LED low beam conversion guide - NewCelica.org Forum

Install Guides Parts Catalog Gallery Tech Info

Go Back   NewCelica.org Forum > Celica Discussion > Audio, Electrical, & Security

Audio, Electrical, & Security Install & Protect Your System Here.

Support NCO
Google

Old 02-01-2017, 12:23 AM   #1
StrikerFury

Send a message via AIM to StrikerFury Send a message via MSN to StrikerFury
LED low beam conversion guide

LED Low beam conversion guide!
Since LEDs are actually viable as a now beam I went ahead and installed some on my Celica. For this guide you will have to remove the headlight and you should do the “Smiley Face/UFO removal” mod in my other guide.
https://www.newcelica.org/forums/show...86#post6237386

That being said you’ll need H7 adapters/spacers which you can buy or modify your stock ones. I modified a set for HIDs; or you can bend your retainer clips to hold the bulbs better but I’m not about that ghetto life. They’re known as “H7 LED adapter” and look like this. Not all LED bulbs are the same so I can’t guarantee this will work for you. I also purchased 95mm headlight dust caps so I could keep my stock ones.

First remove headlight
Remove stock bulb and unscrew the retainer screw holds the low beam bulb clip in

My bulb has a removable H7 clip and looks basically like this, if you push down and twist the clip will come off

This is the adapter removed off the LED bulb

Remove the O-Ring

Now this is where the “H7 LED adapter” will be installed however I cut the base off the HID adapter. Here is what it looks like unmodified and a stock bulb for comparison.

Here is what it looks like after I chopped the base off and widened the hole

Next cut you’ll modify the aftermarket dust caps, here are what mine looked like (10 bucks off amazon)

Next cut a hole so the LED headlight bulb will fit through, not too snug and not too loose. The boot will act as the new O-Ring

Now assemble in this order dust cap > modified spacer > original H7 adapter
You’ll have to spin the spacer around to align with the slots with the headlight so test fit and it will look like this assembled

The retainer clip will have to go in the inside of the boot like this

Insert the bulb, mess around to get the clip back under the screw and on the clip then put the boot around the housing.

Done!

Last edited by StrikerFury; 02-07-2017 at 09:06 PM..
StrikerFury is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2017, 04:35 AM   #2
DxBOY15
@celicatoast

on a roll recently huh Strikerfury ? How do you like the LEDs VS HIDs?
Old 02-01-2017, 10:13 AM   #3
StrikerFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by DxBOY15 View Post
on a roll recently huh Strikerfury ? How do you like the LEDs VS HIDs?
Wanted to give back, thanks to this community and guides I got into cars so hopefully this will help someone out there.
I only compared it against my 4 year old 35w HID kit and side by side you can't really tell but when driving and far distance the LED is clearly brighter. Not a crazy amount brighter but clearly throws light farther compared to a generic DDM tuning 35w 6000k kit. I have 3000k 35w HID fogs and these clearly over power them in light throw. Also instant on and off is just so sexy to me no more warm up which isn't that big of a deal but ain't nobody got time for that.
StrikerFury is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2017, 06:09 AM   #4
narly charley
Poopin' on Scrubz

Have you thought about retrofitting some Morimoto projectors in there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfunny107 View Post
I am a small Asian person

narly charley is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
StrikerFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by narly charley View Post
Have you thought about retrofitting some Morimoto projectors in there?
Thought about it, but I'd probably have to hack quite a bit to get it to fit
I was going to do a Quad projector setup instead but no funds
Old 02-26-2017, 10:06 PM   #6
poleclimber63

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikerFury View Post
Wanted to give back, thanks to this community and guides I got into cars so hopefully this will help someone out there.
I only compared it against my 4 year old 35w HID kit and side by side you can't really tell but when driving and far distance the LED is clearly brighter. Not a crazy amount brighter but clearly throws light farther compared to a generic DDM tuning 35w 6000k kit. I have 3000k 35w HID fogs and these clearly over power them in light throw. Also instant on and off is just so sexy to me no more warm up which isn't that big of a deal but ain't nobody got time for that.
Awesome, I'm really interested in this low beam retrofit. As I drive half the year in darkness to work, early, over unlit roads, I can say the lack of low beam brightness is bordering on dangerous. I see you were upgrading from a HID kit but I'm still stock. I visited the UFO thread as well and I understand you recommend the UFO mod then the retrofit in this thread.
I have a question, what LED bulb are you using? You said others may not fit, but seeing yours works, it would simplify the job.

Thanks, in advance!!!
poleclimber63 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:20 AM   #7
Bitter

Goodbye hotspot and distance vision, hello flooded out overblown useless foreground. I guess they're great if you don't like seeing far down the road.
Originally Posted by JCMiller View Post
I'm gay
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98
no, don't even waste your time. if you want a honest sticker, at least get one that says "objects in mirror aren't really racing, so quit trying"...
Bitter is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:51 AM   #8
nfc1314

Have tried the same set up a year ago. Agree wit Bitter, it looks great on pic, it sucks for driving down on the road with 5 feets visibility. I guess if the low beam has 4~5 LED line up and point at the same direction to the front(like the 2017 Acura RLX) it may work .
nfc1314 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:02 AM   #9
StrikerFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by poleclimber63 View Post
Awesome, I'm really interested in this low beam retrofit. As I drive half the year in darkness to work, early, over unlit roads, I can say the lack of low beam brightness is bordering on dangerous. I see you were upgrading from a HID kit but I'm still stock. I visited the UFO thread as well and I understand you recommend the UFO mod then the retrofit in this thread.
I have a question, what LED bulb are you using? You said others may not fit, but seeing yours works, it would simplify the job.

Thanks, in advance!!!
If you drive in complete darkness you should stick with some nice halogen bulbs with OEM housings, because halogens make give a brighter "hot spot" which gives you farther seeing distance. These are brighter but as Bitter said more of a flood light than a spot light. Your other option would be 03+ OEM HIDs but that usually breaks the bank. These is the kit I used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LCE19N4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
Goodbye hotspot and distance vision, hello flooded out overblown useless foreground. I guess they're great if you don't like seeing far down the road.
They throw light farther and brighter than OEM housing with a DDM Tuning 35w HID kit and I live in the city so roads are all lit over here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfc1314 View Post
Have tried the same set up a year ago. Agree wit Bitter, it looks great on pic, it sucks for driving down on the road with 5 feets visibility. I guess if the low beam has 4~5 LED line up and point at the same direction to the front(like the 2017 Acura RLX) it may work .
I avoided generic LED headlights especially kits that didn't specifically tell what brand and type of LEDs they used, ones that say "CREE LED" or "COB LED" and nothing else. The kit I got has CREE XHP50 chips so the throw isn't terrible
Old 02-27-2017, 11:38 AM   #10
StrikerFury

Here is a video test of the difference

https://youtu.be/OCFgulqRDrc
Old 02-27-2017, 04:35 PM   #11
Bitter

It's not the brand of LED, it's that LED can't replicate a filament which is what the halogen bowl is designed to harvest light from. There's HUGE gaps in output which can end up in critical areas. Our halogen projectors are some of the absolute best out there, Osram Rally 65W bulbs with a heavy wire harness will produce an actual 2500 bulb lumen, what the losses through the projector are exactly I do not know. With that setup the hot spot is incredibly intense and they have phenomenal distance lighting, if you need light close up turn on the 'fog' lights. They actually have better distance than the 03 HID does, no joke.
I'm gay
Quote:
no, don't even waste your time. if you want a honest sticker, at least get one that says "objects in mirror aren't really racing, so quit trying"...
Old 02-27-2017, 05:50 PM   #12
StrikerFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
It's not the brand of LED, it's that LED can't replicate a filament which is what the halogen bowl is designed to harvest light from. There's HUGE gaps in output which can end up in critical areas. Our halogen projectors are some of the absolute best out there, Osram Rally 65W bulbs with a heavy wire harness will produce an actual 2500 bulb lumen, what the losses through the projector are exactly I do not know. With that setup the hot spot is incredibly intense and they have phenomenal distance lighting, if you need light close up turn on the 'fog' lights. They actually have better distance than the 03 HID does, no joke.
Which is why I recommended halogens for pure dark driving
All I said is these LEDs throw farther than HIDs, I never said HIDs or LEDs throw farther than halogens
Old 02-27-2017, 06:47 PM   #13
Bitter

You do also understand that HID in Halogen suffers similar issues, mixing and matching light sources just doesn't work out right. Halogen goes in halogen, HID goes in HID, the bowls, cutoffs, and focal points of the lenses and optics are all different. Mixing parts doesn't work properly. Even just the Rally H7 has some issues, albeit minor. The H9 filament is slightly longer so there's a slight loss in focus and the huge increase in sheer lumen output really makes the flaws in the light distribution much more pronounced, but since it's still a halogen light source it's close enough.

LED's emit light not in a sphere but in a partial sphere, at best a hemisphere but not with uniform intensity. Some parts of the bowl get way more light than they should and other parts get much less to none. There's also those big gaps in output created by the 'stalk' the LED's lay on. You might get more light but you won't get more light in the right places. Having too much light close to the bumper is very comforting, it's easy on your eyes and it makes you feel safe. It's a false sense of security though, and it's all about how our minds play tricks on us. When you go from the bright outside to even a well lit indoor room you can't see shit for a moment while your eyes adjust, well that blown out foreground is causing your pupils to shrink down so you actually are able to see LESS outside that brightly lit area right ahead of the car. Now say you're doing 45 on a road in the suburbs and there's street lights and the first say 50 feet ahead of your car is blasted with light, things are great, you can see EVERYTHING except that dude on the sidewalk who's about to step out in front of you. Oh but you'll see him in time right? You're covering 66 feet every second, it'll take you at least a full second to determine that there's an object in your path, another at best 1/2 2nd to formulate and execute a plan. In those 1.5 seconds you've gone almost 100 feet, but you can't really see 100 feet ahead clearly because your pupils are chillin in the brightly lit comfort zone that's only 50 feet ahead. And your eyes will always chill there where it's brightest. That's why headlights have a hot spot that's the brightest lit area furthest away from the vehicle. It's super pronounced with the halogen headlamp since there's only supposed to be about 1500 lumen to work with per lamp, so they put most of it in that spot, with some to the sides and a very little to the foreground. With the HID they've got about 3000 lumen to work with, so they spread it out into a big wide band along the cutoff to light a wide area farther out down the road. What your LED's do is take that hot spot away and make a huge almost uniform blast of light on the road, so what's right in front is as brightly lit as what's farther away. Because things closer are always brighter due to less light lost to reflective scatter your eyes will naturally use that brightly lit foreground to set the amount of pupil shrink appropriate, but at night that's not what you want. You want those little pinholes in your baby blue's wide open so the area above the cutoff and to the sides and all around aren't just inky blackness. So you can see that silhouette about to step out in front of you 100ft down the road.

Believe me, I WANT drop in LED bulbs to work. It would be awesome. They just don't. The optics don't work in safe ways. Seemingly mundane speeds like 45mph are incredibly fast when you consider how slow human reactions are.
I'm gay
Quote:
Old 03-01-2017, 12:01 PM   #14
StrikerFury

Old 03-01-2017, 04:56 PM   #15
Bitter

let me illustrate, just play along with me. Which headlight is brighter? Camera settings were locked, same bulb, same ballast, same location, same time, same ambient light.

Now, which headlight is which?

I'm gay
Quote:
Old 03-15-2017, 06:08 PM   #16
Bitter

Here, maybe this makes it more clear why LED don't work correctly and fool you into thinking you can see better.

I'm gay
Quote:
Old 03-16-2017, 04:42 AM   #17
DxBOY15
@celicatoast

We are still debating on this topic lol?
Old 03-16-2017, 05:36 AM   #18
Bitter

There's no debate, just facts. Not even alternative facts.
I'm gay
Quote:
Old 03-18-2017, 07:57 AM   #19
poleclimber63

I went out and bought new top line Sylvania Halogen bulbs. Much better than my originals. Price wasnt bad--- I'm satisfied with the result. It definitely provided better distance visibility, and as they "white" it seems clearer. Thanks for the advice.
poleclimber63 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:31 AM   #20
Bitter

Those are good bulbs, sadly the Osram Rally H7 is discontinued.
http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html
But they've got a Vosla bulb that's supposed to be the similar, but I don't know if it's a rebased H9 like the Rally was or if it's a boosted short life H7.

With the Rally bulbs and a relay wire harness of the correct gauge the lighting from the halogen headlamps was absolutely stunning and the bulb life was still very very good. Halogen bulbs do loose some brightness as they age, not as dramatic as HID lamps. Voltage makes a huge difference in the light output and life span. The low beams are very easy to change on the Celica and H7 bulbs fairly inexpensive, running heavier wiring for full voltage will bump light output appreciably. You can buy a dual relay HID harness and just wire on H7 connectors in place of the 9006 connectors that come on those.
I'm gay
Quote: