Change A/C Control Color (Neon/Cold Cathode) - NewCelica.org Forum

Install Guides Parts Catalog Gallery Tech Info

Go Back   NewCelica.org Forum > Site Information & Features > NewCelica.org - Install Guides >    Interior

Support NCO
Google

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-24-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
hombredelassrta

Send a message via AIM to hombredelassrta
Change A/C Control Color (Neon/Cold Cathode)

NOTICE: Any suggestions made for installation in this thread are for professional electrical installers and for off road use only. Any modifications will not be covered by the dealer warranty nor will any warranty be given by newcelica or hombredelassrta. Neither newcelica nor hombredelassrta will be responsible for any damage done to the vehicle after following the suggestions in this thread.

For most of you who wish to change the color of your interior to something other then orange, you know the AC control area is a paint to change. There are 2 little leds that are a paint to get out and hard to find colored replacements. There are little bulb covers that u can put on but they will be dim, poor color and fade over time.

To overcome this, owners in the past have put neon, led and rope lights behind there to light it up different colors. In this install I use a 4” cold cathode. A good cheap site is: eBay for normally around $5-$15 . Cold Cathodes are good because they are normally brighter, cheaper, more efficient, and run cooler then neon’s. I use them because they are really cheap The only problem is they are made for computers so you have to cut the wires.

I also suggest unhooking the car battery before doing anything just to be safe. And as always I am not responsible to anything that happens to your car

1. In order to make cold cathodes work for the car you have to take the wires out of the moltex connectors. Look at the "Make Cold Cathodes work for your Car" install

2. With that done its time to install. Use the “taking apart the Console” install to get everything apart.

3. With the AC control area open you will see the black plastic surround in it. The 2 circled sides need to be cut out. I used tin snips but whatever works.

4. The cathode would not fit in with the little orange leds in there so I popped them out. They wouldn’t come out so I kinda broke them. But make sure not to break the circuit board itself.

5. The next problem is how to power it. With this you have a few options.

a.1st is to use a fuse tap. A “mini fuse tap” (you can get at pep boys) goes in the passenger side fuse box and makes another connection with its own fuse. I used this for my gauges. I have it tapped into the taillight fuse so whenever the lights come on, it comes on.

b.2nd method I have used is powering off the cig lighter. To do this u simply stick the wire into the little white plug on the back of the cig lighter. Tape it in to secure. I have all 5 of my cold cathodes running off of this area.

c.After getting power, you need a ground. A simple place to ground is to the plate under the steering wheel. I grounded mine between the bolt and the metal plate so it was wedged in there never had a problem yet.

d.Test to make sure everything works.

6. Final problem is, if you are not using a fuse tap, you need a switch to turn it on and off unless you want it on all the time. An example of what I did was drill 2 holes and install switches next to the shifter. But you can install switches anywhere you want.

7. Now put everything back together. A problem you may face is with the AC knobs fitting. On mine, if you tightened the screws all the way then the knobs would not turn around all the way. What I have to do is unscrew the screws a hair, test and do that till everything works.

8. You’re done!!!! And as always feel free to PM or email me with questions.

"Who Needs Moral Fiber When You Have Carbon Fiber"

Last edited by hombredelassrta; 11-17-2008 at 08:01 AM..
hombredelassrta is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
KooL

Any ideas on how to make the far right and the far left of the AC control brighter?
KooL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
v3bahumut
O_o

Use wide angle LED's instead of CCFL's

-2001 GT-T 6 speed-
-2001 4Runner Sr5 4x4-
-1974 VW Baja Beetle-
v3bahumut is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2008, 11:45 PM   #4
KooL

Does anyone know if EL wire uses the same inverter as the cathodes?
KooL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
kt07cheer

How Many cold cathodes?

How many 4
kt07cheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
hombredelassrta

only 1 works for the AC. the clock is another writeup, the cig lighter is a bulb and the radio we unsoldered the 40-50 orange leds and soldered in all new blue leds

Old 11-17-2008, 01:44 AM   #7
percivalized

power up

I'm having a hard time powering up my cold cathodes from the cig lighter.....could you clarify how to power it up from the cig lighter...did you cut out the moltex connectors on the yellow wire and connected the exposed wire to the cig lighter unit?? did you cut out the moltex connectors on the black and connected the exposed wire to the place your grounded the wires??? i'm not sure what i am doing wrong. this is my first real mod to my car and i'm having a tough time....please let me know. thanks.
percivalized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:56 AM   #8
hombredelassrta

hey buddy check out: https://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=275265 i would suggest not doing it exactly like i did, i would cut before the lower moltex so you dont have to worry about taping up that exposed pin. for the power, you can either use a quick connected red clamp and clamp onto the power wire coming out of the back, or the very simple way is simply shove the exposed wire into that white connector back and secure it very well with tamp .

note this was is not ideal, and i am not responsible for any damage to the car. proper install would require soldering the power onto a dedicated fused power source

Old 07-30-2009, 08:05 PM   #9
stingd21

hey how dd you change your clock light to blue as well? pm me back!
stingd21 is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:40 AM   #10
hombredelassrta

check under the install section, should have been near this one

Old 07-31-2009, 05:49 AM   #11
hombredelassrta

https://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=275259

Old 02-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #12
Danny_GTS

Hey man, did you have your center console painted in carbon fiber or is that the vinyl overlay? Looks amazingly glossy hehehe...
Danny_GTS is offline   View this Members' Photo Gallery Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:20 AM   #13
hombredelassrta

its just a cheap stickon dash kit you can get on ebay for 100-200. I would not recommended it as it is fake carbon fiber and for the most part I've vowed never to use fake crap again