Old 04-27-2007, 08:08 AM   #1
Motor
Super Moderator

2008 Scion xD

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=120549
Quote:
First Impressions:
A bulldog among small-car lap dogs.

The littlest Scion gets tough with more motor, more style.

The new 2008 Scion xD doesn't have much of a legacy to overcome. The Scion xA, its predecessor, has always been the other car in the three-car Scion lineup, not as shocking as the iconic xB box and not as smoothly successful as the tC coupe.

Up to now, the small Scion has been the one that no one cares about and most people don't even know about, a collection of mundane mechanical pieces buried under a molehill of amorphous sheet metal and indistinct plastic.

The 2008 Scion xD, on the other hand, is nothing if not distinctive. Its profile is a unique mix of hatchback and Mack truck, and it features a rambunctious four-cylinder engine that Toyota has never before offered in North America. Even the interior is both versatile and cleverly detailed.

Unlike the xA, the 2008 xD will be tough to overlook. Particularly if, as expected, Scion keeps the car's base price down near $14,000 when it goes on sale this August.

Bulldog Look, Bulldog Character
Scion says the Japanese-designed xD has a "high beltline with powerful front bumpers [that] give it a substantial presence." OK, whatever. What the xD looks like to us is the classic, snub-nose 1916 Mack AC truck that gave rise to Mack's well-known bulldog mascot. Like that ancient truck, the xD looks pugnacious and utilitarian. Though the Scion xD measures out much like the Honda Fit, from its 96.9-inch wheelbase to its 60.0-inch height, the xD seems far less self-conscious. It's also more aggressive than the Nissan Versa, more substantial than the Chevy Aveo, and simply better than the Toyota Yaris.

The four-door xD's closest relative is in fact the two-door Yaris hatchback, and both cars share the same basic unibody structure, MacPherson-strut front suspension, torsion-beam rear suspension, front disc and rear drum brakes, and electric rack-and-pinion steering. The xD is 4.1 inches longer overall than the Yaris hatch and 1.2 inches wider, but both cars are the same height and both have a 16-valve DOHC four-cylinder engine positioned transversely under the hood that drives the front wheels.

But in place of the Yaris' wimpy 106-horsepower, 1.5-liter four-cylinder with variable valve timing on the intake cam, the xD gets a 128-hp, 1.8-liter four with variable valve timing on both the intake and exhaust camshafts. Backed by either a five-speed manual or four-speed automatic transaxle, the xD's engine is neither particularly loud nor particularly quiet about its work, but its torque curve is robust compared to that of engines in most twerp-class runabouts. The shift action of the five-speed manual isn't particularly clean, either, but it helps make the xD feel a bit quicker than the 107-hp Honda Fit.

Though the xD's 195/60R16 all-season tires don't seem impressive, relatively aggressive suspension tuning helps the car corner more tenaciously and with less roll than the Yaris. At the same time, the steering lacks the strong feeling of precision and stability that you find in the Fit, while the xD's combination of ABS, electronic brakeforce distribution and supplementary brake-assist pressure can't help compensate for the lack of pedal feel that comes with the use of rear drum brakes. Stability control is standard equipment and it's quite effective, but you can switch it off if you're looking for fun.

The xD deserves a more expressive exhaust note to reflect its engine's relative muscularity. But while power gives the xD a contentious character, this is not really a sporting machine in the manner of a Honda Civic Si or VW GTI. It may be a bulldog among lapdogs, but it doesn't have the might to take on the big dogs.

It Has Dimples
What the xD lacks in ultimate sporting ability it significantly compensates for with the design, flexibility and quality of the interior.

There isn't a surface on the xD's interior that lacks the feel of nicely textured quality. Golf ball-like dimples cover most of dashboard and door panel surfaces, and the few switches work with easy precision. The feeling of quality is furthered by nicely shaped front seats and a surprisingly comfortable rear seat.

As you might expect, the electronics are really the interior's most interesting aspect. There really isn't much in the way of gauges, but the single element in which the speedometer needle swings clockwise and the tachometer needle swings counterclockwise is attractive, intuitive and just really neat. It gives the whole environment an avant-garde style rare in any car.

And this style is furthered by a choice of audio systems that sound great. A Pioneer system with integrated iPod port and loads of speakers is standard, but the optional Pioneer system that includes the ability to personalize the display with "skins" is even better. And if that's not enough, an optional navigation system will play DVDs when the car is parked.

There's plenty of practicality, too: 84.5 cubic feet of passenger volume, and the 60/40-split rear seat reclines slightly for comfort. Laying down the seatbacks provide ample cargo room. Some hidden cubbyhole storage beneath the load floor in back is also available. The numbers indicate that Honda's Fit will swallow slightly more total cargo, but the xD offers enough for most people.

And if the xD crashes, side curtain and seat-mounted front side airbags are standard.

Finish Yourself
With its just-plain-ugly plastic wheel covers and minimal instrumentation, the xD can seem almost incomplete, as if it's missing the finishing touches that give a car some road presence. In fact this is intentional, as Scion wants xD buyers (and xB buyers for that matter) to consider their new purchases as just the starting point in a whole program of personalization.

For instance, there will be 40 Scion- and TRD-branded dealer-installed accessories available for the xD upon its launch, including more aggressive 16-, 17-, 18- and 19-inch wheels. There are also functional items like a quick-shift kit, big brakes, shorter springs, an exhaust system, a carbon-fiber engine cover and an overhead console. Beyond this, aftermarket companies like Lund, Sparco and Yakima are also committed to making personalization of the new Scion easy.

Personalization is all fine and dandy, but it helps if the car itself has some substance. And in the new xD, Scion seems to have built a car that makes it worth going through the hassle of personalization.

I didn't care much about the first gen. and I don't really care much about this one, either. I like that it has dual vvt-i, though.

Discuss.
Motor is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2007, 08:38 AM   #2
epicwolf
get that motabs going!

looks like the matrix. I dont think i can pick up chicks with this car but its just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaruu View Post
I'm going to polish everything including Raph's head!
epicwolf is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:51 AM   #3
marc
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!

whatever

Old 04-27-2007, 08:52 AM   #4
marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicwolf
looks like the matrix. I dont think i can pick up chicks with this car but its just my opinion.
I don't think you can pick up chicks in any car.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:21 AM   #5
neological

Send a message via AIM to neological Send a message via Yahoo to neological
You can't pick up chicks in anything that says Toyota on it (yes, even the Supra. Women don't care about speed).

You can pick up chicks in just about anything that says "Ferrari" or "Aston Martin" though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted 2.0
You are quite possibly the most dangerous person in OT. You look down on Black people.
neological is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:04 AM   #6
epicwolf
get that motabs going!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neological
You can't pick up chicks in anything that says Toyota on it (yes, even the Supra. Women don't care about speed).

You can pick up chicks in just about anything that says "Ferrari" or "Aston Martin" though.

what about a lexus? It's part of the toyota family. I think i can pick up a chick with a lexus.

Quote:
Old 04-27-2007, 10:11 AM   #7
neological

Send a message via AIM to neological Send a message via Yahoo to neological
Old chicks or ghetto girls maybe. They would be most effective with Asian GMILFS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted 2.0
You are quite possibly the most dangerous person in OT. You look down on Black people.
neological is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:28 AM   #8
marc

Quote:
Quote:

what about a lexus? It's part of the toyota family. I think i can pick up a chick with a lexus.
"Hey baby. Check out my ride. Its really reliable. The ride quality is fantastic and my steering is numb. Its rated really highly in initial quality and customer satisfaction. When I drive, its like novacaine."
Old 04-27-2007, 11:53 AM   #9
epicwolf
get that motabs going!

Quote:
Old chicks or ghetto girls maybe. They would be most effective with Asian GMILFS.

i love asian chicks

Quote:
Old 04-27-2007, 12:05 PM   #10
d3im05

Send a message via MSN to d3im05
how would like a chinese grandma modeling on your xD, huh? ahahah
d3im05 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:52 PM   #11
Reset

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc
Quote:
Quote:

"Hey baby. Check out my ride. Its really reliable. The ride quality is fantastic and my steering is numb. Its rated really highly in initial quality and customer satisfaction. When I drive, its like novacaine."
hahahahah
Old 06-07-2007, 08:21 PM   #12
redborja202

finally!!!! dual vvt-i... that means the exhaust has vvt-i too...nice... imo, the intake vvt will now be more effective with the exhaust vvt...
redborja202 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:42 PM   #13
Motor
Super Moderator

Comparison Test: 08 xD Vs. 07 Fit Sport

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do.../pageId=124906
Quote:
Honda Has a Fit
While the Honda Civic has never shown a big thirst at the gas pump, its ever-increasing dimensions (and price) have squeezed it out of the entry-level market. Korean-built subcompacts have eagerly filled the void, hungry for the chance to secure new customers. And then, of course, Scion arrived in 2004, changing the rules in the entry-level market entirely.

Enter the Fit, which burst onto the U.S. market in 2006. First introduced in Japan, some 250,000 were sold there in 2002, which topped the country's sales charts. Just 35,000 examples of the Fit have been allocated yearly to American Honda, and 27,934 were sold over nine months in 2006.

Pricing for a base-model Fit starts at $14,445 and includes a full complement of safety features and most of the available convenience items. We tested the Honda Fit Sport, more fully equipped and vastly more popular as well. For $15,765 our Fit Sport features 15-inch alloy wheels carrying 195/55HR15 tires, cruise control, keyless entry, foglights, aero-style bodywork trim and a better stereo with an auxiliary input.

Every Fit features a 16-valve DOHC inline-4 with Honda's step-type VTEC variable valve timing, and the engine develops 109 horsepower.

Scion, You Crazy Diamond
As a branding exercise, the Scion experiment has been a huge success. Out of nowhere Scion has become the No. 1 Internet brand, with 80 percent name recognition among online shoppers under age 35. Even so, only 28,033 examples of the Scion xA were sold in 2006, less than half the number of Scion xB sales.

As a result, Scion has decided to renew the entry-level Scion's identity at the same time that it renews the hardware, so the xD has appeared. Banished is the anemic 103-hp 1.5-liter engine, and it's replaced by a 128-hp 1.8-liter mill with variable valve timing for both the intake and exhaust cams. The xD also makes side airbags standard, not optional as they were for the xA. The tires have grown to 195/60HR16s, and electronic stability control is available as an option. Features such as cruise control and keyless entry are now standard.

Standard content costs money, so a 2008 Scion xD will cost more than an xA when it goes on sale in August. Exact prices have not yet been announced, but expect the price of the xD to begin at about $15,080. Of course our test car had the optional stability control, a stereo upgrade and illuminated door sills, so we believe its as-tested price sits around $16,368, give or take a bit.

What Counts Is What's Inside
The Honda Fit and the Scion xD rest on nearly identical wheelbases, some 96.5 inches for the Honda and 96.9 inches for the Scion. Their other dimensions are also nearly the same, with the Fit measuring 2.7 inches longer while the Scion spreads 1.7 inches wider. These cars are both 60.0 inches tall.

Both of these front-wheel-drive cars have transverse four-cylinder engines. Both have strut-type front suspension. Both have a twist-beam rear axle (think of it as essentially a huge stabilizer bar with the wheels mounted on the ends) that helps to lower the height of the floor in the rear of the car even as it creates a void for a spare tire.

Honda even improves the Fit's space-efficiency by locating the fuel tank under the front seats. As a result, the floor height goes down farther still, enabling the second-row seatbacks to fold forward all the way into the footwells, creating a dead-flat loading floor and 41.9 cubic feet of cargo capacity. The seat bottoms can also be folded up to meet a normally positioned seatback, creating a "tall mode" suitable for standing a bicycle up in the backseat. In comparison, the Scion affords 35.7 cubic feet once the conventional split-back folding seats have been laid down.

The Honda Fit Sport offers 90.1 cubic feet of passenger volume and the Scion xD has 84.5 cubic feet of living space. In our experience, a wide variety of body shapes can find a comfortable fit behind the wheel of both cars, perhaps helped by the high hip point for the seating position. The Honda Fit's driving position and control layout did seem sized for smaller drivers, though, as the steering wheel fouled the knees of our tallest driver and the pedal action seemed designed for drivers who sit very close to the steering wheel.

Which One Is Go, Again?
Although we had VTEC-inspired expectations of extreme performance from the Fit Sport, our Honda hatch proved loath to accelerate without judicious rowing of the five-speed gearbox. This 16-valve DOHC inline-4's 109 hp and 105 pound-feet of torque aren't quite enough to move this 2,472-pound box smartly enough to make highway merges and passing maneuvers a matter of routine.

The Scion xD has 128 hp and 125 lb-ft of torque underfoot, so it moves out with much less fuss, despite weighing 2,615 pounds (143 pounds more than the Fit). Daily driving proved to be far less of a stress test, and fewer downshifts were required to summon up speed at the right moments.

At the test track, all this boiled down to an 8.4-second run to 60 mph in the Scion xD, compared to 9.0-second acceleration to 60 mph for the Fit.

Fuel economy laurels go to the 2007-model Fit, but just barely. At first the Fit's rating of 33 mpg city/38 highway seems to trounce the 2008-model Scion xD's estimated 27 city/33 highway. But don't get all excited. Once you convert the 2007 Fit to the new 2008 EPA methodology, the Honda's rating changes to 28 city/34 highway, just 1 mpg better than the xD.

Road Manners
Agile handling is one of the Fit's strong points, and our nimble 2,472-pound test car felt light on its Dunlop all-season feet. The Fit's electric power steering didn't seem to compromise steering effort or feedback from the tires.

Our track tests bear out the Fit Sport's edge in agility, as its 63.3-mph slalom run and 0.81g skid-pad performance were a bit better than the Scion's efforts of 61.1 mph and 0.78g.

But at higher speeds on the open road, the Fit felt a bit too eager to change direction and it acquiesced to the whims of crosswinds and passing big rigs. The Fit's firm suspension also transmitted too many details of the road's texture to the interior, and the car frequently felt somewhat tense or even nervous and could have used a little more straight-line stability.

The xD has a different vibe altogether. Its steering response is sedate, although not sluggish. The electric power steering doesn't deliver a natural, transparent feel, and there's too little natural realigning steering torque. But the Scion almost always feels solidly planted on its Bridgestone all-season tires. It's calm and stable at freeway speeds, with better mastery of road imperfections than the Fit and good straight-ahead sense.

Safety Dance
On the safety front, both the Honda and the Scion stack up well. Both have standard four-wheel ABS with electronic brakeforce distribution and the Scion adds brake assist if it senses a panic stop. At the test track, both cars stopped equally well from 60 mph, with the Fit coming to a halt in 122 feet and the xD stopping in 123 feet.

With the Fit, Honda has made a point about "Safety for Everyone," committing itself to providing even affordable cars with the best safety technology available. What this means for the Fit is lots of safety as standard equipment, including ABS, front-seat side airbags and curtain-type head-protection airbags for both front and rear passengers.

Scion's xD ups the safety ante a bit more. It offers the same airbag count as standard equipment, but then adds active front headrests, outside mirrors with turn signals, and optional stability control.

Practicality: Say It Loud
Based on our analysis, the price difference between a similarly equipped Honda Fit Sport and Scion xD will be minimal. Our estimated price for this 2008 Scion xD test car is $16,368, just $603 more than this 2007 Honda Fit's sticker price of $15,765. If you assign a price of $650 to the xD's optional stability control (its price in a Toyota Corolla), the difference between these two cars evaporates.

When all is said and done, neither of these four-door economy hatchbacks is a bad way to go. The 2007 Honda Fit Sport seems the more practical of the two, with fractionally better fuel economy and huge cargo space. Its agility is a plus, too.

But the 2008 Scion xD is the one that comes out on top for us. With just enough power to deal comfortably with traffic, a more refined ride, a longer list of standard convenience and safety features than the Fit and the availability of stability control, the Scion xD is the best package for us.

How'd kids get so practical all of a sudden?

Discuss.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:59 PM   #14
Carbonized_GT

battle of ugly.

"Who needs fame, and who needs fortune?
Cause I've got guts, and I've got glory.
We took a shot in the dark, and we might have failed.
This is our one chance."
Carbonized_GT is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:13 PM   #15
Motor
Super Moderator

TRD xD

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/08/05/i...st-ist-around/
Quote:
The oddly-named JDM Toyota ist was formally introduced this week, and as was the case with the Toyota Blade Master, another new arrival in Japan's Toyota stores, a range of TRD accessories was announced very shortly thereafter. They do the job of dressing up the rather bland ist, which is Japan's version of the USDM Scion xD.

Naturally, there's a replacement grille, body kit, and new wheels. The look can be further augmented with branded scuff plates, TRD Sportivo suspension parts, and a TRD muffler. Hell, TRD even offers a red engine start button. The US-market Scions have always been pushed as being very customization-friendly, and really, it's no different for the JDM cars. The available accessories do a nice job of dressing things up.

Discuss.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:25 PM   #16
drewd

oh sweet, another FUGLY car!
drewd is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:44 PM   #17
jlitman

That front lip looks like it was made out of an egg carton.

I think the xD commerical is pretty amusing, but seriously, this is just another econobox turdster that should be crushed into a cube.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:16 AM   #18
jdm_trd99

what the hell is wrong with car designs today?

Evo X
jdm_trd99 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:59 AM   #19
lamboceliGTS
Banned

i dont know who would buy that.
lamboceliGTS is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:51 AM   #20
GTsRasta
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA

Send a message via Yahoo to GTsRasta
At least stick a 2zz in there. Then it would be worth the TRD badge.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:01 AM   #21
vegeta4ss
12+ years daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTsRasta
At least stick a 2zz in there. Then it would be worth the TRD badge.
That would be nice...I'd push that little rollerskate all over town if it had a 2zz.

Vintage Gamer - Will trade OEM and aftermarket spare parts for your old Sega and Nintendo carts.
vegeta4ss is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:59 AM   #22
drewd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboceliGTS
i dont know who would buy that.
Same kind of people who buy Xb's..
drewd is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:56 PM   #23
lpphreakx06

Send a message via AIM to lpphreakx06
Love that engine start button.

JuiceBox3 1.33 BETA, DCI, Forge DV, KWV2
Song owning me ATM: Gucci Mane - Beat It Up Ft. Trey Songz
lpphreakx06 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:14 PM   #24
Motor
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpphreakx06
Indeed. Somebody should import it and install it on their Celica and be [email protected] JDM TYT3 Y0!!!
Old 08-06-2007, 06:43 PM   #25
Gas-n-Grease
Just call me GnG

I dunno... I have mixed feelings about the xD now. The Ist/xA was rather bland and ugly while this xD is a little more stylin', but at the same time ugly.
Gas-n-Grease is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:07 PM   #26
wtcnbrwndo4u

Send a message via AIM to wtcnbrwndo4u Send a message via Yahoo to wtcnbrwndo4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpphreakx06

It looks aite....
wtcnbrwndo4u is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:02 AM   #27
vejita_13

i've never really liked the look of the xA, and the xD looks pretty close, and i've seen fits on the road, and i think they look pretty good, for that type of car (i hope to never own anything other than a coupe). i know it's superficial, but the xD has a larger, more powerful engine, so if i were in the market for this kind of car, i would have to side with the xD. i don't know about the aftermarket for the fit, but i'll bet it's pretty big (relatively), so i would take that in to consideration (but if i were in the market for this kind of car, i don't know that i would be modding it). i think what it comes down to is...i wouldn't know which one to pick. mostly because i would never buy any of them. so this was just babbling. very informative article motor much better than a lot of the other dribble that gets posted around her (e.g. 2JZ S2k...oh wait, that was me...)
vejita_13 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:30 AM   #28
jlitman

Drivel.

Turd mobile shootout -- I'd rather drive a smart car.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:01 AM   #29
GTsRasta
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA

Send a message via Yahoo to GTsRasta
Slap a 2zz in the xD, it'll be the new rage. Similar to all the damn K series Fits that's being featured in all the tuner magazines.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:42 AM   #30
lamboceliGTS
Banned

ehh.
lamboceliGTS is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:14 AM   #31
Gas-n-Grease
Just call me GnG

I'd still go with the Fit. There will always be a barrage of aftermarket goodies for Hondas. Oh yeah, the Fit's L15 engine is SOHC, not DOHC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTsRasta
Slap a 2zz in the xD, it'll be the new rage. Similar to all the damn K series Fits that's being featured in all the tuner magazines.
don't know about that, though. The problem is the amount of support. Honda always has huge support from aftermarket companies, so parts like an engine mount kit would be more accessible for people. If the current xB and xA have yet to have a engine mount kit, I highly doubt the new xD will be a hot candidate for a 2zz swap.
Don't like the xD too much though... reminds me too much of the much loathed tC in my opinion.

Last edited by Gas-n-Grease; 08-07-2007 at 11:20 AM..
Old 08-08-2007, 08:28 AM   #32
KARacing

Send a message via ICQ to KARacing Send a message via AIM to KARacing Send a message via MSN to KARacing Send a message via Yahoo to KARacing
I think this model is not avaliable in USA market,right?
KARacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:23 AM   #33
Gas-n-Grease
Just call me GnG

^ most likely not. we'll probably get something similar to it, like maybe a "sport" version.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:27 PM   #34
LEDmod

Send a message via AIM to LEDmod
Not fully loaded like that, but we'll have optional parts available to get them....
I know for sure body kit and suspension would be first to be released...
LEDmod is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:28 PM   #35
Joey03_VVT-I

Send a message via AIM to Joey03_VVT-I
Hahaha....the sad part is that the TRD engine start button is sexier than that car!
Jenny Chu, Melissa Grace, Jessica Alba, Megan Fox, Olivia Munn, Sara Underwood
Joey03_VVT-I is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:17 AM   #36
GTShondakilla

Send a message via AIM to GTShondakilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by KARacing
I think this model is not avaliable in USA market,right?

I saw a non-TRD xD at work last week....
Old 08-11-2007, 04:09 PM   #37
wtcnbrwndo4u

Send a message via AIM to wtcnbrwndo4u Send a message via Yahoo to wtcnbrwndo4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTShondakilla
I saw a non-TRD xD at work last week....
I think he meant the TRD one.
wtcnbrwndo4u is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:30 AM   #38
techgeekwill

Send a message via AIM to techgeekwill Send a message via MSN to techgeekwill Send a message via Yahoo to techgeekwill
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm_trd99
what the hell is wrong with car designs today?

Its called safety. All of the governmental mandates on vehicle safety have forced many designers to make ugly cars. Now there are some (Aztek) that just shouldn't have happened.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:52 PM   #39
Motor
Super Moderator

xD Release Series 1.0

http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases...T2008051529238
Quote:
Torrance, CA - Scion announced today that the third limited-production Scion for 2008, the xD Release Series 1.0 (xD RS 1.0), will be available at dealer showrooms beginning in June.

The 2008 xD RS 1.0 features Hot Lava exterior paint. This first limited edition xD will turn heads with a DAMD body kit, rear spoiler, Release Series wheel covers and TRD lowering springs. Inside, the xD RS 1.0 will feature Hot Lava accented seats and interior trim, and a RAZO Release Series shift knob. Like all Release Series vehicles, an individually numbered badge completes the uniqueness of this vehicle.

Only 2,000 units of the xD RS 1.0 will be built. The xD RS 1.0 model will carry a manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) of $1,999 over the base price of the xD. The manual transmission xD carries a base MSRP of $14,550, while the MSRP for the automatic transmission model is $15,350.

The delivery, processing and handling (DPH) fee for all Scion models is $620 and is not included in the MSRP. DPH fees for vehicles distributed by Southeast Toyota (SET) and Gulf States Toyota (GST) may vary.

I don't mind the new exterior color so much, but the interior looks tacky. and another thing -- it's lowered? I can't tell judging by those images.

Discuss.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:13 PM   #40
Carbonized_GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor View Post
Release Series wheel covers
woooooo.....

This is our one chance."
Old 05-17-2008, 01:42 AM   #41
BTLCelica

Send a message via ICQ to BTLCelica Send a message via AIM to BTLCelica Send a message via MSN to BTLCelica
You know why its the xD is cause that is the smilie

XD cause you are laughing so hard at it you squint your eyes
Old 05-17-2008, 01:49 AM   #42
Carbonized_GT

Stop.

Posting.

This is our one chance."
Old 05-19-2008, 11:30 PM   #43
Joey03_VVT-I

Send a message via AIM to Joey03_VVT-I
I too like the interior but everything else sucks. Oh and ummm...yes, its lowered with TRD springs.
Jenny Chu, Melissa Grace, Jessica Alba, Megan Fox, Olivia Munn, Sara Underwood
Joey03_VVT-I is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:45 PM   #44
dr0pSz

they should've continued making the xA

btw the interior looks like they tried to make it too fancy
Old 07-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #45
blacken

Send a message via AIM to blacken Send a message via MSN to blacken
when i bought my corolla this past week the dealer had one on the showroom
in person and getting inside of it
i must say for about 18,000 thats one hell of a buy =D
if my corolla wasnt cheaper and had better fuel economy i might have thought about it because it looked pretty sweet in person
Old 07-28-2008, 09:47 PM   #46
Dasher17
Boobze

Meh, I like the interior, the exterior, once again, looks too much like a minivan though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmesofarmdgdn View Post
I'm stopped at a light looking around minding my own business thinking about that one fine chick who always passes by but I have yet to come up with a pick up line for...(I was thinking of just saying I drive a Celica

Dasher17 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #47
Motor
Super Moderator

2009 Scion xB and xD

http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases...T2008080110130
Quote:
Torrance, CA - The Scion xB urban utility vehicle, which received a major model change in 2008, enters the 2009 model year by appealing to young urban trendsetters with its fresh styling and performance. It features a surprising level of refinement and is packaged with an array of standard equipment including a 160-watt maximum output Pioneer audio system with iPod connectivity. The head-turning xB receives one new exterior color, Stringray Metallic, which replaces Nautical Blue Metallic.

Iconic Box Style
With its elongated headlamps that wrap around the side of the vehicle, rectangular grille, and pronounced fenders, the xB projects an aggressive appearance. Soft angles between its wide and flat paneling and a high beltline give the xB its iconic boxy shape. Other exterior styling cues include inset taillights, single rear backup light on the left bumper, tinted rear windows, and turn signals integrated into the side mirrors.

Fun Performance
A 2.4-liter dual overhead-cam four-cylinder engine, the same as the tC's, with Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i) produces 158 horsepower, 55 more than the previous generation. Customers have a choice of a five-speed manual transmission or a four-speed automatic with sequential shifting. The xB has estimated EPA fuel economy ratings of 22 city/28 highway for both transmissions and is rated California Level II Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (ULEV-II).

The xB's smooth ride can be attributed to its MacPherson strut front and rear torsion beam suspension, and 16-inch steel wheels. Customers can choose from three standard wheel covers which are shared with the xD. The xB also features 10.83-inch ventilated discs in the front and 10.98-inch disc brakes in the rear.

Interior Style
The xB's lounge-like interior was designed to meet customers' lifestyle needs. The xB offers plenty of utility with 21.7 cubic feet behind the rear seats and 60/40 split fold flat rear seats for additional space and a flat cargo floor. The front seats fully recline for increased cargo space or relaxation. In addition, the driver also has a right armrest for comfort.

Interior storage details were not overlooked as the xB includes a driver's convenience tray, a glove box, a console box and front door storage. A fixed tray is located beneath the rear seats for hidden storage and can accommodate small items like magazines, cameras, laptops, cell phone chargers and CDs.

Metal-tone trim accents the shifter and dash. Centered on the dash are a series of sleek circular gauges, including the speedometer and multi-information display, with a deep orange readout. Upon starting the engine, "xB" flashes on the multi-information display before information is shown. The driver can use the multi-information display to view the clock, outside temperature, instantaneous MPG, average MPG, distance to empty, or the average speed.

Upgraded Audio System
Scion truly focuses on youth with its standard 160-watt maximum output Pioneer audio system, iPod connectivity, and a mini-jack port located beneath the HVAC controls for easy access. This standard head unit integrates track, artist and album information from the iPod into a one-line display on the head unit's screen. Connectivity is achieved by simply plugging the iPod into a port via a connector cable, providing outstanding sound quality through the car's stereo system and constant power to the iPod. Music is controlled through the head unit and the steering wheel audio control buttons. The mini-jack port allows users to listen to their portable music collection through the xB's Pioneer speakers.

Scion also offers an optional Pioneer premium audio system which adds several features to the standard head unit, including the ability to download "skins" to play on the organic electroluminescent (OEL) screen. Customers can download images, four-second video clips and eight-second movies from Pioneer's website. For personalization, this Pioneer software also allows customers to burn their own images and movies onto a CD and upload them onto the available head unit. The faceplate light also changes from deep orange to blue at the touch of a button.
Since in-car entertainment systems are popular aftermarket accessories, the xB's optional premium audio system has rear head unit outputs allowing for the addition of external amps to boost power to additional speakers and subwoofers. All head unit features remain unchanged if this feature is used.

Both the standard and premium head units retain key Scion audio system features such as Scion Sound Processing (SSP) where listeners can choose from three pre-set equalizer settings, satellite radio compatibility, a user-customizable welcome screen, MP3 and WMA capability, Automatic Sound Leveling (ASL) and Sound Retouch Technology (SRT), which provides clearer CD sound quality. Both systems feature six speakers: a tweeter and a speaker in each front door panel, plus two full-range speakers in the rear.

The Scion navigation system, featuring a 160-watt maximum power audio/video/navigation unit with seven-inch LCD touch screen, is also available.

Monopsec Features
Like all Scion vehicles, the xB is mono spec. Customers only need to choose exterior color and transmission type. The xB comes with a generous list of standard features including power steering, windows, door locks and mirrors; remote keyless entry; air conditioning; four-wheel anti-lock brakes (ABS) with Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA); driver and front passenger dual stage airbags; front seat-mounted side airbags; front and rear side curtain airbags; Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) with Traction Control (TRAC); first-aid kit; and tilt steering wheel with audio controls. All Scion models come with complimentary factory-recommended maintenance services at the first 5,000 mile and 10,000 mile intervals, to be performed by an authorized Scion or Toyota dealership.

Colors
The xB is available in six exterior colors: Super White, Classic Silver Metallic, Black Sand Pearl, Stingray Metallic, Blackberry Crush Metallic and Hypnotic Teal Mica. All xBs feature high-quality dark charcoal interior fabric.
http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases...T2008080123498
[QUOTE]Torrance, CA - The Scion xD five-door urban subcompact carries over its aggressive styling and versatility for the 2009 model year. The xD launched last year as an all-new model featuring a unique exterior and fun-to-drive package.

Scion Styling Cues
The xD's distinct exterior is characterized by the Scion family traits
Old 08-13-2008, 12:13 PM   #48
darkshadowceli

The xd is so ugly imo
Old 08-16-2008, 06:36 AM   #49
Polykarb

Send a message via AIM to Polykarb
Bah, more tool boxes for the tools.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:39 PM   #50
reddragon