Support NCO
Google

Old 02-03-2014, 07:53 AM   #101
T3HKMAN
Work Done, Sexy Time.

Send a message via AIM to T3HKMAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline Vulpine View Post
Honestly I hadn't thought about making it faster, I just want it to not break! It is already reasonably fast... Evo X barely pulls on me!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wait...what? Not to change the subject but what do you call barely/ what mods do you have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #102
Redline Vulpine
Registered Loser

Dc metro meet pictures!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3HKMAN View Post
Wait...what? Not to change the subject but what do you call barely/ what mods do you have?

2004 Celica GT-S: K&N SRI, custom decatted mid pipe and HKS Silent Hi-Power exhaust, Exedy Stage 1 clutch, Fidanza flywheel, KYB AGX with Tanabe springs. I have more stuff than that, but it either doesn't affect performance or wasn't on my car at the time. Raced stock Evo X on the highway starting at like 70mph... it got away from me only very slowly, and I even had a person in the car with me! It was close enough that the driver wanted more races out of me. You have to remember that for straight line speed, the Evo X has the advantage of power and torque, but that's it. Celica is lighter, more aerodynamic, and even has more gears (manual Evo X is only a five speed). Power to weight ratio wise, if my car has 200hp and weighs 2500lbs, then that is 160hp/ton. An Evo X at 291hp and 3517lbs is 165.5hp/ton. It's not that big of a difference! I even just raced a brand new Cadillac with the 318hp 3.6L V6, was neck and neck until 80, then pulled away from it once I was in fourth gear. The GT-S isn't the fastest car around, but the low weight makes it a formidable vehicle, especially when you consider that its real speciality is handling.
Redline Vulpine is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #103
party2go
It is known.

Send a message via AIM to party2go
Quote:
I saw that too.

2004 Celica GTS - April 2012 - Present
2000 Honda S2000 - Sept 2011 - Present
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 - August 2015 - Present
2007 Ponitac Solstice GXP - August 2015 - Present
party2go is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #104
XBernie
is NSFW

Send a message via AIM to XBernie
An 04 GTS won't make 200hp NA without a DD IM and a Power FC.
It wouldn't be a good idea to be racing people with your motor knocking.

{the8M6syndicate} - 002
TeamUltraspeed
WFC#190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtra Big Kahuna View Post
Damn right he does. Everybody raves about his wood.
XBernie is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #105
Redline Vulpine
Registered Loser

Dc metro meet pictures!!

The motor has 180 stock... I have an SRI, midpipe and exhaust, and a flywheel. People on here say the flywheel alone can be good for 15hp. I guess you guys have been living in tuner dyno sheet world too long... the automotive industry measures power at the crankshaft (ALL SAE standards). No one ever said anything about power to the wheels! Don't be so negative, haha. Here's the facts: I matched then beat a car with 158hp/ton, and got slowly pulled on by a car with 165hp/ton. That basically puts me between those ranges, which puts me in the 200hp range. I never said I had 200hp anyway, I said IF I did to give a nice round number for the math example of the closeness in power to weight ratios. I didn't think my car was as quick as it is until I started beating turbo Genesis' and WRXs. Also, car not knocking... it is clicking/tapping. I have been irresponsible with how much I have been driving it, but it is my only car and I don't have much of a choice! I haven't been dogging it lately though. ;P

Last edited by Redline Vulpine; 02-03-2014 at 03:53 PM..
Old 02-03-2014, 04:42 PM   #106
alexeslinger
Lurker

Quote:
People on here say the flywheel alone can be good for 15hp
First: Flywheels don't add power. Second... who the f*ck said that?

Quote:
Also, car not knocking...
Third: Who decided this?

Fourth: Bench racing and street racing show a lack of maturity (in MY opinion).... I'm not going to get into a flame war with you but please stop while you're ahead... if you want to race I can take you to some autoX events and you can go as fast as you possibly can without a Paul Walker-style death.

Speaking of... here's a quick shot from yesterday!

-Alex
Old 02-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #107
Redline Vulpine
Registered Loser

Dc metro meet pictures!!

I never said a flywheel added power, but I am saying that it takes less energy to turn a lighter one so the engine has more energy to put toward the final product. It is attached to the crankshaft... isnt that how it works? I just thought that was common knowledge. The website offers up members' dyno results, and I thought someone saying that was something I had come across in my research before buying one. As far as knocking goes, I would say the sound it is making is a tapping or clicking, and not like the knocking of an engine like when they have no oil or something. If you mean knocking as some technical term for whatever is wrong with my engine then I have no idea! In terms of maturity, this Celica is my fifth vehicle in twelve years of driving, all preceding were crashed/totaled, some in stupendous accidents that should have taken my life. I have made a conscious effort and decision to be cautious with my Celica, both because of personal safety and also because driving a beater for four years taught me about respecting my car in general. All of that said, that doesn't mean I'm not going to have a couple pulls now and then against someone on the highway. I didn't buy a sporty car to pose... if I could afford the tires I would auto cross! I would love to go! I should also note I am happy with who I am, and I do not seek the approval of strangers in regard to morality. I just came here for advice and to share my passion and experiences with my car, and I got met with skepticism and elitism. I apologize if I somehow come off in a negative way with how I try to analyze things with such depth, and I certainly wasn't going to just roll over... seems like I should have just kept it to myself! I am STILL saying that my car must be making almost 200hp at the crank based on my research about what it has done to it and the cars that I have beaten... it's pretty disheartening how down people are about their model of car man, I thought people would be happy to hear about the little underdog giving the greats a run for their money! The whole purpose of me saying it in the first place was just to back up how I was satisfied with its speed... am I lying to myself?

Last edited by Redline Vulpine; 02-03-2014 at 06:12 PM..
Old 02-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #108
party2go
It is known.

Quote:
I never said a flywheel added power, but I am saying that it takes less energy to turn a lighter one so the engine has more energy to put toward the final product. It is attached to the crankshaft... isnt that how it works? I just thought that was common knowledge. The website offers up members' dyno results, and I thought someone saying that was something I had come across in my research before buying one. As far as knocking goes, I would say the sound it is making is a tapping or clicking, and not like the knocking of an engine like when they have no oil or something. If you mean knocking as some technical term for whatever is wrong with my engine then I have no idea! In terms of maturity, this Celica is my fifth vehicle in twelve years of driving, all preceding were crashed/totaled, some in stupendous accidents that should have taken my life. I have made a conscious effort and decision to be cautious with my Celica, both because of personal safety and also because driving a beater for four years taught me about respecting my car in general. All of that said, that doesn't mean I'm not going to have a couple pulls now and then against someone on the highway. I didn't buy a sporty car to pose... if I could afford the tires I would auto cross! I would love to go! I should also note I am happy with who I am, and I do not seek the approval of strangers in regard to morality. I just came here for advice and to share my passion and experiences with my car, and I got met with skepticism and elitism. I apologize if I somehow come off in a negative way with how I try to analyze things with such depth, and I certainly wasn't going to just roll over... seems like I should have just kept it to myself! I am STILL saying that my car must be making almost 200hp at the crank based on my research about what it has done to it and the cars that I have beaten... it's pretty disheartening how down people are about their model of car man, I thought people would be happy to hear about the little underdog giving the greats a run for their money! The whole purpose of me saying it in the first place was just to back up how I was satisfied with its speed... am I lying to myself?

Flywheels don't make power, just makes the engine use the power you have quicker.

Most of us have been around long enough and have seen new people start spewing numbers and saying they beat this or that car; it justs gets old, ya know? I personally have gone through more 7th gen celicas than anyone on this site. My wife has had a GT and two GTSs. I've had a GT and a GTS you see in my sig. I know what they're capable of.

Also, capital raceway still has test n tunes on Friday nights (I believe) if you want to race safely.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:17 PM   #109
gjkissel2

Quote:
Originally Posted by party2go View Post
I've had a GT and a GTS you see in my sig. I know what they're capable of.
the answer is not much

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMiller View Post
I'm fucking cool. My e-cred just went up 7 pts.
gjkissel2 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:36 AM   #110
Redline Vulpine
Registered Loser

Dc metro meet pictures!!

As I said, I am happy with its performance... I was just saying why. My car has been surprising people since I've owned it and I just wanted to share some war stories! Whether or not anyone believes me is not important, I guess. I am taking my car in to Toyota today for diagnosis... does anyone know anything about baking paint on to something in an oven? I don't want to ruin my oven or something. I'm going to search but I figured if try to keep conversation alive.

Last edited by Redline Vulpine; 02-04-2014 at 05:32 AM..
Old 02-04-2014, 05:37 AM   #111
party2go
It is known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjkissel2 View Post
the answer is not much
Says you. The previous owner of my GT went 14.7 in the 1/4. Do a search for the screen name Maelfyn on the 1/4 mile list for N/A GTs. I myself only bested 15.4, but I didn't go to nearly the lengths he did to do it. On my fastest pass I nearly beat a 02 GTS (stock 7800 rpm fuel cut).

I haven't taken the GTS to the track and probably never will. My track days are done.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:05 AM   #112
Redline Vulpine
Registered Loser

Dc metro meet pictures!!

So after more research I see that I misunderstood exactly how the lighter flywheel increases power... the engine has a maximum speed of rotation and that is measured at a constant RPM when the engine is not being resisted by the flywheel. So a lighter flywheel won't increase maximum power, but it does increase the power being transmitted up until that point, which is what I must have read here. So my car doesn't have higher overall power, but the power curve on a dyno graph would be similar to a car that does. I get it now!

Old 02-04-2014, 07:37 AM   #113
party2go
It is known.

Quote:
I get it now!
The more you know!

Old 02-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #114
Redline Vulpine
Registered Loser

Dc metro meet pictures!!

Just made my appointment to drop off my car at Toyota... wish me luck.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #115
Redline Vulpine
Registered Loser

Dc metro meet pictures!!

Car at Toyota... I'll owe them at least $105.00 at this point!

Old 02-04-2014, 03:56 PM   #116
T3HKMAN
Work Done, Sexy Time.

Quote:
2004 Celica GT-S: K&N SRI, custom decatted mid pipe and HKS Silent Hi-Power exhaust, Exedy Stage 1 clutch, Fidanza flywheel, KYB AGX with Tanabe springs. I have more stuff than that, but it either doesn't affect performance or wasn't on my car at the time. Raced stock Evo X on the highway starting at like 70mph... it got away from me only very slowly, and I even had a person in the car with me! It was close enough that the driver wanted more races out of me. You have to remember that for straight line speed, the Evo X has the advantage of power and torque, but that's it. Celica is lighter, more aerodynamic, and even has more gears (manual Evo X is only a five speed). Power to weight ratio wise, if my car has 200hp and weighs 2500lbs, then that is 160hp/ton. An Evo X at 291hp and 3517lbs is 165.5hp/ton. It's not that big of a difference! I even just raced a brand new Cadillac with the 318hp 3.6L V6, was neck and neck until 80, then pulled away from it once I was in fourth gear. The GT-S isn't the fastest car around, but the low weight makes it a formidable vehicle, especially when you consider that its real speciality is handling.
Sure ok, I buy this story with the Evo X only with Evo X not downshifting cause the exact same thing happened the one time I bothered to race my friend in his Evo 9MR. He's not stock and my Celica has more performance mods than what you listed. He didn't bother to downshift either and he still walked me so I wouldn't be too excited. Anyways good luck with the repairs.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:31 PM   #117
Redline Vulpine
Registered Loser

Dc metro meet pictures!!

My math still stands... my car is only a small amount of horsepower per ton down on an Evo even if it isn't 200hp. Again, the Celica also has more gears and is more aerodynamic. There are other variables... maybe the person driving it weighed 350lbs? I have no idea. We pulled a couple times on the highway, he got away from me, but it was close enough that he wouldn't leave me alone and wanted to keep going over and over. It wasn't a race from a stop. Even after that, I straight up just beat a $60,000 Cadillac with only 8hp/ton less than an Evo (more power and torque than Evo but more weight also). If you don't believe me I don't really care... I don't know you and will probably never meet you! I'm sorry that you guys I guess think I'm just some poser talking shit or something, lol. The car only has to gain 20hp to be almost on par with the cars I'm talking about, I have a handful of mods, and people here are acting like it is out of this freaking universe that I could even be close to that range; like even 10-15hp and the situations I am describing are plausible just by doing the math. Ah, the good old internet. :P

Old 02-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #118
Redline Vulpine
Registered Loser

Dc metro meet pictures!!

In fact, when I beat the Cadillac I had my windows down! Another car that pulled on me slowly was a Kia Optima w/ turbo... I had a passenger with me though. I understand how you guys feel but I stand behind my experience, haha. I do apologize for causing trouble I guess!

Last edited by Redline Vulpine; 02-04-2014 at 04:57 PM..
Old 02-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #119
T3HKMAN
Work Done, Sexy Time.

It's cool man I'm not here to start a thread war with you and I could totally buy your story with the Evo not really trying or not knowing how to drive but when you mention things like gearing when 6th is ONLY for fuel economy/cruising my red flags get raised. Welcome to the site, and good luck with your Celica repairs.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:33 PM   #120
Redline Vulpine
Registered Loser

Dc metro meet pictures!!

Yeah, I mean my story is basically that I raced an Evo and if pulled on me, haha. It's all good... BTW, if you roll your car racing, just tap the left thumbstick to flip it back over.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:58 AM   #121
XBernie
is NSFW

Send a message via AIM to XBernie
We've all been around for quite a while so we know the capabilities of a celica.
Like Tehk said, when you bring up variables like aerodynamics and say that the GTS is geared better because of the 6th gear, makes it kind of hard to believe you're not 16 years old lol.

{the8M6syndicate} - 002
TeamUltraspeed
WFC#190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtra Big Kahuna View Post
Damn right he does. Everybody raves about his wood.
XBernie is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:34 AM   #122
Redline Vulpine
Registered Loser

Dc metro meet pictures!!

So you're saying aerodynamics do not affect the speed of a car? I've never topped my car out so I didn't know it hit max speed in 5th gear; why wouldn't they put an overdrive on the Evo? It is interesting how you equate someone who may be misinformed, is clearly capable of understanding anything you try to explain, and wants to learn the truth, to someone who is 16. We should all be 16 again! No one here seems to actually want to explain anything, but they seem to have plenty of time to be condescending. ANYWAY... my car is at Toyota and I should hear back about the diagnosis today. Does anyone know if I take the valve cover from them to paint and bake in my oven, am I going to ruin my oven??

Last edited by Redline Vulpine; 02-05-2014 at 05:43 AM..
Old 02-05-2014, 06:06 AM   #123
party2go
It is known.

Quote:
So you're saying aerodynamics do not affect the speed of a car?
The drag coefficient only helps so much.

Quote:
I've never topped my car out so I didn't know it hit max speed in 5th gear;
Our cars do not make enough power to go any faster in 6th gear.

Quote:
why wouldn't they put an overdrive on the Evo?
I believe some Evos are 6spds. It just depends how they are geared. For the ones that are 5 spds, 5th gear is considered overdrive.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:54 AM   #124
Redline Vulpine
Registered Loser

Dc metro meet pictures!!

I had a 4.0L Ranger that was limited to 93mph (apparently this is the maximum safe speed at which you can slam the brakes and not flip the truck over forwards) so it topped out in 4th, and 5th was just labelled "OD." So a gear only used for economy is what I automatically associate with overdrive, as opposed to a gear with less than 1:1 gear ratio. :P

Old 02-05-2014, 10:28 AM   #125
Redline Vulpine
Registered Loser

Dc metro meet pictures!!

So Toyota has told me that the noise I'm getting is the lifters, and they're not going to charge me. They didn't open the engine and are suggesting engine rebuild or new engine. They said that it's not on the verge of detonating but that it will get louder until it fails someday. I'm going to get the car now, then probably take it over to a good tuning shop for a second opinion. Anyone have any thoughts on this? The lifters?

Old 02-05-2014, 10:53 AM   #126
Redline Vulpine
Registered Loser

Dc metro meet pictures!!

Actually on my receipt it says "NORMAL AT 170K MILES." It seems too loud to be normal to me?

Old 05-26-2014, 07:42 AM   #127
livejordan
SLO2ZZ

Quote:
Lol where are you from in VA? Talking like this makes me want to run you at a track. I have more done to my car and don't make probably anywhere close to 200hp, but i can assure you i'd outrun you.

v v t L - i
livejordan is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:59 AM   #128
party2go
It is known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livejordan View Post
Lol where are you from in VA? Talking like this makes me want to run you at a track. I have more done to my car and don't make probably anywhere close to 200hp, but i can assure you i'd outrun you.
He's up closer to me....Manassass I think. If you have more done then you shouldn't have a problem. He'd be a closer match for me as I have the same year with only a magnaflow exhaust, ACT clutch, and fidanza flywheel. Although, I have about 95k less miles on my car.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:34 PM   #129
T3HKMAN
Work Done, Sexy Time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livejordan View Post
Nah just leave that guy alone Jordan, pretty sure party2go and I set him fairly straight plus he seems to be having some mechanical issues. No need to kick a man while he's down. I'm always down for some friendly runs though, let me know.

Scotty good to see you at the Springfield Meet tonight, thanks again for that favor.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:55 PM   #130
livejordan
SLO2ZZ

Quote:
Nah just leave that guy alone Jordan, pretty sure party2go and I set him fairly straight plus he seems to be having some mechanical issues. No need to kick a man while he's down. I'm always down for some friendly runs though, let me know.

Scotty good to see you at the Springfield Meet tonight, thanks again for that favor.
Haha man just the logic of some of these guys astounds me..

v v t L - i
livejordan is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:28 AM   #131
gjkissel2

scotty are the springfields mostly every monday? im upset i didnt get to go today

Quote:
Old 05-27-2014, 06:01 AM   #132
party2go
It is known.

Quote:
scotty are the springfields mostly every monday? im upset i didnt get to go today
Yes, weather permitting.
Quote:
You're welcome. Sorry, I couldn't make it back out; ya know husband duties.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:23 PM   #133
T3HKMAN
Work Done, Sexy Time.

Quote:
Yeah every Monday, this Memorial day was pretty deep. I'll post back in that thread though.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:45 PM   #134
Ddragon
The Shenron Moderator

I'll be there around August so I hope to see everyone again!! I passed my Postgraduate defense so I'll be graduating!
Retrofit Yellow Lexus Lenses--------Signatures

Ddragon is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:57 AM   #135
chixbeachgt

Congrats dude
Old 05-28-2014, 05:49 AM   #136
party2go
It is known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddragon View Post
I'll be there around August so I hope to see everyone again!! I passed my Postgraduate defense so I'll be graduating!
Hurry up already!

Old 08-21-2014, 08:40 AM   #137
JDMcelica2002

Dc metro meet pictures!!

Which Springfield meet y'all goin to? Cuz I know the hard times one got moved like 3 times
JDMcelica2002 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:07 AM   #138
party2go
It is known.

The one at Springfield Plaza got shut down about a 2 month ago which was the one I had been attending because it was right around the corner from the house . Think they moved it to Fairfax Towne Center.

Is there another meet in Springfield? I wasn't aware of any.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #139
JDMcelica2002

Dc metro meet pictures!!

I go to the one off of rolling road. it's near lorton
Old 08-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #140
party2go
It is known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMcelica2002 View Post
I go to the one off of rolling road. it's near lorton
Where and what day?

Old 08-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #141
JDMcelica2002

Dc metro meet pictures!!

Up the street from mcdonalds 7909 rolling rd Springfield. It's in the commuter lot and it's every Monday

Last edited by JDMcelica2002; 08-21-2014 at 08:48 PM..
Old 08-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #142
T3HKMAN
Work Done, Sexy Time.

The Springfield meet is back on from what I understand.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:47 PM   #143
JDMcelica2002

Dc metro meet pictures!!

It's been back on. They've just been having it in 2 different locations
Old 08-21-2014, 09:43 PM   #144
gjkissel2

i'd be down to going to one every once in a while, once i get my clutch back in, just finished messing with the new suspension today.

Quote:
Old 08-22-2014, 07:24 AM   #145
party2go
It is known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMcelica2002 View Post
2 different locations
?????

Old 08-22-2014, 07:49 AM   #146
JDMcelica2002

Dc metro meet pictures!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by party2go View Post
?????

Up the street from mcdonalds 7909 rolling rd Springfield. It's in the commuter lot and it's every Monday. Is that the one you go to?
Old 08-24-2014, 08:13 PM   #147
7thGenTux

Has the summer meet already happened?
Old 08-25-2014, 05:57 AM   #148
party2go
It is known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thGenTux View Post
Has the summer meet already happened?
The idea was put out there. But alas I think it has already died.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:47 PM   #149
gjkissel2

Quote:
Old 08-26-2014, 05:41 AM   #150
party2go
It is known.

Quote:
I think Brandon forgot about us.