How To Tighten Your Throttle Cable - NewCelica.org Forum

Install Guides Parts Catalog Gallery Tech Info

Go Back   NewCelica.org Forum > Site Information & Features > NewCelica.org - Install Guides >    Engine / Performance

Support NCO
Google

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-20-2004, 06:31 PM   #1
larryd

Send a message via AIM to larryd Send a message via Yahoo to larryd
How To Tighten Your Throttle Cable

https://www.newcelica.org/other/insta...e/throttle.htm

How to tighten your throttle cable
Please excuse the really large images, I wanted to make sure I had enough detail. A few notes before you start: 1. Don't drop anything while you're doing any of this, that's bad. It's not a fun or easy thing trying to reach your arm all the way under your engine and near your oilpan, it's warm and you think you're going to burn yourself. Should you drop something, wait like 20 minutes before going for it if your engine was warm to start with. You're not near the exhaust manifold so it's not really hot, but still you don't want you hand down there cooking too long. And 2. you'll need 2 pairs of pliers, or 2 sets of suitable wrenches, I didn't measure the site of the nuts, but the 4 of them you need to adjust should all be the same size.
The basic premise is that if your throttle is tight, you can feel when you're giving it gas and then as soon as you lose contact with the pedal, you aren't accellerating. It helps in shifting and it makes the car feel really responsive, I recommend the effort to do it.
Okay, so I had a vague idea when I popped the hood of where the throttle cable was, but just to be sure I popped the hood, sood at just the right angle to look through the hood opening near the window and pumped the gas. I was right, and this is what it looks like.
When you look under your hood you'll instantly recognize it, it's the only thing with a cable that's anywhere near accessable. Your job will be to actually move the two adjustment nuts and then tighten down the cable. You can see one of them just to the left of where the actual cable disappears.
Below you see the cable itself and the two adjustment nuts. I had to disconnect mine so that I could get the leverage to turn the nuts, there were a few tight spots, even after I got out what appeared to be glue locking it in.
So you spin the nut closest to the
throttle body until you can hold that screw against the mount and there isn't any slack on the cable, then you screw the other nut so that the cable is firmly held in
place. This is actually a little tricky, because as I found out, if you make it too tight, your throttle will be pulling and when you start the car it will idle higher
than normal. Don't do that. Definately test it after you lock it down to make sure it's idling where you think it should depending on your current engine temperature.
Probably a bad idea, but I did this after work, so my engine was warm and so I knew where it should've idled, and 3000 was way to high compared to the typical 750ish.
I loosened it a few turns and then it was fine.
Next up was Steve Won's suggestion to also tighten it at the Cruise Control this means taking
out this large piece of plastic covering the left front corner of your engine.
Getting out the little plastic tabs that
hold this cover in is possible 2 ways, push up the plastic center pin to release the tabs around it under the cover, or if you yank hard enough they will pop off and fly out at you at tremendous velocity, look out. There are a few of these that you will have to just yank because you can't get under them very well at all. They still work if you do this once, but will probably get loose if you do it numerous times.
Once you have this cover off, you repeat the tightening process which you should have mastered by now on the left side of the cruise module. You'll see the two tightening nuts and it's a little easier to do this one, on mine they weren't nearly as sticky.
Once again though, don't over tighten them, after you complete this step, make sure to test and confirm that you aren't idling too high.
That's it, you're done. Go test your new accellerator pedal and see how it feels. I think it makes the car feel more precise, and as Steve said, "makes the car feel more 'new', less sloppy. And shifting is again made less jerky, and more consistent."
Sean Bradshaw
[email protected]
larryd is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2004, 09:59 PM   #2
00bluegts

the engine plastic covers where they have the plastic tabs you were talking about can actually be pressed down in the middle and then taken out instead of pushing the center up on them from underneath. it makes it a lot easier and you dont loose them that way.
00bluegts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 08:09 PM   #3
oONoGoAutoOo

just did this, and the car feel a lot better! i think everyone should get this done.
oONoGoAutoOo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2006, 04:11 PM   #4
darkninja697

Send a message via AIM to darkninja697 Send a message via MSN to darkninja697 Send a message via Yahoo to darkninja697
just did this and totaly noticed better response
darkninja697 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:50 AM   #5
techgeekwill

im going to have to try this, does it work for the 1zz too? I imagine so, but i havent asked any stupid questions yet.
techgeekwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:27 PM   #6
ZiggyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by techgeekwill
im going to have to try this, does it work for the 1zz too? I imagine so, but i havent asked any stupid questions yet.
yup, works exactly the same
ZiggyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:45 AM   #7
GTsRasta
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA

Send a message via Yahoo to GTsRasta
ummmm

The mod sounds real good and all, but would there be any damage done to the vehicle in the long run should I do this on my 03 Celica GT-S? I wouldn't want something the car wasn't made to do to do damage to it.
GTsRasta is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 02:20 AM   #8
[email protected]

Works Great

Car feel's lot better
d@vid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:53 AM   #9
McCoy

doing it in a couple of days.
McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:22 PM   #10
FLiGGaH82

i did this, but i didn't feel any difference on the acceleration... is there anyone here that can break it down for me... maybe i did it wrong... video would deff. help out a lot.. thanks
FLiGGaH82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 02:33 PM   #11
KENANNE0219

Onogoauto, where you from in bay area, is there a chance that you can show how to adjust my throttle cable? thanks really appreciate it.
KENANNE0219 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:44 PM   #12
dachusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLiGGaH82
i did this, but i didn't feel any difference on the acceleration... is there anyone here that can break it down for me... maybe i did it wrong... video would deff. help out a lot.. thanks
Isnt going to change acceleration. This mod just makes the throttle open quicker, by making it wide open with your foot at less movement. Also this mod can be used to adjust your idle within a small range anything too much and your ECU may recalculate to have the same idle.

2010 BMW 550i GT
2004 BMW 325i
2002 Toyota Celica GT [Sold]
dachusa is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:05 PM   #13
fascelica07

yea i need'a do this
fascelica07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 08:14 PM   #14
Dasher17
Boobze

does this do anything for an Auto?
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmesofarmdgdn View Post
I'm stopped at a light looking around minding my own business thinking about that one fine chick who always passes by but I have yet to come up with a pick up line for...(I was thinking of just saying I drive a Celica

Dasher17 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:08 AM   #15
d3im05

Send a message via MSN to d3im05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher17
does this do anything for an Auto?
same result. worked for me.
d3im05 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:49 AM   #16
Pelle

Don't yank out the plastic cover, or you'll rip the tabs. instead, if you look closely at the tabs from the top, there is this groove around the rim... you can wedge a blade in there and work your way around the groove and pull up the center 'nail'

the way the tab is constructed is that theres a center, Nail shaped (nail like carpenters use) inside this outside housing. the nail part will at it's point (bottom) expand the outer housing so to hold the tab in place. If you use the above technique of dislodging the nail part, it works like a charm
Pelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:58 AM   #17
martang

Send a message via AIM to martang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle
Don't yank out the plastic cover, or you'll rip the tabs. instead, if you look closely at the tabs from the top, there is this groove around the rim... you can wedge a blade in there and work your way around the groove and pull up the center 'nail'

the way the tab is constructed is that theres a center, Nail shaped (nail like carpenters use) inside this outside housing. the nail part will at it's point (bottom) expand the outer housing so to hold the tab in place. If you use the above technique of dislodging the nail part, it works like a charm
Or you could just push in the center or the tab and it will pop right out
Old 06-15-2007, 04:31 PM   #18
Punkers7465

^^^

[email protected] with stock ecu/street tires
Punkers7465 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 01:07 AM   #19
willshatattack

oh man throttle feels soooo much nicer. didnt think this would help as much as it did. thanks for the idea bro.
willshatattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:31 PM   #20
Kylle

nice... Works great..

Last edited by Kylle; 07-19-2007 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: wrong word
Kylle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:40 PM   #21
JG201

my car has a hard time idling after this
JG201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:37 PM   #22
liljoe513

my car got a CEL after this
CURRENT MODS: Eibach Sportline Springs //TWM SS w/ Type R Weighted Shift Knob//AEM CAI//Custom Made Greddy EVO II Exhaust//Unorthodox Light-weight Racing Flywheel//ACT Stage I Performance Clutch//Hella 6000K HIDs//Removed A/C//CAMCON VVT-i Controller//Tuned Innovations Ground Wire Kit//TRD Sports Thermostat//Black w/ Red Lip 17" SporMax 006

FUTURE MODS:PPE Race Header//P&P Throttle Boddy
liljoe513 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:14 PM   #23
vin2490

yeah the car feels alot more responsive now...real nice write up.
vin2490 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:17 PM   #24
tcoletta

is it necessary to do the cruise control after this? shouldn't the cable on the throttle alone fix the problem? thanks for the input.
tcoletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:27 AM   #25
dachusa

^^^ Its not necessary to do the cruise control after this. Do either or. The cruse control will typically be the easier to perform.

2010 BMW 550i GT
2004 BMW 325i
Old 11-20-2007, 07:33 AM   #26
dachusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG201
my car has a hard time idling after this
You may have tightened the cable too much. Try performing this with your car running, and tighten/loosen the nuts in the cruise control box. After each adjustment I suggest pushing the throttle to reset the idle (you can do this under the hood). After I had mine tightened and the idle sounded good I double checked the tach to make sure it wasnt too high. Warning: if you tune it to high the EUC tends to try and adjust the idle back down, which may result in a CEL.

2010 BMW 550i GT
2004 BMW 325i
Old 11-26-2007, 09:59 PM   #27
.2002SilverGT

Well wait, when your throttle cable is loose or slack wouldn't that cause the car to idle at a lower rpm? Correct me if i'm wrong but this mod just seems to adjust your idle rpm and tightening it will just raise the idling point?

2002 GT

Show
17" Matrix OE 5spoke / Tein Stechs / 8000k HID's HI LOW FOG / 5% all around / TYC Reds

Go
Injen CAI / TPR Exhaust / Ebay SS / RMM front strutbar / TRD 3point rear strut brace
.2002SilverGT is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:33 PM   #28
GreenBerett

hey guys, i just did this in like 5 mins. easiest enhancement to do. i suggest going the cruise control way, if you can. its alot easier to access than the actual throttle cable.
GreenBerett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:38 PM   #29
slidr

Quote:
Originally Posted by .2002SilverGT
Well wait, when your throttle cable is loose or slack wouldn't that cause the car to idle at a lower rpm? Correct me if i'm wrong but this mod just seems to adjust your idle rpm and tightening it will just raise the idling point?
If you tighten it too much, then the throttle plate will always remained open which will increase your idle.

Too much slack and your idle will be where it's supposed to be. The throttle plate can't close more than it can when it's closed. It's like closing a door and then telling someone to close it more.

If you want to adjust your idle, i.e. raise it up, don't overtighten the cable, but raise the throttle stop screw up a little.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:46 PM   #30
.2002SilverGT

ah cool i should have thought of that

2002 GT

Show
17" Matrix OE 5spoke / Tein Stechs / 8000k HID's HI LOW FOG / 5% all around / TYC Reds

Go
Injen CAI / TPR Exhaust / Ebay SS / RMM front strutbar / TRD 3point rear strut brace
.2002SilverGT is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:11 PM   #31
DesigningEcho

So is the cruise control one tied in with the normal throttle? Or is it necessary to have both?
DesigningEcho is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:48 PM   #32
TRD_Celica00

Send a message via ICQ to TRD_Celica00 Send a message via AIM to TRD_Celica00 Send a message via MSN to TRD_Celica00 Send a message via Yahoo to TRD_Celica00
its awesome! thanks i thought it was gonna be hard but it was common sense

Lela Star/Raven Riley
Quote:
Originally Posted by idontownacelica
LMFAOOOOO of alllllllll the things I've seen peopel on this forum do to their cars you're gonna tell me that putting racing stripes is ricer?!!
Gefilte fish?
TRD_Celica00 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:51 AM   #33
2000celicagtmg
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to 2000celicagtmg
Going to do this tomorrow weather permitting.....looks easy enough....we shall see
2000celicagtmg is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote