Celica GT setup for G-stock SCCA solo 2 class - Page 13 - NewCelica.org Forum

Install Guides Parts Catalog Gallery Tech Info

Go Back   NewCelica.org Forum > Celica Discussion > Autocross & Road Race Forum

Autocross & Road Race Forum If It Deals With Autocross, Post It Here.

Support NCO
Google

Old 05-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #601
Bill Loring

Good job, 2HorsePower! Sorry to hear about your clutch.

I drove my Celica last weekend at our local event. Was bumped from GS-R into DS-R against a well-driven R32. I think I might have come within .5 of him by the end of 6 runs, but I certainly felt that I was not on top of my form in the car.

I'll be at Spring Nationals in the Miata this weekend. Looking forward to the long drive to Lincoln.
Bill Loring is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2014, 08:19 AM   #602
VRUM VR6

Hey all, I've been thinking about getting some wider *>15 inch<* rims to race in non-SCCA rules clubs locally. These are clubs that classify cars trivially by either displacement or marque, etc.

I looked on the Tire Rack web site and all they have is the stock 15x6.5 or 15x7. I want to go wider - if it's possible. Is this because that's all they have or is it all they recommend?

What can I fit on the car? 15x8? 15x9?? Where can I get them? Also, what offsets are needed as I'm totally clueless?
72 Datsun 240Z

'10 & '11 Street Tire champ, '12 & '13 RTF champ at Tri-State Sports Car Council - www.TSSCC.org
'12 trophy GS - SCCA Solo Natls.

VRUM VR6 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:31 AM   #603
Bill Loring

I asked around, and Tire Rack doesn't currently have anything wider than 15x7 to fit the Celica. We carry some 15x8 and 15x9 for the STR Miata, but those are 4x100.

The widest wheel we list in any size for the Celica is a 17x8, which you could put a 235/40-17 onto.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #604
VRUM VR6

Thanks Bill... that's exactly what I went up against last weekend... Miata with 15x9 rims with stretched 225 Rivals - among other cars that I shouldn't be competing with in the irrational racecar class LOL. Those tires were really FAT!

He told me that's what I need to get to compete... 15x8 or preferably 15x9 if I can fit. Need to figure out what actually fits the Great White Landshark (my white Celica GT) and what offset etc.
72 Datsun 240Z

'10 & '11 Street Tire champ, '12 & '13 RTF champ at Tri-State Sports Car Council - www.TSSCC.org

Old 05-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #605
VRUM VR6

I'm trying to stick with 15" because all the tires that I currently have are 15" (R1R, R-S3, AD08) - so they'd be interchangeable between rims and of course the whole package would be both significantly lighter/cheaper.
72 Datsun 240Z

Old 05-29-2014, 11:33 AM   #606
Bill Loring

225 on 15x9? Yikes.

If you can find a 15x8 5x100, then I would look at offsets between 35 and 45. Lower offsets are going to put the wheels out to the corners more. A quick google search turned up a lot of stuff for the "stance" people. 10 offset, and designed to stretch stupid sizes onto. I'm betting those will rub if you put the proper tire size on them.

With a 15x8 or 15x9, you should be able to mount the 275/35-15 Hoosier without too much trouble. The trick will be finding the rims.

edit: And of course I can't promise that any of this stuff will actually fit properly.

another edit: I see you want to stick to the street tires. Then I wouldn't go wider than 8" with a 225. At least IMO.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:36 PM   #607
VRUM VR6

Cool, I value your input Bill, thanks. Out of curiosity, how wide are the rims that the STS & STC crowd run?
72 Datsun 240Z

Old 05-29-2014, 01:49 PM   #608
Bill Loring

They're 15x8 and 15x9. You can look up a "1999 Mazda Miata SCCA STR Class" on the Tire Rack website to see what we offer. We made a special listing just for those cars. For the NC cars, you can look up the '10 model. They use 17" wheels.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #609
andythomas

Sorry it's been a little bit since updates. It's good to see everyone back in action and doing well. Thanks for the kind words Bill I take a lot of pride in my setup abilities and paving the way for fast celica drivers to take the fight to the new g street contenders. It's nice to see Laura doing so well right out of the gates with a new car can't wait to meet you in person. As it stands it looks like I'll be in Toledo at the end of June and wilmington at the end of July. I've requested off for the 4th weekend and I'm going to try to make peru for the match tour. I'm looking for a local dc driver to co drive with me since Mike can't make it. If that fails I'll be bringing some family with me to race. I'd prefer to bring someone that shares my love of debauchery but a nice quiet weekend might be welcomed after Toledo. I'd love for all the local celica drivers to make it so we can have a mini meet of sorts since I don't get to see you Midwest guys much. Next up are a few local events to keep from getting rusty. Car has been great so far this year and its nice getting back contingency from hankook. Running against Trevor Jones will be a big test for us in Toledo since that sight usually has mostly power courses that will favor the focus. Haven't lost to one yet so hopefully we can continue our streak.

I'd look at the Rota slipstream John I think they made a 15x8 or 15x9 in our size that would work a little better with the 225. Running against miatas straight up will be a tough battle though.

Keep up the good work everyone I'll continue to be everyone's cheerleader. Hope to see all of you sometime this summer.

2003 celica gt- g street/ sf
2012 devens tour champ/3rd place solo nats
2013 dixie champ/2nd jersey pro/3rd dc pro/4th toledo/3rd place 2013 solo nats/championship winning car(codriver mike moran)
2014 3rd Dixie/2nd dc pro/ 2nd Jersey tour
99 hyundai accent- prepared fwd rallycrosser
andythomas is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #610
VRUM VR6

I see that Andy is signed up to race July 5-6 at the SCCA National Match Tour in Peru, IN - not too far from Indianapolis... anyone else thinking about going? I'm not sure that it's in the cards for me, but if things change I'll sign up as well.
72 Datsun 240Z

Old 06-17-2014, 03:39 PM   #611
Bill Loring

I'll be there in CSP, and Laura will be there in GSL. Peru is always a good time!
Old 09-26-2014, 01:58 PM   #612
VRUM VR6

How does the Celica GT-S stack up in GS class?

Hey Andy. I know that you went to SCCA Solo Nationals in a Celica GT-S this year. Is it better? Get you closer to competing with the Ford Focus ST cheater car?
72 Datsun 240Z

Old 02-03-2015, 07:32 PM   #613
jgrogers
Mid NY state Autocrosser

Upgrade advice please

If anyone is still watching this thread, you may remember giving me some upgrade and tuning advice over the last 3 years here. I finished the 2014 season in first place in GS solo with a local club, and I think that my overall pax standing was near the top also (two 4ths, etc). With another, more competitive, club, I finished 9th in Street (mostly by showing up). A lot of my success is due to the advice you've given me, so thank you very much.

With the upcoming season moving Civic Si's, Fiesta ST's, etc. to HS and the Focus ST's staying in GS, I'm trying to find some improvements I can make to be a little more competitive and stay in GS with my stock automatic Celica.

The upgrades I have made in previous years are: Koni yellow in front, Eibach sway bar in back, the widest Direzza ZII tires for the stock wheels, pretty aggressive alignment, and tuning tire pressures. I also have redone the front brakes with Akebono performance pads and Napa calipers and rotors.

The car runs very well in wet or dry, rotates well, and usually goes where I point it :-)

I have not replaced any other parts yet, including the rear shocks, brakes and the original exhaust.

Would better rear shocks help me? If they would, which ones? The only adjustables I've found so far are the KYB AGX's. Are they a good choice? How do you adjust them?

How about the exhaust? Any suggestions?
Thanks again for your help in the past,
John

Last edited by jgrogers; 02-04-2015 at 07:03 AM.. Reason: added brake info
jgrogers is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:38 PM   #614
Bitter

Dunlop has released a Starspec Z2 now, supposed to get to temp faster and be more stable at temp.
Originally Posted by JCMiller View Post
I'm gay
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98
no, don't even waste your time. if you want a honest sticker, at least get one that says "objects in mirror aren't really racing, so quit trying"...
Bitter is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:35 AM   #615
VRUM VR6

John, congratulations on your first place finish in an automatic GT! For the rear shocks the preferred route is Koni yellow - which have been out of production for years. Personally I didn't want to cough up the dough for those used and have been using the KYB AGX rear shocks (with the Koni yellow inserts in front). The KYB are way better than old shocks. They have four settings - I run them on #2 for daily driving and usually dial them up to 3 or 4 when autocrossing - which works well for me.

For exhaust, most of us seem to used a self-modified muffler it seems. The goal is two fold... to drop some weight (stock muffler ~27 lbs.) and to gain some power, but it won't be anything miraculous by any means.
72 Datsun 240Z

Old 02-13-2015, 12:14 PM   #616
VRUM VR6

More specifics on the KYB AGX rear shock... if you're interested here are the otherwise boring details.

They have a knob/dial similar looking to the Koni one only smaller. This dial rests rather loosely on the top of the shock rod. Before installing, if you want access to adjust the rear shock - then you must trim an opening on each plastic interior trim cover (make a hole just above the rear tray - which resides behind rear seat and between the rear shocks) that hides the top of the rear shock. These holes are approximately two inches in size in the shape of an upside down "U" in my case.

FYI due to small openings in the trunk metal beneath the plastic covering - you cannot trim the access holes large enough for any sort of convenience when adjusting the shocks. It can be a pain to adjust, but as long as the trunk area is empty and you're flexible enough to lay down into it so you can try to see what you're doing through the holes then it only takes a minute or two to adjust both shock settings.

To adjust them you need to press the dial down a bit to engage the internal adjustment, then turn the dial to the setting number you want. I fashioned a slightly bent metal bar for pressing it down - as your finger can't get into the opening and above the dial - as there is absolutely no room for a finger to get above the way too high dial - that's inside hidden metal area. So I reach in with this homemade 5" (or so long) tool, press down the dial, and use one index finger on other hand to turn the knob.

As a precaution I used glue on the loose dial/knob before installing each shock - so it doesn't just fall off and get lost somewhere completely inaccessible. Hope this helps!
72 Datsun 240Z

Last edited by VRUM VR6; 02-13-2015 at 12:20 PM..
Old 02-13-2015, 08:24 PM   #617
jgrogers
Mid NY state Autocrosser

Thanks Vrum. I was just about to ask for specifics and here they are! Great! I will get the KYB's and make the holes you describe. I guess the location will be obvious when the interior trim comes off to mount the shocks.

I may have to leave the exhaust stock, as I don't really want a louder one for daily driving and I don't think I want to swap it out for events.
Thanks again,
John
Old 02-14-2015, 07:57 AM   #618
Bitter

Well swapping the axle back out is a matter of 15 minutes with the correct hand tools, but for a GT the gains may not be worth it.
I'm gay
Quote:
no, don't even waste your time. if you want a honest sticker, at least get one that says "objects in mirror aren't really racing, so quit trying"...
Old 02-16-2015, 05:42 PM   #619
andythomas

Been too long guys sorry I've lost touch. I've been a busy man this off season spending time with family and trying to keep my driving skills up by doing 3hr gocart enduros. I've also took an available seat on the scca street advisory comitee so if you have an issue with car classing or just want to complain about scca solo I'll get your letters.

For those of you not friends with me on facebook. Mid season my gt know as Tom Celica grenaded it's first transmission. In the hunt for a Craig's list transmission I came across what would become my new autocross Celica that I named the unicorn. It is a early production 2000 gts with no sunroof and cloth seats. The only others I've seen like this were the pro celebrity celicas. I swapped everything from tom and continued my season in the unicorn. For throwing the car together in just a short time it was pretty successful. I trophied first time out at Wilmington and with my codriver Mike we came in 4th and 10th at solo nationals in a tough focus st heavy field. That makes 2 years in a row having the fastest solo Celica in the country. I was also very proud to see Laura and Jordan take first and second in ladies class. I think even ended my season with my 2nd top pax.

To answer your question John yes the gts is faster in almost every way. The new trend of super fast courses favor the gts over the gt. I was able to use all the power and extra 3-4 mph. The gt is still great for courses that stay under 55 and/or have a lot of speed maintenance sections. I still think the focus is the future of the class but it's not stopping me from building my 3rd Celica my cousin's 03 action package gts I've dubbed fully loaded since it has just about every option checked off. It's getting built as a mix between my 2 previous attempts. I'll be running str at the prosolos this year but if I show up to any champ or match tours it'll be in a celica. Tom is getting prepped for scca rallycross action with a 6 spd transmission with diff skid plates and some beefy gravel tires.

Other John congrats good to see you still improving and enjoying your Celica. I started using the magnaflow axle back as my daily driven exhaust since it flows better than stock and is as quiet as stock. It's expensive but made well. I'd be willing to part ways with my muffler delete if you'd like a bit more noise thats very easy to bolt up in less than 10 min. I'll try to get some pics up. The kybs are a good step up from stock if you can't find konis. I won a national championship with that exact setup and Laura won her championship with that setup.

I'll try not to be a stranger. Ttyl8r

2003 celica gt- g street/ sf
2012 devens tour champ/3rd place solo nats
2013 dixie champ/2nd jersey pro/3rd dc pro/4th toledo/3rd place 2013 solo nats/championship winning car(codriver mike moran)
2014 3rd Dixie/2nd dc pro/ 2nd Jersey tour
99 hyundai accent- prepared fwd rallycrosser
andythomas is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:08 PM   #620
Bitter

The muffler used in the Magnaflow setup is available by itself for about $130 on Amazon, then just a matter of welding some pipe together and having a new 2.5" tail section made at the muffler shop. A few crush bends won't hurt flow enough on a stock GTS to make any difference especially at the end of the system. You can put together a good exhaust that's perfectly fine for street use (quiet) for about $200 out the door, less than half the cost of the whole Magnaflow axleback system.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...=main&id=11210
http://www.amazon.com/Magnaflow-1421...agnaflow+14210

It's VERY quiet for about 3 months then it loosens up a little and gains some more tone and growl but never gets loud unless I'm full throttle and even then it's very reserved sounding like it came from the factory with that sound.
I'm gay
Quote:
Old 02-16-2015, 07:01 PM   #621
jgrogers
Mid NY state Autocrosser

Andy,
thanks for the advice. How loud might My GT be with the muffler delete pipe? I'd be interested in any pictures you might be able to provide.

Bitter,
I do have a good muffler shop nearby so the magnaflow option you gave is interesting. I did talk to the shop last year about making a pipe for me with a supertrapp at the end. He said that he could do it but I needed to get the flange that attaches to the front pipe.
Thanks.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:13 PM   #622
Bitter

Just hack off the one on the stock muffler like I did. I used that flange and bend and had it welded to the muffler, then they made one bend and put the stock GTS canister and tip on the end of it so it looks 100% stock. I even painted all under the car flat black with BBQ grill paint so there's NOTHING to see here.
I'm gay
Quote:
Old 02-18-2015, 09:09 AM   #623
jgrogers
Mid NY state Autocrosser

I ordered the KYB AGX shocks, but reviews said that the KYB boot doesn't fit over the shock body. Can anyone recommend a boot and bump stop that will work with these?
Old 02-18-2015, 10:18 AM   #624
VRUM VR6

John, I don't remember the KYB AGX shock boots for whatever reason right now, but make sure that the review you read is specific to the Celica application.
72 Datsun 240Z

Old 02-19-2015, 10:17 PM   #625
renfield90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrogers View Post
I ordered the KYB AGX shocks, but reviews said that the KYB boot doesn't fit over the shock body. Can anyone recommend a boot and bump stop that will work with these?
Hi John, wish I could've warned you in time about the AGXs.

I used to have a GS automatic Celica. I always thought it wasn't *that* much slower than a manual, but when the motor died and I joined the CS party with an FRS I started consistently paxing top 5 in my region. The auto slowed me down way more than I realized.

Anyways, I did spend a year on the AGXs (front and rear). For the rears I believe I just used the stock top hat. The nasty secret of the AGX is that the one knob adjusts rebound and compression together. YMMV, but I found settings 3-4 to be too high on compression, to the point where the rear suspension didn't move as much under load, which reduced the effect of the sway bar and made me start pushing like a pig. I did eventually find front/rear settings that played very nice with each other, but they stopped being adjustable shocks at that point. I wasn't super pleased, but they were better than the blown shocks I had.

Definitely use some glue to attach the rear adjusters before finalizing install. I had one fall off in there - no way to get it back without pulling the shock.

Good luck to all of you still in GS, that Focus looks fast. If you're at a national event and you spot some weirdo staring forlornly at your car for an inappropriate amount of time, it's probably me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
I could kick the **** out of 10 10 year old girls, much less make one take a ****ing shower.
renfield90 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:47 AM   #626
jgrogers
Mid NY state Autocrosser

I have the KYB AGX shocks in my house now, not installed yet. So, can anyone recommend boots or bump stops?

Also, what type of glue have you used for the adjuster knob?
Thanks,
John
Old 04-08-2015, 07:02 PM   #627
jgrogers
Mid NY state Autocrosser

Thanks for the warning about gluing the top hat. I ended up putting them on with a drop of super glue after installing the shocks. To make sure I didn't lose them I stuffed paper towels in the hole so they couldn't run away and hide if I dropped them. I think I'll leave the towel in there, just in case... Now I have to retune the car to find the best setup of shock settings, tire pressure, etc.
Thanks again,
John
Old 07-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #628
VRUM VR6

I'm very sad to say that I caved to the SCCA classing rules much like many others have done so as well:

http:// chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/5079902135.html
72 Datsun 240Z

Old 09-13-2015, 11:53 AM   #629
2HorsePower

Well, of the record 1,230 competitors at the 2015 Tire Rack SCCA Solo Nationals, there was only one driver in a 7th Gen Toyota Celica - me. They sent a squadron of 2014 FoSTs after me, but I fended them off and took home the win in GSL in the "wrong" car!

Thanks to the current and former Celica drivers (and fans of non-spec classing) who have helped me with parts, setup advice, and words of encouragement. I could feel all of you cheering me on.
2HorsePower is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:19 PM   #630
jgrogers
Mid NY state Autocrosser

Great! I agree with you about the help found here. I just took 6th Pax place in my local region event as a result of that help.
Thanks everyone.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:48 PM   #631
VRUM VR6

Congrats to both of you!

Laura it was nice to finally say hello to you briefly after your repeat win... that's HUGE and obviously it's serious driving. I was definitely pulling for you and that final run and that time drop of yours was crazy!

I bought a new VW GTI couple months ago after it finally showed up, sold my white Celica GT sadly.

So I went to Nationals this year to try and challenge the 18 Focus ST drivers in GS and I was leading day one on the West course temporarily until final runs. I settled for 2nd place on day one of 28 racers in GS sitting only 0.110 seconds behind the reigning Focus ST champ.

Day two on east (fast) course I couldn't touch his times, on my final I finally dropped enough time to spring back into second, only I had knocked down the final cone of my event - as I entered the finish line, ugh... I watched my video was totally avoidable as there was room to the right. I settled for 5th trophy of 8 trophies in class. It's gonna be hard to forget what could've been that's for sure.

Good luck to all who like me are challenging THE car in GS!
72 Datsun 240Z

Last edited by VRUM VR6; 09-18-2015 at 11:44 AM..