Light Weight Battery - NewCelica.org Forum

Install Guides Parts Catalog Gallery Tech Info

Go Back   NewCelica.org Forum > Site Information & Features > NewCelica.org - Install Guides >    Engine / Performance

Support NCO
Google

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-14-2004, 11:22 AM   #1
voidhawk

Send a message via ICQ to voidhawk Send a message via AIM to voidhawk Send a message via Yahoo to voidhawk
Light Weight Battery

After 2.5 years my stock battery gave out, so I figured if it needs replacing might as well go with a lighter / high performance one. Many people use Optima batteries which are good for large sound systems, but actually heavier than the stock battery. Here's a comparison table of possible high-performance batteries and the stock one:

If you drive your car daily (battery recharges often) or only track and don't mind using a trickle charger for storage, you can get away with a very small battery for some significant weight savings. Since I drive my car mostly only on weekends and didn't want to bother with a trickle charger for storage, I went just one step lower capacity than stock (PC925LMJ). This is a very high performance battery with sealed cells (safer for racing), and excellent starting power (CCA), it saves you about 10 lb over stock (in the place where the Celica needs it most) and will still be able to power the alarm for ~3 weeks if the car is not used.

The dimensions are such that the "L" model with the reversed terminals fits nicely in the existing battery tray, when mounted on the side. Since this is a motorcycle battery, it does not come with SAE terminals out-of-the-box. The place I bought mine gave me a used pair for free. Use some thread-lock before screwing them on for set-and-forget operation.

The stock tie down is too big, and the tie down that came with my RMM strut bar is too tall. Summit Racing offers a billet aluminum tray + tie down if you want bling ($100), but I just use a cheap adjustable plastic one ($4) with the stock tie-hooks.

The tie-down is too wide for the small battery, so I pulled it apart, cut it, and hot-glued it back together. The tie end pieces fit nicely into the battery handles on one side, providing both side-to-side and front-back stability.

For about $40 more than a stock replacement battery you just shaved 10 lb of your car in a critical location - not as effective as battery relocation, but way easier / cheaper.
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2005, 10:34 PM   #2
YaNg^_^GuY

damn, that's a cool looking battery. need to look into getting it. got a Apex Universal Grounding Kit and a stonger and smaller battery would do me a lot of good. thanks for the info! ;p oh yeah, what's the voltage difference between the battery that you're using to the stock battery?

Later,
Kou
YaNg^_^GuY is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 04:06 AM   #3
voidhawk

Send a message via ICQ to voidhawk Send a message via AIM to voidhawk Send a message via Yahoo to voidhawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaNg^_^GuY
damn, that's a cool looking battery. need to look into getting it. got a Apex Universal Grounding Kit and a stonger and smaller battery would do me a lot of good. thanks for the info! ;p oh yeah, what's the voltage difference between the battery that you're using to the stock battery?

Later,
Kou
No difference in voltage .

Old 07-23-2006, 09:54 PM   #4
Hotpocketdeath

This is more of an Update concerning Optima Redtop Batteries. I have a redtop 75/35-925 and is different from the one posted at the top.

Optima Redtop
Weight=33lbs (lighter then stock battery)
Capacity=54ah (RCx0.60 roughly)
CCA=720 (cold cranking amps)
CA=910 (cranking amps)
RC=90 (reserve capacity in minutes discharge 25amps at 80degrees)

Dimensions (shorter then stock)
height= 7 inches
depth = 6.750 inches
width = 9 inches

The only mod you have to do to get it to fit is thread the hold downs about an inch farther down the rod. and that's it.

Fits great. Smaller and Lighter then stock.

here's a pic of it

Last edited by Hotpocketdeath; 07-23-2006 at 10:15 PM..
Hotpocketdeath is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:45 AM   #5
Moron

When I call Optima, they keep telling me they have nothing for the Celica, what is up with them?
Moron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:50 PM   #6
Snu11zzfe

?
Snu11zzfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:15 AM   #7
CalPencil

My battery is dying in my old car, so I was thinking of buying a great lightweight battery for my celica, and trading the celica's battery into the old car. Well, I was looking around everywhere for a cheap price for this battery online, and the Odyssey925 goes usually around $135-$175.

But guess what I found!!! It's a diamond in the rough. I found the battery for under $100. In fact, it's $91.25!

I just wanted to pass on this great find for you guys. Oh yeah... this guide states it doesn't come with battery terminals, but he bought the one without them. They cost $17 to buy a set of terminals, but this model was designed for automotive use, so it comes with automotive terminals. Also, the shape isn't that long tall sized he has either, the dimensions are like a standard battery, but just shorter instead. It couldn't get any better!

Enjoy!

http://www.batteryplex.com/odyssey-d...m?model=PC925T
CalPencil is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:52 PM   #8
tsmithou812

I don't know how much you all realize, but if you use the odyssey battery, but if you use any form of gel or AGM battery, your not suppose to use a trickle charger on it at all. You need to use a battery charger that is made for AGM, or Gel batteries only. Using a regular battery charger, even if it's a trickle charger can damage these batteries and void all warranties on them. Trust me, I sell them for a living and do mods to alternator, starter systems, and I see this all the time. If you want a great battery for the Celica GT, or the GTS a DEKA 570dt will work just fine for under 100 bucks, and have all the power you need with out upping your alternator.
Later
Tim
www.pasco-m.com
tsmithou812 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:59 PM   #9
voidhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmithou812 View Post
I don't know how much you all realize, but if you use the odyssey battery, but if you use any form of gel or AGM battery, your not suppose to use a trickle charger on it at all. You need to use a battery charger that is made for AGM, or Gel batteries only. Using a regular battery charger, even if it's a trickle charger can damage these batteries and void all warranties on them. Trust me, I sell them for a living and do mods to alternator, starter systems, and I see this all the time. If you want a great battery for the Celica GT, or the GTS a DEKA 570dt will work just fine for under 100 bucks, and have all the power you need with out upping your alternator.
Later
Tim
www.pasco-m.com
Holy ancient thread revival batman ... since (as you pointed out) you sell Deka batteries, is it possible your advice may not be entirely unbiased? In regards to how best to charge odessey batteries, this may be helpful:

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/charging.htm
Old 10-27-2008, 03:09 AM   #10
tsmithou812

We carry East Penn Batteries which include the optimas, Deka, Panosonic's and we also carry Exide batteries which cover a lot of different brands. I quote Deka, because they have the most info on batteries out there. I will not sell anything to a person if they don't need it. I show people that what they have is still in good condition and they appreciate that kinda service. I don't work for commission at all, so the I won't make a sale based on money. I am an industrial electrician and I won't give the wrong advise based on product. Take a look at your link and see what it is telling you. There is a huge difference to the charge compared to normal batteries. I was just saying for the amount your paying you can get an great battery with a lot of kick without the expense of special equipment to support it. I'm not trying to create an argument for Deka. Exide also has a few that are great too, but you'll pay. If you need more info Hit me up!!
Later
Tim
www.pasco-m.com
tsmithou812 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:40 PM   #11
Celicasaur
Bring on the 12's...

I want a really light battery. My car will be used only in summer months and driven every other day. Would this battery be ok to use?

Hawker Odyssey PC625, 13lbs - 265CCA

http://www.gotbatteries.com/items.as...SL170/37L170S1

This link has a good range also

http://www.batterymart.com/c-odyssey-batteries.html

I need something as light as possible, but able to start the car happily if I drive it once every two or three days.

I wouldnt even mind having to use my stock battery for DD, then stick this one in (only takes a few minutes anyway) before I go racing

http://www.batterymart.com/p-odyssey-pc310-battery.html
Goals for 2014:
12's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2way View Post
While your speaking to your clergy about marriage ceremony, see if he does exorcisms.

Last edited by Celicasaur; 01-11-2009 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: needed to add more links
Celicasaur is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:57 AM   #12
zzt231 gr
Hardcore N/A

Send a message via MSN to zzt231 gr

I installed a lightweight battery for 55€.Here you can see how it compares to the stock one,according to the ECU box lid.It's rated 35Ah and 300CCA(i think)and weighs 10.6 kgs.
zzt231 gr is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:07 AM   #13
Celicasaur
Bring on the 12's...

Oooh nice. I went for the PC680 battery though. Weights 7kg and...ahhh I can't remember the specs off my head.
Goals for 2014:
12's!

Quote:
While your speaking to your clergy about marriage ceremony, see if he does exorcisms.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:14 AM   #14
zzt231 gr
Hardcore N/A

I think you are 17Ah's.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #15
Toxygene

Has anyone used Braille Batteries? Any opinions?

http://www.braillebattery.com/index.php/

Import Car Performance Tuning Network
Toxygene is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #16
Celicasaur
Bring on the 12's...

I can comment on my own odyssey pc680 battery but not the Braille...

So far, the battery seems to be happy to holt it's charge even when not used for long periods. It still happily shows well over 14.4~ volts when the car is notin use. For using the car, it's been fine to start up all the time.

I'll update in a few months time after it's had some real use though.
Goals for 2014:
12's!

Quote:
Old 09-07-2009, 01:51 AM   #17
In4Chad

Send a message via AIM to In4Chad
yo i was wondering if anyone tried this battery http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...tive+Batteries
In4Chad is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:47 AM   #18
zzt231 gr
Hardcore N/A

Strange...But maybe it's made in Hollywood!!
Old 04-14-2010, 06:28 AM   #19
RevHard

Send a message via MSN to RevHard
Does anybody already tried the BuddyClub batteries (RSB25 SMALL)?
Got mine a few weeks ago, 2 times smaller and ~10 lbs lighter than OEM, 22Ah.
I'll post pics ASAP!
Old 04-14-2010, 07:10 AM   #20
zzt231 gr
Hardcore N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevHard View Post
Got mine a few weeks ago, 2 times smaller and ~10 lbs lighter than OEM, 22Ah.
I'll post pics ASAP!
Sounds very good!!Lucky you!!!Awaiting for pics!
Old 04-14-2010, 08:17 AM   #21
RevHard

Here are the pics:

https://www.newcelica.org/photopost/s...hp?photo=45563
https://www.newcelica.org/photopost/s...hp?photo=45564
https://www.newcelica.org/photopost/s...hp?photo=45565

Not any problem so far, daily drived and no need of any recharge, also HID's & stereo work still the same than before.
Very good product for 190€!

Last edited by RevHard; 04-14-2010 at 08:23 AM..
RevHard is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:20 AM   #22
zzt231 gr
Hardcore N/A

Thanks for the pics.
I found that it weighs 16lbs.Where did you buy it from?Total price?
Old 04-14-2010, 08:33 AM   #23
RevHard

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzt231 gr View Post
Thanks for the pics.
I found that it weighs 16lbs.Where did you buy it from?Total price?
I bought it from www.avb-sports.be (http://www.avb-sports.be/universal/e.../battery/14749) @ 190€ picked-up.
It's very smaller than OEM, I even scared for that it would be delivering enough power... But it's very impressing even with 22Ah instead of 55 Just see how long it will last...
Old 04-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #24
Toxygene

Holy crap! Check out the new Lithium batteries by Braille. They cost a grip but look how light they are! 9lbs!

http://www.braillebattery.com/index....tteries/ml30c/

Import Car Performance Tuning Network
Toxygene is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:14 AM   #25
zzt231 gr
Hardcore N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevHard View Post
I bought it from www.avb-sports.be (http://www.avb-sports.be/universal/e.../battery/14749) @ 190€ picked-up.
It's very smaller than OEM, I even scared for that it would be delivering enough power... But it's very impressing even with 22Ah instead of 55 Just see how long it will last...
Thanks for the info!

By the way,mine came with 45Ah from the factory...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxygene View Post
Holy crap! Check out the new Lithium batteries by Braille. They cost a grip but look how light they are! 9lbs!

Wow,that sucker must be costing a leg!!
Old 03-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #26
SilverStorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxygene View Post

Wow!! It looks sick, but for $2000 it better work in all your cars, your kids cars, and your grandkids cars
SilverStorm is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #27
Skychan

Would the 15lb, 16Ah, 280CCA be enough to start the celica in Winterpeg in January after a few days of storage with the block heater plugged in?
Skychan is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #28
Punkers7465

I'm going to bump this thread back up instead of making another.

My battery is at least 5-6 years old and I was looking into getting a light weight battery. My car isn't entirely a track day special but it will go a few days (occasionally a bit over a week) without being driven. It's stored during winter. I'm currently looking into the 17 lb braille "no weight" battery that has a claimed 23a/h reserve. I'm not concerned with cca's etc because the car isn't driven during the winter and the agm batteries have a ton of ca's anyways but I was wondering a few things for those of you with lightweight batteries...

1. What battery did you choose?
2. How long have you had the battery?
3. How many days or weeks can your car go without being started before the battery is dead?

Another thing I'm worried about is battery lifespan. How long are these batteries supposed to last?

[email protected] with stock ecu/street tires
Punkers7465 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #29
Celicasaur
Bring on the 12's...

I've got Odyssey (spelt right??!) PC680 - it was faithful for my car while it was alive. I bought it new and for around 15 months it did just fine. Sure, if I felt the car for about 3 days without driving, it would crank a lot before starting, but I never got stranded anywhere with it. After my celica engine blew, my cousin took the battery and ran it on his S14 and it was fine in his car as well for about 10 months. I've got it back now and in my bedroom looking at me and it still holds over 12V according to my voltmeter.

I hope that helps.
Goals for 2014:
12's!

Quote:
Old 11-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #30
Punkers7465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celicasaur View Post
I've got Odyssey (spelt right??!) PC680 - it was faithful for my car while it was alive. I bought it new and for around 15 months it did just fine. Sure, if I felt the car for about 3 days without driving, it would crank a lot before starting, but I never got stranded anywhere with it. After my celica engine blew, my cousin took the battery and ran it on his S14 and it was fine in his car as well for about 10 months. I've got it back now and in my bedroom looking at me and it still holds over 12V according to my voltmeter.

