Problems with Hotchkis spring install - NewCelica.org Forum

Install Guides Parts Catalog Gallery Tech Info

Go Back   NewCelica.org Forum > Celica Discussion > Suspension & Brake Tuning

Suspension & Brake Tuning All Suspension and Brake Related Posts Here.

Support NCO
Google

Old 11-11-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
s-n-s1018

Problems with Hotchkis spring install

Hello everyone its been a while since i have been on the forum. Sorry guys that Im reposting this question because I was not sure if I should have put this question in the install section. Thanks Larry for the great pictures of the install. Im have problems installing my own. I use to have eibach sportlines but the ride became harsh and they end up warranting them. They discountinued that spring so I ended up buying the hotchkis springs. The problem im having is with the rear springs they seem way to short I dont even have to compress the spring to put the hat on. So the shock is all loose when put together. There is no preload what so ever on the spring is this normal because with the eibach I had to compress the spring to put everything back together. Thanks in advance and any input would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
noodles4u

I did my install a couple of years ago, but from what I remember, my Hotchkis rear springs were pretty much the same.
noodles4u is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
s-n-s1018

Well first thank you for responding. So when you installed the rear springs the assembly was loose there was no tension on the spring. How did it work out after the install? Because I feel a little skeptical installing these springs. What happens if you have to change a tire and take the weight off the spring wont it all get loose again? Thanks guys.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
mrfunny107

make sure your part #s are correct, but when I had lowering springs I didnt need a spring compressor. How loose is it???? Like 1 inch gap??? 4 inch gap??

Pics?

Too much.....
mrfunny107 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
s-n-s1018

The gap is about two inches is that normal with these springs. The eibachs were not like that at all and the drop was more than the hotchkis spring. Thanks
Old 11-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
noodles4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-n-s1018 View Post
Well first thank you for responding. So when you installed the rear springs the assembly was loose there was no tension on the spring. How did it work out after the install? Because I feel a little skeptical installing these springs. What happens if you have to change a tire and take the weight off the spring wont it all get loose again? Thanks guys.
I do remember that I was worried about the same thing, that the springs were too short. There wasn't any tension on the spring. When my car was lifted completely, there was a little bit of a gap, but under load, it's fine.

The Hotchkis springs are progressive, and the rear has a rate at 350 lb/in ramping up to 380 the further it gets compressed, while the Sportlines are also progressive, but have a (substantially) lower rate at 208 lb/in. I don't know what it goes up to, or if that's when it's fully compressed.
noodles4u is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
renfield90

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-n-s1018 View Post
What happens if you have to change a tire and take the weight off the spring wont it all get loose again?
Assuming you are jacking up the left or right side of the car, the sway bar will keep the spring compressed. If you jack up both rear tires at the same time, then you need to be careful when lowering the car back down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
I could kick the **** out of 10 10 year old girls, much less make one take a ****ing shower.
renfield90 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote