NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
changed oil to valvoline 5w20 part syn. Took top cover of engine off to see inside for sludge. some sludge was present. wiped up. the reason to switch to a part syn from usual mobile 1 5w30 was bc have been told conventional burns more clean than syn and could cause sludge.

while the cover was off, about ruined both of the small engine parts which go on both sides of the front of the engine (towards the top, maybe something to do with the camshaft). had took both out to see if cleaing was needed. striped the left one's nut and had to work to get it off. the right one...broke the bolt off in which connects it to the engine. ended up drilling a small hole in the broken bolt and putting a new screw in the hole to hold the part in the engine. Once left one was off, tried unscrewing hex bolt in middle. it stripped bc the hex key wasn't the right fit. was scared adjusted the piece too much and needed to turn it back. sooo, got drimel & cutting blade - cut a line across the face to make a flat head screw driver slot. 1st atempt failure bc didn't cut it too clean and started to strip.
next atempt little success, but still think it needed to go further and it was starting to strip . soo, thought to drill a hole in the center of where hex hole was to maybe use a screw to turn it more. drilled the hole and it went straight through to something else and stopped . chanced it and put it back on the engine (with a new bolt because the other one stripped the outside. talk about some weak metal

the car was running really really good. it seemed the thinner oil gave me more acceleration.

Had access to an old abandond airport runway roads and firgured it was time to give the car a good run. running wide open in 5th at around 140mph (the valvoline symbole with my rpm and mph gauge . was paying close attention to the car. was at top speed like such for possibly 1 min. car started to smoke some, not a lot. *** my temperature guage didn't read hot when the car started smoking. it only smoked for 1-2 seconds before got out of the gass. parked car and checked oil- seemed green. noticed my coolant had run out (PROBABLY THE REASON FOR THE ENGINE FAILURE?) did have some Amsoil *eco friendly coolant so refilled. no cell and no one knew my location..so figured had to start way home, 60+ miles. parked car at closest store to try and call and figure out to have it towed or what. talked to a guy...he told me the engine had cracked and he seen it happen lots of times. he said it would last long at all, not even 30 miles. told him was had hoped the engine did crack, but somehow sealed itself leaving the coolant in the oil. it was my feeling the engine was alright and something special had happened.

so, started home, but the engine started to overheat. thought because the oil was too thin with coolant, so bought some conventional 5w30 in hopes it would get me home. had two ppl stop and help me jack the car and change the oil. didn't spill a drop?

it didn't help the overheat problem. so, drove it 30+ miles overheating somewhat. arriving close to my destination, car started to run rough and some smoke was coming from engine compartment.

the the car did last 60+ miles and figure it was a testiment to my driving tech or toyota durability?

UPDATE
but, do you guys agree it is kinda weird story about the green oil? the smoke for 1 to 1.5 seconds (then no more) running top end not getting out of the gas (while the temperature guage was NOT overheating)? the car running all the way home? and the emergency oil coming out looking as good as when it went in?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Somewhere in your narrative it sounds like you may have blown a head gasket, which could be the source of your green oil.
I suggest that the car needs a proper, professional mechanical diagnosis to decide what to do next.
Dentman

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.