NewCelica.org Forum banner
804 views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  2way 
#1 ·
After some help with my 2000 gts, auto. Has a random check engine light, will go off when turned off and will come back on after driving a while. Smoke from exhaust at idle only when warm. Smells like fuel. Also hesitates, bogs from idle till about 3000 rpm. Still goes into lift fine and has power but more at high revs. From a standstill it hesitates then picks up revs and speed. Has had new coils, maf and plugs. Could it be 02 sensors?

#7 ·
Aussies (OZ) got JDM versions if I remember correctly.

#10 ·
You'll have to get the code. The JDM's might be able to flash the code on the CEL. I don't remember.

#13 ·
It shouldn’t be ‘smelling rich’ with a catalytic converter, that’s its job.
The ECU is factory set and cannot be adjusted.
If it has a piggyback ecu I think it is at fault, take it off and send it to me, I’ll send you my spare ecu.. oh oops it’s a mania one.

if you’ve carby cleaned the Throttle body , maf and intake then I’m at a loss over the interweb.

Get the car up to good operating temp and try to get an exhaust pipe temp before and after the cat converter, take it for a 15 min blast and check the temps again. Output should be higher than input, if it’s the same before and after then either you waited too long or the cat has been removed. Hotter before cat is a blocked cat,( symptoms would be opposite though, choking up high idle ok).

old car guy says bogging low or hesitant low.. new points and condenser required.

do you have access to another crank sensor? Might be worth a try but best pay someone hundreds to run it on a dyno for you.

#16 ·
I thought we only had the one O2 sensor.

they are cheaper than any of the other things you’ve changed.

but it sounds like it’s rich like something in the cold start circuit, does it still have the hose plumbing decal underneath the bonnet?

#17 ·
I thought we only had the one O2 sensor.

they are cheaper than any of the other things you’ve changed.

but it sounds like it’s rich like something in the cold start circuit, does it still have the hose plumbing decal underneath the bonnet?
Not sure how to individually respond to everyone's comments and suggestions. But thank-you all for your input, advice and wisdom. Replaced my oxygen sensor and did a reset of the ecu . Car is finally fixed. Runs and drives absolutely sweet. No boggling, no hesitation, no exhaust smoke, no CEL. Now just gotta change the front struts

#19 ·
Could have been a Cali requirement. No idea.

but the us one would read before and after cat, ours is only before.

i wrote something long ago that confused 2Way in regard to one vs two Oxygen sensors. But don’t know what it was anymore

#20 ·
😆
You OZzies will see several differences vs. the USDM versions. LOL

Pretty sure you folks get the JDM versions or close to them.

Have fun with the struts.

• Haha
Reactions: Aidan96
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.