NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
#1. Why did toyota switch the knock sensor on the '02-up models? Is it better?

#2. Does a car have more knock at Idle then at 3k?

#3. Is there anything mechanicaly different about the '02 engine then the 00.

Reason I ask this is that my friend did the rev limiter conversion on his '02 GTS. Now it seems like the car is knocking when starting up. Sounds like a Diesel almost. BUt the sound goes away in higher RPM's.

Now I'm thinking it could also be Valve clearance or the Cam gear TSB. BUT it never hurts to look at all the angles.

Now if the 00 engine is a bit diff then the 02 engine. Would putting and 00 knock sensor and ECu on the 02 engine cause knock?

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I ran the knocksensor/ecu swap for about a year with no problems. Supposedly the 2 wire knocksensor is better at detecting the knock. I think something was changed in the head but Im not totally sure about that.

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by DYI01
I ran the knocksensor/ecu swap for about a year with no problems. Supposedly the 2 wire knocksensor is better at detecting the knock. I think something was changed in the head but Im not totally sure about that.
Are you using the '00 or '02 knock sensor?

If its the 00 it could be where your getting all that knock from with the pfc.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Knock sensor does not cause knock. You may be getting some noise on the circuit though.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I am using a 00 knocksensor right now. The knock that I am getting with the PFC is all about my tuning, it just needs to be tuned out. Right now I've been running on my 00 ecu for a while for some warranty work I'm having done. I 'm having no issues with it at all, it runs perfectly. Im nor going back to the dyno untill I have my header and exhaust completed.

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Boosted2.0
Knock sensor does not cause knock. You may be getting some noise on the circuit though.
:chuckles: I know this. But if the 00 sensor is not a sensitive as the 02 one and the ECU doesn

·
Registered
918 Posts
Ive asked monkeywrench about this. I've been running the 01 swap for a while now, they say the only reason you would want to switch back to the 02 knock sensor is to sell the 01 ecu and knock sensor combo.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
MicaCeli said:
:chuckles: I know this. But if the 00 sensor is not a sensitive as the 02 one and the ECU doesn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts