NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
this is my first post, I have a 2003 Celica VVTi 143HP with 6-speed manual transmission (euro spec, I live in Italy), car runs like a clock (just 87000 kms) but since when I bought it, 3 years ago, I have this little issue never solved. When accelerating at low rpms, a little before 2000rpm till 2700rpm circa, I have this little wave like acceleration, hesitation, it is not easily noticed. Imagining it was the mass air flow sensor, I first tried to clean it, but the situation did not improved, then to change it, and when I changed it I also installed a new filter (OEM size) from TOM'S Japan, after this the hesitation has worsened while at high revs the car seems to perform better. So I tried to put back old MAF and the situation was identical. I doubt could be injectors or fuel pump because when there is humidity, rain or I wash the car, this defect is more evident. So I guess it's a sensor. I don't have any warning light on and idle rpms are perfect. And every time I changed something I did an ECU reset. So what could it be?

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,358 Posts
Checked the spark plugs? Can you do a data log & see what's going on?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the answer, I changed the spark plugs less than 1000 km ago, and in fact I should buy a serious obd scanner, but I don't know which one can give me all the parameters in real time, because I already know that if I go to Toyota Dealer they take 50 Euros of the diagnosis and they conclude nothing.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I like and use my bluedriver obd2 scanner religiously. Its a great tool

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like and use my bluedriver obd2 scanner religiously. Its a great tool

I have read some reviews and it seems that Bluedriver has some problems with the VIN numbers of the cars sold in Europe, or in any case not sold in America, but I could take the risk and buy it anyway, because it seems the best value for money.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a bluedriver obd too, after my old obd reader died.. doesn't read my VIN on my 02 Celica and it was purchased in America.... It does read my truck's VIN, but its a whole 5 years newer and purchased in America.... I guess its subjective based on age and region??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a bluedriver obd too, after my old obd reader died.. doesn't read my VIN on my 02 Celica and it was purchased in America.... It does read my truck's VIN, but its a whole 5 years newer and purchased in America.... I guess its subjective based on age and region??
on the bluedriver website in the supported vehicles section, there is the celica GT and GTS, the problem is that in Europe they sell the celica with the VVti and VVtli nomenclature, but the difference is that the VVti which is the equivalent of the american GT has the six-speed manual, and other small differences like the VSC while in America only the GTS has it. So maybe i should try another OBD, i read Autel AP200 is a good product too, and there are other options

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yeah sorry about that, im not to keen on the eu differences with usa and canada domedtic markets

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
However, if I solve the problem I will update the post, maybe it can be of help to someone else. For sure an OBD scanner is a necessary purchase, I am evaluating various brands including Autel, OBDLink MX and others, if anyone has positive experiences with a bluetooth scanner for Celica besides bluedriver, maybe let me know, thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Heard good things on the Autel scanners too...

I chose the bluedriver OBD2 as it accessed slightly more manufacturers.. including the BMW and Mercedes as I was shopping for some used ones at the time, and didn't want a stand alone to it.... ultimately decided against getting one, but had purchased it by then....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
blackdemon_tt You were right to buy Bluedriver since you are in the US, and the app works fine, but I just downloaded their app for a try, and I can confirm that it doesn't recognize European market VINs. I made a comparison between the VIN of my car and the US VINs (taken from ebay motors) and with the US ones the app recognizes the model, with the VIN of my Celica it does not. So in europe Bluedriver is totally useless ...

·
Registered
25 Posts
In Australia these don’t use obd2 nor the earlier eobd. Plug is the same but they won’t read the cars.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Check vacuum lines from air box to throttle body.

If they are not plugged in or cracked/broken they can cause the engine to sputter on acceleration.

Also tighten all grounding points around the ECU/battery/fuse box. Poor grounds would cause the electrical system to act weird on wet rainy days.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hello, I have a little update. First thing, I changed a second time the mass air flow sensor (Denso DMA-0108), for fear that the first one who sent me amazon had some problems, reset the ECU again, but nothing, still sobbing in acceleration at low revs. I also ordered a paper air filter from mann-filter, but I was having trouble closing the air filter box, so I left the TOM's air filter, in the meantime I ordered the original air filter from japan, along with other things. However the most relevant update today, it was about 8000KMs and a year and a half that I did not change the engine oil, together with the engine oil I changed the manual gearbox oil for a third time, I put 2 liters of motul 300v 75w90 and that very little remaining I had a new bottle of liqui moly (75w90 too). But I am sure that last time the mechanic put the oil from the wrong hole, instead this time with me at the side of the mechanic we put it to the right fill hole (right side fill hole, I have the 6-speed manual) and those 2-300ml more entered precisely. And as engine oil the motul 300v power racing 5w30. Once restarted the car seemed reborn ... excellent gearbox and engine also, still minimal, but just minimal hesitation. Now the decisive test will be cold tomorrow with a cold car, but I think I have partially solved the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Check vacuum lines from air box to throttle body.

If they are not plugged in or cracked/broken they can cause the engine to sputter on acceleration.

Also tighten all grounding points around the ECU/battery/fuse box. Poor grounds would cause the electrical system to act weird on wet rainy days.

Good luck.
by the way I also checked several times that there was nothing detached next to the air filter box. I took it apart completely and cleaned it, removing that little valve and putting everything back in place.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts