NewCelica.org Forum banner

1994 Toyota Celica

12K views 115 replies 46 participants last post by  Motor 
#1 ·
So, I am thinking of purchasing a used celica (can't afford anything newer than a '93, unfortunately). Everything in it is stock, no extras really but I was wondering what any of you think would be a reasonable price to pay for this car. It is in pretty good condition, only 137,000 miles. So, any ideas.....?????? thanks!

#4 ·
thanks for the feedback. I think I can probably get this for around $3000, so it sounds like it could be a good deal. Going to go and get a pre buy inspection done on it first though...can't be too safe these day! Adams, why did you see your celica, did you encounter many problems with it when you owned it?

#5 ·
I had one -- they're pretty nice, but not as nimble as the previous gen or ours. Very reliable. Make sure you check it throughly, or have a mechanic do it. I think I sold mine for around $3250 with less mileage -- but check KBB as it will vary from region to region. Note: KBB numbers are on the high side...

#13 ·
They're heavier, not much quicker mod for mod when a GTS becomes turbo'd, and will get blown away when a 2zz is heavily moded. Plus it's older technology. I'd pass. In fact, I just saw Mike325i's alltrac tonight at the Brooklyn meet with h8ternal. He says it himself that it's really heavy, especially when he compares it to his Lotus Exige S.

#14 ·
GTsRasta said:
They're heavier, not much quicker mod for mod when a GTS becomes turbo'd, and will get blown away when a 2zz is heavily moded. Plus it's older technology. I'd pass. In fact, I just saw Mike325i's alltrac tonight at the Brooklyn meet with h8ternal. He says it himself that it's really heavy, especially when he compares it to his Lotus Exige S.
Well just about everything is heavy compared to one of those. ;)

#20 ·
You'll probably have a harder time than usual finding replacement parts. Especially for the engine and tranny, and possibly the suspension if it uses a different setup than the regular Celica (Super Strut, maybe). The engine itself is as reliable as any Toyota if it was taken care of.

#21 ·
supra12big said:
no, I don't plan on leaving the usa, but I have a guy that can hook me up, yeah I don't know there stock weight, i do know the st205 has 260bhp stock, but I dunno yet, i plan on getting this if everything goes as planned
Planned? Sounds like you haven't done enough research on this.

It's a pig, but shouldn't matter once you get it rolling. Aside from performance aspects, you should look around for the availability of parts, both aftermarket and stock parts. It's one thing to have a turboed car, and another thing to maintain it. The ST205 doesn't have much of an aftermarket, smaller compared to the 7th gen's.

#22 ·
actually I have done a bit of research, for aftermarket, therere a whole new world that opens up, like downpipe, turbo manifold, boost controller, bigger turbos, front mounts, bovs, plenty I think, in stock parts, I got a shop around me which provides everything I need, but I just gotta be sure this motor is good?

#23 ·
supra12big said:
are they good motors, whats there problem?
Blue Bomber said:
You'll probably have a harder time than usual finding replacement parts. Especially for the engine and tranny, and possibly the suspension if it uses a different setup than the regular Celica (Super Strut, maybe). The engine itself is as reliable as any Toyota if it was taken care of.
exactly
old, turbo cars break - all the time. When you balance the pleasure of driving compared with the headache of fixing the car all the time and finding replacement parts (especially considering this car was never sold in America), you'll find that its just not worth it in the end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.