have the NOS kit
GTSCHRIS2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 02:43 PM   #22
nate22

I'm getting antsy...I think I'm next
Old 01-20-2003, 04:40 PM   #23
GTSCHRIS2001

DEAR LORD ! heheh NOS 75 SHOT IS FUN! let me tell ya... we made a Video.. Anyone wants to see it send me an E mail to [email protected] and i will be glad to send it to u
Old 01-20-2003, 06:21 PM   #24
GTSCHRIS2001

Anyone have trouble with the Fuel solenoid leaking ? i have done everything i can to fix it and it still leaks.. i have used pipe dope but gas eats threw it.. and also liquid teflon.. and still does the same thing.. Anyone have any CLUE ? or had any trouble ?
Old 02-10-2003, 08:52 AM   #25
Quick_GT-S

Many posts about jet sizes (also terms like pills or orifices), so I posted NX's jet sizes and what I am running.

NX Jet Sizes

HP N2O Fuel
35 31 18
50 35 20
75 41 24

62.5 38 22

I am running 38 N2O and 24 fuel to run a little more rich.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:34 PM   #26
sleepy celica

GTSCHRIS2001, i dink u should take it to da shop and check the wirinqz.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:19 AM   #27
CUERAZO23

[Hey I got a question.. I have a celica 2002 gt just installed zex nitrous kit with a 75 shot is that safe or not? considering that there is not an ignition system for the new celicas yet, celicas got individual ignition coil packs . I can't retard my timing! and I heard that you should retard your timing at least 2 degrees when using a 75 shot because detonation risk is high is that true or not please somobody help me don't want to blow up my baby.
My e mail address id [email protected] thanks...
CUERAZO23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 04:45 PM   #28
Jeff Adams

Man this is some good stuff. I am seriously considerin NX Stage one kit. A 50hp shot sounds great. So let me ask the question again. No other mods to your engine need to be done for this set up? The only thing I have done is a Kazuma exhaust and I am getting ready to buy a K&N short ram air intake. Other than that, I want to leave the rest of my engine in stock form other than the nitrous. I need NOS man.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:24 PM   #29
xkrnplayboyx

Send a message via AIM to xkrnplayboyx
that link doesn't work anymore
xkrnplayboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 01:43 PM   #30
Spitfire

Send a message via AIM to Spitfire Send a message via Yahoo to Spitfire
worked for me.
Old 06-28-2003, 10:57 PM   #31
larryd

For Reference - Nitrious Installs / FAQ

I figure it wouldnt be a bad idea to start a thread where everyone can post their pictures from their nitrous installs and we could answer some of the basic questions. So please feel free to chip in with links to your images as well.

Here are some pics of my Nitrous Express kit Here

Here are some pictures of my old NOS kit Here

Mind you the Nx kit was being installed to replace the NOS kit and it was not completely done in those pictures.
Old 06-28-2003, 11:06 PM   #32
minhtin

whoo thanks heh
minhtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 11:12 PM   #33
minhtin

on one of the picture, there's a rubber hose thats been spliced and connected with a T splitter. is that our fuel line? wow i thought fuel lines were steel braided..
Old 06-29-2003, 01:56 AM   #34
Calsoldier

Send a message via AIM to Calsoldier
Hey larry, I got some questions:

I understand that the nitrous line is running into the nitrous solenoid, and then into the purge, and from the purge to the nozzle. Where is the fuel solenoid? I don't see it on the pics...

Also, where in the electrical line is the mallory switch wired? (I suspect it's the main on/off for the fuel and nitrous solenoids, but I'm not sure)

Last question is, when I buy the NX EFI (35-50-75) shot kit, and the Genx-2 upgrade, what else do I need to finish the install (I.E. T-fittings (what sizes?), hoses, mounts..)?

Thanks a lot,

Oleg

Best 1/4: 13.83 @ 103.1mph
<-- Installs nitrous for $100 local
Calsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 11:05 AM   #35
larryd

minhtin.. yes you are correct, that is the fuel line. I believe it is hard right around the valve cover area but a little bit behind that its thick rubber.

Calsoldier..I am assuming you were referring to the NOS kit pictures, the fuel solenoid is actually right behind the valve cover along with the nitrous and purge solenoids. The braided line for the NOS kit I had barely made it into the engine bay so I had all the solenoids right at the back of the engine.

I honestly can not remember how to wire up the mallory switch but Im sure if you started a post asking someone on here would be able to explain it to you.

I got all of my stuff from www.nitrouswarehouse.com but alot of people seem to get their kits cheap off of ebay. Everything you need to install the kit comes with it. You should ofcourse have basic stuff like zip ties, electrical tape and stuff like that for the wiring aspect.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:11 PM   #36
Calsoldier

So larry, I'm assuming that the the T-fitting to split the fuel line is also in the kit?

Thanks,

Oleg

Old 06-30-2003, 04:32 PM   #37
larryd

I believe it was though its been so long I honestly couldnt tell you to be sure.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:50 PM   #38
atown610

did you install the t fitting, if so where in that line is rubber its all plastic had to put a flare on mine
Old 07-01-2003, 10:58 PM   #39
larryd

Its rubber right behind the valve cover if my memory recalls. I know it was really hard rubber.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:54 AM   #40
larryd

Come on guys, whoever has pictures of their nitrous installs please post em up in here..
Old 07-05-2003, 01:26 AM   #41
minhtin

i think you should do a write up larry hehe.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:17 AM   #42
larryd

If I actually remembered everything I would, but I have not had this setup for almost 18 months now.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:55 PM   #43
Calsoldier

Hey larry, can you hook up a steel-braided line to the purge valve connector instead of using the metal tube, so that you can make the purge come out of anywhere you want?

Oleg

Old 07-07-2003, 02:04 PM   #44
larryd

I dont know man, Im not sure if they make a fitting for that or not.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:13 PM   #45
Calsoldier

Isn't it just a D4 fitting? -4AN line? So just normal nitrous line would fit on the bottom of the purge solenoid?

Old 07-09-2003, 01:47 AM   #46
Calsoldier

Hey guys, can you explain what role the relays play in this whole thing? I can see how they're wired up and everything, but would it be possible not to use them?

Old 07-09-2003, 02:48 PM   #47
atown610

on the nos kit its a 1/8" compression fitting with a brass tube like is used on the tubes from the distribution block to the nozzles you can get a 20 ' coil at most auto stores, but i think the rolls are for the piping for mechanical guages, dont quote me on the size of tube not sure
Old 07-16-2003, 09:49 PM   #48
dragonfrog

Send a message via AIM to dragonfrog
hey, larry. you undid the htmls, and i can't see your pics.

Sponsors: Motorsports Authority | Ignited Performance | Kuhmo Tires

2001 Toyota Celica GT 5sp: undergoing reconstruction.
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Duramax
dragonfrog is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 10:56 PM   #49
larryd

Fixed.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:39 AM   #50
minhtin

yeesh, been awhile since i've look at eletronic diagram. err anyone wanna tell me the which one is ground, pos and activation switch on a relay... got really confusing with all those relays.