I hope that helps.
Thanks, this is exactly the type of info I'm looking for! Sounds like the pc680 may be too small for my use as it's not unusual for me to not drive the celica for the better part of a week (sometimes longer) So how long has it been sitting in your bedroom holding 12v?

Old 11-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #31
Celicasaur
Bring on the 12's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkers7465 View Post
So how long has it been sitting in your bedroom holding 12v?
About 2 months I think...mind you, i'm probably going to sell it to a guy with a hunduh soon and buy a new one for my car in it's spring return to the road. Eventhough it holds a reasonable charge right now, i still wouldn't trust these battery's to stay faithful in the long run like a normal battery.

The weight savings are great though. This is half the weight of stock!
Goals for 2014:
12's!

Quote:
Old 11-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #32
Punkers7465

I just weighed my battery and it's over 36 lbs. It has a manufactured in 04 sticker on it so it's been quite the trooper... other than the acid everywhere/being heavy it's still working.

After doing some research I thinking I'm going to go with the Deka ETX30L. It's sealed, has 26 amp hours, weighs 21.7lbs and can be had for under $100. There are much lighter batteries but I'd like my battery to last a while and as I mentioned my celica doesn't get driven every day.

I probably wont order until I bring the car out of storage spring time but I'll likely update the thread then.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:01 AM   #33
TRlPPlN

Send a message via AIM to TRlPPlN Send a message via Yahoo to TRlPPlN
^^^please do so. i was looking at that battery too but im not sure if that will be good for me as i have a sub and amp. im not running a crazy set up but i just want to make sure that it'll be suffice.

{the8M6syndicate} - 004
TRlPPlN is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #34
Punkers7465

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlPPlN View Post
^^^please do so. i was looking at that battery too but im not sure if that will be good for me as i have a sub and amp. im not running a crazy set up but i just want to make sure that it'll be suffice.
About to get the celica out for the season and just purchased a Deka ETX30L off ebay (89$ shipped). I'll update everyone after a couple of weeks with the battery.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #35
Punkers7465

Short update: the battery works as it should. I've left the car sitting for almost a week and it starts right up without any hiccups. Assuming it lasts for a few years I would highly recommend.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #36
AFMichael
Mr. Carbon Fiber

Awesome. Update us again in a month?

Sent from my LG-P506 using Tapatalk

{the8M6syndicate} - 005
AFMichael is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #37
Punkers7465

I've been driving the car at least once a week but rarely drive it back to back days and the battery seems to be doing just fine. It hasn't stumbled during start or anything else to indicate I've gone too long without a charge.

Happy so far.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:33 AM   #38
Celicasaur
Bring on the 12's...

Thanks for the update
Goals for 2014:
12's!

Quote:
Old 05-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #39
00gtsshocker

Bump for help does it matter where the battery comes from like a atv motorcycle or anything like that? As long as it has the same cca and ca?
00gtsshocker is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #40
Celicasaur
Bring on the 12's...

Should be fine. Specs are key. Essentially a lot of these ARE motorcycle batteries, like the PC630 battery that I was even running in my car.
Goals for 2014:
12's!

Quote:
Old 10-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #41
AFMichael
Mr. Carbon Fiber

I'm going to be bumping this thread. Anyone have any info/updates on light weight batteries that is suitable for a daily driver.

{the8M6syndicate} - 005
AFMichael is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #42
RevHard

The BuddyClub RSB-25 I've had lasted around 1 year... It didn't like the winter
I recently found this: http://www.fensport.co.uk/Parts/Mode...ategory_6/4148
Sounds good but costs an arm and a leg...

Last edited by RevHard; 10-10-2012 at 09:57 PM..
RevHard is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:57 AM   #43
Punkers7465

Well short update on the Deka ETX30L:

Have had the battery for roughly a year and a half and I think I too abusive near the end.

The battery held a solid charge through and through so I wasn't too terribly worried about constantly charging it. Well, looking back on it I didn't keep it on the charger as frequently as I should have over the winter... But surprisingly enough it started right up at the beginning of the year -even after not being on the charger for a couple of weeks!

...then my car wasn't driven for a couple months during the summer and I left the battery in the car/didn't charge it at all. Apparently a couple months in the car will fully drain these batteries and even after charging it will no longer hold power as long as it used to. A week left sitting after a full charge and it'll be dead at this point when last year it wouldn't hesitate cranking in the slightest after a couple of weeks.

I think I'm going to try another ETX30 and simply do a better job keeping it charged. I have the feeling the battery would have lasted a lot longer had I taken care of it. Of course if I take care of it and it dies next year I'll look into other options.

I'll keep you all updated regardless.