NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did a few runs on the freeway with my buddy who has a tiburon,
I had my 18's on at the time but raced him anyway, the first 3 runs were from a roll at about 3-4k.. 2nd and 3rd gear. needless to say he got me by 1-2 cars on each of those.
the last 3 were from 5.5k -6k again 2nd and 3rd gear rolls. and I pulled on each of those.
My question is this:
is the torque of the tibby that much more for him to pull that badly while I'm at 3-4k, or is my celica in need of a serious tune up? I mean, I know we dont make a ton of power down low but this is ridiculous.
I need to get my 16s back on and race him again lol
anyway thats my story, anyone have any experiences with tibbys?
he says its bone stock except for a exhaust/intake, but I still have a hard time believing that he could pull on me that badly at 4k
any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Celicas are dogs below lift.... Plus he's got more cubes than you. Size does matter when it comes to speed.... But that doesn't mean you don't need a tune up. It wouldn't take much for a Celica to beat a "Tibby" tho. Time for some MODS!!
:burnout:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,364 Posts
He has more torque available sooner. The Celica is a torqueless wonder. On top of the fact that you have an 02. If You had the 00 ECU then you would beat him much worse.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,355 Posts
tiburons have such an ugly torque curve...lose the bling wheels and im positive youll get him
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
we ran on all american after morganton till it runs out and turns into owen drive.
stupid place to race I know, but it happens.

I'm sure I could have pulled much better with the 16's instead of my 18s, but tires on my stockies are dead, need to get new ones.

Oh and I do have the 00 ecu swap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,365 Posts
hmmm, i race tibs before and walk them all day long, im not sure of the 06 one, but i put at least 3-4 cars on a couple tibs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Dude, get your ass into lift and stay there. You'll walk him :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,355 Posts
not with those bling ass rims he wont..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,364 Posts
lVlemphizStylez said:
tiburons have such an ugly torque curve...lose the bling wheels and im positive youll get him
The rims didnt hinder him as much as you think. Evenif he had the 16's starting at 3-4k he would still get walked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
718 Posts
First of all why did you start racing him at 3-4k rpms anyways, thats just asking to get your ass whooped. There is a reason why the Celica has much more aggressive gearing, to utilize the high rpm power of the GT-S. If you were in 2nd gear @ 3-4k, then dowshift to 1st to stay as close to 6k as possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,254 Posts
race hime at 3-4 k in first gear and he might get a jump but once u get to second gear and on u will walk him pretty easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
928 Posts
next time if your in second roll on at ~45mph...3rd roll on at least above 60mph...rolling on in a GTS @ that low of an RPM is just lame...i woldnt even consider it a race if a GTS was rolling on w/ me at that low of an RPM...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,751 Posts
i got some doushe at work who also is claiming he'll beat me..hes got ss/inake/exhuast and i think the only thing hp wise hes getting is a header or headers whatever they get..i got a 03 gts ss/intake/exhuast but i got a few goodies myself going in..flywheel/clutch/header plus other minor mods like ground kit.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,355 Posts
NoRulzAt140 Mph said:
The rims didnt hinder him as much as you think. Evenif he had the 16's starting at 3-4k he would still get walked.
youre telling me 18 inch rims compared to 15 or 16 inch rims wont affect your performance down the 1320?? ok...

and i wasnt talking about just starting out at 3-4k...im talking about the complete outcome of a full on race (this means dig)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well the reason I went from a roll that slow on the first few runs is bc he knows he can out-torque me and wanted to go from that low.. I figured I'd lose, but not that badly.
I think he has a few other mods hes not tellin about, not sure tho.
once I was on the big cam I would pull every time, even with the 18s...
I'm gonna race again once I get my boosted header and decat done.. with the 16's
I should run away from him pretty good then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,225 Posts
RevHappyGTS said:
First of all why did you start racing him at 3-4k rpms anyways, thats just asking to get your ass whooped. There is a reason why the Celica has much more aggressive gearing, to utilize the high rpm power of the GT-S. If you were in 2nd gear @ 3-4k, then dowshift to 1st to stay as close to 6k as possible.
Are you stupid? Downshift into first? Can we say no please? That would be a terrible idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,954 Posts
SickCelica696 said:
RevHappyGTS said:
First of all why did you start racing him at 3-4k rpms anyways, thats just asking to get your ass whooped. There is a reason why the Celica has much more aggressive gearing, to utilize the high rpm power of the GT-S. If you were in 2nd gear @ 3-4k, then dowshift to 1st to stay as close to 6k as possible.
Are you stupid? Downshift into first? Can we say no please? That would be a terrible idea.
:werd: just goofin off w/ tibby's on the highway, my advice is to stay around 5k rpms, right b4 lift. 4th gear lift is great and thats where i started pull.
 

·
It is known.
Joined
·
8,239 Posts
lVlemphizStylez said:
NoRulzAt140 Mph said:
The rims didnt hinder him as much as you think. Evenif he had the 16's starting at 3-4k he would still get walked.
youre telling me 18 inch rims compared to 15 or 16 inch rims wont affect your performance down the 1320?? ok...
It depends on the weight of the wheel. Wheel size really doesn't come into play unless you don't get a tire to offset a bigger wheel.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,355 Posts
youve seen an 18 inch wheel thats lighter than most 15's?? hmm...i understand all youre saying....but being realistic, there is a 90% chance his 18's are heavy as hell...
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top