NewCelica.org Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
It is the only original component in the system.
BTW, the calipers have "L" and "R" cast right into them in case you have problems with such things. I guess if you really did know the cars then you would also know that the brake hoses wouldn't install either @Sheik Ya Bootie
Still looking for an intelligent response on ABS bleeding.

All good..

Every time you make something idiot proof, along comes a better idiot.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Ur brake pedal will always feel different standing still vs moving. Put ur tires on go for a drive. Chances are ur over thinking it, iv seen quite a few rookies do this chasing their tail with me tellin them to drive the thing and it turn out perfect with my lunch being paid for the next day. If theres still a legit issue gravity bleeding has NEVER failed me in all my time working on a magnitude of vehicles.

If theres no air in the lines then ull have full pressure. Stop with this abs air bullshit ur getting no where fast. If ur wanting us to say its the problem it wont happen. I have NEVER heard of one of these abs systems have that problem. Ur jeep buddy doesnt know toyotas or celicas hense why hes a jeep guy. If you wanted to lift ur celica maybe talk to him about putting wood blocks where there not supposed to go. But back to why ur here. You have 3 or 4 likely possibilites.

1 air in the line which is most likely.
2 internally leaking calipers
3 swollen brake hose or internally collapsed
4 bad master

Thats it.

2000 GTS Turbo

·
Registered
120 Posts
You are not, by chance, jacking one end or one side to bleed then progressing to the other points and jacking bleeding??

Do you own 4 car stands and have the car pretty much level-ish?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was re-reading and noted you had issues so have no baseline to judge it.

I was also remembering that one race I had a spongey pedal in the pits but went out just to test some other things. Once driving, as MX said, I had a rock hard, good as ever pedal.. freaky thing..

@MX, there is another rare thing snd that’s a brake pad picking up.. causing the backing plate to bend or flex inside the Caliper..

he brakes were a mess from the longtime PO. (another time in this car's life, it was in my driveway with metal/metal in the front) RR caliper was metal on metal with a hyper extended piston. Left rear was frozen. Had to pull the wheel and sledgehammer it to get the car home. Surprisingly this guy had been driving it and was going to continue until the seizure. He told me the master is fairly new (looks like it) and the car ha

This big worries me a fair bit.. to What did you take the sledge hammer and why please?

·
Registered
28 Posts
The celica brakes are over boosted and will never be firm. Its a horrible feel pedal. Only firm when engine is off.
I went through the same headache.
Changed master, bench bled, rebuilt all calipers, changed to stainless braided lines.
Reverse bled, vacuum bled, stamp on pedal bled and finally pressure bled.
The pressure bleeding finally got loose some air somewhere!! No idea where. I have no abs so the only thing it could be was air in the connection block strapped to the firewall. I cannot see anything else in the lines.
i race this car and the brakes work fantastic but i hate the spongy feel and long pedal travel. My Miata is rock solid and right at the top.
I asked another racer with the same car and he said “been there”
You must bench bleed the master on these then after that try having someone pump up the brakes and stand on it with all his strength and quickly open the bleeder. Try to jolt the air.
I believe it will be air but i totally understand.
I went through tons of fluid. Used the cheapest i could find until it was the best it could be and flushed it out.

·
Registered
2000 GTS, auto, ABS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The celica brakes are over boosted and will never be firm. Its a horrible feel pedal. Only firm when engine is off.
I went through the same headache.
Changed master, bench bled, rebuilt all calipers, changed to stainless braided lines.
Reverse bled, vacuum bled, stamp on pedal bled and finally pressure bled.
The pressure bleeding finally got loose some air somewhere!! No idea where. I have no abs so the only thing it could be was air in the connection block strapped to the firewall. I cannot see anything else in the lines.
i race this car and the brakes work fantastic but i hate the spongy feel and long pedal travel. My Miata is rock solid and right at the top.
I asked another racer with the same car and he said “been there”
You must bench bleed the master on these then after that try having someone pump up the brakes and stand on it with all his strength and quickly open the bleeder. Try to jolt the air.
I believe it will be air but i totally understand.
I went through tons of fluid. Used the cheapest i could find until it was the best it could be and flushed it out.
You have TL:DR also.

Bench bled the master. everything on the car but the abs is new.
Again, no one is answering the question:
Does this car support auto bleed? Anyone successfully used a scan tool to do this? I also would like to be able to test the wheel sensors.

·
Registered
2000 GTS, auto, ABS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You are not, by chance, jacking one end or one side to bleed then progressing to the other points and jacking bleeding??

Do you own 4 car stands and have the car pretty much level-ish?
I jack it up with 2 floor jacks. Jack stands are for pussies.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,471 Posts
You're getting an ABS warning- read the code. :rolleyes: Use either a code scanner or trigger the ABS light code output.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts