NewCelica.org Forum banner

00 gt front brake swap?

6K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  toyfighter 
#1 ·
Need some support on switching my front brake.

Everybody knows that the front disc-brake on 00 gt is different from all the other 7th gens (01-05 gt and 00-05 gts). Since I'm going to to a rear disc to drum conversion on my 00 gt, the rear rotor gonna be bigger than the stock front! Thus I want to upgrade my front brakes too, to the gts standard. I know doing that would probably lead to o performance gain or what so ever, but I do want a better look though.

So, has anyone done that before? I need to know what parts do I need from a gts. I'm sure if I got the whole assembly it will work, but I'm wondering what's the minimum parts that I really need (save some money~). I guess the caliper assembly?

Also, what's the really the difference? It's the rotor size, or caliper size, or both? Can a gts front disc (10.8") fit in the 00 gt? I heard I need 99 gt pads for my 00 front. Confused....

Thanks all!

#2 ·
It would be similar to doing the drum to disc conversion. To answer some of your questions:

You would need everything from the knuckle forward except the hub; they are the same for every 7th Gen Celica so you would need the splash shield, caliper, rotor and pads.

All of the parts I listed are the minimum. The 2000 GT splash shield isn't large enough for the larger size of the 2001-2005 GT/2000-2005 GT-S rotors.

Both the caliper and rotors are larger on the 2001-2005 GT/2000-2005 GT-S front brake system.

On a side note this should be a much easier conversion than the drum to disc conversion, you don't have e-brakes to screw around with or a backing plate. I will be doing the drum to disc on my 2000 GT soon (just got the parts this weekend). I didn't happen to find any front brake components for 2001-2005 GT/2000-2005 GT-S but I'm keeping my eyes peeled and when I get them I will do the conversion for the front.

#3 ·
I have done this. Its easy. I must say its on a European GT from 2000 with 255 front discs. I want to go to 275 mm (GTS) discs. i have a turbo on it now ;-)

You need. 3 parts:
GTS (275mm) brake discs,
GTS brake pads;
The "thing" what holds the brake pads. I dont know how its called in english.

you can use your own splash shield and calipers. It fits!!!

#5 ·
I just did this swap today. Sorry for the necro bump, but there seems to be a little confusion...

All you need is the pads, rotors, caliper, and caliper bracket. You DONT need the hub/spindle. The one on the 2000 GT will work no problems. I have a 2000 GT and everything fit perfect. The only thing I had to do was bend the backing plate a little bit out of the way so it wouldn't rub against the rotors.

Here's the parts list I used:
CENTRIC 10308170 (103.08170) Brake Pad
CENTRIC 12144114 (121.44114) Rotor
POWER STOP L2580 Caliper
POWER STOP L2581 Caliper

No need for the spindle/hub from a GTS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.